Metal Storm logo
The Worst "Popular" Metal Albums

I realize the importance of these albums to the genres, and the influence they have had. however I do not find these albums really that great and pleasurable due to the competition and elimination through these decades of musical evolution. I respect these bands for releasing something so creative, conceptual and also brought us to the new dimension in the past.

My opinions are solely personal which are based on its musical value in modern era, not for its historical significance.

I received complaints from some members about rating their favorite albums at low scores. Unfortunately I am not able to do anything which is against my own will in order to please some of you.

I apologize in advance for my poor english which restricted me for answering some of your questions and requests. On the other hand I was not able to convey my message efficiently due to the reason above mentioned that had caused a lot of misunderstandings.

Definition :
Overrated : A term used to describe something that gets more hype and credit than it's actually worth.
Classic : (adjective) of the first or highest quality, class, or rank. (noun) Something noteworthy of its kind and worth "remembering".

****************************************************************************************************
1) All albums listed are considered OVERRATED in my personal point of view.
2) Opinions are solely personally, I hope interference from the website owners could be reduced to minimum.

Created by: Dr. Strawberry | 20.08.2014

1. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Rating : 4-5
2. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Rating : 3-4
3. Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God
Rating : 5-6
4. Accept - Restless And Wild
Rating : 2-3
5. Accept - Balls To The Wall
6. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
7. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Rating : 7-8
8. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
9. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
10. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
11. Death - Leprosy
Rating : 6-7
12. Death - Human
13. Death - Individual Thought Patterns
14. Death - Symbolic
Rating : 2-3
15. Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
16. Dream Theater - Awake
17. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
18. Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
19. Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
20. Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
21. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
22. King Diamond - Abigail
23. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
24. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
25. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
26. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
27. Machine Head - The Blackening
28. Overkill - Ironbound
29. Overkill - The Electric Age
30. Obituary - Slowly We Rot
31. Repulsion - Horrified
32. Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
33. Slayer - Show No Mercy
34. Sodom - Agent Orange

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Dr. Strawberry ]

Comments page 5 / 7

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 198   Visited by: 417 users
06.09.2014 - 01:18
Lit.
Account deleted
Can't we just delete this guy's lists and pretend they never happened?

Or do we have to start a political conversation about Obama for that to occur?
06.09.2014 - 04:45
Diverge

Written by Ilham on 05.09.2014 at 21:34

Dude learn to quote.

06.09.2014 - 04:54
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.09.2014 at 04:36

Obama needs to hear about this and his rock band list.

"L-let me tell you something. Uh... these lists. They're not acceptable. Nuh-uh. They're total... absolute nonsense, and uhhhh... disrespectful... towards these very well-regarded-- well-regarded bands that young Americans... young folk from around the world look up to. It's unacceptable, and, uh, if something's not done about it... there will-- there will be consequences. Make no mistake. They will happen."
06.09.2014 - 07:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Alright people if you're going to post in this thread, then discuss the list. The jokes were alright at first and the exchanging insults didn't get too out of hand but I'd personally rather firebomb this thread entirely than let it devolve any further.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.09.2014 - 17:00
angel.
Evil Butterfly
This list doesn't motivate me to comment back something nice, I'm off of it.

But somebody listed most of the classics from not so variable genres as the most overrated albums ? Ok they might be overrated but wait aren't they classics ? So part of being a classic album is to be widely accepted by a wide range of fans.
----
The Fangirl.
06.09.2014 - 17:11
Erik M.

"Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Rating : 3-4"

To me this is the most ridiculous rating on the list by far. Talk about an awesome and totally classic album. One of those albums I can keep spinning without it ever getting less great. And it's 20 years old, which makes it even more impressive.
06.09.2014 - 17:44
Erik M.

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 05.09.2014 at 13:11

I disliked those albums as I've finished listening all of them.
How would you know you won't like something if you don't even bother to try listening ? Your comments are just nonsense !

Facepalm.

Why didn't you at least quote me, so I knew you were replying to a comment of mine? And if you actually bothered to read, I told Hex_Omega that what he said is nonsense. It was a reply to this sentence: "No offence of course, people can hate Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath or Death but em... what are you doing here on Metalstorm if you hate so many classic metal bands?"

I was talking about rating albums I really dislike, which I generally don't even do. First of all it's because I can predict more or less whether I'm going to like an album or not. Listening to a few songs of a certain album is usually enough to predict whether I'm going to like the album or not. The genre is an important factor, as I'm not fond of certain genres like heavy and power metal. Also, I'd never create a list like this since it's not that interesting to list albums I don't like. I'd rather list albums I do like. And if you had read carefully, I said "I wouldn't bother to actually rate so many albums I dislike". Listening to an album once isn't enough to rate them, in my case, hence why I said what I said.
06.09.2014 - 18:24
Erik M.

Yeah, after reading everything it's safe to say that Joe is right, unsurprisingly. Everyone has the right to hate any album, but calling them overrated does require some sort of explanation if you want other people to take you seriously and understand your views on why you think it's overrated. Simply creating a list and adding ratings to the albums is no explanation by any means. The so-called arguments the list creator gives are very poor and make me think he doesn't really have good arguments other than simply disliking/hating these albums (which of course no-one can criticise).
08.09.2014 - 03:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Hey I've got a great idea; let's dredge this Godforsaken topic up again with a magnanimously deliberate misinterpretation of the comments here.

Oh wait, guy above me has it sorted already.
08.09.2014 - 09:04
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Ilham on 05.09.2014 at 21:34

...You're lucky I come here to read the other guys' jokes.
...I don't love you that much...

Indeed, they're lucky not me, I am glad you liked their jokes.
I didn't expect anything from you...actually.
08.09.2014 - 09:14
Dr. Strawberry

Quote:
Quote:

...God Buster is more or less a revisionist (as Marcel would say), and probably shouldn't be taken seriously...

I'm glad to hear that
Revisionist vs. Nostalgist
There's nothing wrong of being a Nostalgist, things always come with both sides, this is how we keep the mechanism of evolution working.
Btw, Jooe, llham, Erik M, Dima, Lima and you Doc Godin are on my list of Top Metal Nostalgists of 2014.
08.09.2014 - 09:36
Dr. Strawberry

Written by deadone on 08.09.2014 at 02:53

So the dude doesn't like stuff. Who cares?

Personally I think Death, the Blackening, Amorphis and Sodom suck donkey bollocks too.

And I love Maiden, Metallica etc but Godbuster hating them doesn't do anything to ruin my enjoyment of them.

Does it matter that much to people and especially to posters who we know don't like these bands?

I also don't understnad why did they care so much about my personal preferance.
May be that's the same reason why I couldn't understand how Justin B could have so many fans.

I owned all the albums listed and I liked them in the 90's-00's, still very well-kept on my CD rack. I listened once or twice a while...more or less trying to find out why did I like them so much in the past, and "some tracks" still sound good. I don't HATE them at all, and didn't deny their influeces, just don't understand why I didn't give them high ratings means HATE. I can only label those people as extremists.
08.09.2014 - 11:03
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I love that one thumb up, the user has voted so many 9s to Wintersun, Porcupine Tree and Dethklok and still agrees with this list of overrated albums The irony is neat.
----
The Fangirl.
08.09.2014 - 11:20
Dr. Strawberry

Written by angel. on 08.09.2014 at 11:03

I love that one thumb up, the user has voted so many 9s to Wintersun, Porcupine Tree and Dethklok and still agrees with this list of overrated albums The irony is neat.

I love him too as he thumbed up for me. I like Wintersun-Wintersun and Dethklok-The Dethalbum. What's wrong ? Are all these related to this list ?
08.09.2014 - 22:34
Erik M.

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 08.09.2014 at 09:14

I'm glad to hear that
Revisionist vs. Nostalgist
There's nothing wrong of being a Nostalgist, things always come with both sides, this is how we keep the mechanism of evolution working.
Btw, Jooe, llham, Erik M, Dima, Lima and you Doc Godin are on my list of Top Metal Nostalgists of 2014.

Why the hell am I, of all people, on that "list"?

Sure, I like a handful of classic albums, but I'm just about the least likely person to choose classic metal over modern metal. In fact, the vast majority of what I listen to is from 2000 and onwards. And 99.9% of what I listen to is from 1990 and onwards. Btw, I'm pretty sure at least Joe doesn't belong there either.

If you bothered to read what I wrote, you know I said I dislike most of these albums and/or bands. There's very little on this list that interests me. Furthermore, I couldn't care less that you hate these albums. Fine by me. And if you're not denying their influence, then I don't see the problem. It's just that you decided to create this list and (probably) expect people to understand why you hate them or view them as overrated. In that case you've simply done a poor job at explaining why you dislike them. Sure, you don't have to justify yourself, but why then create a list if you don't like to discuss it?
09.09.2014 - 12:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 08.09.2014 at 22:34

Sure, you don't have to justify yourself, but why then create a list if you don't like to discuss it?

Yes this is the key thing really. If you don't want to get questioned on your controversial opinions then don't create a list with zero explanations then cry when people call you up on it.
09.09.2014 - 13:48
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 09.09.2014 at 12:15

Written by Erik M. on 08.09.2014 at 22:34

Sure, you don't have to justify yourself, but why then create a list if you don't like to discuss it?

Yes this is the key thing really. If you don't want to get questioned on your controversial opinions then don't create a list with zero explanations then cry when people call you up on it.

Always remember, according to any law recognized by any civilized nation :
THE BURDEN OF PROOF LIE ON THE ACCUSER(S)
I am not here to prove myself "wrong".
Please tell us how BEAUTIFUL these albums are to prove me "wrong".
09.09.2014 - 13:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 09.09.2014 at 13:48

No, you're here to prove yourself to not be an idiot. The jury is still out on that.
09.09.2014 - 13:56
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 09.09.2014 at 13:50

No, you're here to prove yourself to not be an idiot. The jury is still out on that.

I am talking about international law and you're asking me to follow your own law. Whoever listens to you would be a true idiot.
09.09.2014 - 14:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 09.09.2014 at 13:56

I am talking about international law

The fact you're even mentioning "international law" on a music forum doesn't bode well for you in determining your stupidity.

But for the record it was you, as identified in your description, that has deemed these "classic" albums as "overrated" so in reality the "burden of proof" lies upon you to prove that these albums are overrated. You haven't offered any proof (cogent argument) of this, other than you saying you don't personally like them, which has nothing to do with claiming something is overrated (as I said earlier calling a classic album overrated has nothing to do with personal opinion). It's your job to prove that the albums mentioned in your list does not deserve their places in history, not that you don't like them, which we all accept and have never questioned.
09.09.2014 - 20:53
Dr. Strawberry

Where is the traffic cop ? I have been harassed verbally incessantly recently.
09.09.2014 - 20:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 09.09.2014 at 20:53

Free speech. Don't make shit lists
09.09.2014 - 21:07
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 09.09.2014 at 20:55

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 09.09.2014 at 20:53

Free speech. Don't make shit lists

Go and play your video games, stop talking rubbish and making commands here. This is a serious shit list !
09.09.2014 - 21:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 09.09.2014 at 21:07

Go and play your video games, stop talking rubbish and making commands here. This is a serious shit list !

You didn't have to respond to me; my response was to Erik but you insisted on quoting me with some nonsense about international law. If you don't want to talk to me then don't quote me.
09.09.2014 - 21:25
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 09.09.2014 at 12:15

Indeed. The most annoying thing is not that he hates influential/popular/classic albums (as I said, I couldn't care less that he dislikes/hates them), it's that he seems to be totally missing the point most of the time and therefore makes very little sense.

Written by Guest on 09.09.2014 at 13:50

Well, he's going to have a hard time convincing the jury that he isn't.

Written by Guest on 09.09.2014 at 14:18

as I said earlier calling a classic album overrated has nothing to do with personal opinion

Have to disagree with this, though. When I think something is overrated (for example, The Gallery), I won't deny its influence, but I do call it overrated because I simply like it a lot less than most people. I mean, you can argue how influential an album has been, but personal opinion definitely is a factor.
09.09.2014 - 21:25
Erik M.

Please tell us how BEAUTIFUL these albums are to prove me "wrong".

Burden of proof? We're not in a court here, nor are we discussing religious beliefs. This list is a matter of opinions, so bringing up "proof" is a bit weird. But since you're doing so, the "proof" isn't on your side, as you're in the vast minority when it comes to the general consensus of the albums on your list (pretty much what Joe also said, I just noticed).

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 09.09.2014 at 21:07

This is a serious shit list !

Finally you're starting to make sense.
09.09.2014 - 21:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 09.09.2014 at 21:25

Have to disagree with this, though. When I think something is overrated (for example, The Gallery), I won't deny its influence, but I do call it overrated because I simply like it a lot less than most people. I mean, you can argue how influential an album has been, but personal opinion definitely is a factor.

As I said earlier using the definition of "overrated" mentioned in the description, you're effectively tackling why other people's opinion on an album is too high, not why you personally think the album is not worth its salt. That to me is where personal taste and a kind of analyses diverge. The fact you could both enjoy an album you consider overrated or hate it and feel the same to me is why personal opinion is largely best left out of the whole argument. It's not just about influence really, there are other factors that are separate from personal enjoyment.

Perhaps I should have said personal "taste" not "opinion" as everything here is opinion.

For example I enjoy Pallbearer but I consider them massively overrated because they've made only a couple of albums in a short space of time which are not unusual or original in the slightest, and their popularity is, in my opinion, mostly down to luck and the right kind of marketing. Even if I didn't like them I would probably feel the same about their "ratedness."
09.09.2014 - 22:24
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 09.09.2014 at 21:32

As I said earlier using the definition of "overrated" mentioned in the description, you're effectively tackling why other people's opinion on an album is too high, not why you personally think the album is not worth its salt. That to me is where personal taste and a kind of analyses diverge. The fact you could both enjoy an album you consider overrated or hate it and feel the same to me is why personal opinion is largely best left out of the whole argument. It's not just about influence really, there are other factors that are separate from personal enjoyment.

Perhaps I should have said personal "taste" not "opinion" as everything here is opinion.

For example I enjoy Pallbearer but I consider them massively overrated because they've made only a couple of albums in a short space of time which are not unusual or original in the slightest, and their popularity is, in my opinion, mostly down to luck and the right kind of marketing. Even if I didn't like them I would probably feel the same about their "ratedness."

What I'm getting at is that to me it seems pretty hard to leave "personal opinion" out of it. I see what you mean and I understand it as well, but in my case, when I call something overrated, like The Gallery, it's mostly because I simply like it a lot less than most people. Then again, I can also recall Marcel's argument of why Master of Puppets is overrated, which is quite objective as well, so it indeed might be possible to state it more objectively. I guess I'm just not that occupied with concerning myself with why I think (subjective!) some albums are overrated.
09.09.2014 - 22:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 09.09.2014 at 22:24

What I'm getting at is that to me it seems pretty hard to leave "personal opinion" out of it. I see what you mean and I understand it as well, but in my case, when I call something overrated, like The Gallery, it's mostly because I simply like it a lot less than most people. Then again, I can also recall Marcel's argument of why Master of Puppets is overrated, which is quite objective as well, so it indeed might be possible to state it more objectively. I guess I'm just not that occupied with concerning myself with why I think (subjective!) some albums are overrated.

Well it goes without saying that everything we say and think is to some degree influenced by personal preferences, but the key to having good opinions in cases like this is really to minimise subjectivity by making good observations that apply objectively. I don't see how any can qualify saying an album is overrated purely on their taste, though taste can definitely be part of the argument (though difficult to prove either way). To say an album is overrated simply because you don't like it and everyone does isn't a great use of the term "overrated" to me. Identifying an album that has gained unusual amounts of popularity for its type / influence / amount of time existing etc. is a far better indicator of the term I find.
09.09.2014 - 22:50
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 09.09.2014 at 22:34

Well it goes without saying that everything we say and think is to some degree influenced by personal preferences, but the key to having good opinions in cases like this is really to minimise subjectivity by making good observations that apply objectively. I don't see how any can qualify saying an album is overrated purely on their taste, though taste can definitely be part of the argument (though difficult to prove either way). To say an album is overrated simply because you don't like it and everyone does isn't a great use of the term "overrated" to me. Identifying an album that has gained unusual amounts of popularity for its type / influence / amount of time existing etc. is a far better indicator of the term I find.

Yeah, that makes sense. But the problem here is that we apparently don't have the same idea of the word "overrated". I'm all for a more objective approach, but what word would you use when you like an album much less than "most people"? In that case I simply use the word "overrated", because in my view (opinion) the album isn't as good as other people believe it is, yet I'm not saying they're wrong. That would be hypocritical, since both sides are giving their opinions, even though the one claiming it's overrated is in the minority. It's just a disagreement with the general consensus. In some cases it might be possible to call an album overrated, but in some other cases it might be a simple case of enjoying it less, or not at all. This semantics business isn't the easiest thing to tackle, that's for sure.

Hits total: 7092 | This month: 19