09. Prediction Of Warfare

Disc II [Limited Edition 2CD Digipack]
01. Where Silent Gods Stand Guard [Live at Wacken Open Air 2004]
02. Death In Fire [Live at Wacken Open Air 2004]
03. With Oden On Our Side [demo]
04. Hermod's Ride To Hel - Lokes Treachery Part I [demo]
05. Once Sent From The Golden Hall [Sunlight Studio Recording 1997 version]
06. Return Of The Gods [Sunlight Studio Recording 1997 version]

Amon Amarth released their sixth full-length album "With Oden On Our Side" on September 22nd 2006. Whoever had been disappointed with their preceding full-length album "Fate Of Norns" must certainly have got over that disappointment after listening to this album because the band has once again moved closer to their older style of songwriting and their sound in this album is similar to that of their old releases like "Once Sent From The Golden Hall."

With songs rich in melody and masterful composition, a listener will certainly not find a boring moment in this album. In a particular album, sometimes, some or many of the songs sound similar to each other (due to similar riffs/rhythms/solos etc.) and because of this the listener might feel bitter; I can assure you that, in this album, you won't find this type of defect, every song sound quite different from each other and aren't even similar to their old songs; this album is a totally fresh piece of music.

With the song "Valhall Awaits Me" the album begins, and throughout the album you can find the same energetic performance and catchy melody. The vocals have indeed added life to the lyrics (which usually portray wars related with the Vikings) and has enhanced the songs; similarly, every instrument has helped in enhancing the songs and the performance of the band members is worthy of appreciation. In the songs here you'll find melodic riffs, complex pieces of music and extremely catchy solos (however solos aren't present in every songs). I find every songs in this album impressive but if anyone were to ask me which songs shouldn't be missed out I'd name songs like "Valhall Awaits Me," "Runes to my Memory," "Asator," "With Oden On Our Side" and "Cry of the Black Birds." I don't mean to say that other songs are less special, you are actually making a mistake if you limit yourself within only a few songs of the album.

Well, the band has added one more brilliant album to their discography with the release of this album, and this album has, to a great extent helped the band to maintain their image of "great melody-makers." I'd call this album a masterpiece (although it may not be the same to all due to variation in opinions), and would highly recommend this album not only to the fans of the band and death metal but also to fans of melodic metal music

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Paganblood | 16.03.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 38   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 381 users
16.03.2007 - 12:19
Rating: 10
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
I really love this album, one of their best ever, surely better than Fate Of Norns (too much mid-tempos...)!
Good review for a great album!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
16.03.2007 - 15:02
matthioso

idd, couldn't agree more. fantastic album
----
www.seedofrock.be
16.03.2007 - 20:59
lenesu

Very catchy indeed. Modern nordic pop-metal =))
16.03.2007 - 23:00
Ernis
狼獾
Pop-metal

well...I wouldn't say that....trust me....they still have to work to become "pop metal".....

I indeed think this album is very well done....nothing to be disappointed about....and every song has its power and energy.....
23.03.2007 - 07:42
Danny Thomas

i agree with you, this is slowly becomign one of my favorite albums of all time period.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
24.03.2007 - 02:47
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Great album, one of the best of 2006 no questions asked. Took me a while to grow onto but its definitly a step up from 'Fate Of Norns' which was also a great album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.03.2007 - 09:49
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Thanks for the comments.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
27.03.2007 - 19:11
Sunioj

I think Im going to make this album my first Amon Amarth...
03.04.2007 - 22:12
Rating: 9
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Good review.

"a listener will certainly not find a boring moment in this album"

I agree with you. This album is fantastic, powerfull and especially varied.
A big masterpiece and the best death metal album in 2006.

And the artwork is very well-kept at least for the limited edition (that I have buy)
19.04.2007 - 18:27
Forest Corm
Account deleted
I love Amon Amarth. I own every album and this is deffiently one of my favorites. Its deffiently up there with "Once Sent From The Golden Hall". I really loved the harmonizing solo in "Valhall Awaits Me". The first time I heard it, it really took me by surprise. Amon Amarth had been able to, before come up with solos that kicked just as much ass as more techy/melodic stuff by other bands, in songs like "Ride For Vengence", "North Sea Storm," "Releasing Surtur's Fire," "Death In Fire" and "A Fury Divne" they pulled off stuff that I can honestly say I've heard no other band done before, let alone well. They simply re-established there place on the Swedish Death Metal scene. Johan's vocals are so good too. He does a great mix and contrast between the lower growls and the higher screams. The vocals seem more stable too, more audible almost. Overall, amazing band, amazing album

- Corm
18.06.2007 - 01:25
tulkas
el parcero
indeed a great album. no boring moments at all, and the great energy is found from the beggining until the end. amazing!
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
05.12.2007 - 05:21
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
great album, great review
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
05.12.2007 - 06:10
ArcanaHereticae

Written by Katatronik on 16.03.2007 at 12:19

I really love this album, one of their best ever, surely better than Fate Of Norns (too much mid-tempos...)!
Good review for a great album!

Well said. With Oden On Our Side really "stepped up to the plate" in the Viking Metal genre. Great album.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
05.12.2007 - 21:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
If this wasnt 2006's best album I don't know what was. I really loved this album. I remember I liked it from the first time I put it on my cd player.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.04.2008 - 23:39
Dark-Member Alex
Account deleted
vikings are back!!!
01.07.2008 - 04:36
ponderer

Excellent review for a fantastic band my friend. Great things are going to happen for these boys with their next release, I can feel it. With Oden On Our Side is an epic offering and these guys are really starting to deliver the metal goods. Keep up the good work Amon Amarth!!!
01.07.2008 - 15:57
Hamird
Lieutenant
I like this album more than other albums of Amon Amarth, because of their fantastic lyrics. The music of the band is a good as before albums (of course it's improved). But the lyrics are a real epic. The best example for lyrics is Black-Birds Cry!! That's nice!
08.10.2008 - 06:26
ponderer

What can I say about this band other than the fact that these boys can play? There's something really catchy about the Swedes, and I think I've finally nailed it. It's the melodies and harmonies littered throughout their music on every single cd regardless of speed or musical complexity. The guitar work is really something special here with one taking turns at melody and the other strumming along beautifully providing depth in rhythm. This pattern is somewhat carved in stone with Amon Amarth at this point, and it's something you can easily associate with this band. The harmonies and melodies are ceaseless, but the hook is that it's still raw, in-your-grill metal. Between the relentless picking, the driving double-bass or the heartfelt growl from hell, Amon Amarth are providing on a large scale at this point.

I can't stress enough how much these boys have impressed me as a musician and moreover a heavy metal fan, granted I only discovered Amon Amarth whence they released With Oden On Our Side which was much later in their careers. I think things are finally starting to happen for this band and their futures in the music industry are pretty much solidified at this point. We get the theme. We get the music. We dig the whole package. As long as they keep producing metal from the heart they'll stand the test of time. Most metal bands don't.
20.10.2008 - 15:43
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
That album deserves a straight 10! The best release by Amon Amarth. Perfect production, fast or more melodic songs.. The reason why Amon Amarth is now a band with worldwide fame.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
21.10.2008 - 23:47
Toast
Account deleted
Fucking amazing lyrics and vocals, they're probably my favourite things about this band. I'd give the album an 8 overall though.
27.11.2008 - 14:49
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Amazing album! perfect in everyway even the name With Oden On Our Side is great, this album made me get into Amon Amarth:thumbup:
28.11.2008 - 15:15
Rating: 7
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 05.12.2007 at 05:21

great album, great review

forbidden stuff removed

help appreciated

You could always buy it!

Your own ripped version would no doubt contain no track length errors.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
29.11.2008 - 00:23
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Raiden on 28.11.2008 at 15:15

You could always buy it!

Your own ripped version would no doubt contain no track length errors.

haha i have bought it now! (as well as all other AA albums, cept Twilight...)
----
30.11.2008 - 04:52
Rating: 7
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Good haha. Seeing as everyone seems to like it it seems fair to buy it
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
30.11.2008 - 05:33
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
yeh, well its definately one of my favourite albums of all time! pure perfection...
----
19.12.2008 - 22:08
Infocalypse

There two points of view for this album.

The first point would be the point of the mainstream metalhead, the second one - of a metalhead that is more into music and metal at all. For the first ones the album is perfect ("This album kicks some fucking asses! It's got power, it's got melody, it's got might"). The riffs are very melodic, you can sing allong with the singer.

A metalhead who likes metal and who rates metal as metal , would say, that is album is boring. The constructions of all songs are similiar to each other, this album is not technical. And it is not really very aggressive.

So... there are two marks: 10/10 and 6/10.
20.12.2008 - 00:13
Luciferion

Well done review, for a wicked album.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
10.04.2009 - 08:38
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
It seem as catchy as ''Fate of Norns'', but the real album that gets musically closer to this one is ''Once Sent From the Golden Hall'' (as it is said in the review).

This kind of heavy/melodic/viking themed catchiness makes this album one of the best of the band alongside with its brother ''Once Sent From the Golden Hall', plus this album presents the best vocal work on Amon Amarth.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.06.2009 - 12:33
In Bone Factory

Perdiction Of Warfare sends me to the space.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
27.09.2009 - 14:21
Solstafir!

What an amazing album! There isn't a single bad song in here...
One of those rare albums that keeps your adrenaline pumping for a long long time...

Hits total: 12231 | This month: 14