3 - Movement III: Curator
03. Painters Of The Tempest (Part III): Reveries From The Stained Glass Womb
04. Pyrrhic
05. Devour Me, Colossus (Part I): Blackholes
06. Devour Me, Colossus (Part II): Contortions

The Best Extreme Progressive Metal Album Of 2014
Top 20 albums of 2014: 5

Additional info
Produced by Troy McCosker and Tim Charles.

Staff review by
Mattybu
Rating:
N/A
I find Citadel to be a very special album. There is a sort of checklist you can go down when preparing to listen to this kind of modern extreme progressive metal, and Ne Obliviscaris basically hit everything on it... But they go a bit further than that.

Read more ››
published 13.01.2015 | Comments (18)

Found in 69 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 147   Visited by: 1592 users
12.11.2014 - 14:07
Zap
Written by Guest on 11.11.2014 at 10:14

Ye the clean vocals really have a way of splitting the listeners. They're an improvement from PoI and fortunately they don't bug me.

I actually like the clean vocals, though it's the overall sound I can't get into (anymore).
13.11.2014 - 12:42
Rating: 10
Korah

This album is just wonderful
----
Don't cry for my English
15.11.2014 - 19:43
Alondate

The only thing that bothers me is that the length of the album is not long as the debut :/
16.11.2014 - 07:41
Rating: 10
Hollenfahrt

Perfection
16.11.2014 - 09:59
Rating: 8
ke ke

Good Album.Deserves to be in 2014 top 10,but not the best album of the year and doesn't deserve a 9 rating for sure.
16.11.2014 - 10:24
Ganondox

Written by Alex F on 10.11.2014 at 22:34

Written by Risto on 10.11.2014 at 21:55

Uh, not really... even though they get a fair amount of votes here. Underground favourite, but not much more. They'll be exposed to so many new ears that it's not easy to predict such a decline in average rating this time around.

Perhaps popular isn't the best way to phrase it, but Vombatus is definitely right in some regards. Metal Storm, Metal Archives, and a variety of other metal forums seem to collectively (through the user base, not staff) regard Ne Obliviscaris as the second coming of Christ. While popular compared to some of the top selling musical acts of the modern age they certainly are NOT, it's important to look at the band in the perspective others use. Ne Obliviscaris are about as popular as any extreme prog band has/will ever be, and rival quite a few modern prog metal bands in terms of popularity in terms of devoted fans and (i'm assuming) album sales.

I wouldn't say that are that popular for an extreme prog metal band, look at Opeth. They are more popular in a hipster sort of way, incredibly popular within the underground and critically acclaimed, but haven't breached into the relative mainstream.
16.11.2014 - 16:42
Lethrokai

Written by Ganondox on 16.11.2014 at 10:24

I wouldn't say that are that popular for an extreme prog metal band, look at Opeth. They are more popular in a hipster sort of way, incredibly popular within the underground and critically acclaimed, but haven't breached into the relative mainstream.

Pretty much this. I've been adminning a Dream Theater fanpage for a while now, and once we tried posting them once for exposure. The result was far less noticeable than when we posted, say, Opeth, for example. Same thing happened when we tried promoting Citadel's release on a general Prog fan page. They are hyped quite a bit in the underground scenes, but very few people in the mainstream really know or care for them.

On another note, this is pretty enjoyable. I thought Portal Of I was alright, and it looks like I'm gonna think the same of this from what I've heard so far. Nothing particularly special yet. That being said I'm only half way through the album. Probably a strong 7 for me right now. Just hoping it'll do something a bit... more... with it's sound.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
16.11.2014 - 21:20
Ganondox

Written by Alex F on 11.11.2014 at 00:10

It's not as bad as I was expecting to be honest, and I even enjoyed a good portion of the riffing, however the vocals are atrocious in my honest opinion, and a lot of the melodies came across as forced and slightly washed out (really emotionless and hard for me to get into). A tad disappointed, as I actually thought I'd be able to enjoy the whole thing given the portions that I did actually like. Ugh I'm revisiting the second song right now and really realizing how much I fucking hate the clean vocals (I'm at the 8:20ish mark if anyone wants to see what I mean). I gave it a shot, but just can't dig it.

I for one fucking love the clean vocals.
17.11.2014 - 00:04
Rating: 7
Nihil Aeternum

Nobody dares to review this album?
17.11.2014 - 01:05
Rating: 9
ATG

Wasn't too sure if this would be as good as everyone says but definitely a prog metal classic made in the books along with all the greats from Opeth and Dream Theater really unique in a genre that has turned really unimaginative with what can be done.
17.11.2014 - 02:37
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Nihil Aeternum on 17.11.2014 at 00:04

Feel free to do so
17.11.2014 - 08:22
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Nihil Aeternum on 17.11.2014 at 00:04

Users need to wait til December 7, for now it's up to the staff.
17.11.2014 - 13:22
lenirI

From my objective perspective regarding quallity in music and also innovation, I will name this album a masterpiece.
18.11.2014 - 09:19
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Got my copy from Amazon today. Turns out I accidentally ordered vinyl instead of cd. Oops.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
19.11.2014 - 12:27
Rating: 6
PēterisP

They have mixed together everything that has been done in progressive metal before without caring about "normal album structure", "normal melodies" etc.

So you get album which is easy and interesting to listen, but after it is gone, at least I can t remember neither any melodie (riffs), nor any specific moment where I can say - yeah, this is Ne Obliviscaris
----
Metalhead since 1987
19.11.2014 - 16:27
John Shock

This is now on top 200 on Metalstorm best rated albums, so...haters gonna hate
For me?
I'm very proud of my existence, so i can listen to this wonderful band!!!
19.11.2014 - 17:12
Spanishkiller

Written by Legmeister on 09.11.2014 at 13:52

3 interludes that can only be classed as classical music[...]

Destroying a violin does not count as classical music.
19.11.2014 - 17:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Schnabeltier 24 on 11.11.2014 at 13:44

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. Especially by the clean parts, which don't hold the same emotions as in their debut. I'll give it some more spins, maybe it'll grow on me...

That's what I thought too. I thought the clean vocals in the debut was great and as you say emotional. This time it felt forced and most of the times it sounds pretty bad or something from a typical metalcore song.
----
19.11.2014 - 19:51
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Warman on 19.11.2014 at 17:54

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. Especially by the clean parts, which don't hold the same emotions as in their debut. I'll give it some more spins, maybe it'll grow on me...

That's what I thought too. I thought the clean vocals in the debut was great and as you say emotional. This time it felt forced and most of the times it sounds pretty bad or something from a typical metalcore song.

Don't know if the user you quoted was referring to clean singing only. The metalcore card made me chuckle, considering how far ahead Tim is of most core singers technically
20.11.2014 - 00:27
Maglor

Written by John Shock on 19.11.2014 at 17:37

Written by Maglor on 19.11.2014 at 16:36

I agree, they now will start to rate 1 to make the album disappear of top 200.

I don't care about that, all i keep in mind is about the music, and how it makes me feel a little better, and how it inspires me to write my own songs!!!

Totally agree, it's my style of listen and life too
----
Maglor
21.11.2014 - 00:48
John Shock

Written by Maglor on 20.11.2014 at 00:27

Written by John Shock on 19.11.2014 at 17:37

I don't care about that, all i keep in mind is about the music, and how it makes me feel a little better, and how it inspires me to write my own songs!!!

Totally agree, it's my style of listen and life too

Cheers to that
Unfortunately, not all of us think the same way as we do my friend!
Others just live to judge instead of "taste" for themselves!!!
21.11.2014 - 04:47
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
From what I can remember, the debut wasn't as stylistically diverse as this album. Despite that improvement, it seems they still haven't amended some of the prime issues with their songwriting, namely those incredibly bland classical-esque passages.
22.11.2014 - 23:41
Schnabeltier 24

Written by Risto on 19.11.2014 at 19:51

Written by Warman on 19.11.2014 at 17:54

Don't know if the user you quoted was referring to clean singing only. The metalcore card made me chuckle, considering how far ahead Tim is of most core singers technically

Yeah, my post was most about the lack of emotion in the music in general, not particularly the vocals. Tim sings pretty well, but this time the vocal lines were not inspired.
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
24.11.2014 - 13:59
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Been listening to this profusely over the past few weeks, even if it was only to convince myself that it's anywhere near as good as the debut....but it's not. The thing that gets me is that, instead of harnessing their own sound, this album shares way more similarities to various other bands than the previous album. And that is a bit of a let down....

Portal of I sounded unique and adventurous in it's totality, nothing else sounds like it. Citadel swings by, and strangely enough, they lost some of that unique sound - it almost feels as the albums were done in reverse. It's less mature and intriguing than the debut. Very few memorable bits and a handful of hooks as opposed to Portal of I which, to me, had a whole string of really amazing sections all the way through.

I don't know...perhaps they tried to be too aggressive, the vocals got worse and the songs sort of fall flat. I never feel like listening any of the songs on repeat, whereas the previous album would be on constant replay for weeks on end.
25.11.2014 - 14:23
Ilham
Giant robot
I don't get the hype. It's just toughened-up noodly-prog with cute violin moments. Definitely not bad, but really nothing to go crazy about. Boy people are easily impressed by this type of stuff.
25.11.2014 - 17:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ilham on 25.11.2014 at 14:23

I don't get the hype. It's just toughened-up noodly-prog with cute violin moments. Definitely not bad, but really nothing to go crazy about. Boy people are easily impressed by this type of stuff.

Let's not even talk about their debut... or their demo. Just check the reviews of the later one in MA. It's insane.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.11.2014 - 21:38
ScottyM

I don't get it... Why the hype?
28.11.2014 - 15:24
_deepblack

Written by Guest on 27.11.2014 at 17:46

Just got back from a NeO+ Beyond Creation gig. Never really enjoyed BC's material and unfortunately I didn't think much of them live either. NeO was ballistic. They can definitely put on a show. It's up there with the likes of Sabaton, which is high praise imo.

you sir
are a very lucky person i wish i could attend it too im sure watching these two bands live is hell of a fun
28.11.2014 - 15:35
_deepblack

My actual rating is 8.5 i think our friends in Australia have a very interesting band they have spent about 9 years for their first album Portal Of I and one of their tracks has been choosed to be studied in Sydney Conservatorium
So I think that they are hell of a composer for them selves and they spent a lot of time on their music
BUT sometimes between those good moments of Violin and guitars Dueting , vocals get pretty annoying thats why their instrumental tracks are their best tracks
30.11.2014 - 08:00
Rating: 5
The Melting Snow

It's annoying. they try to create a complicating thing, needlessly, and they end up making confused, convoluted songs.

Hits total: 32189 | This month: 26