04. The Man Of Sorrows
05. Empire Of The Clouds

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced and mixed by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Engineered by Denis Caribaux.
Mastered by Ade Emsley.

Cover art and photography by Mark Wilkinson, Stuart Crouch, Anthony Dry, Julie Wilkinson, Simon Martin, Jorge Letona and John McMurtrie.

Staff review by
D.T. Metal
Rating:
The cat is out of the bag - Iron Maiden dropped their 16th Studio Album today. Opus - such an overused word, and while other bands affectionately call their latest effort just that, the Brits literally delivered one with The Book Of Souls.

Read more ››
published 04.09.2015 | Comments (61)

Guest review by
tominator
Rating:
After The Final Frontier we had to wait five years for this album. But does The Book Of Souls deliver a great experience?

Read more ››
published 03.01.2017 | Comments (9)

Found in 89 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 6

Comments: 177   Visited by: 2037 users
07.09.2015 - 00:59
Rating: 9
rps

The intricacies, the melodies, the rhythms, the galloping beat, the off the wall solos...it's all there plus the quieter side of IM.

The thing with some people here who say it sucks, etc, need to get their heads out there asses so they can hear the music. Don't be as stupid to compare IM of the 80's (IM I grew up on) to IM of 90's, 00's or of now.

These guys are approaching their 60's (Nicko is 61). You don't respect their music, then don't listen to it! Some of us would love to stay in the past, but you too will find this is not possible. Thanks Maiden for keep putting out quality music, for all these decades. Nice to see Bruce do his piano work on a IM album.

Others say certain part of songs sound like certain parts of other songs. What is it supposed to sound like Judas Priest? Of course IM is going to sound like IM. (Gotta love similarity of Moonchild intro in WTRRD intro). Still things change.

Some years from now when people look back to that old IM TBOS album of 2015, they will marvel at the genius behind it.

"Is this the last together maybe this time now
We stand together and we're holding the line here
There's nothing we can do just sit here and wait
The die is cast that is deciding our fate"
07.09.2015 - 02:29
rps

Written by iMorphball on 04.09.2015 at 01:47

I figured I'd wait for this to be available to rate before I commented.

There is not a single track that I skip on this album, and as a cohesive whole, this album kicks major ass. It's definitely a more 'mature' (I guess?) Maiden than the 80s stuff, but I've really been loving their releases since BNW. Final Frontier definitely was a little lacklustre, but this one has better song writing in general and the songs remain interesting despite their length.

Also, I don't get how anyone could say that Bruce's vocals are weak. He sounds really great on this record, ESPECIALLY on the title track, where he just completely dominates.

The best part about this album is that I can just imagine how great it'll be when performed live. So many anthem-y and solid melodies to be found here, it's great.

Yes more mature. I had to let it sink in too, before rating it. Once it did, wow! Yes, Bruce sounds fine @ 57.
07.09.2015 - 03:18
rps

Guitar solos.....(why they don't put on sleeves anymore?).

http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/guitar-solos-the-book-of-souls.32374/
07.09.2015 - 04:59
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by TheBeast666 on 06.09.2015 at 18:37

What's wrong with Iron Maiden they ran the force that does not sound like metal ... except only 4 songs, the rest are boring

Naaaaaa Why vote with 9/10 ? I can not understand.

Because it says "Iron Maiden" on it. =/
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
07.09.2015 - 15:27
Rating: 7
iMorphball

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 07.09.2015 at 04:59

What's wrong with Iron Maiden they ran the force that does not sound like metal ... except only 4 songs, the rest are boring

Naaaaaa Why vote with 9/10 ? I can not understand.

07.09.2015 - 15:51
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 07.09.2015 at 04:59

Why vote with 9/10 ? I can not understand.

Nailed it
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.09.2015 - 16:30
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Aah, and it begins... the wave of people giving a 1 to the new Amorphis album and then immediately giving the new Maiden a 10. <3 you MS.
----
07.09.2015 - 19:55
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 07.09.2015 at 16:30

Aah, and it begins... the wave of people giving a 1 to the new Amorphis album and then immediately giving the new Maiden a 10. <3 you MS.

Of all the 10s, 9s and 8s I have seen are Iron Maiden fanboys. So no big fucking deal.

It gonna happen with Slayer too. Just wait and watch.

Real assessment lies in 6-7 rating where you see castigation will be at its highest level. There you have fun where posters spits out real analysis of record(until you have marvelous record when average ratings goes up to 9).
07.09.2015 - 21:02
Rating: 8
Nicko's Nose

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.09.2015 at 19:55

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 07.09.2015 at 16:30

Of all the 10s, 9s and 8s I have seen are Iron Maiden fanboys. So no big fucking deal.

Real assessment lies in 6-7 rating where you see castigation will be at its highest level. There you have fun where posters spits out real analysis of record(until you have marvelous record when average ratings goes up to 9).

Yeah because there's no way some of the people who gave the album a rating above 7 genuinely enjoyed the album, they have to be fanboys.
07.09.2015 - 21:14
Rating: 6
Risto
Wandering Midget
So, Empire of the Clouds has Morse code in it. Now I get it's more of a metal opera, but some of it is still a bit baffling even from this point of view.
07.09.2015 - 21:19
Nicko's Nose

Written by Risto on 07.09.2015 at 21:14

So, Empire of the Clouds has Morse code in it.

What part?
07.09.2015 - 21:27
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Nicko's Nose on 07.09.2015 at 21:19

What part?

S.O.S. at 6:57
07.09.2015 - 22:49
Sword_Chant

Listened to the whole thing once, hasn't really done that much for me. I got on much better with the new Amorphis album.
07.09.2015 - 23:48
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by rps on 07.09.2015 at 00:59

Don't be as stupid to compare IM of the 80's (IM I grew up on) to IM of 90's, 00's or of now.

Why not? How is it stupid to draw a comparison between what a band does now opposed to what they did before? Not just Iron Maiden. Any band. Albums are released in a context. That context is important. Context is what differentiates a ground-breaking, boundary-pushing album from a release that delivers less than its predecessors. Why make an exception for Iron Maiden? This is just butthurt fan failed rhetoric.
07.09.2015 - 23:51
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Ilham on 07.09.2015 at 23:48

Written by rps on 07.09.2015 at 00:59

Don't be as stupid to compare IM of the 80's (IM I grew up on) to IM of 90's, 00's or of now.

Why not? How is it stupid to draw a comparison between what a band does now opposed to what they did before? Not just Iron Maiden. Any band. Albums are released in a context. That context is important. Context is what differentiates a ground-breaking, boundary-pushing album from an album that delivers less than its predecessors. Why make an exception for Iron Maiden? This is just butthurt fan failed rhetoric.

I would have to agree with Ilham, except for the ''butthurt fan failed rhetoric'' sentance, that's rude.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.09.2015 - 00:52
Nicko's Nose

Remove The Fallen Angel's Wasted Years and I'd probably give the album a 9.
08.09.2015 - 02:19
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by deadone on 08.09.2015 at 02:17

Rude but true. Fanboys get butthurt as soon as someone says something negative about the thing they have a hardon for.

I've never understood blind fanboism. But one sees it in all spectrums of society be it politics, religion, cars, music, movies, trout fishing, etc etc.

I guess it's just human to be a blind fanatic.

Oh and I'm an Iron Maiden fan before I get accused of being a hater. But I really can't say this album or the last 2 preceding it were great albums. They had enjoyable moments but also many meh or even crap moments.

The band seems to be slipping into some of the bad habits it formed during the Blaze era - overlong song writing, gutless rythm guitar and uninspired song writing.

Yes well, Fanboys ARE annoying, but still... insulting people just makes things worse usually and I agree last two albums were mediocre which is why I'm scared of even checkin' this one out... I've had my share of Iron Maiden disappointment in the past years.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.09.2015 - 02:26
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by deadone on 08.09.2015 at 02:23

Written by Guib on 08.09.2015 at 02:19

Yes well, Fanboys ARE annoying, but still... insulting people just makes things worse usually and I agree last two albums were mediocre which is why I'm scared of even checkin' this one out... I've had my share of Iron Maiden disappointment in the past years.

Mind you the mindless fanboys can get insulting - e.g. look at that fanboy on the Nile review.

As for this album, check it out. I'm not disappointed with it - I was expecting another Final Frontier and this one is slightly better for the most part. If anything my only disappointment is that I was right about their continued path along the current direction.

Oh I will check it for sure, when I'm done with Meliora and Under The Red Cloud. And it can't be worse than Final Frontier XD anyways. Also I've seen that guy in the Nile new album thread... wtf is this guy on O.O
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.09.2015 - 17:12
Xylem

Maiden are still delivering those delicious melodies and that big, operatic feel, and the solos are lovely, as always. I think overall this is definitely an improvement over the Final Frontier; with that being said, it still suffers from the two main pitfalls found on the latest few albums; those being some bloated song lengths and inconsistent quality. Sometimes those inconsistencies are found within individual songs (such as 'The Red and the Black,' which starts with a rather uninspired intro, with the riff partially ripped straight out of Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but then goes into a section with an excellent bass rhythm and well suited vocal melody). Still, it's a solid album. I think, considering this is a band that has already released 15 albums of (generally) excellent material, they should be applauded for even managing to stay this relevant; and despite the reputation that precedes them, it's probably unfair to expect anything more at this stage in their career. So good on them, I look forward to maybe catching them on the upcoming world tour.
08.09.2015 - 21:19
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Finished with my 4th spin of new Iron Maiden.

This sounds like a farewell record in a very emotional way to fans of Maiden and Eddie. Gone all across the lyrics and it seems they will be closing the book of "Iron Maiden".

Nothing fantastic could be found in new disc as it's typical "Maiden solos" to be enriched throughout songs. "Empire Of The Clouds" is genuinely amazing closer of the disc and I don't think they could have done it better in any way. Other than that, "The Red And The Black" is very good track too. But, overall impression is still dull and unoriginal.
09.09.2015 - 00:09
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.09.2015 at 19:55

I'm not sure about all that, I just know that it's pretty f*cking stupid to rate a bunch of albums 1 just to boost the album you like up some meaningless chart. Would be nice to see MS staff start handing out bans for it, but I doubt that will happen seeing as this has been an issue on MS for a long time.
----
09.09.2015 - 00:15
Zap
BitterCOld has been nuking people for years. It's an inevitability on any rating site though.
09.09.2015 - 06:36
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 09.09.2015 at 00:09

I'm not sure about all that, I just know that it's pretty f*cking stupid to rate a bunch of albums 1 just to boost the album you like up some meaningless chart. Would be nice to see MS staff start handing out bans for it, but I doubt that will happen seeing as this has been an issue on MS for a long time.

Zaphod answered your query perfectly.

Anyhow, this wasn't the issue in the first place.
11.09.2015 - 18:40
stormlord77

After listening to the new album I have to say that it really made me think that they still got it. The only reason that I did not rate it with a full 10 is because of the song "Tears of a clown" , I think that it is the flaw of this masterpiece. KEEP UP THE IRONS!!!
11.09.2015 - 20:03
Nicko's Nose

2 new 1 ratings from people who have probably never even listened to the album. 1 gave the new Amorphis a 10, what a surprise...
11.09.2015 - 23:10
SlapTap

Everybody complaining about morse code should remember that Rush's famous YYZ riff is morse code.
12.09.2015 - 00:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
After spinning it like 2 days and btw I and II in other day. I see they could make one good album, its not bad some songs are good, some lyrics to, we all want hear as 80's maiden, wont happen, but as metal album, ,many bands will make weaker, but I don't get whats wrong here music or lyrics? maybe Bruce airplane business ? anyway don't judge this listen 5 times and then judge
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.09.2015 - 12:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I still think the 2nd disc is better than the 1st. Probably give 6 for disc 1, 7 for disc 2. And 8 for Empire Of The Clouds.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.09.2015 - 12:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, I also prefer the second disc. I actually really like every song on the album except for "Speed of Light" which I find way to boring.
----
13.09.2015 - 18:01
Nicko's Nose

Another 1 rating from someone who didn't listen to the album.

Hits total: 41882 | This month: 73