Metal Storm logo
Belphegor - Frontman Attacked By Orthodox Christian In Russia

Russia hasn't exactly been very friendly to certain metal bands, including Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth and more recently, Batushka as well. The latest victim was Belphegor, more specifically frontman Helmuth "Hel" Lehner who was spat on and attacked by a Christian Orthodox activist, Anatoly Artyukhov, at the airport in St. Petersburg in Russia. Belphegor arrived for a tour with Nile and Melechesh. You can watch the incident on the video below, where Nile's Karl Sanders helped calm down the situation.

Artyukh reportedly later claimed that Lehner assaulted him after mistaking his speech as aggression, a charge denied by a representative for Infinity Concert, which organized the St. Petersburg concert. "It's all lies and slander," the representative said. "There are surveillance cameras that captured the incident. We, most likely, will file a complaint with the police for hooliganism."

He also stated that there was a group of Christian activists picketing the arrival of the band because of their Satanic lyrics and ideology.

Source: en.news-4-u.ru
Band profile: Belphegor
Posted: 20.04.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 37   Visited by: 276 users
20.04.2016 - 19:25
Paz
elite
Skip to 5:00 for some action.
20.04.2016 - 19:55
WinterMadness
Karl's a big dude haha...good on him for keeping things from escalating. The Russian prick was obviously trying to bait Helmuth etc. into throwing the first punch so they could claim they were attacked while "peacefully protesting the evil music". Kinda dumb to claim Helmuth assaulted him when his own camera shows that's bullshit.
20.04.2016 - 20:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
And ppl sometimes accuse me to being an idiot when I am predicting such things happening there
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.04.2016 - 20:36
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 20.04.2016 at 20:21

And ppl sometimes accuse me to being an idiot when I am predicting such things happening there

Well, extremism isn't bound by country, so...entirely possible.
20.04.2016 - 20:51
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by LeKiwi on 20.04.2016 at 20:36

Russia has gone nuts ever since Putin revived former soviet aggressive foreign policies. Ever since Russia annexed Crimea, it has become a hub for insane nationalism, sometimes bordering fascism, partly religiously driven. You can expect more of this to happen, especially regarding high profile bands known for their satanic themes.
20.04.2016 - 20:56
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Whoops, just realised I misread Bad English's post...thought he said "here" rather than "there" and by "here" I thought he meant Sweden.
20.04.2016 - 21:20
To all russians fans, don't get me wrong, I know it's not your fault and you're victims as well as the band members themselves, but, how come all these bands with satanic or gore content still insist on playing gigs in this country? First, Behemoth ended up in jail and then Cannibal Corpse had one of their shows abruptly shortened to the end. Seriously, do these bands really need and count on the rider of these shows in Russia to make a living? If so, I truly understand and can figure out, why they're going through this embarassing situation! Other than that, It is a mystery, why they keep on touring in Russia.
20.04.2016 - 21:38
Andreas
Written by Annihilator- HH on 20.04.2016 at 21:20

To all russians fans, don't get me wrong, I know it's not your fault and you're victims as well as the band members themselves, but, how come all these bands with satanic or gore content still insist on playing gigs in this country? First, Behemoth ended up in jail and then Cannibal Corpse had one of their shows abruptly shortened to the end. Seriously, do these bands really need and count on the rider of these shows in Russia to make a living? If so, I truly understand and can figure out, why they're going through this embarassing situation! Other than that, It is a mystery, why they keep on touring in Russia.

Well, maybe these bands just want to play for their fans
20.04.2016 - 21:58
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Kudos to Karl for keeping it ice cool.
20.04.2016 - 23:22
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

I think this sort of music is a big deal in Russia...could be misinformed though.
20.04.2016 - 23:50
Opethian
Karl Sanders has a black belt. Ive seen him having to protect himself at a show once. Would not want to fuck with him haha!
21.04.2016 - 00:21
Necrotion7
This would be great with subtitles but either way I'm sure karl would have fucked that cunt up
21.04.2016 - 07:10
Lord_Regnier
I thought for an instant that Karl would hit the guy near the end. Good example of self-control. The asshole was really asking for it but Karl simply controlled him, no more.

Fucking religion. One of the biggest problem on Earth. I can't believe there are still people today to care so much for this bunch of lies to act like this.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
21.04.2016 - 08:53
Paz
elite
Written by 3rdWorld on 20.04.2016 at 21:58

Kudos to Karl for keeping it ice cool.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Karlabos and the absence of his popcorn
21.04.2016 - 12:14
Andreas
Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.04.2016 at 07:10

Fucking religion. One of the biggest problem on Earth.

I kind of expected someone to reply like this. But if you put it like this, I can only agree.
21.04.2016 - 14:46
Hellcult
If this wouldn't be Russia, he would have his ass kicked!!
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
21.04.2016 - 15:36
Nikpe
Account deleted
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 20.04.2016 at 20:51

Written by LeKiwi on 20.04.2016 at 20:36

Russia has gone nuts ever since Putin revived former soviet aggressive foreign policies. Ever since Russia annexed Crimea, it has become a hub for insane nationalism, sometimes bordering fascism, partly religiously driven. You can expect more of this to happen, especially regarding high profile bands known for their satanic themes.

Maybe Russian politics is not very good and some time aggressive, but in Russia living some good people, who waiting a concert and want listen musics too. Some times me and my friends think "why we living here?! In this country does not come to our favorite bands." We are not responsible for the behavior of those who run the country.
21.04.2016 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Here is the video with subtitles.

http://deadcenter666.com/antichrist/full-and-translated-10-minutes-video-belphegor-and-nile-were-attacked-by-russian-orthodox-fanatics/

From some what the guy is saying I'd say he is a Russian neo-Nazi. But then again loads of the Russian neo-Nazis say they are Russian Orhtodox religiously.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2016 - 15:42
Nikpe
Account deleted

I really hope they do not stop coming to Russia. We are waiting for 5-6 years concerts favorite bands and are willing to pay 100-200 dollars for a ticket, regardless of the ruble. if Russia will not be able to listen to good music, or we will die or flee from Russia. you take us to your country? in your home? I think no...
21.04.2016 - 15:45
Nikpe
Account deleted

I thought for an instant that Karl would hit the guy near the end. Good example of self-control. The asshole was really asking for it but Karl simply controlled him, no more.

Fucking religion. One of the biggest problem on Earth. I can't believe there are still people today to care so much for this bunch of lies to act like this.

Totally agree with you. Religion lies, which gives birth to only enmity and war. Karl did not descend to the level of Russian idiots. It is worthy of respect!
21.04.2016 - 16:02
@gent_-_orange
Karl handled the situation perfectly but where was the airport security when this was happening? I mean, the video is 10 minutes long.
21.04.2016 - 16:41
That was my thought on this issue! There was no security at all!
21.04.2016 - 17:07
Quote:
I really hope they do not stop coming to Russia. We are waiting for 5-6 years concerts favorite bands and are willing to pay 100-200 dollars for a ticket, regardless of the ruble. if Russia will not be able to listen to good music, or we will die or flee from Russia. you take us to your country? in your home? I think no...

Relax! I'm not blaming on you, the fans. As I stated before, you are the victims as well as the musicians, however, think about their situation, after all, they are coming to your country to work and play for you guys and a couple of bastards (once more I'm not saying all the Russians are dumb like this) act like primitives and ruin everything. To sum up, If I were on their shoes, I would really think twice before confirming a gig in Russia, being a member of a satanic or gore content band. You've gotta agree with me regarding these situations, which these bands are going through. After all, It's getting at least disrespectful or disgusting and also dangerous for them. No one wants to end up being in jail for nothing (blasphemy is not a crime in several countires). This is just common sense. Just my thought on this case.
21.04.2016 - 17:29
Nikpe
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Annihilator- HH on 21.04.2016 at 17:07

Relax! I'm not blaming on you, the fans. As I stated before, you are the victims as well as the musicians, however, think about their situation, after all, they are coming to your country to work and play for you guys and a couple of bastards (once more I'm not saying all the Russians are dumb like this) act like primitives and ruin everything. To sum up, If I were on their shoes, I would really think twice before confirming a gig in Russia, being a member of a satanic or gore content band. You've gotta agree with me regarding these situations, which these bands are going through. After all, It's getting at least disrespectful or disgusting and also dangerous for them. No one wants to end up being in jail for nothing (blasphemy is not a crime in several countires). This is just common sense. Just my thought on this case.

I agree that it is dangerous for the groups. Then can ease the visa regime for people who come to Europe for concerts?;)
21.04.2016 - 18:13
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Guest on 21.04.2016 at 15:36

Maybe Russian politics is not very good and some time aggressive, but in Russia living some good people, who waiting a concert and want listen musics too. Some times me and my friends think "why we living here?! In this country does not come to our favorite bands." We are not responsible for the behavior of those who run the country.

Now don't get me wrong. I know that there are sane people there too. Its just that before the war in Ukraine, Russia has been, more or less peaceful, both with other countries and within. Ever since then extreme nationalism has been reignited and it causes havoc.
21.04.2016 - 21:31
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 21.04.2016 at 18:13

Now don't get me wrong. I know that there are sane people there too. Its just that before the war in Ukraine, Russia has been, more or less peaceful, both with other countries and within. Ever since then extreme nationalism has been reignited and it causes havoc.

Didn't we have a similar situation when Noua Dreapta (ro. The New Right) (a left wing orthodox group) threatened Marduk for playing in club Fabrica in Bucharest which is very close to the seat of the Patriarchy?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
21.04.2016 - 21:32
Lord_Regnier
Written by Guest on 21.04.2016 at 15:45

Totally agree with you. Religion lies, which gives birth to only enmity and war. Karl did not descend to the level of Russian idiots. It is worthy of respect!

Karl Sanders is an intelligent man. I had lots of esteem for him long before I became a Nile fan. He didn't want to get himself into trouble. He is very careful with laws and such. For example, he already mentioned on the Nile forum that if someone suggests to use something in a Nile song, he will make sure not to use it, to avoid being sued. I've always seen him as a cool and peaceful guy. However, he's not a guy I would try to make angry. He's a big man who looks strong and quite able to defend himself. Not the kind of man you want to provoke. Especially if, like someone else mentioned, he has a Black Belt.

I believe if he hadn't intervened, it would have probably gotten ugly.

As for religion, my point is I strongly believe it causes much more problems than it can solve. And for that reason, I think the world would be better without it.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
21.04.2016 - 21:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

my post was nothing about ppl
Russia-state, political structure , not people

If I would have a band I would not go ... you never know what leaders can do .... same like I never would go to Saudi, and risk areas
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.04.2016 - 09:12
Nikpe
Account deleted
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 21.04.2016 at 18:13

I live in Moscow, and fortunately, I do not see manifestations of nationalism. There are people absolutely crazy about religion that is already a mental illness, but the nationalists saw. Whether it appears in certain places, or there is a fierce media war between the two countries. For example, on Russian websites constantly publishes news about how the US school shooting. But neither I nor my friends do not believe it. I'll go better for such a forum and ask the people who are like me, who listen to the same music that have similar views on life.
22.04.2016 - 09:23
Nikpe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 21.04.2016 at 21:46

my post was nothing about ppl
Russia-state, political structure , not people

If I would have a band I would not go ... you never know what leaders can do .... same like I never would go to Saudi, and risk areas

Now about three thousand people wrote a statement to the police that Belphegor insulted. All my friends are not afraid of the consequences of writing to the prosecutor with the requirement to publicly apologize and stop banning concerts. Many people think about the response and want to follow in the footsteps Varg Vikernes . In Russia, in some cases you can go to jail for what you unflattering comments about the government or religion in social networks.

You can not imagine how there becomes terrible. It formed a special president's army, which shall have the right to break into the house without permission. It does not respect personal opinions and the right to property. The Constitution for our government and president- it's toilet paper. But we are doing everything in our power to stop that bad attitude to our favorite bands. We are fighting for their right to listen to good music. While peacefully, but if you continue to prohibit the concerts, I'm sure, will start riots.

Hits total: 6423 | This month: 19