Metal Storm logo
Thrash Recommendations

14.04.2007 - 06:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Ok, I searched and I dont think I could find a topi to recommend/discuss thrash. Why Im posting this thread is because I must admit that there are very few thrash bands out there that dont bore me, these few would be bands like Megadeth, Sodom, and Kreator. I really enjoy Hybrid thrash though (thrash mixed with another genre) I.E. Keep Of Kalessin, black metal but highly thrash-like aswell. So particularly I would like to hear some recommendations on hybrid thrash, but feel free to recommend straight-up thrash aswell just to keep the topic open.

BTW- Please try and make the recommendations useful, dont recommend bands that Ive likely already heard, like Slayer or Metalica.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.04.2007 - 06:18
APOHAKC
The Bard
Aura Noir man, awesome band man, fucking trash metal...
Beside that Annihilator, Nuclear Assault, Heller, Holy Moses, they are my favorites
but you probably already know them...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
14.04.2007 - 06:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Aronax

Lol, Actually the only ones Ive heard are Annihilator, Nuclear Assault, and I think I may have heard Holy Moses but im not sure.
----
- George Carlin
14.04.2007 - 06:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This thread should help you - http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3095

I recommend Sabbat, Morbid Saint, Helstar, Agent Steel, Dark Angel (a fucking must), Tankard, Wargasm (I hope you looked at that thread), Forbidden, Intruder, and Toxic.

And, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the first Blind Guardian album is speed/thrash metal...and it's pretty fast. You should check it out.
14.04.2007 - 07:00
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Listen to Gwar lol (not unless you need to laugh though).

Other good underated bands that I love are Testament and Exodus which more people should listen too (both are much better then mainstream bands like Metallica). Other then that I recomend Master, Terrorizer, Carnal Forge and Dark Angel.
14.04.2007 - 07:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
^^^ The new Gwar album is an awesome piece of thrash. It's probably one of their best albums, if not the best.
14.04.2007 - 07:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@pyroleprechaun
Thanks man, that thread was pretty helpful

Oh one thing I forgot to mention in the first post is if people could offer a small discription or something of the bands they recommend, since I dont download and I would like to know what to expect before I buy a CD.
----
- George Carlin
14.04.2007 - 07:10
spirit_inblack
harshhead
You've likely heard of these bands, but how about Overkill, Destruction, Exhorder, and Sadus. They are all pretty great and fairly well known thrash bands. Hellhammer play some blacky-thrash as well. I don't know if you've heard of these bands or not, but if you haven't you should check them out.
14.04.2007 - 07:39
Mega-Slayer

Yeah you must look into "Darkness Descends" by Dark Angel,and if you want hybrid thrash here are death/thrash bands you should check out:
Devastation
Master
Deathstrike
Ressurection
Thanatos
Demolition Hammer
Solstice
Agressor(france)
Loudblast
Massacra
Vader
Possessed
Incubus
Slaughter(canada)
Early Death,Sepultura and Malevolent Creation

that should keep you busy
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
14.04.2007 - 07:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'd also recommend Detente. As you might already know, Detente has badass female vocals performed by Dawn Crosby, which make them sound original.

Oh, and Death Angel is one of my favorite bands, but I'm sure you've heard them.
15.04.2007 - 18:29
Kaamos
Account deleted
In case you haven't, be sure to check out Deströyer 666 (black/thrash).

Here's an unofficial myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=109377258
15.04.2007 - 19:51
Kurzag
Account deleted
Hmm.... I can recommend some black/thrash:

Absu: Have a lot of folk influences. Mostly celtic, but also Mesopotamian/Sumerian mythology
Hellhammer: One of the founders of the black metal genre.
16.04.2007 - 12:14
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Guest on 15.04.2007 at 19:51

Hellhammer: One of the founders of the black metal genre.

This band is amazing , some of the finest creation .... its a gift for us

I guess Aura Noir and Occult is been already discussed ( both thrash-black ).
16.04.2007 - 13:04
Throne of Rats

Written by Mega-Slayer on 14.04.2007 at 07:39

Yeah you must look into "Darkness Descends" by Dark Angel,and if you want hybrid thrash here are death/thrash bands you should check out:
Devastation
Master
Deathstrike
Ressurection
Thanatos
Demolition Hammer
Solstice
Agressor(france)
Loudblast
Massacra
Vader
Possessed
Incubus
Slaughter(canada)
Early Death,Sepultura and Malevolent Creation

that should keep you busy

Incubus?? You can't be serious, unless its not the one im thinking of
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
16.04.2007 - 17:25
APOHAKC
The Bard
Wow, I forgot Sadus, it is one of the best trash bands, but they release only few albums...

@Mega Slayer - Thanatos is real awesome band, everyone should listen to this band. They are on scene for a very long time and thet were among first (yeah) death metal bands in Europe... Despite very good albums they stayed in deep UG but Stephan and co are still here and they released new album some time ago... check them you won't regret
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
16.04.2007 - 18:15
Mega-Slayer

I was referring to the Incubus,now known as Opprobrium,fronted by the Howard brothers.I finally got around to acquiring "Beyond The Unknown" around a month ago,highly recommend it!A death/thrash classic,frantic solos and drum work.
----

17.04.2007 - 15:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Well having seen them last Sunday play in Belgium I can still recommend Destructor, Maximum Destruction is an awesme thrash album. Another great band (also played last Sunday in Belgium) is Laaz Rockitespecially their Know Your Enemy and Annihilation Principle albums. But to be 100% honest they kick more ass live than on albums.

For fans of the immortal Dawn Crosby check out Fear Of God's debut album Within The Veil.

I'll get back on this topic of thrash recommendations in more detail coming Thursday.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2007 - 15:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I just got the following picture taken by Thryce after Destructor finished playing, this was taken during the Laaz Rockit set of me with Pat Rabid of Destructor

----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2007 - 18:17
Stormheart
Account deleted
Ill say what im listening,maybe youll find something.
Kreator
Sodom
Destruction
Testament
Tankard
Nuclear Assault
Annihilator
Razor
Flotsam & Jetsam

Im not into trash that much but its great music.
18.04.2007 - 16:53
LadyThrash
Account deleted
has no one mentioned Exciter??? my favourite band ever... New testament is a sweeeet album..
18.04.2007 - 18:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
I highly reccomend the three first Celtic Frost albums, especially for those who enjoy hybrid Thrash.
----
19.04.2007 - 15:18
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I don't listen too much Thrash Metal, so i'm not very into this subgenre. Pratically, i just listen to the most known bands like "Slayer", although the only thrash metal band "less known" (for me) that i listen is "Dew-Scented", you probably know this band. I think that they have good material, and a curious thing is that all of their albums, start with the letter "I". I also listen randomly a bit of :"The Haunted" and "Chimaira", but imo they are not as good as "Dew-Scented". That's my reccomendation, if i didn't help, i'm sorry
26.04.2007 - 11:54
A.J Thunder

Does Onslaught ring any bells for anyone?
Ive only heard one song from them wich was Let there be death but when i heard this song i was like "wow this guys are better than slayer.
Dont know if they go into the Thrash genre (hard to say after one song) but at least this one was 100% old school thrash that makes you go out on the street to beat up some glam rockers.

-Nocturanal-
26.04.2007 - 12:23
FOOCK Nam

Carnal Forge, is my recommend. I heard about Onslaught, but dont remember they classified as death or thrash... Im really into thrash like Old Metallica, but its rare to find a similar guitar like Kirk and Cliff for bass...
26.04.2007 - 12:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by A.J Thunder on 26.04.2007 at 11:54

Does Onslaught ring any bells for anyone?
Ive only heard one song from them wich was Let there be death but when i heard this song i was like "wow this guys are better than slayer.
Dont know if they go into the Thrash genre (hard to say after one song) but at least this one was 100% old school thrash that makes you go out on the street to beat up some glam rockers.

-Nocturanal-

Onslaught go into thrash for the full 100% no doubt about that and yeah they are quite good especially The Force and Killing Peace.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2007 - 14:01
A.J Thunder

Exodus is another band worth checking out at least their older material for example BONDED BY BLOOD!
28.04.2007 - 06:56
McGintoy
Account deleted
If you don't have Testament's "The Legacy" and "The New Order", go get them. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. They are along the same lines as Metallica's older stuff, except much more aggressive.

Possessed's "Seven Churches" is a classic. It's a fast, aggressive combination of Thrash/Death/Black Metal. The recording quality is not the greatest, but that just adds to the listening experience.

Anything by Master is great. The easiest album to find is "Four More Years of Terror". They play some great Death Metal riffs with the fast, frantic Thrash drumming. This album, although fairly new, is a masterpiece that I believe anyone who likes Death or Thrash Metal should own.

And yes, Onslaught. Any album will do. They are a prime example of Thrash Metal at its finest.

McGintoy
28.04.2007 - 08:26
Mega-Slayer

Written by Guest on 28.04.2007 at 06:56

If you don't have Testament's "The Legacy" and "The New Order", go get them. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. They are along the same lines as Metallica's older stuff, except much more aggressive.

Possessed's "Seven Churches" is a classic. It's a fast, aggressive combination of Thrash/Death/Black Metal. The recording quality is not the greatest, but that just adds to the listening experience.

Anything by Master is great. The easiest album to find is "Four More Years of Terror". They play some great Death Metal riffs with the fast, frantic Thrash drumming. This album, although fairly new, is a masterpiece that I believe anyone who likes Death or Thrash Metal should own.

And yes, Onslaught. Any album will do. They are a prime example of Thrash Metal at its finest.

McGintoy

Yeah I agree with all of your recommendations,"Four More Years Of Terror" is really an awesome album.Despite being released in 04' it is totally old school style,you can always count on Paul to compose classic thrash and death metal.
----

03.11.2007 - 16:47
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Three more bands. Evile, Nocturnal Breed and Abandoned . Evile is a thrash band hailing from England, they recently released their first full-length "Enter The Grave", a good start imo. Nocturnal Breed is a black/thrash band from Norway (this band is my favorite between these three), they also released a new album called "Fields Of Rot", i liked a lot this album, it's full of energy. I have to check their previous material. Finally "Abandoned", a german band that plays "pure" thrash, with three enjoyable albums released (the last one was released this year too).
03.11.2007 - 20:31
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
To add something a little more, I really dig thrash fusion genres, like....

death/thrash!!!! You'll love the shit....

Bands like:
Protector
Demolition Hammer
Morbid Saint
Possessed

Black/thrash is also sweet, bands like:
Absu
Toxic Holocaust
Destroyer 666 (overrated IMO but still pretty good I guess)
Witchery
Necrodeath
Gospel of the Horns

.....and if you're not into that, which I can't imagine why you wouldn't be, just go for normal thrash I guess, and if you want a list of good normal thrash, here:

Annihilator
Onslaught
Slayer
Kreator
Sodom
Destruction
Nocturnal
Tankard
Overkill
Nuclear Assault
early Anthrax
early Sepultura
Megadeth
Forbidden
Testament
Exodus (with Zetro, fuck Paul Ballof he sucks)
Whiplash
Sadus
Coroner
Vio-Lence
Razor
Artillery
Heathen

Have fun....