Metal Storm logo
New feature - Alias

Original post

Posted by psykometal, 18.10.2014 - 09:05
Oky doky peeps, we gotta new feature for musicians in the Lineup editing area - Alias (optional) - aka "pseudonym".

Instead of putting in the musician's name with all their various pseudonyms (stage names) in "parentheses" (ex: Ted "Nocturno Culto" "Kveldulv" Skjellum), you enter just the musician's real name (ex: Ted Skjellum) and beneath that you'll find a new "Pseudonym" field where you can enter the pseudonym the musician uses for that band (ex: Nocturno Culto for Darkthrone, Kveldulv for Satyricon in the 90s).

And when you do this, on the musician's profile (once updated to get rid of the tons of pseudonyms) it will show only the real name at the top, and the alias, per band used, on the right of the different bands the musician is listed in. And on the different band profiles where you used the pseudonym feature, only the pseudonym will appear on the band profile.

I have already fixed Nocturno Culto's profile to utilize the new feature, so y'all can go to that profile for reference. Link

In order for this to work you HAVE to update the musicians profile also. We added a "Also known as" field in the musicians profile where you can add their stage name, or names if they go by different in other bands. (comma separated)
Use this so the musicians are searchable with their alias, as well as their real name. Not everyone knows their real names and if you take out the pseudonym it can get confusing.

This feature is for pseudonyms only, not nicknames; so musicians like George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher and Alexi "Wildchild" Laiho need to be left as they are.

Also, as you fix the multitude of profiles that this feature was designed for (damn near every black metal band in our database ), please comment in the report mistakes thread that such and such musicians pseudonyms have been fixed/applied/whatever'd, and so their musician profile name needs correcting to remove the pseudonym; like on Nocturno Culto's profile.

Happy editing!

ATTENTION: right now only the real name (if a profile was already edited) shows up in the drop down feature when adding a new member to a band. We are working on having the alias show up as well. This is fixed now. If the musician profile is updated and also has the AKA field filled in, it will show up when you try to add a new member to a band.
28.10.2014 - 22:30
Ilham
Giant robot
Ok I think I understood everything. But just to plant this firmly in my head, I'm going to ask a question with a specific example.

This guy, Ethan Lee "ELM" McCarthy. ELM is what he is listed as on Facebook for the band Vermin Womb for example. So that applies as a pseudonym right? Not a nickname. If I want to correct that, on his musician profile, I'll have to take out the "ELM", and put it in the AKA field, right? You don't have to repeat that on the band's profile?
28.10.2014 - 23:04
D.T. Metal

Written by Ilham on 28.10.2014 at 22:30

Ok I think I understood everything. But just to plant this firmly in my head, I'm going to ask a question with a specific example.

This guy, Ethan Lee "ELM" McCarthy. ELM is what he is listed as on Facebook for the band Vermin Womb for example. So that applies as a pseudonym right? Not a nickname.

correct.
Quote:
on his musician profile, I'll have to take out the "ELM", and put it in the AKA field, right? You don't have to repeat that on the band's profile?

yes and no. Yes on his profile you take out the ELM and put it into the aka field. But on the band line-up page you have to add ELM to the alias field since otherwise only his real name will show up on the band page.

The reason why it has to be also added to the bands line-up page is because some artists go under different alias in different bands.
28.10.2014 - 23:11
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by D.T. Metal on 28.10.2014 at 23:04

[Clarificarions]

Alrighty then. Thank you .
31.10.2014 - 17:56
D.T. Metal

OP updated: We fixed this and now if the musician profile is already updated and also has the AKA field filled in, the pseudonym will show up when you try to add a new member to a band.

Long story short, for those of you who took out an alias before we had the AKA field in the musicians profile - if you remember which musicians you edited, please fill out the aka field so it's searchable. If you can't remember and randomly click on such a profile, please fix it.

Thanks guys/gals.
06.11.2014 - 12:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@users if you add new member, go and search alias, aka and real name and don't only add it aka in the band name , but manually update his musician profile as well , who knows how many duplications we will have, just find one
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.11.2014 - 12:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What happens if musician manually wont be updated aka, ? cant we find it in main search?
one dude don't do it and I cant look whit search to musicians, should it be like that or I am retardet?
----

apos;'
[image]
09.11.2014 - 03:46
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 08.11.2014 at 12:24

What happens if musician manually wont be updated aka, ? cant we find it in main search?
one dude don't do it and I cant look whit search to musicians, should it be like that or I am retardet?

What do you mean?
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

09.11.2014 - 13:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 09.11.2014 at 03:46

Written by Bad English on 08.11.2014 at 12:24

What do you mean?

I mean when guy edit in band line up aka name, and delete pseudonym, from musician profile but DO NOT add aka there manually ....
such cases I cant find using aka as search
----

apos;'
[image]
09.11.2014 - 17:01
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 09.11.2014 at 13:37

I mean when guy edit in band line up aka name, and delete pseudonym, from musician profile but DO NOT add aka there manually ....

Yea, you have to add to aka out it doesn't work.
----

09.11.2014 - 17:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 09.11.2014 at 17:01

I do, I always manually update band musicians profile manually where are aka and who has it, Duff and Duff McKagen I did both since he uses both
some members don't do manualy
----

apos;'
[image]
09.11.2014 - 23:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 09.11.2014 at 17:01

and now since Ivan fixed manual update in profile as aka

can I do
Robert John Arthur "Rob" Halford -- click in band, line up as Rob Halford
then go to his prof and manualy in aka put Rob Halford
and change
Robert John Arthur Halford whit deleting Rob from name?

Can I do it whit Ozzy

Non of gave me clean answer can we do it now, since Ivan fixeded
----

apos;'
[image]
09.11.2014 - 23:33
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 09.11.2014 at 23:16

and now since Ivan fixed manual update in profile as aka

can I do
Robert John Arthur "Rob" Halford -- click in band, line up as Rob Halford
then go to his prof and manualy in aka put Rob Halford
and change
Robert John Arthur Halford whit deleting Rob from name?

Can I do it whit Ozzy

Non of gave me clean answer can we do it now, since Ivan fixeded

Yes. Do that. That's what I've been doing here and there.
----

10.11.2014 - 14:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Norvegian BM bands need a lot of work and MB generally

MA and wiki says Ian Anderson Peace is his full name, is it true cant find official
same wiki and MA says about Steve Morse and Roger Glover ... both has full names, cant find official
any can confirm? if yes its true we need add real name and manually update all, since they are know whit those names
----

apos;'
[image]
10.11.2014 - 14:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
B Sabbath, ozzy, saxon, Don Airey , Jon lord fixed
iron maidens as well(female cover)
iron maiden, dio , lynott , moore fixed
----

apos;'
[image]
11.11.2014 - 14:09
Ilham
Giant robot
I have a question. What if we only have an AKA when adding a musician that has never been in the database before? I used to just enter "Pseudonym" in the name field. I think I might find the guy's real name if I look harder, but I doubt I'll find it on a website that could be reliable, since all the official ones only use his AKA. Shall I just do as I used to? Enter the AKA in the name field? And maybe add it a second time in the AKA field?
11.11.2014 - 15:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 11.11.2014 at 14:09

I have a question. What if we only have an AKA when adding a musician that has never been in the database before? I used to just enter "Pseudonym" in the name field. I think I might find the guy's real name if I look harder, but I doubt I'll find it on a website that could be reliable, since all the official ones only use his AKA. Shall I just do as I used to? Enter the AKA in the name field? And maybe add it a second time in the AKA field?

I think now we do both
aka in real name
and aka in aka

because before aka option we did add just nick name (whit roman number rif we already had such what is not same as new addet
----

apos;'
[image]
11.11.2014 - 16:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Yes, if can only find their alias/pseudo then put it in both. But without the "quotation marks". Thanks.
----

11.11.2014 - 17:32
Ilham
Giant robot
Thank you! Will do that then.
18.11.2014 - 13:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
Aren't we taking these aliases, or rather nick names to far on this site? There's nothing wrong with aliases such as Wildchild, Nocturno Culto, Satyr, Galder and such. Those are stage names. But when we add names such as "Tobias 'Tobbe' Kjellgren", "Henrik 'Henke' Forss", "Tomas 'Tompa' Lindberg" and so on it's just ridiculous. Those are common nick names for those names. All the Tobias in Sweden are called "Tobbe". All Henrik's in Sweden are called "Henke". Hey, why don't we add "Micke" to Mikael Åkerfeldt and Mikael Stanne when we're at it? Because as swedes, that's probably what they're called. Like all other Mikaels here.
----
18.11.2014 - 16:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 18.11.2014 at 13:56

Aren't we taking these aliases, or rather nick names to far on this site? There's nothing wrong with aliases such as Wildchild, Nocturno Culto, Satyr, Galder and such. Those are stage names. But when we add names such as "Tobias 'Tobbe' Kjellgren", "Henrik 'Henke' Forss", "Tomas 'Tompa' Lindberg" and so on it's just ridiculous. Those are common nick names for those names. All the Tobias in Sweden are called "Tobbe". All Henrik's in Sweden are called "Henke". Hey, why don't we add "Micke" to Mikael Åkerfeldt and Mikael Stanne when we're at it? Because as swedes, that's probably what they're called. Like all other Mikaels here.

good point, I was thinking about it one day when I saw such names bu since this alias option, I have not see such ones, but you have good point since its not nick, stage name, justs hort version
like Carolina probably be Carol, Sussana, Susan and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2014 - 16:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bad English on 18.11.2014 at 16:09

good point, I was thinking about it one day when I saw such names bu since this alias option, I have not see such ones, but you have good point since its not nick, stage name, justs hort version

Yeah, and we could also find out what Bruce Dickinson's mom is calling him and add that nick name, what David "Dave" Mustaines wife has for little cute nick name for him, what Tarja Turunen's father in law calls her when he's drunk and so on. My point is that every single nick name isn't necessary. Especially not the ones all Mikaels, Davids, Daniels, Henriks and so on goes by.
----
18.11.2014 - 17:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 18.11.2014 at 16:58

Written by Bad English on 18.11.2014 at 16:09

Yeah, and we could also find out what Bruce Dickinson's mom is calling him and add that nick name, what David "Dave" Mustaines wife has for little cute nick name for him, what Tarja Turunen's father in law calls her when he's drunk and so on. My point is that every single nick name isn't necessary. Especially not the ones all Mikaels, Davids, Daniels, Henriks and so on goes by.

I agree , even those are not official nick names but short versions of names , Mikael Åkerfeldt is know as Mikeal , not Micke , he even says Mikeal even English Micheal version not Swedish (same does Micheal Schenker as well) , and I think only swedes use those short names to Swedish names, only and not always ,
----

apos;'
[image]
19.11.2014 - 11:20
psykometal
A staff guy...
Yea, that's an old thing that predates even me, this alias field now will clear up that bit of clutter because now the musician profiles will show full name (like David Mustaine) and the band profile will show how they're better known by (Dave Mustaine).
----

20.11.2014 - 21:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 19.11.2014 at 11:20

Yea, that's an old thing that predates even me, this alias field now will clear up that bit of clutter because now the musician profiles will show full name (like David Mustaine) and the band profile will show how they're better known by (Dave Mustaine).

BTW why Johan didn not bring it up about Swedish name as Jacob did
----

apos;'
[image]
21.11.2014 - 16:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
How the hell should I know. Although I'm sure the answer is very simple: he's epithet not watching this thread or doesn't give a shit or both.
----

22.12.2014 - 10:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Is there a way to get the pseudonym to show up on the album page after editing the lineup? It seems to just show the profile name rather than what they're on the band page as. Or would typing in the pseudonym (on the album page) keep it linked?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.12.2014 - 11:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 22.12.2014 at 10:41

Is there a way to get the pseudonym to show up on the album page after editing the lineup? It seems to just show the profile name rather than what they're on the band page as. Or would typing in the pseudonym (on the album page) keep it linked?

good point
only if you write in manually don't use default, but then it wont be linked
Seems only Ivan can fix
----

apos;'
[image]
29.12.2014 - 08:39
D.T. Metal

it should bring it up. can you link an example please
29.12.2014 - 09:14
psykometal
A staff guy...
Adding just the alias to the optional lineup text field doesn't link to the musician profile. Only the main name on the musician profile will link from that text field. Not sure if Ivan can fix, or if it's even really necessary - I've never really felt that having musician profile links on the album pages was really that necessary to begin with. *shrug*
----

29.12.2014 - 11:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by D.T. Metal on 29.12.2014 at 08:39

it should bring it up. can you link an example please

http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album_edit.php?album_id=628&band_id=94
Only shows the profile's name, even though they use a pseudonym in that band. Putting in the pseudonym doesn't link.

Written by psykometal on 29.12.2014 at 09:14

Adding just the alias to the optional lineup text field doesn't link to the musician profile. Only the main name on the musician profile will link from that text field. Not sure if Ivan can fix, or if it's even really necessary - I've never really felt that having musician profile links on the album pages was really that necessary to begin with. *shrug*

I like having it. It's useful for if you want to see what else the musician has done.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"