01. Funeral Fog
02. Freezing Moon
03. Cursed In Eternity
04. Pagan Fears
05. Life Eternal
06. From The Dark Past
07. Buried By Time And Dust
08. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

This is one of the most respected albums in Black Metal History, Why is that? Beats me actually, but I can assure you this album is uncommon and very original for the genre it stands for, the music is aggressive and very raw, the execution towards this album is not complex or actually talented, but it's multi-faceted and layered, I think this album deserves all the credit it has, now lets take a closer view...

This "new" vocalist is somehow better than Dead, the tone of Sven is more high-pitched oriented, the vocal work sounds like an actual beast out of hell screaming some impossible to understand lyrics. The album per-se is very good, some might say it's repetitive, but well most times straight Black Metal or Raw Black Metal sounds that way, when you hear a band like Mayhem or Darkthrone or whatever you must know that the band is not "new wave" oriented, Mayhem(even though this album has some melodic approaches) and such bands make pure shots of aggression and music that most times sounds like an improvisation (in a good way of course), so clearly if you are a fan of Dimmu Borgir, Susperia, Old Man's Child, etc... You will hate or simply won't bare bands like early Mayhem.

Every track in this album is over the average Black Metal sound, this time Mayhem added a lot of cold passages to the music and even some slow tempo riffs, this transition made this album almost perfect, the raw elements are still there but now the music sounds a little bit more layered, this new feature gives a chance for the audience to sit back and actually enjoy some tracks in the "not so aggressive" way; the fourth track for example, "Pagan Fears", starts with the usual rapid and violent music but then in the middle the music starts to change and finally we can even hear one incredible guitar solo.

The production is muddy as always, but it only gives the music a colder feeling, so I can't complain about the production, actually the way it is done gives the music a whole new environment, which is good by the way. Either way the instruments can be appreciated nicely and sometimes clearly.

I love this release, sadly I can't assure you will too, Black Metal nowadays has become a fusion of genres that have nothing to do with "original" black metal...I'll just say, if you are a fan of early Mayhem, Darkthrone, Von, Beherit, and early Black Metal in general you'll find in this album a Masterpiece, but if you worship Dark Funeral or Carpathian Forest you will find this album unbearable and noisy.

Written by Herzebeth | 29.07.2005

Guest review by
Jagermeister
Rating:
Whenever one thinks of the term "black metal," they almost instantly think of Mayhem and their magnum opus, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Why is that?

Read more ››
published 09.06.2015 | Comments (6)

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 46   Visited by: 471 users
25.03.2011 - 20:15
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Kuroboshi on 25.03.2011 at 19:31

Written by Deadmeat on 25.03.2011 at 18:45

Written by Kuroboshi on 04.02.2011 at 03:55

Great bm, especially pagan fears. But the vocalist is just so bad.

this vocalist is one of the biggest and most important names of black metal...

But that doesn't make him good, does it? Well, at least to my ears it doesn't.

imo he is great....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
25.03.2011 - 20:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Attila is awesome and you people know it. What's the alternative, another typical black metal rasper, like the other 50000 out there? Nah.
30.05.2011 - 15:44
Zombie94

Written by Uirapuru on 20.04.2008 at 06:29

Masterpiece Alert!!!! as much as i loved Deathcrush, this album is legendary. the vocals are amazing, worse than Dead, but equally competent. Best song Funeral Fog, a killer opening for album.

Completely agree. The riff on that song is awesome and it's the best black metal song I've heard so far. Although I have to say I really love Atilla's vocals, so Scandinavian sounding and evil. My favourite part of the album is when he's singing Funeral Fog and the line "In the middle of Transylvaniaaaaa"
30.05.2011 - 16:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Zombie94 on 30.05.2011 at 15:44

so Scandinavian sounding and evil.

Hmmm yeah he sounds pretty damn evil al right. But scandinavian sounding? what?
He's from Hungary. You can even tell by his really thick accent in interviews. Far from scandinavian.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.05.2011 - 18:51
Zombie94

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.05.2011 at 16:36

Written by Zombie94 on 30.05.2011 at 15:44

so Scandinavian sounding and evil.

Hmmm yeah he sounds pretty damn evil al right. But scandinavian sounding? what?
He's from Hungary. You can even tell by his really thick accent in interviews. Far from scandinavian.

I'm from Ireland, so unfortunately it sounds more or less the same to me
30.05.2011 - 19:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Zombie94 on 30.05.2011 at 18:51

Sorry dude but that's like saying "yeah the german accent is pretty much the same as the french accent". Without even talking about how far both contruies are from each other
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.05.2011 - 20:00
Zombie94

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.05.2011 at 19:42

Written by Zombie94 on 30.05.2011 at 18:51

Sorry dude but that's like saying "yeah the german accent is pretty much the same as the french accent". Without even talking about how far both contruies are from each other

well I can tell THOSE apart hehe. nah to be honest I definitely could tell a Hungarian accent from a Norwegian, or at least I'd know they were from 2 different countries. But I'd never heard an interview with him so it's kinda hard to be that accurate from just hearing him do a a black metal scream. And plus he's in a Norwegian band so I just assumed...wrongly of course
30.05.2011 - 20:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Zombie94 on 30.05.2011 at 20:00

well I can tell THOSE apart hehe. nah to be honest I definitely could tell a Hungarian accent from a Norwegian, or at least I'd know they were from 2 different countries. But I'd never heard an interview with him so it's kinda hard to be that accurate from just hearing him do a a black metal scream. And plus he's in a Norwegian band so I just assumed...wrongly of course

check out this link it's the first video interview Metalstorm did
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.05.2011 - 20:58
Zombie94

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.05.2011 at 20:48

Written by Zombie94 on 30.05.2011 at 20:00

check out this link it's the first video interview Metalstorm did

way ahead of you and from watching that I realised that I've been thinking that Maniac is Attila the whole time.
30.05.2011 - 21:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Zombie94 on 30.05.2011 at 20:58

way ahead of you and from watching that I realised that I've been thinking that Maniac is Attila the whole time.

There you go, Maniac IS scandinavien. He's from sweden though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2014 - 01:18
BloodFireDeath

This album is really good and each track is memorable, but their best album is Ordo. That album is just fantastic.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
03.10.2017 - 21:10
BetulaObscura

Great album! One of the best and most influential in BM history! As simple as that.

One of the most interesting thing (except impressive music) is: that album has very good production which makes it even better on good HI-FI audio systems. It has powerful and mighty sound. Thanks to Eirik Hundvin aka Pytten who produced album (and many more). This is the perfect example how good BM music can defend itself (without rubbish quality production) and sounds "true".
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
17.01.2019 - 13:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree whit opening part but real talent is that BM bands from raw sound switch to atmosphere and same time creates great BM, (I am talking about other bands)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.01.2019 - 15:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 17.01.2019 at 13:23

I agree whit opening part but real talent is that BM bands from raw sound switch to atmosphere and same time creates great BM, (I am talking about other bands)

This album by Mayhem is chockful of atmosphere.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.01.2019 - 17:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It dont work, even this is best bands album. Listening just this band and denying that BM has grow up and are betetr nowadays, is same as saying that manowar is only true metal band. Its same.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.08.2021 - 20:34
BlankFile

One of the most Iconic Black Metal álbums ever.

Hits total: 11825 | This month: 27