Metal Storm logo
Thrash Recommendations

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 14.04.2007 - 06:14
Ok, I searched and I dont think I could find a topi to recommend/discuss thrash. Why Im posting this thread is because I must admit that there are very few thrash bands out there that dont bore me, these few would be bands like Megadeth, Sodom, and Kreator. I really enjoy Hybrid thrash though (thrash mixed with another genre) I.E. Keep Of Kalessin, black metal but highly thrash-like aswell. So particularly I would like to hear some recommendations on hybrid thrash, but feel free to recommend straight-up thrash aswell just to keep the topic open.

BTW- Please try and make the recommendations useful, dont recommend bands that Ive likely already heard, like Slayer or Metalica.
28.01.2010 - 03:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Who the fuck are Slayer?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.01.2010 - 04:20
thewall30
Ever heard of Evile, their a hell of a good thrash band...
----
30.01.2010 - 07:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Haven't seen Holy Terror listed yet. i really love these guys. their two albums, "Mind Wars" and "Terror And Submission" were recently re-released on a 2 CD set. i had no idea about this until i stumbled across it at the record store tonight.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.01.2010 - 02:56
Rannew
Account deleted
Written by Throne of Rats on 16.04.2007 at 13:04

Written by Mega-Slayer on 14.04.2007 at 07:39

Yeah you must look into "Darkness Descends" by Dark Angel,and if you want hybrid thrash here are death/thrash bands you should check out:
Devastation
Master
Deathstrike
Ressurection
Thanatos
Demolition Hammer
Solstice
Agressor(france)
Loudblast
Massacra
Vader
Possessed
Incubus
Slaughter(canada)
Early Death,Sepultura and Malevolent Creation

that should keep you busy

Incubus?? You can't be serious, unless its not the one im thinking of

Yeh, listen to Beyond The Unknown. Great album. I think they had to change their name because the shitty Incubus already had it, so they're actually called Opprobrium.
05.02.2010 - 02:16
Richard
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 30.01.2010 at 07:26

Haven't seen Holy Terror listed yet. i really love these guys. their two albums, "Mind Wars" and "Terror And Submission" were recently re-released on a 2 CD set. i had no idea about this until i stumbled across it at the record store tonight.

Yes, Holy Terror were a damn good band, and will probably appeal to many people interested in melodic 1980's Thrash. Perhaps their music could be vaguely described as similar to early Megadeth in some ways, but a bit rougher and more 'underground', yet also surprisingly more melodic at times.

There was a 2-CD reissue of both of the aforementioned albums in the late 1990's as well, by Powerage, which I reviewed for the Metal newsgroups and also submitted to a Holy Terror site back in 1999 (the first review in the press section - I'm Richard Stuart, of course):

http://www.holyterrorspeedmetal.com/press0.html
----
05.02.2010 - 02:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Richard on 05.02.2010 at 02:16

Yes, Holy Terror were a damn good band, and will probably appeal to many people interested in melodic 1980's Thrash. Perhaps their music could be vaguely described as similar to early Megadeth in some ways, but a bit rougher and more 'underground', yet also surprisingly more melodic at times.

There was a 2-CD reissue of both of the aforementioned albums in the late 1990's as well, by Powerage, which I reviewed for the Metal newsgroups and also submitted to a Holy Terror site back in 1999 (the first review in the press section - I'm Richard Stuart, of course):

lol i stumbled on to that site after first hearing them and wanting to find out more. i didn't put 2 and 2 together.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.02.2010 - 02:39
Richard
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 05.02.2010 at 02:21

lol i stumbled on to that site after first hearing them and wanting to find out more. i didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Haha, great! I see that there's a recent update on that site from a few days ago, too, with some more pics - and also it mentions the recent remastered release of the albums from Candlelight Records. Hopefully more people will get to discover this band.
----
05.02.2010 - 17:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Written by BitterCOld on 30.01.2010 at 07:26

One of my first here on MS was of the El Revengo compiltion.

I also have the 2cd reissue but that one was by Blackend and from 2006
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2010 - 23:30
Inlé
Never got ino that Holy Terror full-length. I think I'm probably the only thrash fan who has heard it and thought "meh" as everyone else seems to love it, heh.

Intruder's first album. Now that's good stuff. If you want to dig down into 3rd/4th/Xth tier level.
08.02.2010 - 04:22
mortjoyeux
Check out Artillery. Good thrash from Denmark, ( I don't know if someone posted them already..i kinda didn't want to read through 3 pages.)
Most of their albums are pretty good, you should for sure check out their 'By Inheritance' album though.
03.05.2010 - 07:37
whatsacow
I'd say hexen. They arent all that original, but they are old school thrash, and they do what they do quite well.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
14.07.2011 - 08:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
Here are some recommendations

- Shah
- Aspid
- Assassin
- Toxik
- Coroner
- Rattlehead
- Gama Bomb
- Pitiful Reign
- Infernal Majesty
- Hatchet
- Pessimist
- Meshuggah
- Cautiva
- Hirax
- Razor
- Onslaught
- Vindicator
- Fog Of War
- Witchery
- Skeletonwitch
- Messiah
- Lich King
- Excel
- Rigor Mortis
- Sadus
- Vio-lence
- Violator

... ... ...

for more recommendations just visit my list
http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=1233
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.07.2011 - 11:23
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 14.07.2011 at 08:03

for more recommendations just visit my list
http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=1233

Such shameless advertising....

It's my list you want to visit
14.07.2011 - 12:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
*sigh* The original reason I made this thread over 4 years ago was to discover new, interesting thrash. As I think I've stressed multiples times, big lists with no explanation for each band are completely useless. I could have done that by just going on Metal-Archives.
----
- George Carlin
14.07.2011 - 17:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Doc G. on 14.07.2011 at 12:01

*sigh* The original reason I made this thread over 4 years ago was to discover new, interesting thrash. As I think I've stressed multiples times, big lists with no explanation for each band are completely useless. I could have done that by just going on Metal-Archives.

Well its a list of good thrash albums... so its a good start if you wanna discover a new band. Im pretty sure that any album you'll pick in the list will satisfy you

@Fabre: Dude obviously Im showing my list for recommendations, I mean, it was made for that ?
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.07.2011 - 01:56
fabregassed
Account deleted

OK after having a quick browse through your collection I'd think you should:

Listen to S.O.D.'s "Speak English or Die", you seem to like Anthrax, this band features Dan and Scott from Anthrax, extremely fun band, even if the lyrics come across as childish.
Vektor- "Black Future". Not a fan of modern thrash, but these guys are a breath of fresh air, they aren't here to imitate their influences. I don't know if the vocals would turn you off though.
Destruction's "Eternal Devastation" and "Antichrist" are great albums too. The former having a unique feel to it due to the production and the latter being a staple of modern thrash.
If you are looking for more technicality in your thrash, Watchtower, Coroner, Toxik and Aspid might be right up your alley.
If looking for a raw album, or just pure aggression, maybe Sadus' debut album, Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill" and Demolition Hammer's "Epidemic of Violence" might be worth listening to.

One more I forgot to mention, D.R.I. I think you'll like "Crossover"

@Guib. I was kidding dude.
15.07.2011 - 03:44
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Well, If it makes either of you feel any better: I like both your lists, and am currently using them in my never-ending quest for Thrash Metal. May even combine them to make a check list.
@Guib Dude, you gotta add Overkill's The Years of Decay and Ironbound in that list. And Ahhnilator's Alice In Hell.
And maybe S.O.D Speak English or Die. Just saying...
15.07.2011 - 07:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 15.07.2011 at 01:56

OK after having a quick browse through your collection I'd think you should:

Listen to S.O.D.'s "Speak English or Die", you seem to like Anthrax, this band features Dan and Scott from Anthrax, extremely fun band, even if the lyrics come across as childish.
Vektor- "Black Future". Not a fan of modern thrash, but these guys are a breath of fresh air, they aren't here to imitate their influences. I don't know if the vocals would turn you off though.
Destruction's "Eternal Devastation" and "Antichrist" are great albums too. The former having a unique feel to it due to the production and the latter being a staple of modern thrash.
If you are looking for more technicality in your thrash, Watchtower, Coroner, Toxik and Aspid might be right up your alley.
If looking for a raw album, or just pure aggression, maybe Sadus' debut album, Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill" and Demolition Hammer's "Epidemic of Violence" might be worth listening to.

One more I forgot to mention, D.R.I. I think you'll like "Crossover"

@Guib. I was kidding dude.

Well, this is an old thread, I've since found myself some good thrash that doesn't bore me. Thanks for the recommendations anywho. I'll check out the ones I haven't heard yet.
----
- George Carlin
15.07.2011 - 08:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 15.07.2011 at 03:44

Well, If it makes either of you feel any better: I like both your lists, and am currently using them in my never-ending quest for Thrash Metal. May even combine them to make a check list.
@Guib Dude, you gotta add Overkill's The Years of Decay and Ironbound in that list. And Ahhnilator's Alice In Hell.
And maybe S.O.D Speak English or Die. Just saying...

Actually those recommendations are awesome... about S.O.D it would clearly be a good idea.
and thanks for the comment, Fabre's list is also pretty awesome.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.07.2011 - 08:43
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King

----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
15.07.2011 - 08:47
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King

New assaulter is savage as fuck too.. Might actually like it better than the new Havok.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
15.07.2011 - 09:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Death To Posers on 15.07.2011 at 08:47

New assaulter is savage as fuck too.. Might actually like it better than the new Havok.

don't know man, Time Is Up kicks major asses lol a fucking great release for 2011, but I do agree that Boundless is crazy.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.07.2011 - 19:34
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Guib on 15.07.2011 at 09:42

don't know man, Time Is Up kicks major asses lol a fucking great release for 2011, but I do agree that Boundless is crazy.

Yeah, I guess I'll see which one I listen to more by the end of the year
----
15.07.2011 - 19:36
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Death To Posers on 15.07.2011 at 19:34

Yeah anyways, the result doesn't really matter but you'll just be happy to have to fucking great albums in ur collection.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.07.2011 - 19:50
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Guib on 15.07.2011 at 19:36

Written by Death To Posers on 15.07.2011 at 19:34

Yeah anyways, the result doesn't really matter but you'll just be happy to have to fucking great albums in ur collection.

True, any other good ones come out this year by lesser-known bands? This question goes for everyone as well.
----
16.07.2011 - 09:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Death To Posers on 15.07.2011 at 19:50

True, any other good ones come out this year by lesser-known bands? This question goes for everyone as well.

One I've been pushing pretty hard has been Titans Eve. Definitely a sort of Testament type sound. They're pretty solid.

EDIT: NM, I see you already rated their album an 8. So I see you enjoy them as well.
----
- George Carlin
16.07.2011 - 21:26
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Doc G. on 16.07.2011 at 09:53

Written by Death To Posers on 15.07.2011 at 19:50

One I've been pushing pretty hard has been Titans Eve. Definitely a sort of Testament type sound. They're pretty solid.

EDIT: NM, I see you already rated their album an 8. So I see you enjoy them as well.

Yeah, I probably would even give them a 9 after a few listens. I think it was you who suggested them to me actually.
----
17.07.2011 - 16:34
Guib
Thrash Talker
Titans Eve's great theres so many good old and new thrash bands out there its crazy
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.07.2011 - 21:22
Hellish Star
ANACRUSIS
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
20.07.2011 - 06:10
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Hellish Star on 19.07.2011 at 21:22

ANACRUSIS

Never heard of them, im so gonna check em' out, right about... .... ... NOW !
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here