04. The Man Of Sorrows
05. Empire Of The Clouds

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced and mixed by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Engineered by Denis Caribaux.
Mastered by Ade Emsley.

Cover art and photography by Mark Wilkinson, Stuart Crouch, Anthony Dry, Julie Wilkinson, Simon Martin, Jorge Letona and John McMurtrie.

Staff review by
D.T. Metal
Rating:
The cat is out of the bag - Iron Maiden dropped their 16th Studio Album today. Opus - such an overused word, and while other bands affectionately call their latest effort just that, the Brits literally delivered one with The Book Of Souls.

Read more ››
published 04.09.2015 | Comments (61)

Guest review by
tominator
Rating:
After The Final Frontier we had to wait five years for this album. But does The Book Of Souls deliver a great experience?

Read more ››
published 03.01.2017 | Comments (9)

Found in 89 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 177   Visited by: 2037 users
30.08.2015 - 18:32
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Just do not listen to youtube version
30.08.2015 - 19:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hex_Omega on 30.08.2015 at 18:32

Just do not listen to youtube version

YT version if you have good sound sythem can be good if album is not leaked
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.08.2015 - 19:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Risto on 29.08.2015 at 22:31

Not even close, though there's a couple more good songs than on The Final Frontier. And that's also before hearing Empire of the Clouds, which will be interesting...

On the weak side, Tears of a Clown is absolutely atrocious.

he is famous making such statements specially about testament and farts
----

apos;'
[image]
30.08.2015 - 19:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I did tried leaker version on YT well my second leaked album in life
sound was like putting many verisons together , well Bruce voice was weak, some songs were vary good, some not so, I will wait until real version be out , I don't like leaked music but I can not resist this time. Better as previously no doubt
----

apos;'
[image]
30.08.2015 - 20:54
Joe Zombie

Written by Daniell on 29.08.2015 at 21:40

Looks like their best since Brave New World. Possibly even since Seventh Son.

Agreed.
31.08.2015 - 00:44
Rating: 8
Nicko's Nose

Very good album, but it has A LOT of recycled riffs and melodies!
31.08.2015 - 09:47
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Nicko's Nose on 31.08.2015 at 00:44

Very good album, but it has A LOT of recycled riffs and melodies!

"Shadows of the Valley" has the beginning reminiscent of "Wasted Years". When the verse kicks in, it resembles "Fallen Angel". That's the most notable example of recycled riffs. But then, what do you expect? It's their 16th album. It's bound to happen. It happened many times before too. Even very early in their career. Take "Powerslave", and listen to "Losfer Words", "Flash Of The Blade", "The Duellists", and "Back In The Village". If you listen closely, you should be able to connect these 4 songs into 2 pairs...
01.09.2015 - 22:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Listened to the album a couple of times today... damn skippy what a totally lacklustre affair. The band once again proved it should stop recording albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2015 - 05:19
Rating: 9
Papa_Ray

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2015 at 22:37

Listened to the album a couple of times today... damn skippy what a totally lacklustre affair. The band once again proved it should stop recording albums.

That's how I feel about Priest, despite my love for them. In my opinion, Maiden hasn't released a lackluster album since Virtual XI waaayyy back in 1998.
02.09.2015 - 09:41
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Just heard the whole album and I can't believe how stunned I am with how good this is. I think this is a large improvement over The Final Frontier (which wasn't bad), and I think it's one of their best albums yet (controversial opinion I know). It's not only my album of the year, but it's also one of the best I think the band has ever put out. I don't think they can ever top a song like Empire of the Clouds, I mean wow... enough said.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
02.09.2015 - 10:09
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker

It's a mixed bag. I really like first 2 songs but then... Well, its definitely too long and some songs are also too long. As mentioned before 'too many recycled riffs'. The best example is 'Shadows of the Valley'. While listening to 'The Red and the Black' I was like 'no please stop, enough of solos'. So far I prefer last 2 albums over this new one.
02.09.2015 - 10:18
slim pickings
Account deleted
I can't say I'm disappointed simply because I wasn't expecting much (I did not like TFF that much either), but I'm not impressed after a couple of listens. I'm also quite surprised to see people praising this so much.
Empire of the Clouds and the title track are pretty good; I also liked Speed of Light, Tears of a Clown, The Man of Sorrows. As for the rest, it was a painful struggle to listen.
02.09.2015 - 11:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Papa_Ray on 02.09.2015 at 05:19

That's how I feel about Priest, despite my love for them. In my opinion, Maiden hasn't released a lackluster album since Virtual XI waaayyy back in 1998.

Priest redeemer and previus are damn good comparing whit IM

IMO band shoud stop flying and be business mens, go back and be metalheads
----

apos;'
[image]
02.09.2015 - 12:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 02.09.2015 at 11:28

Priest redeemer and previus are damn good comparing whit IM

Uhm, no, Nostradamus and Redeemer Of Souls are ven worse than Iron Maiden's The Final Frontier and this new one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2015 - 15:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.09.2015 at 12:15

Uhm, no, Nostradamus and Redeemer Of Souls are ven worse than Iron Maiden's The Final Frontier and this new one.

N maybe but Souls are OK album, heard it once, pretty heavy and much better as previous maiden
----

apos;'
[image]
03.09.2015 - 23:29
Nicko's Nose

I wish they wouldn't have included Speed of Light, Death Or Glory, Shadows Of The Valley and Tears Of A Clown. The album would be a lot better without those songs.
04.09.2015 - 01:47
Rating: 7
iMorphball

I figured I'd wait for this to be available to rate before I commented.

There is not a single track that I skip on this album, and as a cohesive whole, this album kicks major ass. It's definitely a more 'mature' (I guess?) Maiden than the 80s stuff, but I've really been loving their releases since BNW. Final Frontier definitely was a little lacklustre, but this one has better song writing in general and the songs remain interesting despite their length.

Also, I don't get how anyone could say that Bruce's vocals are weak. He sounds really great on this record, ESPECIALLY on the title track, where he just completely dominates.

The best part about this album is that I can just imagine how great it'll be when performed live. So many anthem-y and solid melodies to be found here, it's great.
04.09.2015 - 06:13
Rating: 10
smarc78

What a classic!
From the get go to the end pure Heavy metal, pure Iron Maiden. One classic song after another. Everything that heavy metal is about and Iron Maiden is about on one double CD.
With so many choices and band exploring lefts and rights Iron Maiden stay true to their roots, origins and rock thru the motives, rhythms like those mythical vessels they sing about.
Iron Maiden has created another classic! Great efforts and great album!!!
----
myspace.com/eventually3
04.09.2015 - 09:48
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 04.09.2015 at 04:16

One of the best albums I've ever heard. Great masterpiece.

Written by smarc78 on 04.09.2015 at 06:13

What a classic!
From the get go to the end pure Heavy metal, pure Iron Maiden. One classic song after another.

Oh really?
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Iron_Maiden/The_Book_of_Souls/517686/Zodijackyl/113957
Haha no, its not my review. For me this album hm... so far 7, maybe 7 and a half. A controversial one.
04.09.2015 - 10:55
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by deadone on 04.09.2015 at 10:03

I suspect the truth might lie somewhere in between. Haven't heard it yet (got it but no CD player at work) but from that one song it doesn't sound mind blowing but doesn't sound exactly great either.

In any case I'm hoping on an improvement over Final Frontier and even A Matter Of Life And Death.

So far it sounds like a mix of Dance Of Death, Matter Of Life And Death and Final Frontier.
2nd disk is better. 1st seems to just plod along.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.09.2015 - 11:54
Mariocalin

CD1 is really good. CD2 is not as good as cd1 but its fun.
----
We are the priest of the temple of Synix
04.09.2015 - 12:55
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Very pleasant surprise, after previous three albums were, at least for me, not so great. Not bad, but not great either. This came as a surprise, especially after "Speed of Light" didn't show that much promise, but the album in full is probably their best since "Brave New World".

Oh and I loved not-so-subtle tributes, or ripoffs if you like it like that, of old Maiden songs in the new ones. It was great, fun and sounds interesting.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
04.09.2015 - 15:06
Dedcalm
Account deleted
I'm listening to it now and i think its fantastic. To be honest i think speed of light was very misleading as to the rest of the album.
Its the weakest song on here so far.
I'll be honest the last I.M. album i liked was Brave New World and i truly hated Final Frontier.
This seems like a great return to form.
I'm one very happy and relieved Maiden fan.
04.09.2015 - 15:39
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Released today, been listening to it on Spotify. Well, first of all it's a loooooong album, filled mostly with epic riffs and mid tempo structures. The faster songs are actually the less interesting stuff here. Not that they're bad songs, not at all, it's just that they're typical Maiden songs, so there are no surprises here. Cool "short" straight to point songs like Speed of Light and When the River Runs Deep (one of my favs!) are awesome but you know what to expect.

The somewhat surprises are the epic arrangements in the fantastic song Empire of the Clouds where Maiden uses some slight orchestrations giving the song extraordinary momentum, being similar but better imo to Where the Wild Wind Blows from the previous record.
The title song is also an epic with great riffs one after the other.
If Eternity Should Fail is a strange experimental song which sets a depressive and intriguing mood to it.

As for letdowns, The Red and the Black is Blaze-era all over. It drags forever the same boring riffs.
The Man of Sorrows in an average quality ballad which lacks feeling.
Tears of a Clown is good but sounds a bit lazy.

This album is far more emotional, epic and "organic" than The Final Frontier which suffered from the lack of memorable songs. The Book of Souls has them and i really hope Maiden picks a few of these songs for the upcoming tours. Empire of the Clouds would be risky since it has the modest length of 18 minutes, but i think it would work very well live. All in all, this is just a first review based on 3 spins. As with all Maiden albums some things might differ a bit in the future.

8/10
04.09.2015 - 16:09
Some Guy

A fucking masterpiece this is!

It takes a piece of something from every era of Iron Maiden. I do wish they had done more of those melodic twin guitar attacks like from Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son era, but still just an incredible album.
04.09.2015 - 16:14
nefredil

Crossed almost 60 percent of the album now, and aside from borring Speed of Light, the albums is fantastic!
----
First rule of making alliance with the Devil? Don't do it.
04.09.2015 - 18:45
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 04.09.2015 at 10:27

Even guitar solos are off on most songs.

Yes, guitar solos on Final Frontier are way better. Btw that review on MA has just been removed. Admin is a fan of Iron Maiden
04.09.2015 - 18:50
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Umm, I must have different ears than some of you because this album rocks. Such solid music. I like this better than Brave New World.
04.09.2015 - 19:24
Ellinor

Great songs: If eternity should fail, the red and the black, empire of the clouds.

OK songs: speed of light, the book of souls, tears of the clown

Rest is pretty much boring.

All in all, best album since Brave New World and probably among best 5 albums in their discography. A bit too long, even great songs have tiresome parts. TRATB is already a classic IMHO. My expectations have been met. Looking forward to the tour. Up the Irons.
04.09.2015 - 19:29
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 04.09.2015 at 19:26

THIS HAS TO BE #1 TOP 2015.

Oh, it will, deserving or not.
It's Iron Maiden after all...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei

Hits total: 41877 | This month: 68