Metal Storm logo
Mastodon - Working On Double Album

Here's an update on Mastodon's new album. To follow Once More 'Round The Sun (2014), the band is planning a double album, according to guitarist/vocalist Brent Hinds. He told Guitar World that he is busy preparing Giraffe Tongue Orchestra for their live shows and forthcoming full-length debut and Mastodon are also working on their next record.

"It's shaping up to be a double album," says the guitarist. "One is an album I wrote myself, and recorded with [drummer] Brann [Dailor] and [bassist/vocalist] Troy [Sanders] during the Once More 'Round The Sun sessions. My part is called Cold Dark Place, and it has to do with a nasty breakup that I went through. I wrote some pretty dark, beautiful, spooky, funky, ethereal, melancholy music, which also sounds like the Bee Gees a little bit. [laughs]"

"The other guys are writing another album, which I haven't even heard yet so I can't tell you what it sounds like. But I'll come in to give some noodle-y leads here and there. And for sure I'll be recording with my new signature Flying V...while standing on top of a chair with a werewolf mask on. And that's not a joke; I really do that. I never sit down to record. You can't sit down and play a Flying V, everyone knows that."

Source: guitarworld.com
Band profile: Mastodon
Posted: 28.06.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   Visited by: 170 users
28.06.2016 - 13:18
JayMo4

So different members of the band basically broke off into groups and wrote each album separately.... This is going to be interesting.

Based on the description, the two are gonna sound fairly different from each other. I'll bet we wind up with some polarized opinions of how well they pulled it off.
28.06.2016 - 14:32
zikon

Let's hope it'll be better than Dream Theater's double album lol. Looking forward on hearing the new Mastodon stuff
----
"The poetry of the earth is never dead" John Keats
28.06.2016 - 15:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
What is all this shit with double and triple albums lately? Seriously. If you can't make each disc have a significantly different sound, stop jumping on the bandwagon
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
28.06.2016 - 16:13
MyNameJeff

I trust Mastodon that they will deliver some cool stuff! Pretty excited.
28.06.2016 - 16:27
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
It looks to me like two albums will be vastly differed.

One will be metal

Other will be non-metal.
28.06.2016 - 16:28
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 28.06.2016 at 16:27

Other will be non-metal.

It will probably be a drone instrumental album
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.06.2016 - 18:12
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
This will either be amazing or terrible. It's a 50/50. My confidence is never too high when members are also busy with other projects.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
28.06.2016 - 18:30
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Nothing like getting bored for an extra 40 unnecessary minutes.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.06.2016 - 22:17
sbgmetal

Aint nobody wanna hear about his nasty break up
29.06.2016 - 08:01
SlapTap

Brent Hinds is a douchebag. He's a drunk who picks fights and puts down his fans. How much does it reek of egotism to insist that one half of a double album is music entirely composed by one member of a band?
30.06.2016 - 17:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Vaguely intriguing and disconcerting.

at least the two are coming from completely different places/points so each should have their own vibe/sound. i imagine Mastodon might be a little more crunchy with Brann, Trey and Mullet Bill while Brent's portion will be decidedly less metal, if interviews with him are any indicator.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.07.2016 - 05:22
Desert Father

I was in the vain hope that it would be a return to Crack the Skye style but it seems like it's just going to be more Torche worship.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
02.07.2016 - 11:40
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Very intriguing indeed.
06.07.2016 - 23:45
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Desert Father on 02.07.2016 at 05:22

I was in the vain hope that it would be a return to Crack the Skye style but it seems like it's just going to be more Torche worship.

My favorite style of theirs is the stuff from the first two albums, but I know that's never gonna happen again--after those my next favorite would be Crack the Skye, which their newest stuff is closer to, so I'm always hoping in vain that they'll do something like that again, as well.
----

Hits total: 3088 | This month: 13