Metal Storm logo
New feature - Alias

18.10.2014 - 09:05
psykometal
A staff guy...
Oky doky peeps, we gotta new feature for musicians in the Lineup editing area - Alias (optional) - aka "pseudonym".

Instead of putting in the musician's name with all their various pseudonyms (stage names) in "parentheses" (ex: Ted "Nocturno Culto" "Kveldulv" Skjellum), you enter just the musician's real name (ex: Ted Skjellum) and beneath that you'll find a new "Pseudonym" field where you can enter the pseudonym the musician uses for that band (ex: Nocturno Culto for Darkthrone, Kveldulv for Satyricon in the 90s).

And when you do this, on the musician's profile (once updated to get rid of the tons of pseudonyms) it will show only the real name at the top, and the alias, per band used, on the right of the different bands the musician is listed in. And on the different band profiles where you used the pseudonym feature, only the pseudonym will appear on the band profile.

I have already fixed Nocturno Culto's profile to utilize the new feature, so y'all can go to that profile for reference. Link

In order for this to work you HAVE to update the musicians profile also. We added a "Also known as" field in the musicians profile where you can add their stage name, or names if they go by different in other bands. (comma separated)
Use this so the musicians are searchable with their alias, as well as their real name. Not everyone knows their real names and if you take out the pseudonym it can get confusing.

This feature is for pseudonyms only, not nicknames; so musicians like George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher and Alexi "Wildchild" Laiho need to be left as they are.

Also, as you fix the multitude of profiles that this feature was designed for (damn near every black metal band in our database ), please comment in the report mistakes thread that such and such musicians pseudonyms have been fixed/applied/whatever'd, and so their musician profile name needs correcting to remove the pseudonym; like on Nocturno Culto's profile.

Happy editing!

ATTENTION: right now only the real name (if a profile was already edited) shows up in the drop down feature when adding a new member to a band. We are working on having the alias show up as well. This is fixed now. If the musician profile is updated and also has the AKA field filled in, it will show up when you try to add a new member to a band.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

21.10.2014 - 01:42
theFIST

Great feature, but would prefer if it were for nicknames as well

i strongly dislike having the nicknames of people between their official names
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
21.10.2014 - 02:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by theFIST on 21.10.2014 at 01:42

Great feature, but would prefer if it were for nicknames as well

i strongly dislike having the nicknames of people between their official names

I like it nick name is more less one but pseudonyms can be many
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.10.2014 - 02:27
Fearmeister
Account deleted
So what's the difference between a nickname and a pseudonym?
21.10.2014 - 02:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 21.10.2014 at 02:27

nick name is like someone gives you a nick and calls you, or you pic up , but pseudonym is like you pick up stage name, many writers use it as well
like example
Marcel Hubregtse, he can make a pseudonym Gerhard Black for example and write a book, review what so ever
nickname is more less his old ''ozman'' name
----

apos;'
[image]
21.10.2014 - 17:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

if you edit also remove pseudonym from main musician profile as Lex showed
----

apos;'
[image]
21.10.2014 - 21:10
psykometal
A staff guy...

Pseudonym is their stage name, like Nocturno Culto. Nickname is not what they actually go by publicly, like Wildchild for Alexi Laiho. Alexi never goes by Wildchild, so it would be weird for us to display just Wildchild for him on CoB's profile.
----

21.10.2014 - 21:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 21.10.2014 at 21:10

Pseudonym is their stage name, like Nocturno Culto. Nickname is not what they actually go by publicly, like Wildchild for Alexi Laiho. Alexi never goes by Wildchild, so it would be weird for us to display just Wildchild for him on CoB's profile.

that's what I already answered LOL
----

apos;'
[image]
21.10.2014 - 21:46
Fearmeister
Account deleted

I suppose my question is knowing the difference for people that I'm not familiar with. My gut tells me to go with pseudonym by default
21.10.2014 - 22:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 21.10.2014 at 21:46

I suppose my question is knowing the difference for people that I'm not familiar with. My gut tells me to go with pseudonym by default

feel free ask here
----

apos;'
[image]
22.10.2014 - 02:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Well, in most cases, it's a pseudonym. Lol
----

22.10.2014 - 03:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok King Diamon and Mikkey dee are pseudonyms but how about Lemmy and Ozzy? what are those
----

apos;'
[image]
22.10.2014 - 03:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Suggestion --- how about Ivan make some pseudonym search because if we delete pseudonym from name you cant find mussican anymore, and such search can be hard when you need to do accept new line up duplication search ...not always we find real name, sometimes pseudonym
----

apos;'
[image]
22.10.2014 - 14:30
ANGEL REAPER

Seem to me that manual editing will take too much time .... could some database script do it instead? im just suggesting easier way....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.10.2014 - 17:07
psykometal
A staff guy...
Yea, unfortunately, manual editing is the only option right now.
----

22.10.2014 - 17:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Main issue of manual edit is its you can easily accept pending publication since search don't show, if you take out pseudonym from mussican name
----

apos;'
[image]
25.10.2014 - 16:36
D.T. Metal

Written by Bad English on 22.10.2014 at 03:08

Suggestion --- how about Ivan make some pseudonym search because if we delete pseudonym from name you cant find mussican anymore, and such search can be hard when you need to do accept new line up duplication search ...not always we find real name, sometimes pseudonym

Will get with Ivan about this - very valid point.
26.10.2014 - 13:34
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Does this mean all those profiles where shortened names get used as nicknames will get cleaned up?

Written by Bad English on 22.10.2014 at 03:06

Ok King Diamon and Mikkey dee are pseudonyms but how about Lemmy and Ozzy? what are those

Probably both, they're nicknames that became pseudonyms.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.10.2014 - 14:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 26.10.2014 at 13:34

Does this mean all those profiles where shortened names get used as nicknames will get cleaned up?

Written by Bad English on 22.10.2014 at 03:06

Probably both, they're nicknames that became pseudonyms.

nicknames negative, pseudonyms might be if someone will do it, but same time Ivan needs fix because delete pseudo, leave real name, its big chances super dubklications can be add because now search wont find it
----

apos;'
[image]
26.10.2014 - 14:37
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 26.10.2014 at 13:34

I actually arrived at this the other day too - using it to clean up the look of profiles like 'Nathan Jonas "Joey" Jordison' to display as just 'Joey Jordison' on the band profiles.

And I'd say, yes, use it to clean up those profiles too.

The nicknames thing I'm referring to is situations like Alexi "Wildchild" Laiho and George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, where everybody knows about those names, but those are not the names that those musicians ever actually used officially. Like, when you open up the album booklet, or go to any of their official social media, what do you see that musician listed as? Alexi is always billed as Alexi Laiho, not Wildchild. And George is usually billed as George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, not just Corpsegrinder.

So that will be how you can figure out when and how to use the pseudonym feature. And of course you can always ask here as well.
----

26.10.2014 - 14:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
Speaking of Slipknot members, does anybody know if they still use their 0-8 number system "aliases" instead of their real names now?
----

27.10.2014 - 16:43
D.T. Metal

Written by psykometal on 26.10.2014 at 14:50

Speaking of Slipknot members, does anybody know if they still use their 0-8 number system "aliases" instead of their real names now?

They still use the numbers; it's on their stage outfits
27.10.2014 - 16:58
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by D.T. Metal on 27.10.2014 at 16:43

They still use the numbers; it's on their stage outfits

OK, just curious. I'll put those in for their aliases then.
----

27.10.2014 - 21:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How about Traja Turunen . she is married, and wiki (I know its not official) says
Tarja Soile Susanna Cabuli if its true her new last name is like this, it means we do update her alias as Tarja Turunen and change her real name?

I wonty do it since I don't trust wiki, but this time might be true .. gonna try find out official
----

apos;'
[image]
28.10.2014 - 00:25
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 27.10.2014 at 21:01

How about Traja Turunen . she is married, and wiki (I know its not official) says
Tarja Soile Susanna Cabuli if its true her new last name is like this, it means we do update her alias as Tarja Turunen and change her real name?

I wonty do it since I don't trust wiki, but this time might be true .. gonna try find out official

Sure. Go for it.
----

28.10.2014 - 02:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 28.10.2014 at 00:25

Written by Bad English on 27.10.2014 at 21:01

Sure. Go for it.

gonna check official source 1th, or dig deeper
----

apos;'
[image]
28.10.2014 - 16:31
D.T. Metal

OK - we are working on the more detail of this new feature. As Bad English pointed out, the musicians were not searchable with just their alias in the search function on the top - this is now fixed!
We added a "Also known as" field in the musicians profile where you can add their stage name, or names if they go by different in other bands. (comma separated)
Example: if you type in LORD AHRIMAN on the top search for musician his profile will show up.

Right now we are working on having the alias show up when you want to add a musician to a band. Stay tuned.
28.10.2014 - 17:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by D.T. Metal on 28.10.2014 at 16:31

OK - we are working on the more detail of this new feature. As Bad English pointed out, the musicians were not searchable with just their alias in the search function on the top - this is now fixed!
We added a "Also known as" field in the musicians profile where you can add their stage name, or names if they go by different in other bands. (comma separated)
Example: if you type in LORD AHRIMAN on the top search for musician his profile will show up.

Right now we are working on having the alias show up when you want to add a musician to a band. Stay tuned.

I tried Mikkey Dee and King Diamond and they don't show up (yes I spelled wrong, copy past) , or I am stupid and don't know how to search, or there are error
----

apos;'
[image]
28.10.2014 - 17:24
D.T. Metal

Written by Bad English on 28.10.2014 at 17:16

Written by D.T. Metal on 28.10.2014 at 16:31

I tried Mikkey Dee and King Diamond and they don't show up (yes I spelled wrong, copy past) , or I am stupid and don't know how to search, or there are error

the reason it didn't work is because the profiles don't reflect the aka yet. The musicians profile has to MANUALLY be changed to add the aka.
28.10.2014 - 19:15
D.T. Metal

Updated the OP, please make sure you read !!!