07. At Dawn's First Light
08. One Thousand Burning Arrows
09. Vengeance Is My Name [bonus]
10. A Dream That Cannot Be [feat. Doro Pesch]
11. Back On Northern Shores

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Ever since With Oden On Our Side, Amon Amarth has been steadily succumbing to softer production and less inventive songwriting, each successive album lacking something more. I can't say that Jomsviking reverses this trend, but Amon Amarth has pulled out some new tricks so as to at least slow its descent and plateau into tepid stability.

Read more ››
published 26.03.2016 | Comments (25)

Found in 44 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 62   Visited by: 1357 users
31.01.2016 - 04:20
Rating: 6
Opethian

Safe to say their formula has been .... predictable? Thinking about dropping by Denver to see them live. Best wishes and I hope the new album delivers
19.03.2016 - 04:29
Nicko's Nose

I saw copies of this album at my favorite store in Quebec today. Isn't it supposed to come out in a week only?
19.03.2016 - 11:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Nicko's Nose on 19.03.2016 at 04:29

I saw copies of this album at my favorite store in Quebec today. Isn't it supposed to come out in a week only?

Might be different dates to albums date in parts of the world
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.03.2016 - 17:17
Rating: 5
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Nicko's Nose on 19.03.2016 at 04:29

I saw copies of this album at my favorite store in Quebec today.

Someone's getting fired.
22.03.2016 - 10:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
In any case...leak.
22.03.2016 - 22:05
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I always expected this would happen eventually, but I was never prepared for it. This is bad.
22.03.2016 - 23:56
MetalDoomMaster

A Dream That Cannot Be is fucking garbage. Wow.
23.03.2016 - 03:14
b0sse

2 days left until release.
23.03.2016 - 22:15
Rating: 7
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
It's okay. Kind of meh. There are a few good songs though. I like Raise Your Horns, The Way of Vikings, At Dawn's First Light, and Back On Northern Shores. Nothing really stands out in any big way though.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
23.03.2016 - 23:41
InsuRn

Got it in Quebec. So far, it seems better than Surtur's Rising and Deceiver of the Gods.
24.03.2016 - 09:45
s_t_s

Written by InsuRn on 23.03.2016 at 23:41

Got it in Quebec. So far, it seems better than Surtur's Rising and Deceiver of the Gods.

I sure need more spins before giving a firm opinion but for sure this album isn't as good as Surtur's Rising or Deceiver of the Gods. At first listen you could name and remember some tracks, unlike here. The second half of the album does sound better than the first half tho !

Ps : Finished my first listen of the whole album and I really dislike the voice of Doro !
24.03.2016 - 10:01
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by s_t_s on 24.03.2016 at 09:45
The second half od the album does sound better than the first half tho !

A friend of and myself thought the exact same thing - glad to know it's not just us
24.03.2016 - 10:03
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

Got it in Quebec.

What store was that in?
25.03.2016 - 08:38
AmooKia

The second half of the record is way better than the first one...
25.03.2016 - 09:07
Rating: 10
Pyroth

Enjoyed this thoroughly. I'd also agree that I enjoyed the back half more than the front half, but I did enjoy every track. The Doro Pesch track was weird at first but after a few spins I don't notice her as much and enjoy that track a lot more.
25.03.2016 - 09:47
Rating: 10
marshalldml

AWESOME!!!!
Much better than last two.
AA back to glory!
25.03.2016 - 16:31
Mönamarth

Their weakest album so far. The heavy metal-influenses are even more apparent here than on DotG. The melodies are often quite simple and monotonous compared to their previous releases. I believe that Hegg's voice has decayed in the last years and I don't like the talking-parts, e.g. early in At Dawn's First Light. One Thousand Burning Arrows and Back On Northern Shores are probably my favorite tracks from this one so far, but overall this album is a bit of a dissapointment.
25.03.2016 - 16:37
AmooKia

The Way Of Vikings , One thousand burning arrows, A Dream that can not be and Back On Northern Shores are the tracks that stand out ...
25.03.2016 - 19:16
The Benighted

It's never good when a single track doesn't stick out on an Amon Amarth album. SR and DotG both had at least one defining track, if not more, but this...yeah I can't say what that would be. At Dawn's First Light gets close. Love the Iron Maiden influences there, but it doesn't quite hit the mark either. I'll give it a couple more listens, but this has, so far, really underwhelmed me.

Do really like the production, though. Very crisp, very clean. Though not overly so.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
25.03.2016 - 22:54
Rating: 8
joshsteph

Love it! Pure Amon Amarth with some heavy metal influences here and there, a thing that does no harm on melodic albums, and it was there anyway since Surtur Rising. Solid tracks one after another, no song you'd call filler. All in all, this is what I was expecting from them.
25.03.2016 - 23:29
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
This is by far their weakest album to date. the only song i managed to really enjoy was At Dawns First Light
25.03.2016 - 23:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just tried, good is band sticks whit Viking roots in a lyrics, (Sina Varegan MS user will understand it) , but musically I dunno, something is missing, but still better as many old band sin that game brings us nowadays. Best song was where Doro did featuring part, its new, and stand sout a lot, IMO must be single and video made!
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.03.2016 - 00:45
nightwica

It is interesting with all this heavy metal influence, especially the beginning of The Wanderer is clear NWOBHM, I understand some people don't like it. There are many moments that stick out (a favourite moment in On a sea of blood, y'all know which one I'm talking about), and I love both the choruses of Raise your horns (bit atypical melody for AA maybe, but similar structure of song, and a very viking/folk metal like crowd chanting part, sure will be sung by drunkmen on concerts^^) and The way of the vikings, and damn I also like First Kill and...

One thousand burning arrows has this very atmospheric melancholic melody ♥ Somehow I connect it with Back on northern shores, they share the melancholy. Okay, I guess I like this album. I have to grow used to hearing Doro yet. The lyrics she sings sound quite stupid tbh. I guess One against all has the most of the old AA vibe and it's a lovely one. I also have to add I love the production of this one, it sounds amazing. Nothing will probably beat DotG for me, that album just really got me and I feel strong love to it
26.03.2016 - 07:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
AA's records always been found either hit or miss. This time it stuck in the middle of strong wave of appreciation, castigation and totally nullifying.

Couple of reactions i saw on other sources and found it was pretty mixed bag. On fb, AA's official website and on rym, it takes a decent flow of reactions like "great comeback post-DOTG" "great work on riffs and melody" and "structure". I heard and it seems nothing groundbreaking here at this moment. Same old riffs recycled in more modified way while drumming took a nasty blow from other records.

Some good songs filled a decent space in "Jomsviking". I won't call this a record shoddy one but still "fairer" and decent than last couple of albums.
26.03.2016 - 13:00
OpenMind

Their weakest album so far, disappointed
26.03.2016 - 18:20
Rating: 9
truenoacero

Their best album since Twilight of the Thunder God.
27.03.2016 - 08:01
LunchBox540

Jomsviking? More like Boresviking...
27.03.2016 - 16:40
saymonz

I also expected more
27.03.2016 - 20:02
Rating: 8
Jagsey

Enjoyed this more than Deceiver Of The Gods. Some stand out tracks for me are Raise Your Horns, At Dawn's First Light and Vengeance Is My Name
27.03.2016 - 21:42
InsuRn

Written by s_t_s on 24.03.2016 at 09:45

I sure need more spins before giving a firm opinion but for sure this album isn't as good as Surtur's Rising or Deceiver of the Gods. At first listen you could name and remember some tracks, unlike here. The second half of the album does sound better than the first half tho !

Ps : Finished my first listen of the whole album and I really dislike the voice of Doro !

After 5-6 listens, I was wrong about being better than Deceiver. I always found Surtur one of the weakest mainly because of the "too clean" sound. But this one, not a lot of songs really stand out. I like Wanderer, At Dawn's First Light and One Thousand Burning Arrows (even if it is one of their weakest "ballad"). Really disappointed about Back on Northern Shores and First Kill, usually Amon Amarth have killer first and last track, but they are far from killer here. But I must say that some of those songs will be killer live, like Raise Your Horns.
A 7 seems right for now.

EDIT: A Dream that Cannot Be is probably one of the worst Amon Amarth song.

Hits total: 22890 | This month: 26