11. The Greatest Show On Earth
12. Sagan [bonus]

The Best Symphonic Metal Album Of 2015 / The Biggest Letdown Of 2015

Additional info
Available as:
  • Standard CD
  • Digibook (including instrumental CD)
  • 2LP (vinyl in gatefold) in different colors
  • Earbook (including instrumental and orchestral CD)
  • Earbook (deluxe version including bonus vinyl)
  • Download

• Staff review by
    Susan
    Rating:
    Short answer: Yeah, it's really great.

Long answer:

Read more ››
    published 25.03.2015 | Comments (57)

Guest review by
    Metren
    Rating:
    Some bands keep evolving and some don't. Those bands that change their style or genre or - most importantly - change their approach towards songwriting itself are sometimes heavily criticized, and at times rightfully so. Not all change is good and change for the sake of change is pointless for obvious reasons.

However...

Doing the same thing over and over again for five albums is even more pointless. How ironic is it that Nightwish's least original album is inspired by the writings of the father of evolutionary biology? And how unfortunate is it that the inclusion of two new capable musicians to the band has left Holopainen so uninspired?

Read more ››
    published 10.10.2015 | Comments (14)

Found in 49 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 136   Visited by: 1550 users
    08.04.2015 - 09:32
    Rating: 7
    M C Vice
    ex-polydactyl
    Written by AngelofDeth on 03.04.2015 at 20:18

This is a new album. It is a work on it's own ... This is not a remake. It is a new story.

You might be right there. I don't recall any lyrical references to stuff from previous albums like the previous few had. No dead boy or anything.

Written by AngelofDeth on 03.04.2015 at 20:27

Despite Floor not being able to go all out, Floor at 10% is still miles better than Anette at 100%.

Coughbullshitcough.
    ----
    "Another day, another Doug."
    "I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
    " 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
    09.04.2015 - 01:20
    Rating: 8
    AngelofDeth
    Cyborg Raptor
    Written by M C Vice on 08.04.2015 at 09:32

Written by AngelofDeth on 03.04.2015 at 20:18

This is a new album. It is a work on it's own ... This is not a remake. It is a new story.

You might be right there. I don't recall any lyrical references to stuff from previous albums like the previous few had. No dead boy or anything.

That entire commentis a joke about a previous commenter on the thread...

Despite Floor not being able to go all out, Floor at 10% is still miles better than Anette at 100%.

Coughbullshitcough.

Okay. Thanks for your extremely important words adding to the discussion.
    ----
    pewpew.. gotcha
    09.04.2015 - 11:02
    moribun
    I tried to love it but I failed, too forgettable for me.
    09.04.2015 - 11:26
    M C Vice
    ex-polydactyl
    Written by AngelofDeth on 09.04.2015 at 01:20

Coughbullshitcough.

Okay. Thanks for your extremely important words adding to the discussion.

Well, Olzon is the only one of the 3 lead singers who consistently hit the right notes on the recordings. (that's from my brother, who's got a better ear for keys and all that stuff. I just think Floor was bland and possibly bored on large chunks of the album.)
    ----
    "Another day, another Doug."
    "I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
    " 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
    10.04.2015 - 01:33
    AngelofDeth
    Cyborg Raptor
    Written by M C Vice on 09.04.2015 at 11:26

Well, Olzon is the only one of the 3 lead singers who consistently hit the right notes on the recordings. (that's from my brother, who's got a better ear for keys and all that stuff. I just think Floor was bland and possibly bored on large chunks of the album.)

Well, Floor and Tarja sound capable of hitting notes to me and even if not all recordings are auto-tuned nowadays anyway so I highly doubt anything is off key on the recordings.

Either way, Anette has terrible tone and quality to her voice, it's thin, shrill and shallow imo and even if she can hit a few notes right she has a really tight range compared to most singers in the genre. And even if Floor and Tarja are slightly off on rec, which I'd need proof to believe, they still sound great because of their range, quality and power to their voice. Good singing is more than just about hitting notes 100% perfect, after all you could teach a parrot to sing notes spot on but they would still sound like shit because of all the other elements that go into a good music.
    ----
    pewpew.. gotcha
    11.04.2015 - 14:54
    the_scarecrow
    It's funny, I never realized how much I really enjoy Anette's vocals until she and Nightwish parted ways. Now, upon hearing Endless Forms Most Beautiful, I've come to the conclusion that Anette is my favourite of the three vocalists. Floor is great, but I can't shake the perception that it's just Nightwish featuring Floor Jansen, and not a band as a unit. Floor is indeed one of the best vocalists in the genre, but she lacks a charm that Anette possesses.
    13.04.2015 - 22:52
    ohmayhem
    I also found myself missing Anette. Especially during Weak Fantasy. I feel like she would have killed it on that song! Floor's verses on that one are pretty unpleasant on the ears.
    16.04.2015 - 11:17
    Rating: 6
    boo-boo
    Gave it three spins, but it seemed totally boring each time. Perhaps I'll come back to it in time, but till then I can say nothing truly positive about the record. It's good, but forgettable.
    ----
    World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
    16.04.2015 - 17:08
    BlackMetalDay
    Big disappointment, there are so many boring songs... Frequently the songwritting seems not that clever and sometimes the singing is not that good (ex: Weak Fantasy).
    And the last song could have been wonderful, but the beginning and the end are long and not that interesting, so it ruins everything.
    17.04.2015 - 23:19
    ScottyM
    Written by Guest on 10.04.2015 at 10:28

Stargazers + Operatic vocals ^.^

Unlike other bands *coughArchEnemycough*, I believe these guys could pull off a masterpiece if they were to re-release all their former hits with the new line-up, even with Troy covering for some of the wind instrument parts, as seen in Stargazers.

Side note, soooooooo looking forward to seeing this in person next month when they come to Maryland!
    18.04.2015 - 21:13
    the_scarecrow
    Written by ScottyM on 17.04.2015 at 23:19

Unlike other bands *coughArchEnemycough*, I believe these guys could pull off a masterpiece if they were to re-release all their former hits with the new line-up, even with Troy covering for some of the wind instrument parts, as seen in Stargazers.

Side note, soooooooo looking forward to seeing this in person next month when they come to Maryland!

I reckon "The Pharaoh Sails to Orion" sung by Floor would sound incredible. Although, those high notes sound like they'd be difficult to hit, I'd love to hear Floor's attempt.
    18.04.2015 - 23:40
    Azarath
    Free as a.. Fish
    I'm not really feeling it. But I'll keep at it.
    19.04.2015 - 16:39
    Ag Fox
    Angel No More
    elite
    Annette was never bad, but I think the songs in Imaginaerum wasn't that good to begin with.

The Poet And The Pendulum, Bye Bye Beautiful and Ghost River are still among my favourite Nightwish songs, and all of them with Annette.

Anyway, I really enjoy Floor's vocal performance here too, but it's just hard to discern my preference of Floor over Annette has to do with actual performance or the actual songs themselves =P

I actually miss Marco Hietala (not those slow folky songs though), as he lends an extra dimension of power to the songs, and they haven't been properly utilised in this album, which is a shame to me
    ----
    loves 小巫
    22.04.2015 - 21:10
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Btw what would be this album if Toumas would not make his solo Donald Duck album , how would this album sound like now?
    ----
    I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
    apos;'
    [image]
    I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
    23.04.2015 - 00:58
    HyperDrifter
    Written by Azarath on 18.04.2015 at 23:40

I'm not really feeling it. But I'll keep at it.

I'm just the same! I keep listening to it but I just don't know what to think about it, I can't decide if I like it or not
    23.04.2015 - 20:13
    Azarath
    Free as a.. Fish
    Written by HyperDrifter on 23.04.2015 at 00:58

I keep listening to it but I just don't know what to think about it, I can't decide if I like it or not

It's an odd one, that's for sure. The album has grown on me, but I find it... unsatisfying.
    22.05.2015 - 01:00
    robpal
    Proglord
    Solid album with some remarkable moments. My main problem with EFMB is the closing song. It wast supposed to be epic and I find it rather over the top, with some really unnecessary moments. Shortened to 15 minutes would be much better.
    I was really left unimpressed after the first spin but the recording somehow grew on me. There are some phenomenal melodies here (Endless Forms Most Beautiful, Edema Ruh -- my favorite two songs) which at the same time are really catchy.
    11.06.2015 - 20:10
    HyperDrifter
    I've decided I like it after many more listens Nightwish are capable of putting out far better though - especially with Floor in their ranks now!
    14.07.2015 - 01:59
    Enemy of Reality
    Account deleted
    Been listening to this again lately. There's so mcuh going on in this record that it takes time to make its effect.
    I think the first part of the album is kind of dull. Predictable structures and some added heaviness, especially in the first song. But from the catchy folkish My Walden forth is much much better. The title track has a Once feeling to it and Edema Ruh is a soft-ballad-like-song where Nightwish achieve brilliance.
    Still think that it isnt an awesome comeback, but it's definitely better than the previous album.
    02.08.2015 - 18:00
    Rating: 9
    FinnRommi
    In my opinion this is the best Nightwish album since Once
    28.09.2015 - 19:51
    Rating: 6
    This is really meh... I mean, I enjoy EFMB as long as I'm playing it (which isn't often) but soon afterwards the album is completely forgotten. It just doesn't contain any memorable songs. What is it with that recycled riff i Shudder Before the Beautiful? This is the third time I'm hearing it after Dark Chest of Wonders and Storytime. With Storytime it doesn't bug me so much because the song itself is different enough from Dark Chest of Wonders but here it's plainfully obvious. It's basically a copy of Dark Chest of Wonders but still fans are raving about it and it even won that award. I just don't see appeal of it.
    Also, Shudder Before the Beautiful is for me a symbol for the problem of EFMB: The lack of new ideas. I've heard all the elements of the album before. We've had the big dramatic moments, the celtic moments, the heavy ones, the quiet ones, the instrumental ones, and so on. EFMB offers nothing new musicwise and this something I've never expected of Nightwish, so EFMB disappointed me quite a bit. It also shocked me to see how underused Floor's vocals are on the album. Sure, you can still hear her growling in Yours is an Empty Hope and The Greatest Show on Earth and a little bit of classical vocals in the beginning of the same song but I expected her to her show of her verstatility much more. Why don't you use such a powerful vocalist when you have one? I don't get it.
    The only moment where the albums rises above average and where I really get goosebumps is the beginning of The Greast Show on Earth. The piano, Floor's classical vocals, it's great. This is the stuff I want to hear on the next album, not the same ideas being repeated again and again.
    02.03.2016 - 15:53
    Rating: 5
    Zenzero
    Zenzero
    One of their worst works....
    13.03.2016 - 23:17
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Zenzero on 02.03.2016 at 15:53

what is wrong whit you ppl ...If I who is bitching about bands all the time, can play this again and again, only one album its opening what I can play again and again, others are just one time and then let silence talks for a while
    ----
    I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
    apos;'
    [image]
    I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
    13.03.2016 - 23:55
    Zenzero
    Zenzero
    Written by Bad English on 13.03.2016 at 23:17

Written by Zenzero on 02.03.2016 at 15:53

what is wrong whit you ppl ...If I who is bitching about bands all the time, can play this again and again, only one album its opening what I can play again and again, others are just one time and then let silence talks for a while

That's just my opinion... I personally don't like it as their previous works.
    15.03.2016 - 10:14
    marshalldml
    I really want to like it.
    But?it's just boring.
    Lots of the songwriting is copying their earlier albums.
    And Floor sounds worse than Anette,I thought she can be better than Tarja...
    How was Tuomas able to create this shit I've no idea...
    10.10.2016 - 21:45
    Unlistenable. Won't rate it though since I've never made it through more than a few songs before turning it off in disgust.
    14.05.2017 - 01:40
    Rating: 10
    Swifthom
    Really love this album. The final track tells such a beautiful story - see you youtube accompaniment video fans have made and you'll appreciate it even more. The first half of the album is a great prelude to the final act, some great hits, but its the lead in to simrthi g epic.
    14.05.2017 - 20:49
    Polaria
    Written by Swifthom on 14.05.2017 at 01:40

Really love this album. The final track tells such a beautiful story - see you youtube accompaniment video fans have made and you'll appreciate it even more. The first half of the album is a great prelude to the final act, some great hits, but its the lead in to simrthi g epic.

Mmh... Have you listened to Oceanborn and Wishmaster? Those are Nightwish's epic works in my opinion.

I do hope that Floor will be able to express herself at her fullest on the next album, she's been way too restrained on Endless Forms Most Beautiful. What a waste of her vocal abilities
    I think that they still have the potential to release a badass album though!
    ----
    Life is all the pain we endeavour.
    15.06.2018 - 16:59
    abysss
    I'm actually disturbed by the amount of support Floor gets regarding Nightwish. I discovered Nightwish somewhere after they released the Bless The Child album. It was AWESOME!! I felt in love with them immediately, then the album Once came out and I was really hooked, I loved everything they ever done, from Angels Fall First to Once, and not just because of Tarja. These albums were a masterpiece, they all were, both, vocally and instrumentally. And there came the shock...

And then came Anette, I wasn't happy, but I got slowly used to it. ...And then came Floor. I mean, I listened to After Forever in the past and apart from a very select few songs I was pretty bored with the whole band and her voice... it just neverendingly dragged, if that's even a word. Then they released this last album, which is not that bad, but... BUT. I don't get it. Why Floor?? why are Nightwish so happy with her? And why Nightwish fans are crazy about her that much as well? I feel like the word really has gone mad under this aspect and I just don't get it, WHY?!

Musically wise they changed from Special and epic to above mediocre at it's best.... And not just because of Floor. Their whole music lost dynamism and Marco is the only thing left that saves the band at this point, IMO.
    18.06.2018 - 02:38
    Rating: 9
    mikeprado30
    Really can't understand the hatred for this album and surely I won't get it never.

THIS ALBUM MUSICALLY IS REALLY AWESOME!!!

Maybe Floor doesn't push herself more in her performance, but the musicianship for this album is OVER THE TOP.
    ----
    BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!

Hits total: 35594 | This month: 60