05. When The River Runs Deep
06. The Book Of Souls

Disc II
01. Death Or Glory
02. Shadows Of The Valley
03. Tears Of A Clown
04. The Man Of Sorrows
05. Empire Of The Clouds

The cat is out of the bag - Iron Maiden dropped their 16th Studio Album today. Opus - such an overused word, and while other bands affectionately call their latest effort just that, the Brits literally delivered one with The Book Of Souls.

I don't care if you are a fan of the band or just call yourself a regular metalhead, there is no way one can make a judgement with just one listen on what Iron Maiden just hurled at us. With a running time of over 92-minutes this, first in their discography, double album is not a sprint to the finish line but rather a marathon with highs and (some) lows.

After the (in my opinion overall rather disappointing) The Final Frontier it took five long years for Iron Maiden to take another stab at (re)earning the right to hold the heavy metal scepter high. If they did or not will be in the eye of the beholder, but one thing is for sure, The Book Of Souls will go down in history as the 'Most Anticipated Album Of 2015' and I bet will top tons 'Best Of 2015' lists.

No doubt, the 'elitists' will try to compare the album to their back catalogue, but let's be honest here, there will never be another The Number Of The Beast, Powerslave or Seventh Son ? for that matter, those times are gone. Take it or leave it, but, at least for me, Iron Maiden proved with The Book Of Souls that they still have what it takes without sounding stagnant.

While "If Eternity Should Fail" was originally written by Bruce for a new solo album, it makes for a great opener and although it doesn't hint on the direction of The Book Of Souls, it intrigues with a rather catchy chorus. A nice mid-tempo start before going into the somewhat 'meat' with "Speed Of Light"; also released as the first single. Would the album deserve to go into details about each and every song on it? Yes, but this would make for a very long read. We all know the guys in Iron Maiden can play their instruments and Bruce can sing; no need to nitpick about how they do this on here. Rest assured, the trademark galloping sound with rotating guitar solos and crushing bass lines ARE present, and Bruce has not lost his ability to 'break glass' when called for.

Granted, some songs are überlong, but I don't hold this against them. In the past, people were bitching about Harris's writing style but since the new album has compositions from not mainly him (and Adrian Smith), it has a somewhat mishmash of styles; progressive at times, but also familiar at others. Hence, "The Red And The Black"; an over 13 minute titan where everyone goes to work during the solo sections and the first "ohohohohoh, ohohohohoh" sing-along presents itself 2 minutes in. Can't wait to hear this one live!

Disc 1 ends with the title track and while the song does drag on after a while, it does showcase Bruce in all his (vocal) glory and despite the fact that some of the riffs, chorus, solos do remind me of older Iron Maiden material, it is by far not the strongest piece on the album. And here I am actually glad that they decided to add another disc to The Book Of Souls since otherwise it would have gone down as a half-assed attempt to sway the critics.

On part two of the album, Iron Maiden dug deep into their 'souls' and delivered a diverse assortment of 'ear-candy'. With "Death Or Glory", one of the few shorter songs on the album, the band continues full steam ahead; fast, fun, maybe a bit on the modern side? While "Shadows Of The Valley" seems like recycled material from years past, I really dig it; old habits don't die I guess. And the slower paced "Tears Of A Clown", a homage to the late Robin Williams, did grow on me and my verdict for the ballad'ish "The Man Of Sorrows" is ? well, the song is ok, but the album closer is what grabbed my interest even after the first listen.

"Empire Of The Clouds", a massive 18 minute long musical journey, not only is (now) the longest song in Iron Maiden's history, it also showcases Bruce Dickinson talent on the piano. Don't dismiss this song due to its lengths; give it a couple chances and you will discover on just how awesome and dare I say epic, this song really is.

So, did Iron Maiden deliver a masterpiece with The Book Of Souls? Hard to tell. There is so much going on in the album and the opinions will vastly differ. I for one am glad that the band did not throw in the towel and rest on their laurels, but rather show the world, and maybe themselves, that there is still plenty of Iron Maiden spirit present for years to come.

Long live Eddie!

Written on 04.09.2015 by Former boss lady. Now just a professional concertgoer... dangerously armed with a camera!

Guest review by
tominator
Rating:
After The Final Frontier we had to wait five years for this album. But does The Book Of Souls deliver a great experience?

Read more ››
published 03.01.2017 | Comments (9)

Comments

Comments: 61   Visited by: 992 users
04.09.2015 - 22:33
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
Today i went to the shop, and i saw that the normal edition contains one cd, but it is just the book edition that has the double cd, quite more expensive. My curiosity is that both has the same songs and length
I just listened the first cd a couple of times, my god The Red And The Black es un temazo! tremendous song, neither can wait to hear it in live!! will be epic.

Up the Irons
04.09.2015 - 22:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
In some way this Bruce solo pisses me of we cant find any decent infom is he on hiatus, active and so on, he should more update his solo
I agree some songs are uberlong but ancient mariner was 13 min, and was to long as well, somehow such type of metal ok 6-8min is ok, over 10 let the doomsters doom.
I agree there wont be anymore classics unless they had done secret album and it will be out as new
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.09.2015 - 22:55
D.T. Metal
Staff
Written by Vikcen on 04.09.2015 at 22:33

Today i went to the shop, and i saw that the normal edition contains one cd, but it is just the book edition that has the double cd, quite more expensive. My curiosity is that both has the same songs and length
I just listened the first cd a couple of times, my god The Red And The Black es un temazo! tremendous song, neither can wait to hear it in live!! will be epic.

Up the Irons

the 'normal' edition of the CD IS a double CD; there shouldn't be a 'book version' which contains both. The deluxe version has additional material, but the regular version should be both CD's.
Very weird.
04.09.2015 - 23:20
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by D.T. Metal on 04.09.2015 at 22:55

Written by Vikcen on 04.09.2015 at 22:33

Up the Irons

the 'normal' edition of the CD IS a double CD; there shouldn't be a 'book version' which contains both. The deluxe version has additional material, but the regular version should be both CD's.
Very weird.

That is the version i have (which is a book), that contains the double CD. But also i saw another 'no digipack' version, with just one cd =), less expensive. And both versions, with the same songs and length.
04.09.2015 - 23:28
D.T. Metal
Staff
Written by Vikcen on 04.09.2015 at 23:20

That is the version i have (which is a book), that contains the double CD. But also i saw another 'no digipack' version, with just one cd =), less expensive. And both versions, with the same songs and length.

you have the 'deluxe' version with the bound book; and the 'no digipack' version which is less expensive just doesn't have the book with it. The music is the same
04.09.2015 - 23:34
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by D.T. Metal on 04.09.2015 at 23:28

Written by Vikcen on 04.09.2015 at 23:20

you have the 'deluxe' version with the bound book; and the 'no digipack' version which is less expensive just doesn't have the book with it. The music is the same

I would swear that the regular edition i saw contains just one CD...but now I have doubts, yes maybe i'm wrong... :
05.09.2015 - 07:21
Malignar
Adrian was the lone rocker in the group and I was hoping his non Steve Harris side would kick in more. But after reading Deadone's review I'm concerned. I will listen more and report back.

Guitars too low in the mix as usual. They have almost eliminated all distortion at this point ughhhh. I have no idea how three people in the group can play guitar on a metal ablum and get thrown way back in the mix release after release.

Edit: Death or Glory proves that they can still create a good rocking song. Best song from them in years and years. I am a fan of this Maiden. Too bad this Maiden shows up once every ten years in one song. Tears of a Clown is good and a bit different, I think Adrian hasn't totally lost it. He still steps outside the box more than the others.

Disc 2 is considerably better than disc 1...like WAY better. Overall the entire thing isn't great though, maybe a 7 or 7.5. The Final Frontier has 100% more energy and creativity than this. Another warning don't go listen to Powerslave and then listen to this you will be tempted to give this a 2/10. I'll keep buying their releases for that one or two good songs per album though.
05.09.2015 - 13:16
Rating: 9
Chriwalker
T's a much harder album to get through than The Final Frontier (which I loved) , but it's an overall great album, I still think the Tittle song and Empire are the two best on the album. It's still growing on me though. Sadly it might be the weakest of the 2000 era..
----
Chris D.
05.09.2015 - 14:52
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by deadone on 05.09.2015 at 02:07

... especially the rather boring and pointless 5 minute instrumental section on Red and Black.

It is a real shame that you can't enjoy that.
05.09.2015 - 16:09
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

I think they need to find a producer that will curb their excesses especially the rather boring and pointless 5 minute instrumental section on Red and Black.

...which is one of the finest moments of this album. Iron Maiden at their instrumental best, churning out motive after motive, every one of them even more awe inspiring than its predecessor.
05.09.2015 - 16:29
nefredil
The first 7 and half minutes of Empire of the Clouds is i think, the best ballad piece that Maiden ever made
----
First rule of making alliance with the Devil? Don't do it.
05.09.2015 - 17:09
UPDIRNS
I bought the book edition for $13.97 at Bull Moose music. I want stoked. The artwork is awesome inside. It's a really cool way to deliver a new album. As for the album I listened to it once through and absolutely loved it. One of the best Maiden albums in the past 20 years.
05.09.2015 - 19:07
Rating: 7
musclassia
Staff
Written by Daniell on 05.09.2015 at 16:09

I think they need to find a producer that will curb their excesses especially the rather boring and pointless 5 minute instrumental section on Red and Black.

...which is one of the finest moments of this album. Iron Maiden at their instrumental best, churning out motive after motive, every one of them even more awe inspiring than its predecessor.

Have to say, having just finished TRATB, I'm not that impressed by the album in general so far, but the instrumental section in the second half of that song is far and away the most interesting section of the album so far, with the song itself far stronger than the trio that precede it.
05.09.2015 - 19:36
Nihil Aeternum
Very good review.
05.09.2015 - 20:41
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I absolutely love this album. So upbeat compared to the last two releases, and Final Frontier was unlistenable to me. I think the title track is my favorite so far.
05.09.2015 - 23:04
Titan1930
I appreciate they release a new album and a massive world tour, for me is not a bad album, but is not better than Brave a New Wolrd or Dance of death their best albums of the 2000 era; the highliths for me are the red and the black, speed of light, tears of a clown and empire of the clouds, can't wait for watch them alive next year up the irons lml
05.09.2015 - 23:54
lemme
Fantastic album, very solid and powerful. Dickinson's voice in the last song is the most epic sound on entire release. Surely the best song is TRATB.

I'm waiting for live version OoOoof it
06.09.2015 - 08:48
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Score seems to be inflated by our senior editor-in-chief.

Album doesn't represent 8.9 at any cost. Average throw out songwriting and riffs filled up the new Iron Maiden disc. Good moments you can found in some songs but then overall impression is very dull.

Again, no one was expecting Maiden to release classics 2.0. We thought Iron Maiden should come up a record that sounds way better The Final Frontier. But, as is been said by deadone, The Book is just an extended version of The Final Frontier.

Disappointed.
06.09.2015 - 09:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.09.2015 at 08:48

Album doesn't represent 8.9 at any cost.

You forgot to add "in my opinion".
06.09.2015 - 10:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 06.09.2015 at 09:46

This is a music forum. Things are "opinions" by default, unless directly stated otherwise. Otherwise every sodding line of writing would begin or end with "in my opinion" or "imo."
06.09.2015 - 12:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
I agree with the rewiew: this is an opus. The best since "Dance of Death" and that says a lot to me considering I love that album, it had a huge impact on me and it was the first album I bought.
----
06.09.2015 - 13:29
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

And I was really hoping for Adrian to come back and kick butt. He seems to have become a Steve Harris clone in his song writing.

All his writing credits here are co-writes with Harris or Dickinson (every song on this is written/co-written by one of those 2), so maybe they're calling the shots these days.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.09.2015 - 13:32
Kosst Amojan
Well, in my humble opinion, when we're up to it (who said once that opinions are just like arses, everyone has one?) this is by far their best album after reunion, and best one after the "Seventh Son". Why? And why there are many of you that disagree? Well, I think the problem is that this is their most progressive album, and many of you aren't used to that sound and don't like that aspect of Maiden. On the other side, being an old prog, and knowing that "Somewhere in Time" is their best album IMHO (such an overused abbreviation), it's not a big surprise that I like this one, also. Monumental songs, as Book of Souls and Empire of the Clouds are definitely their bravest, and greatest songs in many years, and a whole album is in that manner, even some shorter and lower-temp songs like beautiful Tears of the Clown which sticked to me right after the first listening.
Sure, this is no Maiden from the Powerslave or Somewhere in Time era, but in no case this is not a disappointment, on the contrary, I'm more than pleasantly surprised with energy and bravery of this new album, and even if they decide this to be their swan song, what a song that will be.
From me, pure nine for this one.
06.09.2015 - 14:49
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
I found it to be unbelievably boring. Songs drag on longer than they should and go nowhere. It's like prog for musicians who can't do prog. It's better than their last travesty, but nowhere near as good as Brave New World.

Also for the word "opus". Opus means an artistic work. All albums can use the word "opus", it doesn't mean an achievement above all others like "magnum opus".
06.09.2015 - 16:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 06.09.2015 at 10:53

Written by Daniell on 06.09.2015 at 09:46

This is a music forum. Things are "opinions" by default, unless directly stated otherwise. Otherwise every sodding line of writing would begin or end with "in my opinion" or "imo."

You are correct, of course. But the poster I was referring to made direct references to D.T.'s rating, and sounded as if he was correcting her. Hence my reaction.

Stating your opinion is one thing, but stating that someone else's opinion is "wrong" is something completely different.
06.09.2015 - 16:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 06.09.2015 at 16:33

You are correct, of course. But the poster I was referring to made direct references to D.T.'s rating, and sounded as if he was correcting her. Hence my reaction.

Stating your opinion is one thing, but stating that someone else's opinion is "wrong" is something completely different.

It's called disagreeing with someone. I think anyone that gives this album anything over a 6 is abjectly wrong. It's still an opinion though. You know, I know, Cynic knows, that what he said was not fact. So why insist he put a silly platitude after it to explain what we already know? It's funny that this issue only ever comes up when the person has an opposing view on something, never when they agree.
06.09.2015 - 17:00
JunN_Vai
Wow, lots of people here. i should check this album as soon as i can...curious
06.09.2015 - 18:19
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 06.09.2015 at 16:47

It's called disagreeing with someone.

Some people, actually most people, can express their own opinion without sounding patronizing and condescending.
06.09.2015 - 20:12
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Belegûr on 06.09.2015 at 14:49

Also for the word "opus". Opus means an artistic work. All albums can use the word "opus", it doesn't mean an achievement above all others like "magnum opus".

I was going to say just that. "Opus" = artwork, "magnum opus" = great artwork, compared to an artist's complete works.
06.09.2015 - 22:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 06.09.2015 at 18:19

Some people, actually most people, can express their own opinion without sounding patronizing and condescending.

And most people don't get offended by such types of comment and don't demand that people change their presentation as a result. Not everyone though it seems.

Hits total: 19979 | This month: 33