Metal Storm logo
Voting Abuse, MS, and YOU!

Written by: BitterCOld
Published: 06.12.2014

So you want to be a Stormtrooper and check peoples darkest habits in an effort to report Votecriminals to your local Moderator. Here are some thoughts on the scoring system and tips on tracking down Votecriminals.

Listen up, maggots. I've been doing this far longer than you, and to much greater extent than you can imagine. I've nuked tens of thousands of votes, banned hundreds upon hundreds of multis, and have been keyboard smashed at in response with curse words, strings of cursewords I didn't think possible for my efforts - and I am, and curse like, the proverbial drunken sailor. I wasn't given the title Duke Nukem for nothing.

I'm going to lead with the biggies.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOUR INTERNAL VALUE SYSTEM.

Metal Storm has a set ranking system. A nice, easy ten digit scale.

1 is Lulu. 6 is average. 7 is good. 9 is excellent. 10 is Om, etc.

Thus scoring an album a 7 is not insulting. It's a compliment, believe it or not. No shit. I've lost track of the number of posters here who have been insulted when a reviewer scores an album in the low to mid 7's.

"It's an insult to the artist!" they cry. Usually this repeated and the reviewer's objectivity called into question when they try to explain the score, as if the review itself doesn't reveal some of this.

I reviewed a release for Project Pain, a Dutch thrash band. Scored it in the lower 7's. The same score that has spawned rantings about disrespecting musicians. How'd Guido respond? He facebook friended me and we've stayed in contact since. We aren't best buds, golfing every Saturday, but if I were ever in his neck of the woods, or he in my corner of the jungle, you can bet we'd meet up for some chorizo y cerveza.

No shit.

No need to get worked up about "low scores".

Most albums should fall in to the 6-7 range, leaning towards 7 given predilection of people to primarily listen to music within their interests. I.E. my average vote is a tad higher because I primarily listen to black, doom, and sludge and try to avoid power.

The problem is we have endemic grade inflation here.

When somewhat better than "good" is "insulting" it means we have a slew of users who you could blindfold, turn loose in a metal record store for 30 minutes, and everything they grab would be an 8+.

As a result, when the failures who love albums to the point their feelings are hurt if they aren't number 1 on our "Top 20 of 20XX" chart, go nutso, hurling more 10's than the Dude, Walter, and Donny on any given night at the bowling alley.

We have people who rate albums higher than they think they should be because it's score isn't to their liking as other people didn't enjoy it as much and vote it lower.

We have the Sandbag Brigade, not only scoring their favorite albums 10's, but also blowing up other albums left and right with 1's to sink those album ratings.

Even worse than all of these people are the multis, who create 17 different accounts and pretty much vote identically with each of them. These people also think they are clever by spreading the mutli-account countries around, so they show USA, Germany, Costa Rica, Belgian Congo, and Strongbadia.

Protip: an ip check reveals all. We gonna find you. We gonna find you. So you can run and tell that, homeboy home home homeboy. ? So dumb so dumb so dumb.

So in the end, I'm not even sure why anyone really cares about MS scores as a collective whole. It's all a sea of inflaters, multis, sandbaggers, etc. People complain about reviewers scoring albums - at least they take the time to pound out 300 words or so on why an album is good/bad/ok? Rating is the ultimate of lazy, just click a box.

What I've learned is to never trust any album score (having been burned on mediocre albums that 32 people said was a 10 when a 7 was generous), just find people with tastes similar to your own if you want an assessment. There are probably only 15 people still active on MS that I truly trust for ratings. That's about it. This is the result of common tastes, conversations, and mutual appreciations giving me a fairly good idea that if they think highly of something, odds are it's worth the time.

Random user saying "this is the best/worst album ever" doesn't mean shit.

So I've ranted. There is no spoon. The cake is a lie. And ratings are just pixels.

If, after that diatribe, you are still interested in hunting down Votecriminals, here's my thoughts on how to find them (and not waste my time):

1 - Superfan!

It's not vote abuse to cast a shit ton of 8's, 9's, 10's - particularly if they form a curve which sees more 9's than 8's and 10's combined. It just means dude is an inflater who overrates everything by a point.

Top heavy voting is abuse when a voter checks the 10 for each and every album a band with a decent to prolific output has released. If they think all three Ahab albums are 10's, not a big deal. It's feasible. However if they click everything Iron Maiden ever released a 10, including the flexdisk cover of "This Is The Song That Never Ends" that was released in limited run of 250 units embedded in the Bulova Watch Catalog, Fall 1997, that's abuse.

I use 2-3 bands as a basis for abuse. If three bands, each with more than a fistful (five) releases are straight 10's, big flashing FANBOI VOTECRIMINAL lights go off.
If he tosses a bunch of votes, but each artist has a split of 10's, 9's and some 8's, not an issue.

2 - Superhater!

The same as the above, only with straight 1's. If you really hated that Bullet For My Alexandria album so much you'd rather spend a 16 hour plane flight listening to Supercollider on endless loop than endure one more track of your torment, why in the fuck would you subject yourself to the rest of their discography?

I don't like Manocheese? I listened to one of their "best" albums. Wasn't impressed. Do you think I've gone anywhere near there 85,305 live albums or that single with the same song in 17 languages including smoke signals and braille?

Fuck.

No.

So the Superhaters are clearly abusers. And I derive extra joy (stiff nipples) from nuking these people as 90% of the time they just target the bands it's cool to mock.

3 - The Chartbuster

These are easy to find simply sorting votes by year rather than band. A couple albums with 10's, and scrolling down you see a slew of 1's handed out to other quality releases from the same year in an attempt to sandbag their ratings for that silly little chart.

There are also people who do this for the Top 200 of All Time chart. Easy to spot. The Megadouche fans that rate Master Of Puppets a 1. Sorry, it's a quality album that even if you don't like or want to deride for "playing it safe" and following the formula of "RTL", it's still quality musicians playing quality songs with quality production. I don't see how a sane person could score it below "Average". (This pretty much applies to any other album on the Top 200. They are there for a reason.)

These are also clear cut abusers.

Those are the big three. If you want to lace up your jackboots, grab your digital truncheons and dole out "street justice", that's what you should be looking for. Don't send me some poor bastard who visited the site once and clicked scores for 4 albums? unless you see that seven other accounts were created the same day with similar scores. Then send me 1 or 2 of 'em to check the IP. Don't need 'em all.

Finally - if you are going to be trying to turn in your neighbors as Votecriminals, might want to check your own voting patterns for the above. Pretty funny when someone pm's me whining about a dude dropping a few deuces on a couple releases when the informant is sporting 400+ votes and a 9.75 average.

Thanks and happy hunting.

Written on 06.12.2014 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 75   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 534 users
06.12.2014 - 21:42
Frodd
Account deleted
That needed to be said. You have my sword.
06.12.2014 - 21:47
Ilham
Giant robot
Diddly doo, that was funny to read. All understood .
06.12.2014 - 21:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I approve of this message so damn much.
This is a mandatory read together with the objectivity of reviews, the guest review article and the 101 rules of being a metalstormer. Well done!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.12.2014 - 21:59
InnerSelf
proofread free
Hahahahaha, my god man, I love your articles.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
06.12.2014 - 22:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
OMG 1th part was like In army bootcamp when drill instructor or master chief drill you in exercise and say maggots , pukes
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.12.2014 - 22:53
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I better not get nuked for the 5 I gave to Death's The Sound Of Perseverance. Really dislike that album despite being in the top 200

Other than that, good shit man.
06.12.2014 - 23:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I read the entire article with the voice of R. Lee Ermey . It worked perfectly.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.12.2014 - 23:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
1 is Lulu, 10 is OM

----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.12.2014 - 23:21
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.12.2014 at 23:04

10 is OMG thats so good

Fixed
06.12.2014 - 23:24
Zap
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.12.2014 at 23:03

I read the entire article with the voice of R. Lee Ermey . It worked perfectly.

I did the exact same thing. Great article and I 100% agree with everything in it.
06.12.2014 - 23:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Funniest read on MS in a while. I'd love to help hunt but... Not as much as I would not
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.12.2014 - 00:41
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Pretty much spot on. Never really understood why people get so hung up on ratings anyway - why care what other people think about something you like? Or don't like for that matter.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
07.12.2014 - 01:07
mz

That was a hilarious read.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
07.12.2014 - 02:59
Darth Revan

I think the color system on the ratings throws some people off. Green is perceived to be good, so naturally every album I like should be 8.5 and higher. Red is perceived to be bad, so every album I dislike should be under whatever number corresponds with that. That kind of thinking might be a culprit in people abusing the vote system.
07.12.2014 - 03:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Darth Revan on 07.12.2014 at 02:59

I think the color system on the ratings throws some people off. Green is perceived to be good, so naturally every album I like should be 8.5 and higher. Red is perceived to be bad, so every album I dislike should be under whatever number corresponds with that. That kind of thinking might be a culprit in people abusing the vote system.

rather than simply reading the words sitting next to the numbers?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.12.2014 - 03:24
Darth Revan

Written by BitterCOld on 07.12.2014 at 03:15

Written by Darth Revan on 07.12.2014 at 02:59

rather than simply reading the words sitting next to the numbers?

People are unfortunately lazy, so yes, people will gravitate towards ratings (and the color of said rating) more than the review right next to it. Obviously not everyone is like that, but it's widespread enough that video game sites are starting to abolish ratings entirely so they actually read the damn review.
07.12.2014 - 03:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Darth Revan on 07.12.2014 at 03:24

People are unfortunately lazy, so yes, people will gravitate towards ratings (and the color of said rating) more than the review right next to it. Obviously not everyone is like that, but it's widespread enough that video game sites are starting to abolish ratings entirely so they actually read the damn review.

yeah, because the widespread corruption in the video game industry of companies buying positive reviews <> random schmucks multi-accounting to inflate useless ratings on this site.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.12.2014 - 03:55
Darth Revan

Written by BitterCOld on 07.12.2014 at 03:36

Written by Darth Revan on 07.12.2014 at 03:24

yeah, because the widespread corruption in the video game industry of companies buying positive reviews <> random schmucks multi-accounting to inflate useless ratings on this site.

I never compared it to that, that's another topic altogether... I was just implying that they have their own schmucks, in the form of frothing fanboy hordes. For the record though, corruption in video game journalism is a huge problem, I agree with that.
07.12.2014 - 04:15
moonflash

Funniest shit I've read on this site.
This is how it all played in my mind when you articulated your feelings ever so eloquently about the..ehm.."Sandbaggers, multis, inflaters etc." :

----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
07.12.2014 - 13:00
Curumir

A lot of albums in my collection are rated 9 or 10, but that's because i listened to them before and bought them because they are 9s and 10s. I also only rate albums that i own in flac quality. I might be rating them too high, I give you that, but those green numbers look so damn nice.
07.12.2014 - 13:55
ANGEL REAPER

Fuck after Duke's picture i read whole article in Duke's voice....

Anyway i do agree that internet scoring for stuff is in big inflation. I mean not just on MS but everywhere people are like "Hey we have scale of 1 to 10 lets just use 7-10 and than complain about shit".Also I never cared for votes ,never big into review things etc. but i think we came to point when people just act as spoiled brats when it comes to stuff. Also there seems a big rise of this Social (ok in this case music) Justice Warriors here complaining about those aforementioned brats.Combined those two groups are just putting off users from voting,interacting or plain posting here.

Now this were my two cents on the topic.In other news : Hide yo kids ,hide yo wife cause Duke knows yo IP and he is comin to Nuke ya all!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
07.12.2014 - 14:34
PocketMetal

Lol'd at Bullet for My Alexandria. xD Let the hunt begin.
07.12.2014 - 17:30
Hallford9000

Wonderful article, I even changed ALL my votes so that it's now more realistic. Nice step for a better community and more objective votes.
07.12.2014 - 17:52
Coolingsrock

It should focus more on getting rid of people using 1 and 2 votes instead of 10 votes.(which is still bad)
07.12.2014 - 23:03
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Nice one. Although I fear this might only give some hints of ppl doing this more secure (proxy, multiple hotspots etc).

Oops.

I was a superfan for a loooong time but I find abusing just for the sake of charts very childish.
----
08.12.2014 - 03:40
Reverend X

Good article.

I feel a little guilty. Voting mindset was that 7 is average and 5 is nil. Everybody is doing it and it does not give me an excuse.

This should change we shouldn't be a Superfan, Superhater or a Chartbuster. We should be a little responsible for this. We should give justice to those bands by giving a fitting vote.

Most readers won't even care to read if it has a low score.
08.12.2014 - 03:42
Andrew_Deer
None,really
Wait, what if I just vote for albums I like, leaving rest without voting?
08.12.2014 - 03:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Andrew_Deer on 08.12.2014 at 03:42

Wait, what if I just vote for albums I like, leaving rest without voting?

You're fine, so long as every album you like isn't a 9 or 10. A glance you're swell, if a tad top heavy.
----

08.12.2014 - 18:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah the MS ratings have been upsetting me for the past 9 years. I think all the "superfans" are the biggest problem. A while I was so scarred I didn't even bother checking out albums with a rating lower than 8.5.

And the albums with any rating below 8 here on MS. Watch out! It's average at best.

Jokes aside (although there absolutely is some truth in what I said), great article although I fear it won't have any impact. I guess most vote abusers here doesn't really care about the forum and the articles. Although your rating system is faulty. "Lulu" is a 2. A 1 is Sonata Arctica's "Shitload of Money" single. Or something by Fluxious, Engel and Kaptain Sun.
----
08.12.2014 - 19:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
PM from someone recently nuked:

" I abuse nothing, I have rated all of them 10 because the albums which I like them very much ok? "

125 Average rating: 9.64

yeah, abused nothing.
----

Hits total: 12101 | This month: 24