04. Cryoshock
05. The Horizon Effect
06. Anagenesis
07. Planetfall
08. Progenitor

Guest review by
musclassia
Rating:
Mechina continue their streak of welcoming the New Year with a new full-length album; following Empyrean, Xenon, and Acheron, 2016 now brings us Progenitor. Mechina's prolific output has been previously raised as a potential cause for concern; given the relative invariance in the band's sound, could such consistent music production result in the threat of staleness developing?

Read more ››
published 07.03.2016 | Comments (1)

Found in 14 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 11   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 403 users
05.12.2015 - 12:17
Rating: 7
musclassia

I was wondering when the customary new year's day album would get announced. There were moments of promise on Acheron that they could potentially grow from just repeating their core sound, so willing to give this one a try
06.12.2015 - 11:32
s_t_s

Hey a new Mechina album ! We can play another blind test then : listen to this tune and try to name it. No, really I only own Conqueror and I feel that's enough as other albums just sound so similar. Quite a good band tho, they only need to find the right formula so that we can see differences between all of their tracks. Will surely listen to this one, hoping for something new but my expectations sure aren't very high.
06.12.2015 - 15:00
Night Theater

I actually can't get enough of these guys! Keep up pumping the albums out!
02.01.2016 - 17:46
Rating: 7
Eternity'sChild

Not too impressed tbh, I feel like they are at a point, musically, where they have been many times before with their releases. I don't think it's bad, it's an enjoyable listen, but I'm still waiting for something that feels more special, like Xenon (though I probably like that one so much, because it was my first encounter with the band).
02.01.2016 - 21:11
Rating: 8
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I actually highly enjoyed this first listen on their bandcamp. You won't get anything new from this band if you've heard any of their previous stuff, but still a very good album if you liked their last couple of albums.
05.01.2016 - 23:27
FYA
Destroyer
Written by s_t_s on 06.12.2015 at 11:32

Hey a new Mechina album ! We can play another blind test then : listen to this tune and try to name it. No, really I only own Conqueror and I feel that's enough as other albums just sound so similar. Quite a good band tho, they only need to find the right formula so that we can see differences between all of their tracks. Will surely listen to this one, hoping for something new but my expectations sure aren't very high.

That's what I am thinking too.
10.01.2016 - 20:01
FullyOttoMatic

Am I the only one who found the two tracks with exclusively female vocals to be the only enjoyable songs on the album?
11.01.2016 - 05:07
Rating: 10
Written by FullyOttoMatic on 10.01.2016 at 20:01

Am I the only one who found the two tracks with exclusively female vocals to be the only enjoyable songs on the album?

Yes.
11.01.2016 - 05:10
FullyOttoMatic

Written by KyleHoskinson on 11.01.2016 at 05:07

Written by FullyOttoMatic on 10.01.2016 at 20:01

Yes.

Welp....
28.01.2016 - 09:04
Rating: 9
NoxStorM

Excellent Album .. it doesn't matter if they are repeating their tunes or not .. it is still cool and unique ..however i don't see that they are repeatable , if you listen to the last 5 albums Empyrean - Conqueror - Xenon - Acheron and this one Progenitor you will find those guys are improving a lot and building blocks to get more mature in their music and production so later albums are always better than their predecessors .. the only problem that it is hard to see them performing on stage one day which definitely decrease their total value as a band although their effort in production and creativity is priceless but this is the nature of the highly programmed music .. those guys deserve a better place .. keep on going
03.02.2016 - 22:38
Reaper_Redeemer

If you just listen to a sample you will like the riffing and the fast-paced melodies. Being repetitive is the weak part indeed.

Hits total: 9484 | This month: 14