Metal Storm logo
Marilyn Manson

Original post

Posted by , 05.04.2007 - 18:14
I'm sure a lot of you have dismissed him as being either an Alice Cooper and/or David Bowie rip off (I won't deny that he has tried to be both of these people before) or an annoying idol for the mallcore types to bow down to, but to me he is an artist. He's quite intelligent actually; did you know he is a member of Mensa? Yes yes, he also was a Reverend in the Church of Satan and considered Anton LaVey to be his mentor, but I wouldn't consider him to be a LaVeyan Satanist since he also said he frequented the library and the local Blockbuster more than the Church of Satan and appears to have an eclectic belief system from what I can tell.

My favorite albums from him are probably the first two: "Portrait of an American Family" and "Antichrist Superstar". His debut album is quite different than what came later since Daisy Berkowitz, the original guitarist and co-founder of the band (they were originally called Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids) contributed a lot to the songwriting and thus there are some solos here and there and the album has a more "fun" feel to it compared to the later releases which are obviously more dark and serious.

I can think of a lot of reasons why I also like "Antichrist Superstar". The concept of the worm to angel metamorphosis is pretty interesting and it's a pretty heavy album with songs such as "Angel with the Scabbed Wings", "1996", and "Irresponsible Hate Anthem" but finishes out with the melancholic number "Man That You Fear". I also just liked the band era in general since Zim Zum was in the band, who is also a talented guitarist; I still miss Daisy but he was a worthy successor (don't get me wrong, I like John 5 too).

So I hope there are some of you out there who are fans. To me, there's a lot more behind the band and the man than just the shock value and makeup.
17.05.2009 - 05:40
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Written by jupitreas on 15.05.2009 at 15:08

Alice Cooper, WASP, GWAR, Rob Zombie - what do all these bands have in common? They play rock/metal music with a lot of additional 'distractions' thrown in. Its called shock rock and it is common for bands of this style to have elements of industrial, electronica, dance, jazz, swing, whatever. It simply adds bombast to the show and is part of the game in shock rock imo.

And for this exact reason I wouldn't call Manson industrial. Sure, there are industrial elements here and there but MM is predominantly a shock rock band. Nothing wrong with shock rock, mind you, I just think its a distinction that a lot of people are not aware of.

It is true; however, that Manson's initial audience was similar to that of the popular industrial metal bands at the time, which does at least mean that he can be seen as belonging to the scene, if not to the genre itself.

I'll agree on people not being aware of shock rock enough as a scene.

Although I'm confused....
First you said:
"And for this exact reason I wouldn't call Manson industrial. Sure, there are industrial elements here and there but MM is predominantly a shock rock band. Nothing wrong with shock rock, mind you, I just think its a distinction that a lot of people are not aware of."
Then you said:
"It is true; however, that Manson's initial audience was similar to that of the popular industrial metal bands at the time, which does at least mean that he can be seen as belonging to the scene, if not to the genre itself."

I got the feeling that'd sound different than it is written but I gotta ask on clarity here a bit.
So did MM start industrial then go to shock rock, are they both or are they just industrial?

From the 1st thing you wrote you said they were not industrial. Then you said they were.
----
17.05.2009 - 05:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
He did not say they were. he said they were associated with the scene - not that they played industrial music.

back in the day i used to hang out at the goth club with some of my goth friends. i was a punk/metalhead. hanging out with them didn't make me goth, but made me part of their scene.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.05.2009 - 05:50
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Exactly.
17.05.2009 - 06:44
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Okay cool, just looking for clarity on what was said.
----
26.05.2009 - 17:20
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Listened to his new album, The High End of Low, yesterday. It is a big step in the right direction. To me it's somewhere between Mechanical Animals and Holywood. The return of Twiggy Ramirez on bass and guitar is a major strong point for the album as he brings back a sound of the past. I also like the way Manson experiments on this album edging towards blues at times. Some of the tunes are pretty catchy and I found myself singing along immediately. However, I am not saying this is Manson back to his best. The album does seem to drag on with 15 songs lasting for the most between 4 and five minutes and two decent but long songs in the middle of the album (6:25 and 9:01 minutes). I think time will tell if this album is really as good as it first lets off. Will have to see if I listen to it again or simply become bored of it.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
28.05.2009 - 11:35
Hamird
Lieutenant
Well I'm gonna get it, since I really like Twiggy Ramirez.. And I respect his power in both performance and composing songs.. In Antichrist Superstar he created awesome songs with Reznor.
31.05.2009 - 17:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
There are some cool songs, but overall I never care for this band. Listen to The Fight Song, Beautiful People and other famous. Not a big deal.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
05.06.2009 - 14:44
AbdelioR

I listened the new album and I found it a bit boring and without the "touch". It's true that with "The High End of Low" Manson has chosen the old style, and this are good news, but I did expect more I think. I'll give it another chance in a while because I can be wrong..
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
09.07.2009 - 11:31
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
It's not impossible for me to listen to his songs and I don't turn the channel, if one of them is played on the radio, but I wouldn't buy an album. I saw him live in Hellfest and even though I expected something freaky, I obviously wasn't prepared well enough. I just wonder who wants to work with him gig after gig and tour after tour, since he treats those crew members like crap. I hope it's just "part of the show", but I wouldn't be so sure about that...

In my opinion all his non-musical extra show elements take too much attention from his music. The first thing to think about when you hear the words "Marilyn Manson" is not some great song from him, but rather "did he really have a couple of his ribs removed?" Besides, I was surprised about how fat he actually was. I guess he's seen his best days.
----
You'll never walk alone.
09.07.2009 - 12:18
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Ernotar on 09.07.2009 at 11:31

It's not impossible for me to listen to his songs and I don't turn the channel, if one of them is played on the radio, but I wouldn't buy an album. I saw him live in Hellfest and even though I expected something freaky, I obviously wasn't prepared well enough. I just wonder who wants to work with him gig after gig and tour after tour, since he treats those crew members like crap. I hope it's just "part of the show", but I wouldn't be so sure about that...

In my opinion all his non-musical extra show elements take too much attention from his music. The first thing to think about when you hear the words "Marilyn Manson" is not some great song from him, but rather "did he really have a couple of his ribs removed?" Besides, I was surprised about how fat he actually was. I guess he's seen his best days.

In my opinion most he does is part of his show.. I don't know, I don't like his personality as much as I like some of his works.. Of course that's because of Twiggy that I like their music.
When I hear the word Marilyn Manson I remind The Beautiful People which was my childhood favorite song.
14.07.2009 - 05:29
Evil Chip

Just discovered this thread by putting marilyn manson in the search bar and I'm pretty surprised that are lots of metalheads that like Marilyn Manson like myself. I can say that he has to be one of my favourist lyricist along with Roger Waters and Maynard James Keenan. As for the music I haven't heard it all but Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals has to be my favourites. I also like the fact that he seems to be (well.. maybe not any longer) like a virus that infected the mainstream media adding to it more content and rebelion in his own heteredox way, like it was used in the old times with importants guys like John Lennon, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, that had something to say the world, something to be against with a reason not like today. About the new album I'm not disapointed at all but this is not a Marilyn Manson album I think, It's more like a Bryan Warner album just like Eat Me and Drink me was. I really loved the lyrics and the music of the slower songs like Into the Fire, Running to the Edge of the World and 15 speacially. Didn´t like a lot the new single.
03.08.2009 - 06:03
wormdrink414

I have little "beef" (as that semi-physical existence called "they" says) with Marilyn Manson. That being stated however, I see little or no metal in what he does.
15.08.2009 - 20:48
Deadlove
Account deleted
I always thought Manson was at his best when he had a band behind him. That means "Portrait..." and "Antichrist..." - even tho the latter is where the band really was becoming just him and less of an actual band composing and playing songs.
17.08.2009 - 14:07
DevilBabi

Eat me Drink me - 10/10 definitely for that Was awesome all round. I really can't think of one song that i don't adore or love to pieces.
The High End of Low. Hhhmmm. I am loving it, I'm still to dissect it further....
Oh and before i go,
24.09.2009 - 13:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
Even though I hate this band and is forced to hear them on a daily basis (my mom is a huge fan) I still think they deserve a page here at MS.
----
24.09.2009 - 21:22
SerratedSyringe

Written by Warman on 24.09.2009 at 13:14

Even though I hate this band and is forced to hear them on a daily basis (my mom is a huge fan) I still think they deserve a page here at MS.

Ha ha your mom is into Manson?! That is so funny! I've never been a big fan, but I do like their cover of "This is Halloween". "Rock is Dead" is a pretty good song too.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
25.09.2009 - 11:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by SerratedSyringe on 24.09.2009 at 21:22

Ha ha your mom is into Manson?! That is so funny! I've never been a big fan, but I do like their cover of "This is Halloween". "Rock is Dead" is a pretty good song too.

Yeah, she's 44 and wears Marilyn Manson shirts and plays the music loud. I don't care, I guess I'll be the same at her age. But listening to better bands.
----
25.09.2009 - 15:21
SerratedSyringe

Written by Warman on 25.09.2009 at 11:21

Written by SerratedSyringe on 24.09.2009 at 21:22

Yeah, she's 44 and wears Marilyn Manson shirts and plays the music loud. I don't care, I guess I'll be the same at her age. But listening to better bands.

That's pretty cool, actually. I wish my mom was like that.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
18.10.2009 - 04:58
☭ Mr. S ☭
Owner of the DSA
Isin't it funny how last night I put Manson in the suggested bands, and this morrning they make a blacklist and Manson is on it?
----
Seize the weed of production!
10.03.2010 - 05:54
☭ Mr. S ☭
Owner of the DSA
Thought Id bring this up to all the Manson fans; John 5 is not yet on the site, and is currently in the suggested bands list. Lets get him on here, so go out and vote.

Search "John 5" in this link:
http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/band_suggestions.php
----
Seize the weed of production!
15.04.2010 - 16:53
Kennoth

Written by ☭ Mr. S &#9773 on 10.03.2010 at 05:54

Thought Id bring this up to all the Manson fans; John 5 is not yet on the site, and is currently in the suggested bands list. Lets get him on here, so go out and vote.

Search "John 5" in this link:
http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/band_suggestions.php

One should also vote for Dope, they deserve the access.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
11.05.2012 - 08:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Randy Blythe Rant against the MM's new album and its sales over here.
11.05.2012 - 15:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 11.05.2012 at 08:09

Wow, Randy's so knowledgeable and aware. -_-
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.05.2012 - 23:13
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.05.2012 at 15:12

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 11.05.2012 at 08:09

Wow, Randy's so knowledgeable and aware. -_-

Haven't checked out Born Villan yet, I had it on hold but after reading this I gotta put it on immediately.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
12.05.2014 - 06:40
Schizoid6.6

I'll admit I favor him a lot. Not sure I would call him metal, more like blackened industrial shock rock if there be such a thing. Don't tend to argue if he is put under 'alt metal.' But Manson has never called himself metal, just simply a rock band. That would be up to the critics and listeners to label everything.

I probably favor him more as an artist though than a musician. He's not referencing anyone anymore than most music acts do. Everyone seems to be living in someone elses shadow, few are ever truly original. There's something about him I always found intriquing and captivating. I met him last summer at a meet and greet. He plays around a lot and cracks me the hell up, a nice cool guy in person.

I enjoyed his last album, but his live act is drying up. Never really cared for his live acts anyway. It's usually been a bunch of trashy sideshow bullshit as an attempt to be as shocking as possible. He's toned it down a bit now, you probably won't see him with his shirt off anymore (might be a good thing). But he just screams incoherent shit into the mic, slurring everything. It seems rare ever to see him sober. He's either no longer into or way too into it. Fortunately I was too drunk at his last show to really notice.

Anyway, I can understand why most metalheads wouldn't be into him. Much of his stuff comes off far too simple, repetitive, cliched and commercial. It's ok, I don't think he was ever trying to be too 'brutal' with his music initially. He's probably the only one in his category I listen to, and maybe some Nine Inch Nails.
12.05.2014 - 14:58
theFIST

Written by Schizoid6.6 on 12.05.2014 at 06:40

I'll admit I favor him a lot. Not sure I would call him metal, more like blackened industrial shock rock if there be such a thing.

blackened?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
13.05.2014 - 16:30
Schizoid6.6

Written by theFIST on 12.05.2014 at 14:58

I'll admit I favor him a lot. Not sure I would call him metal, more like blackened industrial shock rock if there be such a thing.

blackened?

Yeah believe it or not, he's actually used blackened themes in a number of his songs. I guess you need to listen to him to understand.
13.05.2014 - 17:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Schizoid6.6 on 13.05.2014 at 16:30
Yeah believe it or not, he's actually used blackened themes in a number of his songs. I guess you need to listen to him to understand.

As someone who has listened to (almost) the entire Manson discography and a ton of black metal, I'd really like to know what these "blackened themes" are. Aside from the fact he wears makeup and has an anti-Christian (or anti-religious) stance, there really isn't anything to connect him with black metal at all.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.05.2014 - 17:28
theFIST

Written by Schizoid6.6 on 13.05.2014 at 16:30

Written by theFIST on 12.05.2014 at 14:58

blackened?

Yeah believe it or not

option 2
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
13.05.2014 - 20:05
Schizoid6.6

^Yeah well, disbelief doesn't necessarily make something not true. And gravity's only a theory right? Anyway, in this case, I guess I was thinking more in ideology not music. But if everyone here must get super technical, fine he's not. His reputation, however, has been constantly blackened.