03. Ætheric
04. Council Of Wolves And Snakes
05. The Empyrean Phoenix
06. Lightbringer
07. I Am Sovereign
08. Archaic Correspondence
09. Alpha Aeon Omega
10. Rite Of Passage

This is just Nightwish with Emperor Palpatine on vocals.

Oof. I'm not the biggest Dimmu fan in the ice palace - more of a passive appreciator - but this is a rather dimmer Borgir than I remember. I recall them being bolder and brassier, possessing a powerful low end weighed down by both the metal and the symphonic elements - or, failing that, sufficiently threatening black metal at least. Eonian prances onto centerstage with the same fustian drama, but none of the imperious might and thunder, none of the vicious musical sorcery that made Dimmu Borgir cool. "The Unveiling" starts us off with a neat, windy riff that's likely to be stuck in my head for a while, but it also makes apparent that much of the metal edge has fled from Dimmu Borgir's ranks.

The lily-white strings, glistening piano, and mellow choir, a curiously frequent and intrusive presence, positively drip with decadence; clearly this is some thrust at gothic elegance, but the orchestrations sound lacey, saccharine, and bloated. Far from adding atmosphere and throwing weight and sophistication behind basically sound black metal, this new breed of symphonic affectation takes all the attention away from what little harshness remains in the Dimmu halls. Shagrath still sounds like a Nazgûl with a cold, which is great, but this "enchanted epic twilight symphony" sound gives me cavities, and the occasional blastbeat and diminished chord don't really change that. I miss ICS Vortex.

"Council Of Wolves And Snakes" breaks down some strange tribal groove that is at least conceptually enticing enough to stay interesting for five minutes, and the song contains some of the rare moments recognizable as wicked-riffed black metal; when it so chooses to be, "Alpha Aeon Omega" is a better Wintersun track than anything from The Forest Seasons, proving that the super-symphony saturation does not necessarily have to work to Dimmu's detriment. Even several of the stronger compositions, however, find themselves undercut by an obnoxious water-drip keyboard sound that makes me feel like I'm listening to some kind of dark new wave band or something, or perhaps a cheesy and thoroughly nonthreatening guitar tone that scrapes away most of the blackened feeling. Did I mention that I miss ICS Vortex?

Without a lyric sheet in front of me, I can't make out every detail of Eonian's high-falutin' concepts, but those passages that I am able to discern detract from the illusion of erudition, without fail. "Life is a trial and the passage is death"; "Losing yourself is the key to leave everything behind"; "To govern thyself, you must know your darkness"; is that? deep? I'm already annoyed by the sound of the choirs. I don't need to be irked by the things they're saying as well.

I give Dimmu Borgir credit for still being more interesting than your average symphonic metal band; there remains a certain expertise in songwriting, and some vestiges of old Dimmu do sneak through. I'd much rather be listening to this than Xandria or Within Temptation, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm listening to edgy covers of the Frozen soundtrack. Symphony is one heck of a drug, and it seems like in the eight years it took to make Eonian, Dimmu Borgir got too swept up in the frivolity and became self-indulgent.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written on 01.05.2018 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
It took 8 years to release a new record. So it must be the feather in black metal music's cap; something to throw at a true black metaller's face. These are the things that initially come to anyone's mind, regardless of how successful Eonian is in making fans' desires come true.

The record doesn't carry any instrumental track for a starter as a typical Dimmu Borgir thing, instead a shocking industrial intro and not comforting at all. "Interdimensional Summit", being the first song I listened to from this record, still stuck to Abrahadabra values. The keyboard theme is quite heartwarming and Galder's solo is one of the band's best. After that, "Council Of Wolves And Snakes" starts as something you may need in Dimmu Borgir's albums, but gets tedious and kills the buzz in the listener.

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 62   Visited by: 643 users
01.05.2018 - 05:39
Rating: 7
Lord Slothrop
Disappointed by this, but not surprised. I've read a couple other reviews that were lukewarm at best. Plus the two songs I have heard did nothing for me. And eight years? Sheesh. Oh well, there's always EDT to remind me of their good old days.
01.05.2018 - 06:57
Rulatore
Oof indeed
01.05.2018 - 08:03
Rating: 4
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I'll probably feel the same about this album. I hope I find one or two good songs at least, the two guys that wrote so many good songs are there somewhere.
01.05.2018 - 08:36
Zyk
If you miss ICS Vortex, try Urd by Borknagar. That's what made me happy to leave Dimmu Borgir behind.
01.05.2018 - 13:12
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by Guest on 01.05.2018 at 13:06

If there are any issues with Dell products then you should get the help from tech support team. The trained experts of Dell tech support are dedicated to helping its customers. To find the solution <a href= "http://www.customer-service-tollfree.com/support-for-dell/">Dell customer care number</a> 1-844-794-2515 will help you. On the call, trained technicians will resolve the issues as soon as possible.

haha nice
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.05.2018 - 17:11
Rating: 5
poison-evie
This is one of my best reviews I've read in a while. Not because I agree, since I still haven't listened to Eonian yet, but because it's so eloquently put and injected with humor. Keep writing reviews, my dude. This is great.
01.05.2018 - 21:14
Opethian
LOL! I'll stick to SBD
01.05.2018 - 22:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Council Of Wolves And Snakes" breaks down some strange tribal groove that is at least conceptually

best thing they ever did from mid 90's and still maybe its good band image sucks, I miss old DB in old days, beginning ,,, for all time.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.05.2018 - 12:13
Rating: 6
s_t_s
Better be dead than return as living dead ! Does it sum it up perfectly ?
02.05.2018 - 14:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by poison-evie on 01.05.2018 at 17:11

This is one of my best reviews I've read in a while. Not because I agree, since I still haven't listened to Eonian yet, but because it's so eloquently put and injected with humor. Keep writing reviews, my dude. This is great.

QFT
Can't say anything about the album, but your review is great, SSUS. Keep it that way!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.05.2018 - 15:15
Drekavaц
Account deleted
I own the album. It sucks. I will rate this album with 4,7/10
02.05.2018 - 16:43
addiction
Great review! Pleasure to read. Not sure about the album yet, as I've only listened to 2 tracks, but from those I do get the feeling you are right about the album as well.
----
alive in the superunknown
02.05.2018 - 18:46
Arrwyn
I was very confused with this album... I think they were too.
02.05.2018 - 19:23
Rating: 8
EloZ
I'll buy the cd anyway, to fill in my collection, and I loved this band so much, as far as Death cult Armageddon. I will listen to Stormblast (the one and only, not the second orrible version), to remember that they used to be my favourite symphonic black metal band.
02.05.2018 - 21:03
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
This is sad but after the crap that Interdimensional Summit was anyone expected any better?
03.05.2018 - 00:05
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Well-written, humorous-yet-informative review. I have low expectations for this one given the singles, and that's while considering myself among a small group of people who actually really enjoyed the previous album and "Gateways" single. Curious what your opinions have been on past albums compared to this one.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
03.05.2018 - 00:45
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
admin
Written by Darkside Momo on 02.05.2018 at 14:40

Written by poison-evie on 01.05.2018 at 17:11

QFT
Can't say anything about the album, but your review is great, SSUS. Keep it that way!

Thanks, guys!
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
03.05.2018 - 10:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I probably miss Mustis more than Vortex.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.05.2018 - 13:33
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Interdimensional Summit was such a bad song, this review was exactly as expected
04.05.2018 - 10:16
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Man, I usually love your reviews, but this one was disappointingly shallow. It sounds like everything you liked about this album I disliked, and vice versa. That is forgivable, as it can simply be chalked up to a difference in opinion. But you fit the narrative of too many laughable and embarrassing metalhead stereotypes, i.e. comparing melodic black metal bands to disney/pop music. I'm sorry, but the "edgy covers of Frozen songs" line, while it might entice a laugh or two from trve cvlt readers, is just objectively false and nonsensical, if not cringey.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
04.05.2018 - 14:23
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
So I've listened once, it's not bad by any means, and luckily it seems that Interdimensional Summit indeed is one of the weaker songs on the album. Some songs are pretty cool like the first one, but all in all it's a little boring.. There are more gothic in the music than black metal. All in all, not bad, but a little boring
04.05.2018 - 15:23
mdvdw
I've never dug into Dimmu Borgir, althought I enjoy their first album, and I considered their last albums overproduced.
This one have a lot of symphonyc Dimmu Borgir trademark, but it also has a nice bass+drum+guitar feeling, which reminds me of some therion albums.
Rating producion only 7 indicates that this review may be a little biased, besides allways comparing this album to their previous releases. 5 for originality? no way...
04.05.2018 - 20:03
SilentScream
Blasphemer
I liked that they thought outside the box, trying a different approach (like on Council Of Wolves And Snakes, for example).

That song is representative of the album : cool ideas but perhaps not pushing the ideas fully (or perhaps not knowing WHERE exactly to bring them). The song is super neat buuuuuut doesn't end up going anywhere : just a bunch of ideas that sound cool but lack cohesion.
04.05.2018 - 21:53
s_t_s
Written by EloZ on 02.05.2018 at 19:23

I'll buy the cd anyway, to fill in my collection, and I loved this band so much, as far as Death cult Armageddon. I will listen to Stormblast (the one and only, not the second orrible version), to remember that they used to be my favourite symphonic black metal band.

I like the second edition of Stormblast but to speak the truth I have never listened to the original. I used to like Dimmu Borgir a lot but it seems that it was decades ago... Hey wait it WAS decades ago !
05.05.2018 - 00:09
Baz Anderson
staff
I actually really like this album. I've been "off" Dimmu Borgir for a while now, but this one is different. "Lightbringer" and "Alpha Aeon Omega" are great tracks...
Maybe "not the biggest Dimmu fan" already knew what he wanted to write before hearing the album.
05.05.2018 - 11:36
nikarg
staff
"Not the biggest Dimmu fan" was quite generous I think. The album can only be used as a soundtrack for the Twilight saga. "Council Of Wolves And Snakes" is the only actually good track here. The rest range from mediocrity to complete pile of crap material.
06.05.2018 - 02:01
IBlackened
Why people act like you're only biased if you don't like something? I'm pretty sure there are biased people who only enjoyed this album because it's written Dimmu Borgir on the cover. And why is this a problem? Ok, I get it. We're supposed to enjoy anything, otherwise we are negatively biased and close minded.
----
Their old stuff is better.
06.05.2018 - 18:30
Rating: 9
SAY10
Honestly i can't see anything resembling Nightwish here, and this comes from a Nightwish fan. Yes this album is much more symphonic, which for my personal tastes it's great, but there is nothing Nightwish in here, and it shouldn't be. If i had to compare this album to a symphonic metal band out there, i would probably say Epica much more than Nightwish.
07.05.2018 - 04:03
iappreci8
Taken from Metal Injection website:

"THE FINAL WORD?
To sum up, Eonian, first and foremost, is a black metal album. Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. As such, it rests more-than-comfortably in the pantheon of True Norwegian Black Metal, alongside every classic album that lines its hallowed halls. In fact, this is the first Dimmu Borgir album in a very long time where the symphonic components almost seem secondary to that of the blackened elements. This isn't to say that the orchestration is any less stunning or jaw-dropping, it's just that I find myself humming/replaying each and every malevolent-yet-celestial riff over and over? long after the music has stopped. Eonian succeeds?unequivocally?in its homage to both Dimmu's history and that of True Norwegian Black Metal.

To be perfectly honest, I would gladly wait every eight years if it meant getting an album of this quality. A stunning, unparalleled effort that should be heard by any lover of metal, no matter their preferred sub-genre. I'm going to go one further and say that Eonian should be heard by any real lover of music. This is its true genius - an album that, if given the chance (welcomed with an openmind), has the potential to make a significant, positive impact on the listener, no matter which walk of life they've wandered in from.

Long live True Norwegian Black Metal. Long live the mighty Dimmu Borgir.

SCORE: 10/10"

JASON DEAVILLE
07.05.2018 - 10:14
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
I've been running with this album in my ears for a few days now. I usually run around 15 km in around 90 minutes, which gives me enough time to listen to the album almost twice (I removed "Interdimensional Summit" from the playlist because it's an aural atrocity). After a few listens it seems that this album is a bit better than it sounds initially. Not much better though, a 7.5 at best. I'm prtetty sure more people would like it if they listened to it more than once. But what am I expecting - most of people nowadays listen to an album once (if that), and then rush to the internet to state their opinion. Such times we live in

Hits total: 20392 | This month: 36