8 - Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
    9 - Decade Of ΘΕΡΙΟΝ
    10 - At The Left Hand Ov God
    11 - Slaves Shall Serve
    12 - Chant For ΕΣΧΗΑΤΟΝ 2000
    13 - 23 (The Youth Manifesto)
    14 - Lucifer
02. The Satanist: Oblivion

What's my favorite scary movie? The Shining. With its subtle, psychological terror and slow-build that only Kubrick can pull off, it's a masterpiece. Sure, I get down with the gore-ridden creature features too. Everything from Evil Dead to Friday the 13th is cool in my book. Why is this relevant? Aliens. Okay, now you are more confused. Let me elaborate further. I think a lot of long-time fans come to a Behemoth album expecting a certain level of violence. Demigod, Thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus; these classics are the "Aliens" of the Behemoth discography. Explosions, flame-throwers, disembowelment, "Game over man, game over!" I'm right with you, popcorn ready. The Satanist, on the other hand, is "Alien." Swarms of xenomorphs are replaced with a single, lurking threat in the shadows. The emphasis is on tension as each innocent is picked off one by one and dragged to their grim (and unseen) demise. While both styles are equally valid, I find the imagination to be a far darker place than anything directly fed to my senses.

I tend to rate an album along three criteria: enjoyability, musicianship, and innovation. I'll start with enjoyability. As a fan of thrillers, this album has it in spades. From the simple, catchiness of "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel" to the cathartic cries of "O Father O Satan O Sun!", there is nary a moment that does not grip me to the core. I love this album with the exact same intensity I did the first time I listened to it. I still find myself frequently growling along to "Messe Noir" and playing double-bass under my desk to "Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer." I may know that Dallas is going to die in those vents, but I'm still on the edge of my seat every time he goes in there.

Regarding musicianship, subtly wins me over in this department. What Alien lacks in creature effects, it makes up for with careful editing, cinematography, and pacing. The same can be said for The Satanist: it may not have the most technical guitar parts or original concepts, but damned if the songwriting doesn't know how to spin straw into gold. Rather than being symphonic in the bombastic sense of Dimmu Borgir or later Septicflesh, Behemoth take a more understated, chamber music approach. This atmosphere combines with the earworm melodies in such a way as to build something that is cohesive without losing a sense of what makes each track special.

I have already begun to allude to innovation in saying that the ideas here are not new. They are, however, a big step for the group. While much of the present territory was explored on Evangelion, it was not done with this level of mastery. Think back to the first time you saw that chestbuster burst from Kane's torso. Would that have been nearly as disturbing without the quiet dread building so long before? Dynamics are a big part of what makes The Satanist a slam dunk for me. The dreary, gothic and menacing parts make each crescendo hit that much harder. Those looking for a truncated example need look no further than the first single. The final moments of that track work so well only because of all the time spent lulling a certain hypnotic sense of fragile safety. This is in stark contrast to the more balls-to-the-wall approach of albums like Demigod.

In the end, this is a well-deserved 10. Those familiar with my Metal Archives reviews know that I don't give out too many, but the The Satanist soars on black wings with its staying power, songwriting, and dynamic progression. Those looking for something more blunt and direct would be better served elsewhere, but fans of Ridley Scott and Giger (RIP) will rejoice at the slow burn. In space, you CAN hear Nergal scream.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by flightoficarus | 09.02.2015

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
wormdrink414
Rating:
Not too many bands could throw a spoken-word, Kenny G sax muzak thing into the middle of a song called "In The Absence Ov Light" and not get laughed away into obscurity. Behemoth can get away with shit like that. They're just too cool to be dismissed. They sound cool and, with a theatrical sense that rivals well over half a Lady Gaga, they LOOK cool. I mean, I'm not gay, but I'd let Nergal and Orion double team me if they still want to.

Read more ››
published 12.02.2014 | Comments (215)

Comments

Comments: 41   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 220 users
09.02.2015 - 19:55
garmling
Account deleted
"This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff."

Who the fuck cares about the point of view of MS staff? I don't, especially when I see that 6 rating review of theirs! AND MORE so when I see their lists of favorite albums from last year! Awful tastes imo! This album is a fucking MASTERPIECE! I love every and single part of it and it is probably my favorite from entire Behemoth discography! It is innovative, it has great production and it is hell of a ride... Great and well written review man, you've done this album justice it deserves!
09.02.2015 - 19:57
Rating: 10
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 09.02.2015 at 19:55

"This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff."

Who the fuck cares about the point of view of MS staff? I don't, especially when I see that 6 rating review of theirs! AND MORE so when I see their lists of favorite albums from last year! Awful tastes imo! This album is a fucking MASTERPIECE! I love every and single part of it and it is probably my favorite from entire Behemoth discography! It is innovative, it has great production and it is hell of a ride... Great and well written review man, you've done this album justice it deserves!

Thanks. I felt like we needed an alternate perspective. I see valid points for both sides, so having reviews on both extremes seems warranted. I am sure not all of the comments will be quite so warm, but I could care less. Flame on, people.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
09.02.2015 - 20:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Looks like this went through with a big fat coding error.

But yeah, I well and truly didn't like this album; zero songwriting chops. I found Schammasch's 'Contradiction' did what this album failed to do for me.
09.02.2015 - 20:39
Rating: 5
Ilham
Giant robot
You didn't close your italic [/i] tag correctly.

Other than that, garmling, good job at looking like a fool just because you didn't agree with the staff review.
09.02.2015 - 20:42
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Ilham on 09.02.2015 at 20:39

Other than that, garmling, good job at looking like a fool just because you didn't agree with the staff review.

I believe it got messed up during the proof-read as it looked fine when I hit preview before. Either way, yeah that sucks. Want to fix it. Look like a fool? It is a well known fact that I AM a fool.
----
09.02.2015 - 20:45
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by flightoficarus on 09.02.2015 at 20:42

Look like a fool? It is a well known fact that I AM a fool.

She wasn't talking to you...
09.02.2015 - 20:47
Ilham
Giant robot

I believe it got messed up during the proof-read as it looked fine when I hit preview before. Either way, yeah that sucks. Want to fix it. Look like a fool? It is a well known fact that I AM a fool.

You can ask your proofreader to make the necessary changes.
You didn't read that part well, it was directed at the guy who wrote off twenty people as having awful taste because we don't share the same admiration for whatever bands he listens to.
09.02.2015 - 20:48
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Ponderer, is that you?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.02.2015 - 21:03
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Ilham on 09.02.2015 at 20:47

You can ask your proofreader to make the necessary changes.
You didn't read that part well, it was directed at the guy who wrote off twenty people as having awful taste because we don't share the same admiration for whatever bands he listens to.

Just got it. Der. It's Monday.
----
09.02.2015 - 21:04
Rating: 6
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Holy shi....Ponderer is back?

Nah, he wasn't on MA and plus he has a beef with BaN. Anyhoo, can he be found on fb?

I can't sell any of my high shares to see him on fb.
09.02.2015 - 21:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.02.2015 at 21:04

and plus he has a beef with BaN.

09.02.2015 - 21:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
He's not ponderer, a joke on my part as the MO is vaguely similar. responding to a "harsh" review of an album with a glowing review.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.02.2015 - 21:20
Rating: 6
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 09.02.2015 at 21:05

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.02.2015 at 21:04

and plus he has a beef with BaN.

Argh, I meant this.
09.02.2015 - 21:44
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Garmling... I remember his comments about Jews... We had an argument And I believe the whole conversation was deleted
09.02.2015 - 22:25
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by BitterCOld on 09.02.2015 at 21:13

He's not ponderer, a joke on my part as the MO is vaguely similar. responding to a "harsh" review of an album with a glowing review.

In my opinion, the best reason to do a review is because there either isn't one, or you staunchly disagree with the ones available. Otherwise I'm just reiterating what has already been said. Just my two cents. Prepare for more of this, albeit in the other direction, if my Periphery review gets posted.
----
09.02.2015 - 22:25
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Behemoth reached their potential in zos kia and demigod. after these they are slowly declining till today and this album is one of their worst... even if someone calls it a good album, rating it with 10 means that the forementioned albums should get a 15..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
09.02.2015 - 22:43
Lit.
Account deleted
Fanboy, much?
09.02.2015 - 23:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Hmm? I smell popcorn
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.02.2015 - 23:25
garmling
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 09.02.2015 at 20:39

Somebody's touched... Sorry
10.02.2015 - 00:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite

Who the fuck cares about the point of view of MS staff? I don't, especially when I see that 6 rating review of theirs! AND MORE so when I see their lists of favorite albums from last year! Awful tastes imo!

Comrade Garmling trudges through the Metal Storm jungle with his loyal band of rebels, armed to the teeth with mouse and keyboard, great weapons that shall, it can not be denied, bring terror to the fascist regime of the MS hierarchy.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.02.2015 - 00:21
garmling
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.02.2015 at 00:03

Who the fuck cares about the point of view of MS staff? I don't, especially when I see that 6 rating review of theirs! AND MORE so when I see their lists of favorite albums from last year! Awful tastes imo!

Comrade Garmling trudges through the Metal Storm jungle with his loyal band of rebels, armed to the teeth with mouse and keyboard, great weapons that shall, it can not be denied, bring terror to the fascist regime of the MS hierarchy.

IMO = In My Opinion
It is just my disagreement and here I expressed it! It is no offence! Tastes differ...
You know, I prefer some other weapons, but mouse and keyboard can be very devastating weapons if used correctly
10.02.2015 - 01:27
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 09.02.2015 at 23:25

Not really, a blanket statement using foul language like that doesn't strike me as one that has to be taken personally, I was just pointing out how narrow-minded it makes you look. Your loss .
10.02.2015 - 02:47
garmling
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 10.02.2015 at 01:27

Written by Guest on 09.02.2015 at 23:25

Not really, a blanket statement using foul language like that doesn't strike me as one that has to be taken personally, I was just pointing out how narrow-minded it makes you look. Your loss .

god damn PMS...ok you won, I quit
10.02.2015 - 03:00
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 10.02.2015 at 02:47

god damn PMS...ok you won, I quit

Sure, write-off a woman's polite response to a not-so thought-out and polite comment of yours as PMS. That will make you look intelligent and not sexist at all .
10.02.2015 - 03:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ilham on 10.02.2015 at 03:00

Sure, write-off a woman's polite response to a not-so thought-out and polite comment of yours as PMS. That will make you look intelligent and not sexist at all .

He's hasn't got laid in more than a year judging by his response. Wtf? Pms? How much of a male chauvanist pig can one be?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2015 - 03:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2015 at 03:07

How much of a male chauvanist pig can one be?

Sounds like a challenge to me.
10.02.2015 - 03:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Funny how loads of men say a woman has pms when she is stating an opinion not in accordacne with theirs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2015 - 03:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 10.02.2015 at 03:08

How much of a male chauvanist pig can one be?

Sounds like a challenge to me.

I will be fighting for top honours, I can guarantee you
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2015 - 03:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2015 at 03:10

I will be fighting for top honours, I can guarantee you

Right, let's get offensive... ah, maybe tomorrow morning instead.
10.02.2015 - 03:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by deadone on 10.02.2015 at 03:23

He's hasn't got laid in more than a year judging by his response. Wtf? Pms? How much of a male chauvanist pig can one be?

It's not surprising as he's from the Balkans. Not the most enlightened crew (I'm originally from one of those primitive states and my blood relations are there).

Didn't know he was from that area. But that does indeed explain a lot. Biggest case in point we have here at MS is Rasputin who is from that area and is the worst one around.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 4367 | This month: 32