01. Black Dog
02. Rock And Roll
03. The Battle Of Evermore
04. Stairway To Heaven
05. Misty Mountain Hop
06. Four Sticks
07. Going To California
08. When The Levee Breaks

It's an actual challenge to review an album like this one, a classic album made by one of those unforgettable bands, so I swear I'll do my best.

Led Zeppelin released this jewel in 1971 (November 8th to be precise). It's a marvelous album, every song featured here is just incredible, we have the memorable "Black Dog," the classic "Rock & Roll" (we can even hear this song in the Super Bowl specials), the aggressive "Misty Mountain Hop," the mystic "When The Levee Breaks," the catchy "Four Sticks" and well?"Stairway To Heaven."

The album opener is "Black Dog," this song has one of the most amazing riffs performed by none other than Jimmy Page. The song is entertaining as hell, a true classic filled with short (yet incredible) lyrical pauses and the memorable Oh-Oh bit (1:28), this track is complex from the beginning to the end. Plant here has a lot of "Janis Joplin" undertones (which are great by the way), Page is amazing as always, and Bonham presents incredible beats and amazing irregular tempo.

There's no possible way to remark only one song, so I'll write about another classic piece called simply "Rock & Roll," this particular song gave R&B a whole new meaning, yes the who had "Behind Blue Eyes", and yes a lot of bands had amazing songs, but this particular one, written by Page & Plant, preserved everything Hard Rock, Blues and early Metal had to offer: aggressive spirit mixed with harmonious feelings. "Rock & Roll" starts with a quick drumming, then the main riff appears, this riff is now everywhere (Movies, TV Series, etc?) and then the song actually explodes with a Page Solo. The twists are everywhere throughout the song, and the main bridge (2:15) sounds overwhelming.

Then we have "Stairway To Heaven," this song is now one of the most respected songs in music history (along with "All You Need Is Love," "Jumping Jack Flash" and "You Really Got Me"), the song starts with a melodic arpeggio, then a harmonious instrument comes in setting the tragic atmosphere. Plant offers an amazing vocal performance.

A lot of people say? "Stairway To Heaven" is so overrated, Zeppelin has better songs dude?well, Stairway To Heaven is actually not the best Zeppelin song I know, but musically speaking it's enormous, this track features more than 13 progressions per instrument in only 8 minutes of music; I know Yes, Alan Parsons Project, and such bands had more progressions than only 13 per instrument, but those bands needed more than 18 minutes of song to reach this number of progressions, so this is one of the main reasons "Stairway To Heaven" deserves respect. I won't say more, we all know this song, we all have our opinions about this classic tune, so make a fair judgment.

We, as Metal fans, must hear this album, not only due to it's greatness, also because this album influenced at least 5 of our favorite bands.

Written by Herzebeth | 31.12.2005

Comments

Comments: 49   Visited by: 362 users
11.02.2007 - 07:40
Rating: 8
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Oh come on, are you serious? I dare you to review it again. This album is bullshit, try Deep Purple's Fireball.

edit 6.5 yrs later - I hereby somewhat retract, and apologize for my offensive statements and demeanour all those years ago. Rather, please read comments that came three months after this original one, or for two short sentences, comment #7 in the IV album's own topic/thread
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
28.02.2007 - 00:59
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 11.02.2007 at 07:40

Oh come on, are you serious? I dare you to review it again. This album is bullshit, try Deep Purple's Fireball.

Very subjective point of view. One should not compare Deep Purple with led Zeppelin, their styles are quite different.
Led Zeppelin IV is a classic album. Not only does it have the classic Stairway to heaven, but also other amazing songs such as When the Levee breaks, Black Dog, Rock'n'Roll and not to mention Going to California (just to name a few). There aren't any weak songs on this album. In my opinion, this album should be in every rocker's music collection.
28.02.2007 - 10:57
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Both bands are hard rockers from the late 60s who are considered heavy metal by a large number of people, with skilled musicians, similar singers and tons of songs about women.

I've always considered California a crap song, musically it is just a watered-down retread of Thank You and Tangerine from earlier albums. Black Dog and Rock and Roll are nothing special and most songs seem to go nowhere, it's a whole lot of average. I agree Levee is cool and it may just be my disdain for whatever's popular but overall I say this album sucks. Fireball (from the same year) wins for me with its METAL title track, the scathing Fools and the brilliant Demon's Eye.

More people need to be aware of Deep Purple, and in saying all this, more people need to be aware of Zep's other albums. All their others I've heard put this one to shame.
----

28.02.2007 - 14:01
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 28.02.2007 at 10:57

Both bands are hard rockers from the late 60s who are considered heavy metal by a large number of people, with skilled musicians, similar singers and tons of songs about women.

I've always considered California a crap song, musically it is just a watered-down retread of Thank You and Tangerine from earlier albums. Black Dog and Rock and Roll are nothing special and most songs seem to go nowhere, it's a whole lot of average. I agree Levee is cool and it may just be my disdain for whatever's popular but overall I say this album sucks. Fireball (from the same year) wins for me with its METAL title track, the scathing Fools and the brilliant Demon's Eye.

More people need to be aware of Deep Purple, and in saying all this, more people need to be aware of Zep's other albums. All their others I've heard put this one to shame.

Both Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin are categorised as "hard rock" but like I said their music is different. And many other bands sounded different in those times and still were considered as hard rock: Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, Bad Company to name a few.
I really hope that when you say that "this album sucks" you mean that "you don't like it".
28.02.2007 - 14:20
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 28.02.2007 at 14:01

Both Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin are categorised as "hard rock" but like I said their music is different. And many other bands sounded different in those times and still were considered as hard rock: Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, Bad Company to name a few.

Yeah, which is why people compare them.

Quote:

I really hope that when you say that "this album sucks" you mean that "you don't like it".

Of course, notice the "I say" in front
----

13.05.2007 - 17:52
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Great album, a bit overated and like Syk said, it's nothing compared to other Led Zeppelin albums but it's still a good one.
21.05.2007 - 07:05
Syk
myspace/bonerama
OK, so Jethro Tull - Aqualung may be a better comparison for obliterating this album. Can't believe I forgot that one. Check it.
----

13.08.2007 - 23:27
MrEddieG

This Album is good nonetheless but its Zeppelin's most over rated CD
15.09.2007 - 12:17
Rating: 10
BrightNight

Stairway to Heaven and Black Dog alone make this album one of the best in history. Cant believe the comments i read. Shame on you all.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
23.03.2008 - 11:54
Samuel550
Account deleted
Meh, I read comments everywhere from people trying to down this album because they're so stuck in the minority of cluelessness of just how classical this album really is and would just rather appear to be the cool kid and go "this album sucks WHAAA" and make everyone else look like they're being jipped. It's so much fun watching these sceptics pretend they're so intelligent, HA!. Screw that, I recognise this albums musical genius so I can care less what little crybaby reasons you have that force you to not like certain songs.

"Whaa whaa piss piss" boys.

PS: Deep Purple are fucking BORING!!!
16.04.2008 - 19:14
IronBlackZepp

One of the best albums of all time. Zeppelin are perfect in the studio and are one of the best bands period. I am with Samuel550 on this one, Deep Purple just do not compare to Zeppelin. I like Deep Purple ok, but most of their albums suck exept for In Rock and Machine Head. And not even those albums are as good as anything Zeppelin, exept mabey coda. Anyway, Stairway of coure is classic matirial, and Black Dog of course rocks. Oh and dont forget Rock N Roll. However, some of the other songs are pretty underated like Going to California, which is simular to some of the stuff on Led Zeppelin III.
20.04.2008 - 22:41
Samuel550
Account deleted
I actually think In Rock is one of the worst and most overrated rock/metal albums ever recorded. The only song that really caught me was 'Speed King' and obviously 'Black Night' which wasn't even part of the original LP, and 'Child in Time' is the most boring epic I have ever listened to. The rest of they're albums would just follow up on what made In Rock so crappy for me.

So other then a few singles, Deep Purple are just a boring rock band who like to rip off Jimi Hendrix based power chords and I see nothing in they're music that even stands up to anything Led Zeppelin have done.
29.04.2008 - 16:39
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 20.04.2008 at 22:41
So other then (than) a few singles, Deep Purple are just a boring rock band who like to rip off Jimi Hendrix based power chords
LOL. Really, LOL. Great job showing how little you know about what you're talking about. Try learning what a power chord really is, and then you might want to swot up on Led Zep's myriad uncredited ripoffs.
----

29.04.2008 - 16:49
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Heh, interesting that a discussion of LZ IV vs. Fireball has emerged here.
I think I actually also enjoy the latter more, since it has a level of energy and speed that was very uncommon for those times...
30.04.2008 - 08:34
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
haha funny to compare zeppelin with gay purple
30.04.2008 - 20:47
jadawal

This is all just a matter of opinion, why didn't anyone say that yet? This argument sounds like a bunch of 7 year olds. Especially Syk, you must love showing people on MS how much you know about everything, and telling them:

Written by Syk on 29.04.2008 at 16:39

LOL. Really, LOL. Great job showing how little you know about what you're talking about.

Your the scum that ruins these the discussions. Your first post ended with "this album is bullshit". What does that mean? You're retarded, that's what that means. I definitely would say that LZ IV is quite different to Fireball, and in my opinion, LZ IV is a lot better music. But that's just my opinion, it's not fucking bullshit. It's one of the most important releases of all time, you're just biased.
01.05.2008 - 03:49
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by jadawal on 30.04.2008 at 20:47
Ahh good post, you got me. Although technically I didn't ruin the discussion - in fact I'm the one who got it going

Seriously though, if you (new people entering the discussion) like this, do check out Aqualung, and if this is the only Zep you've heard, don't stop here. I'm sure you'll enjoy some of their other stuff a helluva lot too.
----

01.05.2008 - 13:57
Samuel550
Account deleted

So other then (than) a few singles, Deep Purple are just a boring rock band who like to rip off Jimi Hendrix based power chords
LOL. Really, LOL. Great job showing how little you know about what you're talking about. Try learning what a power chord really is, and then you might want to swot up on Led Zep's myriad uncredited ripoffs.

Oh please, put your little 'lol' and your missconceptions on musical riffs back up your arse and admit that Deep Purple just sound like a Hendrix rip-off. Also, how about giving specific and valid reasons why certain songs on IV are actually that bad instead of writing a manure load full of your ill-concieved scepticism and musical opinions. And I couldn't give a shit weather bands rip-off source material, Led Zeppelin sound far more innovative with whatever they 'ripped off' then Deep Purple sound when they rip off Hendrix, so don' t mak me laugh. Have fun convincing yourself that downing classic albums will ever make you intelligent.
01.05.2008 - 15:24
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 01.05.2008 at 13:57
Have fun convincing yourself that downing classic albums will ever make you intelligent.
Grow up, man. If that was my intention I'd be ripping on a helluva lot more than a couple "classics" like this and Rust in Peace. I just find a majority of it so boring and disappointing compared to their earlier (and some later) stuff - Battle of Evermore and Going to California especially. Four Sticks has a cool riff but the whole song wastes it. Dog & Rock have been WAY over-hyped. There's nowhere near enough segments to make me say "whoa, that was awesome."

I totally don't see why you keep calling DP a Jimi ripoff. The closest I can think of is just because they also covered Hey Joe, but hey Sam, they changed that one up too.
And I couldn't give a shit weather bands rip-off source material, Led Zeppelin sound far more innovative with whatever they 'ripped off' then Deep Purple sound when they rip off Hendrix, so don' t mak me laugh.
You really aren't making sense so I won't be bothered anymore with your uninformed drivel.
----

01.05.2008 - 16:47
Samuel550
Account deleted
Excuse me, but you grow up. Your the annoying little pissant telling people they should listen to other albums other then Led Zeppelin IV, so congradulations on looking like a hypocrite. I can' t stand people who dictate opinion simply because you disagree. It's fine being critical but people can care less weather you think other albums are better or weather you think people should listen to other music.

And yes, DP rips off Jimi's music and thats just how I feel. I do not have to explain why I feel that way just like you have explained very little on why IV is a bad album other then your bullshit scepticism which proves nothing(Four Sticks wastes the song on a good riff? WTF does that mean?).

Next time you wan't to shit on an album thats populare, try making points that actually disprove the reasons why people like it instead of wasting everybodies time on this sceptical nonsense.
01.05.2008 - 17:49
jadawal

Someone should ring the bell already, or this discussion should get brought into the arena; one of the two.

Jethro Tull rules, I know.

All the music I listen to is best, and everyone else's music is absolute shit, and I'm right. haha
01.05.2008 - 19:36
Samuel550
Account deleted
Written by jadawal on 01.05.2008 at 17:49
All the music I listen to is best, and everyone else's music is absolute shit, and I'm right. haha

I would agree with that concept if it were re-written into 'All the music I listen to is best, but I won't complain about other peoples tastes even though they're generally shit and based on obscure opinion'.
02.05.2008 - 03:38
totaliteraliter

Have fun convincing yourself that downing classic albums will ever make you intelligent.

I actually think In Rock is one of the worst and most overrated rock/metal albums ever recorded.

Heh.

This album (IV) is probably decent in theory, but it has been the most damaged by the relentless rape of Zeppelin's catalogue by classic rock radio and American truck commercials. Therefore I would probably find it quite painful to actually sit down and listen to it. I am slightly puzzled by the cryptic comment closing the review: "this album influenced at least 5 of our favorite bands."
02.05.2008 - 03:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

weather

*whether, tbh
02.05.2008 - 06:55
Samuel550
Account deleted
pyroleprechaun: Bugger off.

totaliteraliter: Note that I siad 'I actually think', not 'know'. And I am less interested in the rotation of Rock radio then I am in the quality of the music. And as it stands, Zeppelins music just does more for me then DP, period. This is nothing more then personal preference and I never exceded my opinion above anyone elses and I have no problem if you think less favourably of IV then I do. Is that good enough?

PS: To the next person who opens the dictionary on me, I'll verbally scewer you worse then a Cannibal Corpse song performed drunk. Clear?
02.05.2008 - 07:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
xD I thought the change in post flow was amusing. Please don't screw me though, I don't like dudes that way.
02.05.2008 - 11:26
Samuel550
Account deleted
Might as well be polite, folk don't seem to take too kindly to the word 'fuck' around here.
19.05.2008 - 04:43
IronBlackZepp

Well I wouldn't go as far to say that DP riped off Hendrix, mabey a lot of there stuff was inspired by Hendrix. I would deffinently say that this is a great album by Led Zeppelin, although in my opinion all of Zepps albums from Led Zeppelin 1 too Phisical Graffitti are equally great. Yes In Rock was not the best album ever, nor is Machine Head but they are still pretty great. They are not as good as any Zepp in my opinion though.
19.05.2008 - 17:39
Samuel550
Account deleted
Exactly.

Led Zeppelin IV: Rock masterpiece.

In Rock or Machine Head: Decent but pale immitators mostly known for good singles(Smoke on The Water).
20.05.2008 - 09:44
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.05.2008 at 06:55

pyroleprechaun: Bugger off.

totaliteraliter: Note that I siad 'I actually think', not 'know'. And I am less interested in the rotation of Rock radio then I am in the quality of the music. And as it stands, Zeppelins music just does more for me then DP, period. This is nothing more then personal preference and I never exceded my opinion above anyone elses and I have no problem if you think less favourably of IV then I do. Is that good enough?

PS: To the next person who opens the dictionary on me, I'll verbally scewer you worse then a Cannibal Corpse song performed drunk. Clear?

Um, that's skewer.

Okay, you can let me have it now... but just for the record I never opened a dictionary.

Hits total: 10345 | This month: 20