Metal Storm logo
Solos: Slayer vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by , 21.03.2007 - 19:41
I've included two soloists from each band incase some people feel that the solos from other members of the band or former members were of greater stature. My opinion on this is that the two bands were the best of their time in the fact that they both are very inspiring and influential, but the solos from each band couldnt be more different. Slayers solos were more focused on the speed and darker sound of the solos. While Metallica wanted solos that were going to focus more on the whole sound of the piece and would be more towards the styles of classical musicians such as Bach or Mozart. What I mean by that is that Metallica wanted their solos to be understood and heard clearly through and through. Not to say anything bad about Slayer but the fact that Metallicas solos are far more clear just gives me this impression. So, what are your thoughts on this? Who had the best solos, Slayer or Metallica?

Poll

Best Solos From These Two 80's thrash bands? [Metallica vs Slayer]

Metallica [Kirk Hammet]
Metallica [Dave Mustaine]
Slayer [Kerry King]
Slayer [Jeff Hanneman]

Total votes: 243
11.04.2007 - 00:36
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Can't believe what i'm seeing . Kirk Hammet is good, but out've those four guitarests he's with out a doubt the worst and most overated. Dave Mustaine owns him in ever sense of the world Metallica fans, lol.

Anyways I voted for Jeff because I love the styles of his solos, second I guess Dave because he's probably the most talented guitarest mentioned as far as solos go.
14.04.2007 - 06:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Putting Dave Mustaine on there is cheating, hes the only reason anyone would vote for Metalica

Just kidding, I find alot of Slayer solos pretty lame, and im not too familiar with any Metalica other than the first 2 or 3 albums.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.04.2007 - 04:12
-Valhalla-

I voted for Mustaine because he's by far the best of the four even though he's in megadeth. but if i had to choose in between Slayer's off tempo chaotic solos (A Good Thing) or Metallica's (Kirk Hammett's) Wah abusing cookie cutter solos, Slayer by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
20.04.2007 - 20:18
Spirit Crusher
Account deleted
Hmmm tough one but my vote goes for Kirk Hammet all though I find Slayer's music more appealing. The reason for my vote was because that Kirk Hammet's talent and skill for solos far surpasses that of Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman. Aswell well as Dave Mustaine in that regard excluding his ability for making kick ass riffs, which wipes the floor with all of them. So come to think about it, they all cancel each other out.
20.04.2007 - 20:25
Spirit Crusher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.04.2007 at 00:36

Can't believe what i'm seeing . Kirk Hammet is good, but out've those four guitarests he's with out a doubt the worst and most overated.

I would put up a well articulated arguement against your post then I saw that you'r only 14. So what the fuck would you know?
20.04.2007 - 20:45
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.04.2007 at 20:25

Can't believe what i'm seeing . Kirk Hammet is good, but out've those four guitarests he's with out a doubt the worst and most overated.

I would put up a well articulated arguement against your post then I saw that you'r only 14. So what the fuck would you know?
Ahah. I agree with you that the comment about Hammet is completely wrong, but age has nothing to do with it. Some people are just ignorant of talent and only judge bands as far as how much they like them. And he/she probably likes Slayer more then Metallica which is why they chose someone from Slayer. And to go off of what you said in your other post, Slayer does appeal to me more also. But when it comes to solos Metallica would kill Slayer.
21.04.2007 - 01:35
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted

LOL!, i think your talking about my age because you have nothing to say, and i'm 14, so what? if you claim that you have such a good arguement type it instead of putting a stupid comment like that.

Metallica's best solos were in Kill Em All when Mustaine was part of the group, and if i had a nickel for everytime i've heard some Metallica fan (like you) state or imply that Kirk Hammet is a guitar god because of the "ok" solos in Ride The Lightening, i'd be rich as hell. Slayers guitarests are better then him because their solos are "different" then work done by other bands and it's enjoyable. I know this isn't part of the arguement but a lot of the songs in Rust In Peace have better solos and all around better guitar work then Kirk Hammet has ever done. (listen to Hanger 18 before praising Kirk Hammet)
21.04.2007 - 01:51
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Ahah. I agree with you that the comment about Hammet is completely wrong, but age has nothing to do with it. Some people are just ignorant of talent and only judge bands as far as how much they like them. And he/she probably likes Slayer more then Metallica which is why they chose someone from Slayer. And to go off of what you said in your other post, Slayer does appeal to me more also. But when it comes to solos Metallica would kill Slayer.

Actualy both appeal to me, Slayer's my favourite band but Metallica's my second favourite (very close race though), but I have always loved Slayers style more, Mustaine is the superior Metallica guitarest and probably the most talented of the four being discussed. I've just always thought that metallica has apealing guitaring not because of the talent of the one playing the riffs, but because of the riffs themselves which are composed by a talented man.
21.04.2007 - 01:56
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Well, I'm older than you and I agree with him. Hammet is overrated.
21.04.2007 - 14:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 21.04.2007 at 01:56

Well, I'm older than you and I agree with him. Hammet is overrated.

And I could be all you guys dad, and I also agree that Kirk Hammett is immensely overrated.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2007 - 00:50
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Like I said before. Age has nothing to do with this. Hammet is slightly overrated. But still the best out of the choices given.
30.04.2007 - 16:23
magick
Account deleted
Obviously Kirk, back in the day he was quite an awesome guitar player that played somw classic thrash riffs and could really do some amazing soloing. Dave Mustaine when he was with Metallica wasn't as technical or as good in that point of time as Kirk was or how he later became during his years with Megadeth. The guys from Slayer are very good guitar players that play some of the best rythms and have created some of the greatest thrashy riffs of all time. As far as soloing goes Slayer has their own distinct style focusing more on making the muddiest, most chaotic sounding solo as possible to fit their music rather than focus on traditional soloing as the 1980's Kirk did.
01.05.2007 - 20:44
ArchitectSupreme
Account deleted
I'm gonna go with Freedman and Mustaine on this one
02.05.2007 - 00:34
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Well, Mustaine did only few songs for Metallica, so I cant choose him, althoug Megadeth is band with my fav solos.
And theese days Metallica doesnt have solos at all, so in that case Id choose Slayer, but if you think older stuff, then I vote Metallica, Hammet. Maybe hes overrated, but still, those are good solos on first 4-5 albums.
----
02.05.2007 - 04:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Aren't most of Slayer's solos all off tune and mostly noise related? Metallica is planning on putting solos into their future releases...however, Slayer solos have a ton of feeling and character put into them...each one has it's own personality and such whereas a Metallica solo is generally based off of the same elements over and over again...not like Slayer at all...
12.06.2007 - 17:37
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
I voted Kirk Because, the solos have more structure and aren't all about how much crazy whammy you can use, Although slayer kick ass in general.

ImI
29.06.2007 - 16:36
Eternal Flame
Account deleted
Kerry King wild solos killing me!
02.07.2007 - 02:47
Varegan
Hamranakara
as you can see my face is just like kirk but I play guitar like jeff !!!!! and I love kery
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
26.10.2007 - 11:32
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Even though I'm a Slayer fan, I'd have to state that their solos kinda get on my nerves, because I'm mostly a "rythmic-in-tune" solo fan so I had to choose Dave Mustaine another reason is that I don't like Kirks solos, he is talented I have to say that, but I don't think that he is better than Dave, I like kirks riffs but not his solos, coz I think he is more of a "I'm fast so I do fast solos" type of guitarist, ignoring the fact that they sometimes sound like crap... no offence kirk fans
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
01.11.2007 - 14:55
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Jeff Hanneman for sure
kerry did some great solos as well of course but he comes close
Kirk Hammett did some. read: a few. good solos, bit more melodic. but he's gay
Dave Mustain
04.11.2007 - 00:49
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
I cannot vote, seeing as both are LAME in the solo department. Everyone jerks off to Slayer's solos, but they are so fucking random and pointless.....no music in them at all. It's easy as hell for a mediocre guitarist to learn how to just play random notes really fast, not even following scales or worrying about what key he's in.

Don't get me wrong, I love Slayer....they have sweet riffs, great songs altogether, and a terrific brutal vibe with some sweet lyrics and screams and shit....and fast talking lol. Slayer is a great band. The solos just suck.

Metallica I never liked. At all. Early stuff is ok but overrated. Later stuff is total shit. Solos? Don't even care enough to listen and give it any thought.
04.11.2007 - 03:57
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
of those guitarists, Dave Mustaine's solos are my favorite, Kirk Hammit is good too, as are KK and JH
05.11.2007 - 22:52
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.04.2007 at 14:50

And I could be all you guys dad, and I also agree that Kirk Hammett is immensely overrated.

@ some dude that commented about slayer solos: yes slayer solos are chaotic. but it doesnt mean that they never give it any attention. thats just simple minded, you just dont like the chaotic stuff
people outside of metal thinks metal isnt music because its chaotic, but we know better
27.11.2007 - 18:51
Smurfophagist

I would prefer Metallica's solos. Hammet's , to be precise. I love both Slayer and Metallica, but Slayer's extensive and chaotic use of whammy bar does not impress me too much. Even though i think that Jeff Hanneman is an amazing guitar player, better than Kerry King, in my opinion.
How can Kirk Hammet be overrated? On every single forum there are about 50 people constantly trashing Kirk Hammet, calling him overrated. He is one of world's best guitar players, and that is something i know how to respect.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
27.11.2007 - 23:39
bucky01403
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine

Lame list of players. Only voted Mustaine because of what he went on to be. His stuff with Metallica wasn't any better than Kirk's was. If we were talking rhythmically, Hanneman and King easily crush everyone as a guitar duo, but I don't what happened with their solos. Jeff has a few good ones.
28.11.2007 - 00:16
wrathchild

Well, I've always thought Slayer solos were, excuse me, shit. It's just fast nonsense playing of metal clichés. Especially those by Hanneman.
Thus, I voted for Hammet, who used to play solos that sounded metal and melodic at the same time (that's for his work on Ride, Master and Justice) even though I agree he is highly overrated.. Also, his playing evolved through time, even though I don't like the way it evolved.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
28.11.2007 - 06:19
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Metallica is waay better the solos of slayer are too simple , Metallica puts more feeling and effort on them
----
Stay Metal !!!
28.11.2007 - 14:27
Woutjinho
Account deleted
simple? I can play metallica solos but no Slayer solos
28.11.2007 - 15:16
Moeror

I think Kirk is better at solos, but Kerry and Mustaine are better at composing riffs.
----
On the plain lies an angel, dead
28.11.2007 - 21:36
Kharn
Account deleted
So disapointed with the lack of credit to jeff...some people not even mentioning him at all.
In my opinion it would be...

1. Jeff
2. Mustaine
3. King
4. Hammet