06. Sampo [live]
07. Alone [live]
08. The Wanderer [live]
09. Her Alone [feat. Anneke van Giersbergen] [live]

Top 20 albums of 2015: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 121
Featured in "Getting Into: Amorphis"

Additional info
Produced by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios.
Released by Nuclear Blast.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Amorphis is one of the sure values coming out of Finland. Everybody knows (or should know) their early history as a melodic death band. 1994's Tales From The Thousand Lakes remains to this day a classic album. These musicians have been together over 10 years with their current lineup. Emblematic singer Tomi Joutsen was the last piece of the puzzle that led them to a trailblazing second career that started in 2005 with the release of Eclipse. Let's fast forward to 2015. Under The Red Cloud, with that eye-catching psychedelic artwork, is their 12th studio release expected September 4th through Nuclear Blast.

Read more ››
published 28.08.2015 | Comments (13)

Found in 104 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 122   Visited by: 2373 users
16.11.2015 - 23:52
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
After listening to this some more, I don't find myself going back to it too often, save for a few tracks (Death of a King, Under the Red Cloud, and Dark Path are good songs). I think they're starting to go into "more of the same" territory. A bit of a letdown I think after Circle, but that's my opinion.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
23.11.2015 - 05:58
Rating: 9
Doge of Venice

You sure? I'm finding the opposite - wanting to go less to Circle. Though that might be because of the production. It was awful on Circle. But I love just listening to Four Wise Ones, Dark Path, Tree of Ages, Bad Blood, Under the Red Cloud and the bonus track Come the Spring. All are fanrastic.
23.11.2015 - 08:51
Rating: 10
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by CobiWan1993 on 16.11.2015 at 23:52

I think they're starting to go into "more of the same" territory.

Kinda strange opinion, this being their most adventurous album with the current line-up. For me it's actually Skyforger that's lost some magic during the years, though I still consider it great.
23.11.2015 - 19:31
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Doge of Venice on 23.11.2015 at 05:58

You sure? I'm finding the opposite - wanting to go less to Circle. Though that might be because of the production. It was awful on Circle. But I love just listening to Four Wise Ones, Dark Path, Tree of Ages, Bad Blood, Under the Red Cloud and the bonus track Come the Spring. All are fanrastic.

I agree that the production is much worse on Circle, but I don't know, this new album hasn't really "clicked" for me in the same way I guess. I may boost my rating soon.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
23.11.2015 - 20:31
Doge of Venice

Written by CobiWan1993 on 23.11.2015 at 19:31

Written by Doge of Venice on 23.11.2015 at 05:58

I agree that the production is much worse on Circle, but I don't know, this new album hasn't really "clicked" for me in the same way I guess. I may boost my rating soon.

That's fair enough.

I did enjoy Circle (much more than Beginning of Times and Skyforger) but it had no real standouts. It was a very consistent album. I feel this album os the same, it just has a few standouts on top.
23.11.2015 - 20:40
musclassia

Written by Doge of Venice on 23.11.2015 at 20:31

That's fair enough.

I did enjoy Circle (much more than Beginning of Times and Skyforger) but it had no real standouts. It was a very consistent album. I feel this album os the same, it just has a few standouts on top.

I've actually thought the standout tracks on Circle were pretty obvious for me - it's one of my favourite Amorphis albums, but Narrow Path, Nightbird's Song and Enchanted By The Moon have always been the clear choice cuts for me.

As for the production, I never really found production to be an issue with either album - I think UTRC's is a bit better and more suited to the more extreme nature of it, but I've generally found Circle's production pretty satisfactory. In any case, I'd probably put UTRC just above Circle, but for me they both (along with Eclipse) are my favourite of the Joutsen albums - and I really like the other three too.
03.12.2015 - 19:41
Pikemaster

I'm quite amazed that this is still best rated album since Enslaved axioma ethica odini
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
03.12.2015 - 22:03
Sword_Chant

This album still gets played a lot on my ipod what a great CD. Glad it's got so many 10's!
11.12.2015 - 22:53
Rating: 7
Death

It's a decent album but I didn't get as hyped as most did unfortunately. Also it's funny that the bonus song Come The Spring is much better than any of the non-bonus songs.
19.12.2015 - 14:38
musclassia

Just came across the Japanese bonus track "The Wind" - it's not quite as good as the main album tracks or even Come The Spring, but it's a good listen for those who are curious or want more Amorphis
03.01.2016 - 12:32
Grivata

In my opinion this is the best album with Tomi Joutsen and one of the best metal albums of 2015!
26.02.2016 - 23:54
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Despite the great reviews i believe Circle was better... Bad Blood and Death Of A King are the best songs IMO...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
28.02.2016 - 04:53
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Deadmeat on 26.02.2016 at 23:54

Despite the great reviews i believe Circle was better... Bad Blood and Death Of A King are the best songs IMO...

At first I considered this to be superior to Circle. Now I'd say they're equally worthy of being called Amorphis' best album.
12.03.2016 - 18:23
Swarmofplagues

Amazing album! As good as every song is great and original. Perfect production. Captivating atmospheric sound from keys and song. Great power from guitars and growls, which might be even better than Mikael Åkerfeldt's.
14.04.2016 - 11:36
Sircheesewhistle

Absolutely killer album!.
23.10.2016 - 11:23
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I think that this album is the pinnacle of current Amorphis line-up and it will be very hard to surpass. Under The Red Cloud does not contain a single filler song, sounds both consistent and diverse and provides a great performance from all the musicians.
It's hard to choose any favourite tracks, because all of them are great.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
27.03.2017 - 14:42
yeah1980

Wow! Beautiful album!
----
"Be water, my friend" (Bruce Lee)
29.09.2017 - 06:54
tiny dog ghosts

After two 'eh' albums this is a huge return to form
12.10.2017 - 12:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Another thoughts after listening this, in some way last 2 albums are a bit different Joutsen era albums, and this same, not so heavy as last one but same time same style, diference is not so extreme vocals
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2017 - 15:52
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Bad English on 12.10.2017 at 12:58

Another thoughts after listening this, in some way last 2 albums are a bit different Joutsen era albums, and this same, not so heavy as last one but same time same style, diference is not so extreme vocals

This has a larger amount of "extreme" vocals than other Joutsen albums, and that's not even an opinion.
02.12.2017 - 20:24
FYA
Destroyer
At first - was kind 'meh' for me. But now - holy shit, this is so good.
08.04.2018 - 20:10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
These guys know what they're doing
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
19.05.2019 - 20:26
Redel

Written by skydancer79 on 18.05.2019 at 18:11

Soo average. Soo streamlined. Pretty boring to listen.

Hehe. If you find this one average and streamlined I am curious what you think about Queen of time.
02.03.2022 - 12:21
nonZero

Their best album IMO.

8.9/10 for me - 'Death Of A King' is the standout song. 'Under The Red Cloud', 'Sacrifice' and 'Dark Path' are all also fantastic. 'The Skull' and 'Tree Of Ages' are the weaker songs on this album.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
30.03.2022 - 12:25
gavdann

If they have a better album, I've yet to hear it.

Incredibly melodic, incredibly catchy and incredibly good.

I wish Amorphis were playing their own headline dates here in the UK instead of supporting bloody Nightwish.
13.04.2022 - 23:50
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Such a great album, and by far the best of the later Amorphis albums, and second best only to Tales From The Thousand Lakes imo. It's wonderfully produced, with some of the best songwriting in modern metal. The melodies are fantastic and highly memorable. The songs are structured with such elegance, and wonderfully crafted with such elegance, with nothing out of place. The balance between the harsh, and soft vocals work very well, and are excellently performed, the choruses are

Hard to pick a favourite song but the stand out one's for me are "Dark Path", "Bad Blood", "Under A Red Cloud", and "The Skull", but tbf there are no tracks worth skipping.
14.04.2022 - 10:33
JoHn Doe

8.8/997 votes
I don't get it why this is so high rated, so beloved.
I will give this a second chance, I just don't understand the hype.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
14.04.2022 - 10:46
musclassia

Written by JoHn Doe on 14.04.2022 at 10:33

8.8/997 votes

There's no hidden secret to it; it's a heavy melodic album that's overloaded with fantastic melodies, great vocals and a surprising amount of intensity between the likes of The Four Wise Ones and Dark Path, and it all flows together sumptuously across the songs and the tracklist as a whole. To me, it's the culmination of what they were working towards ever since the current vocalist joined the band, but it's not some kind of avant-garde record that's going to reveal itself over lots of listens, so if you don't like it on first listen you're probably just not going to like it
14.04.2022 - 10:56
JoHn Doe

Written by musclassia on 14.04.2022 at 10:46

8.8/997 votes

There's no hidden secret to it; it's a heavy melodic album that's overloaded with fantastic melodies, great vocals and a surprising amount of intensity between the likes of The Four Wise Ones and Dark Path, and it all flows together sumptuously across the songs and the tracklist as a whole. To me, it's the culmination of what they were working towards ever since the current vocalist joined the band, but it's not some kind of avant-garde record that's going to reveal itself over lots of listens, so if you don't like it on first listen you're probably just not going to like it

I'm still gonna give it a second chance. Let's see what happens.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
16.04.2022 - 18:13
JoHn Doe

Written by JoHn Doe on 14.04.2022 at 10:56

Written by musclassia on 14.04.2022 at 10:46

8.8/997 votes

I'm still gonna give it a second chance. Let's see what happens.

This one is a grower, one of the good albums from Amorphis.
I still think it's overrated here on metalstorm (8.8).
----

Hits total: 53888 | This month: 135