Metal Storm logo
J-Pop

23.11.2014 - 05:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So there wasn't a specific thread about this genre here yet. (Actually there was one but it was linked to anime intros which is pretty restrictive, and also the other existing pop thread seem to be spammed with american pop which is totally different from j-pop but anyway...) Anyone else here likes thisawesome genre?

Feel free to discuss, curse, complain, tell how horrid you think it is and all and more importantly feel free to recommend stuff here =]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
23.11.2014 - 12:32
Ilham
Giant robot
I like how you're expecting more complaining that actual sharing .
23.11.2014 - 18:44
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Babymetal killed my family
23.11.2014 - 20:06
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Are j-pop the same as Korean pop ?
----
The Fangirl.
23.11.2014 - 23:15
FOOCK Nam

Written by angel. on 23.11.2014 at 20:06

J pop is japanese pop, the other is from South Korean.

Karlabos: I know band w-inds, and some more though can recall now. Kpop is more popular in nam..
24.11.2014 - 02:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.11.2014 at 23:15

Karlabos: I know band w-inds, and some more though can recall now. Kpop is more popular in nam..

I think there's more to k-pop and j-po than to the nationality of the songwriters. Both are completely distinct musical-wise when compared with those american pop you hear on the radio (except if you live in korea or japan where they probably play kpop and jpop rather than american on the radio).
You can see that american pop have been taking a lot influences from hip hop and dubstep these days. It;'s hard to find bands without those. For instance, I'd say that guy Psy is a korean guy who makes american pop, I wouldn't call it kpop even though he is korean.

Well, it's my view of the thing I didn't exactly chech sources or anything so I could be wrong.

Yeah I heard w-inds but I like more the ones who have those cute female vocals =P
----
- Reimu Hakurei
24.11.2014 - 03:39
FOOCK Nam

Written by Karlabos on 24.11.2014 at 02:39

Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.11.2014 at 23:15

I think there's more to k-pop and j-po than to the nationality of the songwriters. Both are completely distinct musical-wise when compared with those american pop you hear on the radio (except if you live in korea or japan where they probably play kpop and jpop rather than american on the radio).
You can see that american pop have been taking a lot influences from hip hop and dubstep these days. It;'s hard to find bands without those. For instance, I'd say that guy Psy is a korean guy who makes american pop, I wouldn't call it kpop even though he is korean.

Well, it's my view of the thing I didn't exactly chech sources or anything so I could be wrong.

Yeah I heard w-inds but I like more the ones who have those cute female vocals =P

Yea generally it's just the origin so based on country but musically specialty it is different totally when compared to american pop and western one..

I do understand when you say psy makes american pop and the influence in pop..

I remember japanese music has a very nice song Final Fantasy 10 the soundtrack.. Other band, probably you know x Japan, they kind of good, some song like pop,..it seems japanese music scene is huge, though atm more Korean music in nam than jap. Recently, Japan and nam has tightened relationship so it starts having some japanese movie and music on nam tv, pRobaly few years more japanese music will be popular in nam. You are fan of anime, I love all anime music soundtrack, etc, but I don't understand the language, but they are all good songs, even better than kpop to me..

Kpop is huge popular in nam I've heard band like g dragon, Cnblue, snsd, girl generation, lots lots lots band, h.o.t, g.o.d, beast,..
24.11.2014 - 17:26
IronAngel

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is the best thing to happen to pop music generally in several years.
11.01.2016 - 00:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So... Anyone happens to know more moog driven bands with mad song structure in the vein of this?

Preferably with female vocals? :3
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.09.2016 - 13:49
Sang Dalang Abu

Well, I just love one band, they called L' Arc~en~Ciel.
13.07.2017 - 17:00
IronAngel

I've been getting into Japanese music again lately, and found some absolute gems. Perfume, Wednesday Campanella, School Food Punishment, Tricot, Charisma.com (and aforementioned Kyary) are brilliant. They put such effort into production and it pays off.

Here's my Sptofiy playlist, not limited to pop though.
13.07.2017 - 19:28
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^yeah, Suiyoubi no Campanella and Perfume are amazing.
Perfume and Kyary have the same producer (Yasutaka Nakata) behind. You should probably check out also his other stuff: Meg, Coltemonikha, Capsule and since this year also Natsume Mito.

I'm not familiar with Tricot and School Food Punishment, but judging by your jpop taste I probably should give them a go
----
- Reimu Hakurei
13.07.2017 - 19:43
IronAngel

Thanks for the recs, will look for them! Hard to find some Asian stuff on Western streaming services or record stores.

Tricot aren't an exact match for this topic, they're squarely match rock, but with a very J-Poppy aesthetic I think:

Don't know how to describe School Food Generation, they have some rock and lurching electronic stuff going on.
04.01.2018 - 01:42
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Have been discovering some hidden stuff this afternoon:

Migma Shelter, mixing ethereal and electronic elements

Especia, with vaporwave fusion

Oyasumi Hologram, sort of a post rock fusion thing

Also I already knew Yunomi but wasn't aware of a new album released last year =p:
----
- Reimu Hakurei
21.03.2018 - 21:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
New Perfume seems to be walking towards ethereal pop direction:

To be honest they were already hinting towards it with the latest stuff.
Either way I think the next one will be good, yep
----
- Reimu Hakurei
28.06.2019 - 05:35
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Most chill album ever
----
- Reimu Hakurei
07.10.2019 - 23:00
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Hey! Do you know about City pop ? that is a mix of funk/jazz/disco/pop/rock, which took place mostly in the 70s/80s in Japan.

I think that sounds awesome. Like you said there is also anime music, and once again the years 70/80/90 are a treat for the hears. And there's also video games and movie scores. And math of course, with Toe, Tricot... Much great stuff comes from Japan. I hope this thread can live on!

EDIT: thread started 2014? oh my...
----
09.10.2019 - 17:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Oh yeah the old japanese scene was a blast. Not that the current kawaii trend isn't but there's something about the ancient releases which you just don't hear nowadays

Some personal favs:
Yapoos (with voclaist Jun Togawa, which happened to sing in a Vampillia album later)

Chakra

Doopees (this album is really weird. too ahead of its time)
----
- Reimu Hakurei
12.10.2019 - 20:35
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
I just listened to Yapoos for now. I enjoyed it a lot. In fact the vocals are really odd, but I sat through 2 seasons of K-On! so I could survive it. I can't really identify why they sound odd. Are they off pitch? but I don't think so... There's some real strangeness to that.

By the way you were the one who dropped Eskaton in another thread, well I can't thank you enough for that, I've been blasting it a lot trying to figure out the lyrics, and it's cleary one of the best album I ever heard. It's a shame that France doesn't even acknowlege its modern culture, absolutely nobody knows about Eskaton (or par bands) down here. So thank Eskaton, thank you, thank internet and thank MetalStorm.

I'll listen to the other J-albums later, and I leave you with this

----
13.10.2019 - 23:25
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Chakra left no impression on me, and Doopes wasn't really a musical act, more like a controversial experiment. I dig Yapoos though. It makes me think of Nina Hagen sometimes, with the cringey voices and switch to operatic register. I guess you know her already since weirdness seems to be your domain, but just in case I drop it here:

Tricot has been talked about already, but that's what I felt for today
----
14.10.2019 - 00:44
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh nice. I actually don't know much about Nina Hagen. That song you linked is reminding me a lot of the Japanese Ex-Girl
I'm all in for those weird female vocals especially on disco-influenced music
----
- Reimu Hakurei
14.10.2019 - 12:07
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Might look into Ex-Girl too. Nina Hagen is above all a strange character. She sang over a lot of different genres, mostly punk, but also reggae, pop, electro, classical... I find most of her music unappealing, but I'm much more amazed by her personality and all the facial expression, theatral play and crazy vocals. It goes from opera to dry grit throat vocals, heavy breathing, chicken mimicry, harsh screams and high notes, yodel, or clockwork coocoo. You will find different stuff from her depending on the year.

But now I think about it, do you know who's also got a Japanese counterpart ? Eskaton, or Magma. This is called Koenjihyakkei, and it's basically Japanese zeuhl. They seem to sing in their own remote tongue though
----
31.10.2019 - 22:42
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
----
06.11.2019 - 20:30
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
New Soutaiseiriron song;
----
- Reimu Hakurei
09.11.2019 - 22:31
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
I just find out this version of this song through osu!

----
09.11.2019 - 22:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wut? You play osu! ?
----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.11.2019 - 00:06
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by Karlabos on 09.11.2019 at 22:34

Wut? You play osu! ?

I did some time ago, I reached rank #80.000, then realised I should have been practising guitar all this time and stopped. I play occasionaly when I'm bored. It was also a nice way to discover unheard music, amongst loads of crappy anime songs and memes. That's how I discovered Igorrr , eventually (why is this band invisible in my own country?), the Wagakki Band, K-On, and vocaloids, utaites (or is that uteitas?), found out I actually liked some electro (Feint, Camillia...), and some cool stuff too. I did not totally waste my time fortunately. This game is addictive af.
----
10.11.2019 - 02:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ansercanagicus on 10.11.2019 at 00:06

Written by Karlabos on 09.11.2019 at 22:34

Wut? You play osu! ?

I did some time ago, I reached rank #80.000, then realised I should have been practising guitar all this time and stopped. I play occasionaly when I'm bored. It was also a nice way to discover unheard music, amongst loads of crappy anime songs and memes. That's how I discovered Igorrr , eventually (why is this band invisible in my own country?), the Wagakki Band, K-On, and vocaloids, utaites (or is that uteitas?), found out I actually liked some electro (Feint, Camillia...), and some cool stuff too. I did not totally waste my time fortunately. This game is addictive af.

Yep, indeed it is

I used to play a lot, even bought a tablet because I thought it'd be soo much better to play if I did so. I think it was around 2015... I reached 70k or sth
Then my tablet broke and I never fixed because I bought it when I was in the US and was already back in Brazil and they don't have that brand here, so I stopped playing for a long time

Then one day I started playing with mouse just for fun and realized it's about the same difficulty and the tablet doesn't make it better at all (?)
I only play occasionally now tho... I think I dropped to below 200k already

Yeah I also discovered a lot of good stuff from there. Mostly electronic stuff: Ginkiha, El Poco Maro, also some vocaloid.
and of course, some good underground j-pop too: Yunomi, YUC'E, Utagumi Setsugetsuka and all that fluffy stuff
----
- Reimu Hakurei
15.01.2020 - 13:34
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
New Tricot incoming it seems

also it's fun to connect to osu! website and run into Rivers Of Nihil as a new featured artist
----
15.01.2020 - 14:35
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Ha!

Say that osu! is a weeb game now 'mr trve metalheads'
----
- Reimu Hakurei