01. Nemoralia
02. Rolling Stone
03. So Falls The World
04. Southern Gothic
05. Angelus Novus
06. Transverberation
07. 1969
08. Coming Home

If Ulver were one of the X Men characters, they'd easily be Mystique. Ever changing, always in a state of flux, and able to morph their identity with incredible ease. When we last left off, Ulver dropped that "Zodiac Album" with the unpronounceable title. Highly psychedelic, jammy, and meditative, if you know the band and what they're all about by now, you know there's only one thing you can ever expect next out of them: the unexpected.

And indeed, considering their previous effort, for Ulver The Assassination Of Julius Caesar is a pretty big curveball. Musically this album is about as far removed from the Zodiac Album as could possibly be. Instead of that sound, here listeners are treated to a bright, synth-driven pop type landscape, held up, unquestionably, by the absolutely amazing vocals of Kristoffer Rygg. Here you get what is no doubt one of Ulver's best Rygg-centric albums to date, and I don't mean "Rygg centric" like Shadows Of The Sun or Wars Of The Roses, albums where his vocal presence was there, but in a very hushed, whisper-like delivery. Here he is the commander of this ship, offering up a soaring delivery and epic lyrics that do indeed revolve around themes of Rome, the Caesars, and relating subjects. My, oh my, just give "Nemoralia" or "Southern Gothic" a listen and let it melt your heart. This is one of the very few guys out there I'd legitimately go gay for because of his voice.

An increased presence for Rygg's vocals inevitably means a lower presence for instrumentation, or, to put it better, that the instrumentation here isn't really as crazy and all over the place as it was on their previous effort. This may come as a downer for some who really enjoyed that Zodiac Album, but it's testament to the fact that Ulver have a seemingly infinite number of ways of changing their style and still making it work. The music here is often pretty simplistic and reminiscent of basic pop song structures, but somehow it still carries a distinct " Ulver flair" in the fact that it's still very hypnotizing, relaxing, and spiritually uplifting. This is the real joy of The Assassination, this feeling that Ulver did go for a more conventionalized musical style here, but that they still totally owned it and made it their own. And goddamn, does it work oh so deliciously. Just give "So Falls The World" a listen if you want to see what I mean.

On The Assassination Of Julius Caesar, it's really Rygg who carries the weight of the music with his vocals and drives everything to its destination with his forward momentum. But that's OK, it's perfectly fine, because with this approach, one really can't complain and say that it means Ulver are a band that can't make good music without Rygg's powerful vocals at the helm, as this simply isn't the case. All this album is is an alteration for Ulver, what the band are all about really, one that goes from the extended, jammy instrumentation they've recently been playing with into a more restrained, poppy instrumentation dominated by the beautiful pipes of Kristoffer Rygg. Is it better? Is it worse? You decide. All I know is that as a total effin' sucker for both synthwave and Rygg's vocals, this is hands down my favorite Ulver release in years, and one that could easily become my favorite period with a few more listens. Yes, it's seriously that good.

The terrified cry of "Et tu, Brute?" has never sounded this beautiful.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 18.04.2017 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 66   Visited by: 536 users
20.04.2017 - 00:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by 3rdWorld on 19.04.2017 at 22:04

Nice review Che, you are getting pretty good at writing about music from what I remember about your old reviews. Also what an album this, incredibly addictive and sexy as fuck. Good choice giving this a 10 for production, its as masterful as it gets.

Thanks dude, I really appreciate that because you're kinda right there, some of my older reviews definitely do kinda make me cringe looking back
But hey, we all gotta start somewhere. And yes, the sound of this album and the mixing's careful attention to detail is pretty flawless. That's probably Rygg's work more than anything, I'm pretty sure he usually handles a lot of aspects of the band's production and I think he's actually done quite a bit of mixing for some other bands out there as well
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
20.04.2017 - 03:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
It's not metal. really enjoyable, but not metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.04.2017 - 05:07
Unhealer
Eclecticist
POOR LITTLE SISTEEEER I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAAAAND
20.04.2017 - 12:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
If you want to do something different from metal, follow Ulver and Igorrr.
20.04.2017 - 12:20
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Bad English on 19.04.2017 at 17:39

Written by BloodTears on 19.04.2017 at 13:02

I feel like I should listen to this, simply because I've been listening to electronic a lot lately.

its sad because you use to listen doom like 10 years ago and write an awesome poetry ....

It's not sad. I still listen to doom and I still write poetry. But metal isn't the only genre I listen to, obviously. Above it all, I like music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.04.2017 - 12:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.04.2017 at 13:39

I feel like I should listen to this, simply because I've been listening to electronic a lot lately.

You most definitely should, I can see you enjoying it a lot given some of the other stuff you're into. Love it when our tastes manage to align, Ana

Eheh Yes, it's a rare occasion but I like it too Pretty sure I'll enjoy this.
----

My Instagram
20.04.2017 - 14:20
pdepmcp

Maybe I'll be back in a few years, loving it, as it happened before with some of their stuff, but as of now I'm quite disappointed with this release.
I had to stop after just 4 tracks.
Not my stuff. Not now, at least.

Good review, though. It gave me a good idea of what it's all about. And I decided to give it a chance.
20.04.2017 - 14:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Unhealer on 20.04.2017 at 05:07

POOR LITTLE SISTEEEER I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAAAAND

THE BABE IN THE WOODS WILL BE TAKEN BY A WOLF
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
20.04.2017 - 14:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by pdepmcp on 20.04.2017 at 14:20

Maybe I'll be back in a few years, loving it, as it happened before with some of their stuff, but as of now I'm quite disappointed with this release.
I had to stop after just 4 tracks.
Not my stuff. Not now, at least.

Good review, though. It gave me a good idea of what it's all about. And I decided to give it a chance.

Well I'm happy to hear that at least, part of my intent with my writing is to get people to check out the music even if it wouldn't ordinarily be their thing so.... success!
----

~ II. VII
20.04.2017 - 16:48
Malignar

I can't believe it, but I kinda like it. I do think they could throw a guitar in the background to improve things even more.
20.04.2017 - 17:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Malignar on 20.04.2017 at 16:48

I can't believe it, but I kinda like it. I do think they could throw a guitar in the background to improve things even more.

Hmmm... I can't really see it, personally. Not saying it wouldn't work, pop can certainly include guitar, but I don't really think that was the particular kind of pop feel they were going for here. More synth-driven than anything else
----

~ II. VII
21.04.2017 - 20:20
Dave FC

That's a very very well done review. not been interested on Ulver last years but i'll check it out!
23.04.2017 - 11:03
Heard the whole thing today, kinda liked it. Its better than previous one. Its not metal for sure but Ulver are not metal for quite some time now.
23.04.2017 - 13:23
nikarg

Do yourself a favour and listen to it. You'll love it!
23.04.2017 - 13:32
nikarg

Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.04.2017 at 03:45

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.04.2017 at 01:23

Good for what the album does... Being a Dpeche Mode clonish thing.

This is the main comparison I've heard with this one and while I'll agree there's a similarity, that band and this album are two entirely different beasts. Ulver clone no one

There is no parthenogenesis in music and every band has its own influences. Of course this album is fused with some of 80s electropop and the genre's masters that are Depeche Mode, but DM were never as sophisticated as Ulver in this album. If this is a clone, then every metal band should be considered a Black Sabbath clone, don't you think?
02.05.2017 - 19:43
VIG
Account deleted
I finally listed to this. I liked it. Aoty contender
02.05.2017 - 19:49
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 02.05.2017 at 19:43

Aoty contender

No fucking question
----

~ II. VII
05.05.2017 - 23:26
blackmamba

Best album of the universe
06.05.2017 - 04:42
no one
Account deleted
Man, I just don't get why people are liking this so much. But then I've never been into pop music.
06.05.2017 - 05:14
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 06.05.2017 at 04:42

Man, I just don't get why people are liking this so much. But then I've never been into pop music.

Probably just because it's different. I've never really liked pop music either but I wouldn't really call this "pop music" as we commonly understand it. This is a far cry from Duran Duran or Madonna or something like that, it's more electronic pop than anything else, and even then it still seems to have that unique edge to it is unquestionably Ulver
----

~ II. VII
07.05.2017 - 01:34
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 06.05.2017 at 04:42

Because it's good music. Genres are irrelevant.
15.05.2017 - 17:54
Rating: 9
busodeLcueo

@ times the sound of this aLbum reminds me a Lot of themes from wiLLiam bLake's, and that is a good thing.
16.05.2017 - 00:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Nope, relistened this album loads of times and it is just average music no matter if you regard it as pop, electro, metal, rock, whatever. And yep there ius still way too much Depeche Mode in this album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.05.2017 - 00:09
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.05.2017 at 00:05

Nope, relistened this album loads of times and it is just average music no matter if you regard it as pop, electro, metal, rock, whatever. And yep there ius still way too much Depeche Mode in this album.

You're still going on with this?
----

~ II. VII
16.05.2017 - 00:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 16.05.2017 at 00:09

You're still going on with this?

Of course ;-) Since it is an average pop album with way too many Depeche Mode influences
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.05.2017 - 00:18
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.05.2017 at 00:13

Of course ;-) Since it is an average pop album with way too many Depeche Mode influences

Honestly, originally I loved this, but when you think about it that way it's very correct. Although I have always prefered Black metal/neofolk Ulver.
16.05.2017 - 02:21
no one
Account deleted

Yes, you would wonder if this album would get any attention at all on ms if it wasn't ulver.
16.05.2017 - 14:48
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 16.05.2017 at 02:21

Yes, you would wonder if this album would get any attention at all on ms if it wasn't ulver.

Probably not as much at the very least, considering the name that's attached to it. I mean, you could ask the same thing of that ambient album WITTR put out back in 2014. But I think it's nonetheless a bit of a stretch to say that it wouldn't receive any attention here at all, given that quite a good chunk of people here are into a lot of nonmetal genres
----

~ II. VII
21.05.2017 - 12:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I freaking love the album! I knew my instinct was right and I should listen to this

All the songs are a highlight to be honest.
----

My Instagram
24.05.2017 - 20:46
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
When Rome falls...
...SO FALLS THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!!!

Fell in love with that track when they played it live. Now that I listen to the studio version, still my favorite track. Best moment was probably the extended ending to "Coming Home" though, so hypnotizing.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 18723 | This month: 23