Metal Storm logo
Synthwave

02.10.2014 - 00:15
vgmaster9

If you are a fan of the unique sound of synthesizers from the 80s, this this genre is for you. It's a new movement that takes the retro sound heard from 80s movies and TV shows and it's pretty neat stuff. Anyone recommend any artists?

02.10.2014 - 00:41
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I tried to get into this genre a while ago and actually found some pretty good stuff.
Then I totally forgot to keep the research, thanks for reminding me =p

The only one that comes to mind now is Electron. I like the more uplifting stuff.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.01.2015 - 22:45
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
My favourite retrowave/dark electro man Brut, Carpenter Brut that is, is releasing EP III on 19th January. What surprised me the most in Anarchy Road are the vocals.I have no idea what I'm in for, but I am super excited!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
11.01.2015 - 22:50
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Also, I've recommended Carpenter Brut before, but again, his work is available on his Official Bandcamp page.

Pretty sweet stuff also comes from Perturbator, Nightcrawler and VHS Glitch. Give them a try if you haven't before (I listed them to my preference: Brut > Perturbator > Nightcrawler > VHS). I've listened to other stuff as well, but so far these 4 are the ones who managed to gain my attention. But since retrowave is on a rise, I can imagine more will follow
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
13.01.2015 - 01:26
ANGEL REAPER

Never forget Mega Drive
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.01.2015 - 01:33
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah I've posted about stuff like this somewhere else. Can't be arsed to get the other things, but anyone interested there's a label that has some nice examples of retrosynth etc:

http://telefuturenow.bandcamp.com/
14.01.2015 - 00:50
ANGEL REAPER

Also Dynatron...its good...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
14.04.2017 - 19:47
Liafev

Coming a bit late on this post but I can also recommend these two guys who both make some very good music in the genre:
https://occamslaser.bandcamp.com/
https://nemix.bandcamp.com/
15.04.2017 - 01:22
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Oh, yes. The almighty Occams Laser. Good stuff. More like darksynth though..

Have to check the other yet
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.12.2017 - 01:26
Vombatus
Potorro
The great MCC synthwave remix of the track Sunsettlers (original is amazing track, btw) sounds exquisite. Actually better than many things in the genre. Should consider doing the while EP/Album in synthwave version. At least I'd totally support!

MCC - Sunsettlers [Synthwave Remix]