09. Helvetesfönster
10. Life Eternal
11. It's A Sin [Pet Shop Boys cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]
12. Avalanche [Leonard Cohen cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]

The Best Hard Rock Album Of 2018

Staff review by
nikarg
Rating:
You all know the stories behind Ghost's unmasking, the subsequent lawsuits and Cardinal Copia replacing Papa Emeritus III, so let's cut to the chase.

Read more ››
published 12.06.2018 | Comments (21)

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 78   Visited by: 998 users
05.06.2018 - 16:32
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Lord Slothrop on 05.06.2018 at 02:27

Written by Nicko's Nose on 04.06.2018 at 06:21

Written by Lord Slothrop on 04.06.2018 at 05:23

Another solid release from the controversial 'metal-rock-pop' band. The only song I haven't been able to warm up to is, of course, 'Dance Macabre'. Maybe some day. Or not.

I'd take Dance Macabre over anything after it. First half is so much better than the second imo.

I listened to the song again and figured it out. What I hate is that during the chorus he keeps singing "wanna be which you" and I fucking hate the sound of it. I have the same reaction whenever someone says 'axe' instead of ask. As for the song, eh... it's ok, I suppose. I agree with you as to the first half v the second, but I still dig it. For the most part.

Is it just me or do Swedes have a really hard time pronouncing the "th" sound? I figured thats why Papa sings which instead of with
05.06.2018 - 18:45
Der_Panzerwagen

Have you considered the possibility, that he is saying it correctly and means "I want to bewitch you"?
05.06.2018 - 18:52
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro

Another solid release from the controversial 'metal-rock-pop' band. The only song I haven't been able to warm up to is, of course, 'Dance Macabre'. Maybe some day. Or not.

I'd take Dance Macabre over anything after it. First half is so much better than the second imo.

I listened to the song again and figured it out. What I hate is that during the chorus he keeps singing "wanna be which you" and I fucking hate the sound of it. I have the same reaction whenever someone says 'axe' instead of ask. As for the song, eh... it's ok, I suppose. I agree with you as to the first half v the second, but I still dig it. For the most part.

Reading the actual lyrics would help
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
06.06.2018 - 07:13
Rating: 7
Lord Slothrop

Written by Dark Forever on 05.06.2018 at 18:52

Reading the actual lyrics would help

You know, after I posted that last night I thought that maybe I was hearing the lyrics wrong. Then I went to bed. Should have done my homework before looking like an ass. Oops.
06.06.2018 - 10:29
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Catchy as all hell, gonna enjoy this while it lasts and then quickly move on to something else.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
06.06.2018 - 12:03
Tornado Of Souls

Really enjoying this, different and less dark but not a bad thing for me. When the saxophone solo comes in in Miasma i almost start laughing but it sounds great too .
06.06.2018 - 22:26
ohmayhem

I know it's "bewitch you" but I can't unhear "be wichu"
07.06.2018 - 11:37
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
First Enslaved with some saxophone, now Ghost. Disturbing trend.
----
07.06.2018 - 21:44
Rating: 6
Lulucifer

I like the instrumental tracks a lot. Helvensfönster is a very nice atmospheric and progressive track, Miasma is a more agressive and inovative sound for ghost, its a track i would expect from a progressive rock band.

As for the songs with lyrics, they are obviously more pop oriented and kinda abandoned the 70's occultist hard rock sound. I believe this new approach is fine if they find good compositions which is not the case. The highlights would be Witch Image (very catchy and still interesting musically) and Life Eternal.

The album starts ok, the very middle is kinda lame and then it gets stronger by the end half. Not a really good track choice I think that Square Hammer should be in this to make the start stronger instead of that EP. So overall an decent album but not better than the last 3 studio releases.
07.06.2018 - 23:31
koob

Some nice sounds but overall kinda uninteresting compared to the last one
09.06.2018 - 06:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Looking at the inside cover, is that Papa Emeritus or Boy George?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.06.2018 - 14:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by M C Vice on 09.06.2018 at 06:54

Looking at the inside cover, is that Papa Emeritus or Boy George?

Papa Emeritus is out of the band and Cardnial Copia has taken his place.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.06.2018 - 10:17
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
The song "Rats" is pretty kick-&rse and I really dig "Pro Memoria" and the other catchy pop-rock songs. Like all previous Ghost albums, sounds awesome for the first week, with the songs constantly stuck in the head, but like all pop music, has to be discarded quickly before it drives you crazy. Good to revisit a few months later, and every now and then. Solid 7 out of 10 for good catchy pop rock that keeps rock music alive in the mainstream to some small extent.
----
10.06.2018 - 16:03
progpiggy

Fun, but a step back from the last one.
12.06.2018 - 03:56
Rating: 1
kingeryck

Quote:
I listened to the song again and figured it out. What I hate is that during the chorus he keeps singing "wanna be which you" and I fucking hate the sound of it. I have the same reaction whenever someone says 'axe' instead of ask.

Ugh that's the worst. I can't take anyone seriously who talks like that.
19.06.2018 - 06:11
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Now giving this an 8 out of 10. Much better replay value than I had originally thought. Gets better with repeated listens, surprisingly.
----
19.06.2018 - 10:23
This album is a pile of vomit. I generously gave it a four out of ten. People (especially those just getting into metal) need to think outside of this band and all of those borderline bands (Butcher Babies, Threat Signal, and that wavelength).

Judas Priest, Fractal Gates, Sinistro, Kataklysm, and Nervosa have put out good albums in terms of 2018 releases. Even Arch Enemy's album from last year was far better than this... This whole band I find is a waste of time. Even their image is unoriginal; they look just like the characters on Kreator's Terrible Certainty album cover. I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed that.
19.06.2018 - 11:48
Mercurial

Written by EsotericSpiritc on 19.06.2018 at 10:23

This album is a pile of vomit. I generously gave it a four out of ten. People (especially those just getting into metal) need to think outside of this band and all of those borderline bands (Butcher Babies, Threat Signal, and that wavelength).

Judas Priest, Fractal Gates, Sinistro, Kataklysm, and Nervosa have put out good albums in terms of 2018 releases. Even Arch Enemy's album from last year was far better than this... This whole band I find is a waste of time. Even their image is unoriginal; they look just like the characters on Kreator's Terrible Certainty album cover. I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed that.

Kataklysm are awful; they're painfully by the numbers and rote, probably the worst of the more mainstream death metal bands. People should think outside of them and find better, more worthy bands of the genre.

Or, you know, people should just listen to what they enjoy.
19.06.2018 - 17:59
I disagree about Kataklysm as they have put out very respectable albums over the years. Sure, they have been repetitive at times, but they are a great band in the eyes of many. Other death metal bands worth your ears and money I would say are: Vader, Decapitated, Morbid Angel, Death, and a bunch of underground stuff.

I agree that people can listen to whatever they want, but I do find that in metal, some labels do make some really stupid bands popular, such as Ghost.

You don't have to agree, just accept my opinion and that it doesn't have to be the same as yours. To me, they suck. And that is ok. Just like how I am ok with people enjoying Ghost as much as I think they're horrible, you need to be ok with people not liking them as much as you do. Live and let live.

But before you defend such a strange band like this, I would really like you to look at that Kreator cover and just think about it for a little while.
19.06.2018 - 18:15
Mercurial

Written by EsotericSpiritc on 19.06.2018 at 17:59

I disagree about Kataklysm as they have put out very respectable albums over the years. Sure, they have been repetitive at times, but they are a great band in the eyes of many. Other death metal bands worth your ears and money I would say are: Vader, Decapitated, Morbid Angel, Death, and a bunch of underground stuff.

I agree that people can listen to whatever they want, but I do find that in metal, some labels do make some really stupid bands popular, such as Ghost.

You don't have to agree, just accept my opinion and that it doesn't have to be the same as yours. To me, they suck. And that is ok. Just like how I am ok with people enjoying Ghost as much as I think they're horrible, you need to be ok with people not liking them as much as you do. Live and let live.

But before you defend such a strange band like this, I would really like you to look at that Kreator cover and just think about it for a little while.

I'm not defending the band, or suggesting people can't have their own opinions. I'm pointing out sanctimonious commentary in telling people what they "need" to do. Your tastes seem to follow what's popular and well known anyway so I'm not sure when or how you became qualified to make such distinctiions.

But for arguments sake, Ghost are a great band in the eyes of many as well. The argument ad populum route works both ways. I'd still take Ghost over Kataklysm though. Ghost have at least a sense of self awareness and irony, whereas Kataklysm are a mediocre band on autopilot. I get the criticisms people have of Ghost, and agree with many of them, but I find it amusing how their mere existence causes people to get their knickers in a twist. That alone justifies their existence to me: as a mirror to reflect sensitive and farcical trains of thought amongst metallers.

Not sure what your point about the Kreator artwork is. Metal has always closely adhered to visual and thematic conventions. That being said do you know any other pop rock bands that employ satanic / anti-christian themes like they do? That strikes me as a more original paring than the majority of what metal bands do. People seem to get a bit grumpy when their comfortable metal conventions are used out of place.
19.06.2018 - 18:22
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh boy
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
19.06.2018 - 22:59
I am going to end the conversation here as I am not a fan of arguing with someone that I have no idea who he is or what part of the world he is in. Also, what makes YOU qualified to state that I am only into what is popular based one a few bands I mentioned? Have you seen my profile? Have you seen my collection? Clearly not.

And, quite frankly, it is YOU getting your knickers in a knot and turning all fan boy about my opinion that really shouldn't be on your mind as it is YOU who replied. You really can't stand a mere and subjective opinion posted by someone you don't know out in cyberspace? The saying goes: take it or leave. To me, the band is absolutely irrelevant and this particular album is complete rubbish. So if you like it, good for you. But, I don't need to put on a muzzle just to not offend someone like you. I can say whatever I want as these comments are a place for OPINIONS and TASTE. Rather than wasting time on my pesky remark, bond with someone who enjoys the album, instead. Is that really hard for you to do?

Like I said, conversation ends here for me. Good day.
19.06.2018 - 23:18
Mercurial

Written by EsotericSpiritc on 19.06.2018 at 22:59

I am going to end the conversation here as I am not a fan of arguing with someone that I have no idea who he is or what part of the world he is in. Also, what makes YOU qualified to state that I am only into what is popular based one a few bands I mentioned? Have you seen my profile? Have you seen my collection? Clearly not.

And, quite frankly, it is YOU getting your knickers in a knot and turning all fan boy about my opinion that really shouldn't be on your mind as it is YOU who replied. You really can't stand a mere and subjective opinion posted by someone you don't know out in cyberspace? The saying goes: take it or leave. To me, the band is absolutely irrelevant and this particular album is complete rubbish. So if you like it, good for you. But, I don't need to put on a muzzle just to not offend someone like you. I can say whatever I want as these comments are a place for OPINIONS and TASTE. Rather than wasting time on my pesky remark, bond with someone who enjoys the album, instead. Is that really hard for you to do?

Like I said, conversation ends here for me. Good day.

I'm actually not that into Ghost. I like the Meliora album but this one I never finished.

As I said it's not your opinion that stood out for me, rather the fact it seemed to extend to what other people should and shouldn't listen to, which struck me as kinda out of any one person's remit. I don't think I was especially rude or out of line so I don't think the defensive attitude is necessary. Your comment just struck me as very indicative of what I see on Facebook. A sort of indignation that a band even exists in the first place, which I've always found really odd.
20.06.2018 - 15:57
Paz

Love this album and Tobias' new image is cool!

20.06.2018 - 18:31
Vombatus
Potorro
Easily my least favorite Ghost album, but it still has some fantastic tracks. And I don't expect much from Ghost, just gimme a few happy radio rock tunes!
20.06.2018 - 20:14
ohmayhem

Quote:
Written by kingeryck on 12.06.2018 at 03:56

I listened to the song again and figured it out. What I hate is that during the chorus he keeps singing "wanna be which you" and I fucking hate the sound of it. I have the same reaction whenever someone says 'axe' instead of ask.

Good thing he's singing 'bewitch' then.
20.06.2018 - 23:00
Polaria

Quote:
Written by ohmayhem on 20.06.2018 at 20:14

Written by kingeryck on 12.06.2018 at 03:56

Good thing he's singing 'bewitch' then.

There you are to settle that bewitch thing:

You'll soon be hearing the chime
Close to midnight
If I could turn back the time
I'd make all right
How could it end like this?
There's a sting in the way you kiss me
Something within your eyes
Said it could be the last time
'Fore it's over!
Just wanna be
Wanna bewitch you in the moonlight
Just wanna be
I wanna bewitch you all night
It keeps on giving me chills
But I know now
I feel the closer we get
To the last vow
I don't wanna end like this (Like this, yeah)
But the sting in the way you kiss me (I'm loving it)
Something within your eyes
Said it could be the last time
'Fore it's over!
Just wanna be
Wanna bewitch you in the moonlight
Just wanna be
I wanna bewitch you all night
Just wanna be
I wanna bewitch you one last time with me tonight [...]
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
25.06.2018 - 14:02
X-FrEaK

This album is proof that one must abstract from reviews in general. I delayed my initial hearings because of all the negative feedback and now I see that it was a mistake, I'm enjoying the album a lot. Rats, Faith and Witch Imagery are amazing and the instrumentals are not as bad as people point out.
----
27.06.2018 - 12:46
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I'm a fan of all the Ghost albums and this is now my favourite. Not all that often that a band gives me their 4th album that I feel is better than the previous three.
----
04.08.2018 - 07:26
DeathMetal

I thought it was alright, nothing too special. I like the song Rats.

Hits total: 16419 | This month: 32