09. Collapse
10. Recharging The Void

The Best Thrash Metal Album Of 2016
Top 20 albums of 2016: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 166

Guest review by
The Massenger
Rating:
I would love Vektor's thrash metal. Perhaps one of the reasons is the singing of David DiSanto, like the great Chuck Schuldiner's. But without considering this resemblance and the inspiration that Death's style had on Vektor, the adventure of these Arizona metalheads is interesting to me. From the first album, entitled Black Future, I was attracted to them; but five years doesn't seem like a bad time for the flying saucer known as Vektor to fly towards its third manifesto. If you think the main reason for the darkness of space is the non-reflectivity of light, it is necessary to travel to space with the octopus of Vektor; if you think the void needs to charge and recharge, it's necessary to listen to the tenth track. It seems Vektor traveled to space to see the astrological signs and the conclusion of our planet Earth, a conclusion, of course, of a void-world that made itself and charged up, but at last, there was no choice but to recharge/discharge it.

Read more ››
published 26.08.2016 | Comments (3)

Found in 105 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 158   Visited by: 1729 users
05.04.2016 - 19:51
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
After those 3 songs i have high hopes for this one... I dont know if BF can be surpassed, but it seems they may create something better than OI...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
06.05.2016 - 19:38
Rating: 10
Gurablashta

Got done with the first listen and so far I love it. It's clearly a Vektor album, yet a little different at the same time. Defintely something worth listening to multiple times.

Best Songs IMO: Charging the Void, Psychotropia
06.05.2016 - 20:57
MyNameJeff

Wow...! WOW! What the hell!??! This band keeps surprising me!
This is incredible.
06.05.2016 - 22:25
Skoda

Mindblowing. Definitely AOTY material.
----
Sleeping on his laurels.
07.05.2016 - 04:33
Diverge

Wow, I never anticipated this level of maturity from Vektor. I'm pleasantly surprised by this. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say AOTY material, but certainly in the running for surprise of the year.
07.05.2016 - 08:40
Rulatore

Damn, this shit is too good
07.05.2016 - 10:52
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Light years ahead of their last album which was not very engaging for me. This is very progressive and sounds insanely good. Truly justifies the ratings here which I initially thought were overrated before listening to the record.
07.05.2016 - 13:16
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Way too long for its own good. I couldn't even finish it all.
07.05.2016 - 15:00
Rating: 8
God Alone

The hype is strong with this one.
07.05.2016 - 15:12
SoulOfMetal

Incredible album
07.05.2016 - 18:41
Murder

I was expecting something incredible from this guys but god... this album is overwhelming, a fucking masterpiece. It's perfect, nothing more to say, AOTY for sure.
07.05.2016 - 23:57
Gurablashta

Now if only I knew how to score albums on this damn website I could give it a 10, as it's just as good as Black Future, if not better, after 6 listens. In the meantime, round 7!
08.05.2016 - 00:01
Diverge

Written by Gurablashta on 07.05.2016 at 23:57

Now if only I knew how to score albums on this damn website I could give it a 10, as it's just as good as Black Future, if not better, after 6 listens. In the meantime, round 7!

Just below the album picture there's a blue button that says "Rate". Simply select the numerical score
Good call- I love this album more than Black Future as well.
08.05.2016 - 00:22
God Alone

First listen and I found it thoroughly enjoyable, even if not quite my genre. Sure I can see why thrash metal fans are going apeshit about this, so, yeah, believe the hype.
08.05.2016 - 02:24
Diverge

Written by Guest on 08.05.2016 at 01:17

Wtf, It's never thrash metal. Since when death metal called technical thrash metal or progressive thrash metal?!

This is literally progressive thrash metal. No death metal at all in here.
08.05.2016 - 13:16
PocketMetal

A 9 for now, might give it a 10 with further listens. The closer is so fucking great, I was almost brought to tears.
08.05.2016 - 15:02
Korah

Written by Diverge on 08.05.2016 at 02:24

Written by Guest on 08.05.2016 at 01:17

Wtf, It's never thrash metal. Since when death metal called technical thrash metal or progressive thrash metal?!

This is literally progressive thrash metal. No death metal at all in here.

I agree, if this is Death I should go back to wiki to read again the definition
----
Don't cry for my English
08.05.2016 - 17:53
Gurablashta

Written by Diverge on 08.05.2016 at 00:01

Written by Gurablashta on 07.05.2016 at 23:57

Just below the album picture there's a blue button that says "Rate". Simply select the numerical score
Good call- I love this album more than Black Future as well.

You're a diamond, mate also, I'm on listen number 10 now, Psychotropia and Recharging the Void are just so good
09.05.2016 - 00:14
Neachy

Not normally a thrash fan but the vocals and riffing here are great. The only track I find to be weak is Pteropticon. It just sounds bland compared to the rest of the album.
09.05.2016 - 10:36
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Vektor is the same as before - bloated songs with too many riffs (as good as they are) and too little structure. These guys are great at creating riffs, but they suck at songwriting.
09.05.2016 - 10:48
lemme

Masterpiece!
09.05.2016 - 13:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Don't really like any song much with the exception of Pillars of Sand. But what I can surely say is that Terminal Redux is a sound engineering/recording/mixing/whatever failure. Horrible flat sound, muffled middle, no bass... Definitely one of the things preventing from getting into the album faster.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.05.2016 - 13:50
PocketMetal

Written by K✞ulu on 09.05.2016 at 13:40

Don't really like any song much with the exception of Pillars of Sand. But what I can surely say is that Terminal Redux is a sound engineering/recording/mixing/whatever failure. Horrible flat sound, muffled middle, no bass... Definitely one of the things preventing from getting into the album faster.

Whaaat? Are you sure you got the correct version? It sounds incredible, also the bass is very audible on this record. Maybe your headphone is fucked up or something?
09.05.2016 - 14:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 09.05.2016 at 10:36

Vektor is the same as before - bloated songs with too many riffs (as good as they are) and too little structure. These guys are great at creating riffs, but they suck at songwriting.

100% agreed, although I would rate it 7 due to the riffing and also sound of this album. Great production.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2016 - 14:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by PocketMetal on 09.05.2016 at 13:50

Whaaat? Are you sure you got the correct version? It sounds incredible, also the bass is very audible on this record. Maybe your headphone is fucked up or something?

He probably heard a leak or some streaming thing on another website. The finished product sounds great. Top notch production.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2016 - 14:37
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2016 at 14:21

Written by PocketMetal on 09.05.2016 at 13:50

He probably heard a leak or some streaming thing on another website. The finished product sounds great. Top notch production.

No, I listened to FLAC tracks, and I really prefer the sound of Black Future to this. For example, I really like Pillars of Sand, but I can't really hear any bass there...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.05.2016 - 14:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 09.05.2016 at 14:37

For example, I really like Pillars of Sand, but I can't really hear any bass there...

Then I think you need a new set of ears.
Even on the YouTube version of that track that Earache posted about a month ago I can clearly hear a bass.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2016 - 01:05
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Wow, that good? I need to get on this ASAP.
10.05.2016 - 15:53
Jannik

Can't remember a thrash album that came out, that i liked more
10.05.2016 - 17:43
erikwithafro81

Aaaaand I'm back. Since we released this new album, I wanted to give my thanks once again to everyone for listening. I posted this to RYM, so I hope you don't mind the repost heh.

"Hi everyone, this is Erik from Vektor. I want to thank you all so fucking much for the kind words about Terminal Redux. We took some fairly big risks (clean vocals, soul singers, etc.) and it truly means everything to me that everyone is responding so well to these things. So thank you, from the bottomless pit of my heart, for enjoying what we do in Vektor. Now spread it around the universe!"

Also, Ktulu, I'm surprised at your reaction man! Not trying to diminish your opinion or anything, but I had a feeling you'd enjoy this because it's far more of a Black Future vibe than OI was. If you have any production questions for the instruments, as I recorded all the guitars and bass myself, I'd be happy to answer. I would recommend multiple spins of course, it is a prog album, and prog albums take a few listens to really digest everything going on.

Anyhow, I just wanted to drop by and give my utmost thanks to everyone for listening. You guys are the fucking best around, and nothing's gonna ever keep ya down (pardon the bad attempt at a joke.)

-Erik

Hits total: 43510 | This month: 152