03. Withering Strands
04. Roots To Sever
05. Whelm
06. A Thread Dissolves
07. Grasping Light
08. The Smoke Of Many Fires

Top 20 albums of 2016: 4

Additional info
Released worldwide via Napalm Records and in Australia and New Zealand via MGM.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Be'lakor is one of the most highly-praised and widely-beloved bands on Metal Storm, and I guess now we know which album is going to sweep our melodeath category come awards season; but before you storm away in a petulant huff complaining about popularity contests and unfair competition, allow me to explain why Vessels will be the album leading its buddies by 600 votes next February.

Read more ››
published 06.08.2016 | Comments (28)

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 89   Visited by: 1771 users
28.06.2016 - 07:19
Rating: 9
M0rkeleb
Written by JayMo4 on 28.06.2016 at 02:49

Metalstorm sure has a hard-on for melodeath. Can't believe this album is averaging a 9 - easily the highest score of any album this year to date - after almost 150 people have reviewed it. It's not even the best Be'lakor album, much less better than the stuff Vektor and Moonsorrow have released in '16.

Same thing happened last year with Insomnium.

I'm really not trying to bash these bands. Both albums are decent enough, but I wouldn't call either of them special. It's all subjective... I guess i'm just not quite on the same page.

Both the Vektor and Moonsorrow albums have more votes. As votes accumulate the average tends to go down. I don't remember for sure, but I think Vektor and maybe Moonsorrow too had higher ratings at the time they had 140 votes, and I am guessing this will drop below both eventually.
28.06.2016 - 08:16
Fearmeister
Account deleted

Metalstorm sure has a hard-on for melodeath. Can't believe this album is averaging a 9 - easily the highest score of any album this year to date - after almost 150 people have reviewed it. It's not even the best Be'lakor album, much less better than the stuff Vektor and Moonsorrow have released in '16.

I'm really not trying to bash these bands. Both albums are decent enough, but I wouldn't call either of them special. It's all subjective... I guess i'm just not quite on the same page.

Pretty sure that Insomnium album came out two years ago. Amorphis was the big one last year.

I honestly think that this album is amazing (unlike the previously mentioned two, which I found alright) mainly due to the fact that this is a fresh new sound to an extremely stale genre. While many modern melodeath albums tend to be a regurgitation of past glories, this album had my attention with the songwriting, keeping me wondering what's going to happen next. I honestly haven't enjoyed a new melodeath album this much since 2009 and I think it deserves its high score. Is it the best album of the year? In my opinion, no. I still enjoy Virus, Destroyer 666, Howls of Ebb and Vektor a bit more though this is no less mighty.
28.06.2016 - 09:30
Rating: 8
BehzadSh

The average will go down soon (maybe to 8.4), the album has just released, people are excited, maybe too excited
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
28.06.2016 - 09:48
Rating: 5
Litvin
Quite complex, a bit specific, sometimes boring.
Time to time awesome... Atmospheric. No awesome riffs.
Good. However not the best.
28.06.2016 - 13:14
Rating: 7
JayMo4
Written by Guest on 28.06.2016 at 08:16
Pretty sure that Insomnium album came out two years ago.

Oops, yeah, my bad on that
28.06.2016 - 23:31
Nicko's Nose
This album is really fucking good. One of the best melodeath albums I've heard in years.
29.06.2016 - 02:39
Nicko's Nose

I'm not even a big melodeath fan, but I think this album is fucking great and possibly better than both Moonsorrow's and Vektor's last albums (which had higher ratings than this at the beginning btw).
29.06.2016 - 22:08
Uxküll
The Smoke of Many Fires is the best song I have heard in years.
----
"Nullum unquam exstitit magnum igenium sine aliqua dementia [there was never great genius without some madness]."

Best of Metal A-Z: http://metalstorm.net/users/lists.php?user_id=158339
29.06.2016 - 23:39
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
8.9? I think this album is overrated. I love Be'lakor but this is an average album compared to their previous releases! .. Quality is lower than before and lacked the catchy riffs of every album. I don't also enjoy the vocals as much as before. I will give it another listen before I rate it.
30.06.2016 - 08:55
essbee
This is a fine album, I do feel the lack of passion when listening to it, it feels a bit "boring", for a lack of a better word, but I can recognize that it's still a very good album, I enjoy it.
01.07.2016 - 13:15
EW
Yep, a massive step down for me. It sounds more like an Insomnium album than Be'lakor.
01.07.2016 - 15:14
Written by qnick90 on 24.06.2016 at 14:58

Its solid at the best - yet they are trying so hard. The singer is trying to change his growls sometimes in more creative way (which is imho the most positive change), and I can find some progressive- like efforts to take the maximum out of the melodeath genre. The keyboards and drums are just to dull and uninspired, but the riffs are still great and thankfully less staccato... Yeah it is solid effort, but didnt blow my mind as two previous releases.
An Embers Arc is the best song i would say with some interesting (I wont say Opeth-like!) changes throughout the song. the other ones tryes this to, but i cant say they do the trick as succesfully.
And have you noticed that roots to sewer starts like this? Cannot unhear it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvS351QKFV4

Yes. I kind of believe "Stone's Reach" was much more better. This release didn't masterpiece songs. Only some of them were just great like that one you mentioned and "Roots To Sever" in some extent.
01.07.2016 - 19:00
OpenMind
Quote:
Yes. I kind of believe "Stone's Reach" was much more better. This release didn't masterpiece songs. Only some of them were just great like that one you mentioned and "Roots To Sever" in some extent.

De gustibus but "The Smoke of Many Fires" is one of best melodic death songs from last 5 years
02.07.2016 - 01:23
musclassia
staff
I can only assume the rating will go down eventually - it's a perfectly fine album, a decent addition to Be'lakor's catalogue and likely one of the better melodeath albums to come out this year, but it's not really in the same league as the two albums that preceded it. Nothing here really stood out in the same way Abeyance, In Parting, Dream and the Waking from OBAB, or Countless Skies and the like from Stone's Reach, did on both first and repeat listens
03.07.2016 - 09:23
Kuroboshi
Hmm, no catchy riffs? I don't understand... This album is super-duper catchy, with very fresh riffs. Melodic death was my entry into the metal scene, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite genre anymore, as I tend to listen more to post metal, death thrash, black nowadays, but this is seriously ass-rippingly good.

And honestly, I don't feel that MS is especially melodeath-loving. Sure, Insomnium, Amorphis, Be'lakor, Omnium Gatherum tend to get pretty good points at first, but they usually go down after a while. But I wouldn't say that this is limited to melodeath; all genres are like that.
03.07.2016 - 20:41
Rating: 10
aXenom
The whole album is catchy as fuck. But I couldn't get it until I started to listen it as a whole thing. E.g., Roots to Sever is a great composition by itself, but to me it sounds absolutely differently after Withering Strands, which unfolds in the end in some special atmosphere and feeling. Not sure how to describe shit like that, but I find it absolutely awesome.
05.07.2016 - 02:58
Rating: 6
3dd
Extremely overrated. Be'lakor is one of my favorites bands, and this album is a huge let down, sadly.
'Stone's Reach' and 'Of Breath And Bone' were truly masterpieces. I agree who said this is a massive step down. Luma, And Ember's Arc, Roots to Sever are great, though.
05.07.2016 - 04:12
Coconut Racecar

Would have to agree. I'd like to find a site one day that has a hard on for brutal death metal because this site sure doesn't.

It's all opinion really but it's kind of frustrating when you see a bunch of highly rated bands/albums, check them out and find that they're just "meh."
05.07.2016 - 13:04
Quote:
Written by OpenMind on 01.07.2016 at 19:00

De gustibus but "The Smoke of Many Fires" is one of best melodic death songs from last 5 years

Yes. Here and before, I read a lot of how great this track is. However, these days "Harakiri For The Sky (III - Trauma)" and "Anomalie (Refugium)" has also released their album. Undeliberately, my mind goes for comparison. Plus, I am comparing "Countless Skies" with "The Smoke of Many Fires". First one, when I listened to it made my hair straight on my arm but latter just passed. I really have no idea why I cant get amazed by this track. I can say just good enough to listen once and go for another. While I repeated listening "Countless Skies" for 1 year and still it is on the list when my soul wish to fly.
05.07.2016 - 15:36
Written by 3dd on 05.07.2016 at 02:58

Extremely overrated. Be'lakor is one of my favorites bands, and this album is a huge let down, sadly.
'Stone's Reach' and 'Of Breath And Bone' were truly masterpieces. I agree who said this is a massive step down. Luma, And Ember's Arc, Roots to Sever are great, though.

I am finding it hard too see, how you like the simpler Luma, but the epic Withering Strands you are saying is a huge let down? For me this album is as moving as Stone's Reach, different for sure of course.
06.07.2016 - 07:08
Maco
Pvt Funderground
An unremarkable album as I expected.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
10.07.2016 - 13:43
Mold of Tree
Account deleted
This album deserves a gold record or maybe platinum one. Be'lakor have never disappointed me! 'Of Breath and Bone' was really absolutely stunning with the piano parts that make Be'lakor unique! But 'Vessels' from the first second to the last is an enjoyable album and you're thankful for that they fulfill and improved your emotions with darkness, melody and inspiring lyrics that will blow your mind far far away in the universe...!
11.07.2016 - 08:13
Necrodamus
A beautiful melodious journey. Definitely album of the year material so far...next to Moonsorrow's of course.
12.07.2016 - 18:20
erat
Fine melodeath release, definitely not their best. I was expecting an AOTY meterial, so i'm kinda disappointed. Have couple of great tracks though, i personally loved An Ember's Arc, Withering Strands and The Smoke Of Many Fires.
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
13.07.2016 - 23:03
kam1kaze
It is a good album, but not as heavy as the previous ones, which, for me, are best.
22.07.2016 - 05:02
lugardo
This album is not your re-skin of Be'lakor. This is not copy pasted guitar riffs that grow old on your ear due to over abused media exposure over the years.
I believe this is a genuine effort to make things fresh by a band which we have been accustomed by now to deliver on its premise: Quality melodic metal.

Their formula, although somewhat different this time around, still adheres to its simplistic yet still packing a punch. A one two combo that can only be described as a set up for their melodic breakdowns. I personally enjoy Roots to Sever. It has a great opening and it starts going pretty fast, ramming you with this simple yet effective riff that keeps pulling you in. In their trademark Be'lakor'esque melodic breakdown towards the end, I found myself being introduced to multiple mental images of medieval grotesque yet beautiful scenery.

My favorite snog is The Smoke of Many Fires. Just listen to it. While a good description is due, the genius of this songs relies on the fact that you can tell they love playing this particular type of enthusiastic music. A small dedicated acoustic build up along the middle of the song serves as a contrast to the heavier riffs followed, like seeing a beautiful woman then seeing the same woman being snatched away by your enemy without you being able to change the outcome.

I recommend you give this a whirl as a whole. Although we are all in some shape or form nitpicky about our tastes, I believe this is a great album that just demonstrates that quality melodic death metal can still have some genuine roots. Be'lakor have found the game winning formula to be in a league of their own.
23.07.2016 - 00:04
OkOtChA
Good shit as per usual with these cunts!
24.07.2016 - 12:57
phanto
Why did they fade out track 1. ffs
An Ember's Arc should have been the opener.
25.07.2016 - 12:53
Rating: 5
Litvin
Just discovered an awesome MDM band

Sounds cool and not as boring as Vessels!
04.08.2016 - 23:12
Rating: 6
Constantine
Written by Litvin on 25.07.2016 at 12:53

Just discovered an awesome MDM band

Sounds cool and not as boring as Vessels!

Nice find!

Hits total: 40645 | This month: 59