Metal Storm logo
Ne Obliviscaris - Launch New Crowdfunding Campaign

Ne Obliviscaris have launched a new Patreon crowdfunding campaign to allow them to continue touring and make a living as a band. You can support the band at this location and find out more about why they are doing this. Fans can get rewards and contribute a sum monthly to help keep the band active.

The goal: "Minimum wage in Australia is $17.29AUD ($12.36USD) an hour or $656.90AUD per standard 38 hour work week. Our goal is to try and reach a monthly contribution on our Patreon of $17,079.40AUD (*$12,703USD on the current exchange rate from USD to AUD). Divided by 6 people this works out to $34,158.80AUD ($25,407USD) each per year, the minimum amount one can earn for a full time job in Australia. We have no expectations of wealth or riches. That is of no interest to us. For us it is much simpler, the dream of being able to do NeO full time and be able to survive financially in the process."

They also said: "So where to from here? Well, we want to create an interactive fan experience unlike any band that has come before us. We want to help create a path, not just for Ne Obliviscaris, but for the countless bands across the world that are working incredibly hard, touring the world to perform for their fans and losing money every step of the way. And we want to do it by empowering YOU, the fans, so that you get to decide who succeeds and who doesn't. The old establishment is dying. Let's show that we can create our own new way forward and put the power back where it should be, with the fans who love and believe in the music that we, and so many great bands out there are creating."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Ne Obliviscaris
Posted: 07.03.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   Visited by: 132 users
07.03.2016 - 15:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Wow, so many people have already signed up! Good luck, Ne Obliviscaris. I am not a fan though.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.03.2016 - 16:50
Risto
Wandering Midget
Actually more like a mix of traditional crowdfunding and a sort of fanclub, anything over 50$ per month is too crazy though. Mad props for trying something fresh, even though the odds for not succeeding aren't too great at this point.

The introduction on their Patreon page addresses the financial details of their ongoing world tour, which is an interesting read.
07.03.2016 - 18:17
cossaisVendeurs
"We have no expectations of wealth or riches. That is of no interest to us. For us it is much simpler, the dream of being able to do NeO full time and be able to survive financially in the process"

Translation: "We're not interested in making money....Give us money so wedon't have to get a real job while trying to make millions doing a genre which will never get is that amount"

I heard the drummer left his $150,000 a year job to focus on the band. Stupid move really. I've not really heard of this band either. It sounds like they think people owe them a live cause they make music. Chuck Billy of Testament was working at a trucking company until a couple of years ago and Testament are pretty much mainstream metal.
07.03.2016 - 18:43
Zap
Even if my favorite band asked me to donate on a monthly basis I'd tell them to fuck off.
07.03.2016 - 19:41
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Zap on 07.03.2016 at 18:43

Even if my favorite band asked me to donate on a monthly basis I'd tell them to fuck off.

It's not pure donation, it's a service to generate revenue. Here's an excerpt from a personal statement by Tim Charles:

"Life is full of choices. We chose to accept tours that would lose us money to get exposure to tens of thousands of new fans and it has been great for our career as we have made huge strides in the past year. This is what every band in the world has to do in an attempt to make their business profitable. This is called the "investment period".... sadly for most bands they invest and invest and when eventually they have no money left to invest call it a day having never reached the seemingly unattainable goal of financial reimbursement for the endless hours put in.

But what if I told you that some bands already have enough fans to make a living, it's just the system doesn't funnel money properly directly to the bands? The way people consume music has changed, and as a result the way people support bands financially has dropped considerably creating a situation where most mid level international bands are struggling. But the fans are there, more passionate than ever and want the bands they love to succeed. So if there is a way forward not just for NeO but for COUNTLESS bands across the world why would people fight it?

Too much pride? It is not arrogance to have self worth and feel your music is worth something to the people that listen to it and enjoy it.

I am a professional musician that has made a living off music ever since I finished University. I have done this in a range of ways such as teaching violin, setting up my own Booking agency, tour company, record label, performing as a session musician and more. I studied classical violin for over 20 years, and if I went out and joined an orchestra I would get paid very well and nobody would have an issue. But instead I decided to pursue a career playing violin in a metal band, and apparently for me to dream about a day where I could get paid to do such a thing is apparently offensive to some people.

Musicians in our society are criminally under-rated and under-valued. But rather than just accept that our fate is doomed to forever be impoverished we have found a new way that is working and I think it will work for many other bands around the world. If more bands can succeed through the power of their fans how in any way can this be a bad thing? Nobody is being forced to sign up, this is something strictly for our fans, hundreds of whom have already signed up in the first 3 days.

This is a way that fans can show their support. But it is not a hand out. We are offering a range of services and perks in return for someone signing up as a member. We are also allowing fans an opportunity to ensure that the music that means something to them continues to be made."

Here's the full thing. I'm not a member in this, but these kind of things are starting to bother me.
08.03.2016 - 00:11
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Well, I'm not against it. If they can make some money from their fans who want to support, good for them
If I would support them or not is other matter though =p
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.03.2016 - 00:43
Virgile
Written by cossaisVendeurs on 07.03.2016 at 18:17

"We have no expectations of wealth or riches. That is of no interest to us. For us it is much simpler, the dream of being able to do NeO full time and be able to survive financially in the process"

Translation: "We're not interested in making money....Give us money so wedon't have to get a real job while trying to make millions doing a genre which will never get is that amount"

I heard the drummer left his $150,000 a year job to focus on the band. Stupid move really. I've not really heard of this band either. It sounds like they think people owe them a live cause they make music. Chuck Billy of Testament was working at a trucking company until a couple of years ago and Testament are pretty much mainstream metal.

Some bands freely choose to keep working aside their musical career so they are not bullied by some shitty music contracts or whatever (see South American band Violator for example), and others want to focus entirely on their project.
What's the problem, man ?
I mean even though giving 50$ a month is a bit too far pushed in my opinion, it's great to be helped by your fans instead of being urged to release crappy music by the old establishment.
08.03.2016 - 10:45
Alondate
Why people argue so much about this matter? If you have a few bucks and really like the band then donate or VICE VERSA. It is that simple. Some people act like they rob us. What the fuck is wrong with you?

There is band called "Aeon" in Sweden. They have constantly been losing band members because of the lack of income and other financial hardships. But some of the band members still struggle to give more music. For example, they can use this method and make a few bucks. What can be wrong with this? I know lots of people would gladly give them donations. So? Win-win
08.03.2016 - 13:42
JayMo4
The way some people are reacting, you'd think NeO put a gun to their head. This isn't a tax - No one has to do this that doesn't want to. And Metallica will still make infinitely more money doing things the old fashioned way, if that's more comforting for you.

The record companies have screwed so many artists, I have a hard time objecting to anything a band does to release music independently.
08.03.2016 - 17:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by JayMo4 on 08.03.2016 at 13:42

The way some people are reacting, you'd think NeO put a gun to their head. This isn't a tax - No one has to do this that doesn't want to. And Metallica will still make infinitely more money doing things the old fashioned way, if that's more comforting for you.

The record companies have screwed so many artists, I have a hard time objecting to anything a band does to release music independently.

I tend to agree with you. At least, they are getting it from fans (who can give what they want) without being exploited by the labels. Bands need to make a living somehow.

It does seem like it will be the way of the future and bands have to adapt.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.03.2016 - 17:55
Danroush
It's interesting how people are only mentioning the higher brackets. The lowest one was $5 if I recall correctly, and if it's a band you really like, you're effectively helping to keep the band alive with very little of your money. It's not even a donation really, if you consider your money can help be the difference between a band you like making that new album or never getting around to it because they can't afford to do it propery.

It also works especially well for those who don't buy albums, which is a large portion of metal fans, because they can't reasonably afford to buy every album they listen to out of literally hundreds of bands, and in reality it's better they listen to it all and contribute where they can, than buy a few albums from a small handful of bands but never end up getting properly into metal because they can't afford to.
31.03.2016 - 18:27
Zap
Except that buying each album from 10 of your favorite bands AND going to see them live each time they release a new album is still a lot cheaper than giving 5 of your favorite bands 5 bucks a month for some sneak peaks and behind the scenes garbage.

Hits total: 2501 | This month: 7