Metal Storm logo
Progressive Metal Bands for People Who Hate Prog

Original post

Posted by Ganondox, 27.08.2015 - 14:13
Not saying that you'll hate them if you love prog, but these are bands that don't take themselves too seriously and frequently avoid prog cliches that turn people away from the genre like overly long, unstructured songs with pretencious lyrics. Basically any band that can keep a good fun rock n' roll attitude. For example:

Prog Bands for People who love Prog:
Dream Theater
Rush
Ne Obliviscaris
Aryeon
Opeth
Between the Buried and Me

Prog Bands for People who hate Prog:
Devin Townsend Band
Porcupine Tree
Toe Hider
Coheed and Cambira
Mastodon (post-Crack the Skye)
Tarby

I gave some non-metal bands in the list, but I'm looking more for metal bands, not just neo-prog bands with some metal influence. Many bands like Tool or Savatage I'm not quite sure if the belong in this category, so I'd also like some thoughts on those. If you personally hate prog but like some bands labled as progressive, feel free to share them.
28.09.2015 - 10:22
Ganondox

Written by Karlabos on 26.09.2015 at 20:51

Written by Ganondox on 26.09.2015 at 20:15

Any songs you think well shows their (Subterranean masquerade) song oriented nature?

Basically the album Suspended Animation Dreams. Their newer album is indeed more proggy on the classical style (wankery). And if you searched on YT for random songs you probably just found songs of the last album =p

It actually was a song from that album I found, "Wolves Among Sheep". I guess the thing I'm finding "wrong" isn't that it isn't song oriented, but I'm not sure if they have anything upbeat or catchy or energetic enough or something for non-prog fans, they're pretty somber and laid back, which combined with the longish song length doesn't go down easy for most people. Anyway, I rather the song you just linked, more than "Wolves Among Sheep", but I'm not sure how much non-prog fan friendly it is. I guess I'll wait for another person's opinion on them before I approve it for the list.

EDIT: I notice Apothecary's recommendation for them, but I'd like a recommendation for them from someone who isn't into traditional progressive rock either. There are turn offs of modern prog metal trends that turn off traditional prog fans, but there are also things about traditional prog which are turnoffs to non-prog fans. Pink Floyd is probably the line if there is one. I guess my standard could be Pink Floyd; if it's more accessible than Pink Floyd (at least for metal fans), but it's still definitely progressive, it passes the basic litmus test for a "Progressive Metal Bands for People Who Hate Prog".
30.09.2015 - 20:54
Ganondox

Written by Risto on 27.08.2015 at 16:53

Time to promote the uprising of our local prog metal scene, as there are several bands who meet your criteria.

Anthriel (progressive/power)
Cønstantine (progressive/heavy), Resign Due
Pressure Points (progressive/death), False Lights
Nerve End (progressive/industrial)
Skein (metalcore/progressive)

Pressure Points songs are long but relatively coherent in terms of prog.

Cønstantine, Nerve End, and I guess maybe Skein (was the metalcore before the progressive intentional) are approved. (When I saw the progressive/industrial label for Nerve End I was expecting it to be more like Tarby and less like Devin Townsend though). With Athriel, it technically fits the description, but it made me realize that all the bands I initially listed were on the alternative side of progressive metal/rock, while Athriel is basically like power metal, only technically progressive metal. While I figure most of the other suggestions at least fit well enough with the others, Athriel doesn't IMO. As for Pressure Points, while they are far from tech-wank-al death metal, I don't find them to be any less proggy than Opeth, but then again many people said I categorized Opeth wrong, so maybe I just can't classify progressive death-ish metal bands.
30.09.2015 - 22:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Opethian on 30.08.2015 at 23:12

Is Devin Townsend playing Prog nowadays ...

If you are getting into his Solo material, then i would highly recommend 'Accelerated Evolution'. Dude shines on that album.

He has been doing prog for a long time. Accelerated Evolution got regular radio play when I was a DJ more than a decade ago with a show dedicated to nothing but prog music.
----
(space for rent)
30.09.2015 - 22:23
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Ganondox on 30.09.2015 at 20:54

Skein (was the metalcore before the progressive intentional)

Yeah, it was Even though they have some proggy bits I find that album to have more "post" than "prog". I've seen them being labeled post-hardcore as well, a more atmospheric kind of blend.
30.09.2015 - 23:10
Ganondox

Written by Risto on 30.09.2015 at 22:23

Written by Ganondox on 30.09.2015 at 20:54

Skein (was the metalcore before the progressive intentional)

Yeah, it was Even though they have some proggy bits I find that album to have more "post" than "prog". I've seen them being labeled post-hardcore as well, a more atmospheric kind of blend.

I can hear all that. I figure there song structures are progressive (though straightford) as well as having proggy bits based on the two songs I heard. I'm iffy on it because it's not quite as much progressive metal and it's less accessible form of metalcore, but I'm leaning towards including them in the list right now.
30.09.2015 - 23:51
Risto
Wandering Midget
Amorphis definitely belong here. Tales is on the fence, but after that there's plenty of stuff that fits.
01.10.2015 - 00:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ganondox on 28.09.2015 at 10:22

I'd like a recommendation for them from someone who isn't into traditional progressive rock either.

me ^.^"

loljk, if you decide not to put them it's ok, it's your list. I'm glad you agree about Kekal and Dreadnought.
Curious to see the list
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.10.2015 - 12:36
Ganondox

Written by Risto on 30.09.2015 at 23:51

Amorphis definitely belong here. Tales is on the fence, but after that there's plenty of stuff that fits.

Don't know Tales, but from there later stuff I know that yes, Amorphis definately fits.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.08.2015 at 03:04
but I would also suggest Atomic Ape, Hail Spirit Noir, and Los Random as well. And hell, even modern Enslaved can get into some good Pink Floyd worship at points too, which is always fun if it doesn't feel like TOO much of an emulation (which with them it doesn't).

Enslaved is the only one of these I'll add to my list. Atomic Ape might work, but they aren't even metal and for the actual list I want metal. Hail Spirit Noir has similar problems with Subterranean Masquerade, and Los Random just lives up to their name too much.

Written by Doge of Venice on 31.08.2015 at 07:58

You could argue Dev still writes prog - he writes pop metal like no other, pushing and merging the boundaries, and he also just wrote a sci-fi metal musical, which was pretty progressive. I mean, hes definitely progressive in his writing - he has released many different kinds of albums recently, but the songs themselges may not be 'progressive'.

I would say Bend the Sky. Its symphonic prog that is heavily djenty... But its instrumental! So no worrying about hideous vocals. Keyboards ooze with atmosphere and mood building.

I would also say Omb, but i can barely understand how their songs flow that i think most people would just think its a mess.

I dunno, is the OP talking about the genre that is labelled Prog or is he talking about actual progressive music? Stuff that expands and explores and doesnt stick to the now fairly standard prog formula?

Just having vocals makes a band MUCH more accessible, even if they are whiny screams, so I'm not going to include any instrumental bands.

I actually agree with you on Omb. They are kinda crazy, but they actually pretty catchy as well. Their randomness makes them fun rather than bewildering, so I approve them for the list.

Written by BloodTears on 01.09.2015 at 20:29

When I think about this, I immediately think of Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Green Carnation. So, I would recommend that. Those are also three of my favourite bands and I'm a prog fangirl.

So, I'm probably not the best person to answer that.

The best question is why would people hate prog?

None of these bands are primarily metal, but they all do metal frequently enough for them to qualify. Riverside is approved, Porcupine Tree was already there. Green Carnation probably works, but I need some examples: I've heard a few songs by them and loved them all, but they were all either non-metal, or extremely proggy. I think they also vary quite a bit from album to album. Any examples of a specific album of theirs that fits?

As for why would anyone hate prog, well, ask the 70s punks. My brother is big fan of punk rock, and while he is a big fan of experimental music in general, he HATES prog. He's okay with neo-prog though, and he is a fan of Mars Volta (though I think he might prefer At the Drive In). He also likes Krautrock. I know he's at least okay with Tarby, Coheed and Cambria, and Porcupine Tree, which is probably the main motivation behind my list. While he's not a fan of them, he also says that King Crimson is conceptually the type of prog he approves of, mainly because they started the whole thing before it developed it's cliches.
05.10.2015 - 00:34
Ganondox

Written by Lethrokai on 02.09.2015 at 00:11

Ok, yup, finally came up with the best one I could think of.

BENT KNEE

These guys are still an absolute underrated gem of a band in my eyes. Art rock with a progressive twist of lemon and who also know how and when to hit the heavy lines.
They also have such a good chemistry as a band.

EDIT: Also worth noting that, yes, I did put live videos up as a demonstration of this band. Their live studio recordings are phenomenal.

Other than the fact they fail to meet be metal enough (unless they have some songs at least as metal as the heavier stuff by Porcupine Tree), they would work. Speaking of alternative prog bands that often get heavy, but not really metal, you know of Seventh Epic?

Written by tea[m]ster on 02.09.2015 at 01:55

I don't hate prog, but for those that do...

Blindead

Thank me later.

Blindead is approved for the list.

Written by trattorino2 on 23.09.2015 at 10:24

I think of Kingcrow and Porcupine Tree , both focused more on songwriting than on showning off chops. I mean a song like this could appeal to every rock fan in general:

Kingcrow is approved for the list, now I need to actually make it.
16.10.2015 - 01:51
Ganondox

Okay, I have a list now: http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=4371

Decided to go with Subterranean Masquerade and not Skein after all/
05.04.2017 - 14:09
I think Voyager would be a very accessible band for people who dislike prog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doi60r3pniA
06.04.2017 - 02:51
Winter Heathen

You might also try Witherfall. They're a heavier Power Metal band with many elements of Progressive Metal.

Also Xerath. They're pretty cool, though they did just break up recently.
----
Power metal incarnate.
06.04.2017 - 11:56
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Winter Heathen on 06.04.2017 at 02:51

Also Xerath. They're pretty cool.

I never found Xerath to be even close to "progressive". They're simply a symphonic metal band with groovy elements in.
06.04.2017 - 14:21
tominator
At best deranged
I'd say another good one would be Darkwater. They made 2 very good albums.
06.04.2017 - 20:30
Winter Heathen

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.04.2017 at 11:56

I never found Xerath to be even close to "progressive". They're simply a symphonic metal band with groovy elements in.

They've got progressive elements. "2053" is a good example of their Progressive roots. From what I've read, they're progressive, with elements of symphonic metal thrown in.

EDIT: Would Skyharbor be Progressive Metal?
----
Power metal incarnate.
07.04.2017 - 09:19
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Winter Heathen on 06.04.2017 at 20:30

From what I've read, they're progressive...

Where you read?!

I can agree upon having some parts in songs which could have "prog" elements in but it doesn't mean Xerath would be recommended as "prog" band.

Quote:
EDIT: Would Skyharbor be Progressive Metal?

Yeah they're progressive with space-y elements in.
07.04.2017 - 13:25
We can add OSI to the list!
07.04.2017 - 13:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If ppl hates prog they hate there can be some band,s one or two what they like as bands , not whole genre, I mean prog metal not prog as pre genre tag to other genre.
To me Fates Warning and Psychotic Waltz, Rush maybe few others, otherwise whole genre is just pop music bullshit
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.04.2017 - 15:01
tominator
At best deranged
Fractal Cypher though they've only brought out one album so far, but damn it's a good one! I personally think they are an accessible band whether you like prog metal or not.

11.04.2017 - 00:50
Jonjy

Death with drums-bass touch of prog:
http://www.facebook.com/caelesteus
18.04.2017 - 05:24
Ganondox

They're considered progressive because they are djenty riffs, though they don't really have progressive structures at all. Calling them symphonic metal is just as misleading as calling them progressive metal.
18.04.2017 - 05:30
Ganondox

Written by Winter Heathen on 06.04.2017 at 20:30

[ Would Skyharbor be Progressive Metal?

Definitely, but they're very proggy, not for people who hate prog. Great band though.
18.04.2017 - 08:24
Ganondox

Voyager, Darkwater, and OSI approved, maybe I'll add them to the list eventually.
20.06.2017 - 19:08
Frosst

A band that fits the "People who love prog"-list: Genesis (Now obviously this is not metal but prog-rock, however it's still good).
----
Favourite bands:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836793/

Favourite artists:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836309/
30.08.2017 - 09:48
soltar777

Written by progmetalfanuk on 05.04.2017 at 14:09

I think Voyager would be a very accessible band for people who dislike prog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doi60r3pniA

I've never heard of em, gonna check em out though!!
01.09.2017 - 17:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Frosst on 20.06.2017 at 19:08

A band that fits the "People who love prog"-list: Genesis (Now obviously this is not metal but prog-rock, however it's still good).

Genesis, well prog rock % is more listenable as prog metal, because prog metal often we can question if there must be metal in their sound, because it don't sounds as metal more MTV pop music to me.
----

apos;'
[image]
07.03.2019 - 20:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I usually hate PM , I did it in a past, maybe bands like fates warning, some old bands few, but in last time digging in MA; I dug up few old late 80's mid 90's bands (as that in example) what plays good PM. I might change my mind and no I never will liie dream theater or riverside, such bands, but good underground, old school prog bands are good. I will look deeper

----

apos;'
[image]
25.01.2020 - 12:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Lord Bane
Sounds good to me

----

apos;'
[image]
03.03.2020 - 19:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just found out that guitarist Justin Frear died he plaid in Ultimatum and also in BlindSeven, so I decide check out that band, just for fun and well its good prog actually

----

apos;'
[image]
06.03.2020 - 05:47
If you like ayreon, you should check Star One, arjens other prog project.