Metal Storm logo
..--- ----- .---- ---..

All my other recommendations that didn't make it to this page can be found here.

- 2018 -

Anticipating

House Of Atreus | Cult Leader

Deleted / Awaiting Bandcamps

Svabhavat | F L E S H / V O I D

Created by: Mercurial | 13.06.2018

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Mercurial ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 53   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 146 users
14.06.2018 - 18:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Best list evah.
14.06.2018 - 20:23
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Nice.
14.06.2018 - 21:08
Mercurial

Lolz, was hoping this would go unnoticed.
15.06.2018 - 00:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Bands and Stuff is my favourite
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.06.2018 - 00:19
Mercurial

Written by Karlabos on 15.06.2018 at 00:13

Bands and Stuff is my favourite

You should check out Stuff's demo. It's really good.
15.06.2018 - 13:48
Paz

The bands are breaking the genres in metal and Jooe is doing so, when it comes to lists on MS

Too little recs though
15.06.2018 - 14:54
Mercurial

Written by Paz on 15.06.2018 at 13:48

The bands are breaking the genres in metal and Jooe is doing so, when it comes to lists on MS

Too little recs though

Lolol. I'm really only sticking to 8+ this year, and stuff I can definitely see myself listening to in the future. TBH I might even take out a couple at some point.
15.06.2018 - 18:56
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Mercurial on 15.06.2018 at 14:54

Lolol. I'm really only sticking to 8+ this year, and stuff I can definitely see myself listening to in the future. TBH I might even take out a couple at some point.

You mean to tell me Wrekmeister Harmonies, Exlimitir, Untamed Land, Them Moose Rush and Rolo Tomassi aren't 8+??
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
15.06.2018 - 20:37
Mercurial

Written by RaduP on 15.06.2018 at 18:56

You mean to tell me Wrekmester Harmonies, Exlimitir, Untamed Land, Them Moose Rush and Rolo Tomassi aren't 8+??

Tbh Rolo Tomassi is a definite possibility, need to listen to it a bit more, and Wrekmeister I haven't heard yet. Hoping it's better than the last one.
23.06.2018 - 22:26
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Nice name going on for this 'list', it's very Darkspacey.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

24.06.2018 - 13:51
Mercurial

Written by Alakazam on 23.06.2018 at 22:26

It makes it a pain for people to click on the list too as it's such a small space lolol
24.06.2018 - 15:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Mercurial on 24.06.2018 at 13:51

Written by Alakazam on 23.06.2018 at 22:26

It makes it a pain for people to click on the list too as it's such a small space lolol

Should have named it that character when you hold alt and press 0160
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.06.2018 - 15:39
Mercurial

Written by Karlabos on 24.06.2018 at 15:25

Should have named it that character when you hold alt and press 0160

Damn, didn't even know that was a thing.
23.07.2018 - 22:14
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
The few albums here that I have heard I very much enjoy so I guess I should check out the rest. I've been shit at getting on new releases this year
23.07.2018 - 23:07
Mercurial

Written by Alex F on 23.07.2018 at 22:14

The few albums here that I have heard I very much enjoy so I guess I should check out the rest. I've been shit at getting on new releases this year

I'm falling back into the habit of adding stuff that just seems cool, rather than flat out 8+ stuff so I might need to tidy things up at some point after dedicated listenings. There's definitely been a few legit hits this year though.
24.07.2018 - 00:25
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Check Dautha bro, your list needs some epic doom
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
24.07.2018 - 00:32
Mercurial

Written by Maco on 24.07.2018 at 00:25

Check Dautha bro, your list needs some epic doom

I'll give it a go, but I'm pretty fussy with epic doom. I only ever seem to listen to the classic stuff.
24.07.2018 - 00:45
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Mercurial on 24.07.2018 at 00:32

I'll give it a go, but I'm pretty fussy with epic doom. I only ever seem to listen to the classic stuff.

Some Griftegard members play on this, maybe you'll dig it.
----
24.07.2018 - 02:00
Mercurial

Written by Maco on 24.07.2018 at 00:45

Some Griftegard members play on this, maybe you'll dig it.

Can't hurt I suppose
30.07.2018 - 16:38
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Been listening through the list slowly and randomly, and one thing stuck out to me. That Crone album has some phenomenal song writing, but I just cant get into the vocal style. Damn shame because with a different vocalist I might have called it one of the best of the year, but the style just doesnt click with me.

You might be interested in the new The Thing With Five Eyes album "Noirabesque". It's a newer Jason Kohnen (Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble) project, and quite an interesting one. The vocals might be off putting to some, but I'm personally a big time fan.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is the new Owane album, which is my album of the year at the moment. It's kind of a jazz influenced, proggy (? I guess) take on the Intervals/Plini/etc... style of guitar focused hyper addictive instrumental stuff. It's definitely more eclectic in terms of observable influence than most of his peers (like Intervals, who I'm pretty sure he collaborated on a track with), but I think the range of styles come together superbly. I'm a massive fan of the style, though again idk if you'd necessarily be into it.

Was also curious as to your thoughts on the new Voices album? Haven't gotten around to listening to it but I've seen some positive reception elsewhere.
30.07.2018 - 17:00
Mercurial

Written by Alex F on 30.07.2018 at 16:38

Been listening through the list slowly and randomly, and one thing stuck out to me. That Crone album has some phenomenal song writing, but I just cant get into the vocal style. Damn shame because with a different vocalist I might have called it one of the best of the year, but the style just doesnt click with me.

You might be interested in the new The Thing With Five Eyes album "Noirabesque". It's a newer Jason Kohnen (Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble) project, and quite an interesting one. The vocals might be off putting to some, but I'm personally a big time fan.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is the new Owane album, which is my album of the year at the moment. It's kind of a jazz influenced, proggy (? I guess) take on the Intervals/Plini/etc... style of guitar focused hyper addictive instrumental stuff. It's definitely more eclectic in terms of observable influence than most of his peers (like Intervals, who I'm pretty sure he collaborated on a track with), but I think the range of styles come together superbly. I'm a massive fan of the style, though again idk if you'd necessarily be into it.

Was also curious as to your thoughts on the new Voices album? Haven't gotten around to listening to it but I've seen some positive reception elsewhere.

Crone's vocals are definitely not my favourite. I'm not overly bothered by them though, not enough to stop me enjoying it anyway.

I'll get those recs open in some tabs and have a listen. Anything KDE-related is bound to be good. I'm also pretty into the more modern prog of Intervals et al these days so there's a good chance I'll like that one too.

Haven't heard the new Voices yet though. I think I just came to the conclusion that they weren't for me after what they've released so far, but I'll have a look at it anyway. Might do it for me this time.
30.07.2018 - 17:39
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Mercurial on 30.07.2018 at 17:00

Crone's vocals are definitely not my favourite. I'm not overly bothered by them though, not enough to stop me enjoying it anyway.

I'll get those recs open in some tabs and have a listen. Anything KDE-related is bound to be good. I'm also pretty into the more modern prog of Intervals et al these days so there's a good chance I'll like that one too.

Haven't heard the new Voices yet though. I think I just came to the conclusion that they weren't for me after what they've released so far, but I'll have a look at it anyway. Might do it for me this time.

I remember enjoying the Voices debut somewhat and London to a lesser degree, which is why I haven't really rushed to hop on the new one.

On the topic of the proggy boy crew, I just realized Plini's new EP already came out, and listening right now it sounds quite good, so you may want to give that a whirl as well. Also, somewhat related, the new Night Verses album is a fairly interesting and different take on modern prog type instrumental shit. Its quite a bit different from the Intervals style, but super cool imo.
31.07.2018 - 13:43
Mercurial

Written by Alex F on 30.07.2018 at 17:39

I remember enjoying the Voices debut somewhat and London to a lesser degree, which is why I haven't really rushed to hop on the new one.

On the topic of the proggy boy crew, I just realized Plini's new EP already came out, and listening right now it sounds quite good, so you may want to give that a whirl as well. Also, somewhat related, the new Night Verses album is a fairly interesting and different take on modern prog type instrumental shit. Its quite a bit different from the Intervals style, but super cool imo.

Plini are nice. Very relaxing, but I did find them a bit too soft to get through a whole album's worth. An EP might be doable though.
01.08.2018 - 16:14
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Mercurial on 31.07.2018 at 13:43

Plini are nice. Very relaxing, but I did find them a bit too soft to get through a whole album's worth. An EP might be doable though.

The full length Plini album is definitely below the quality of the first three EPs and the new one. Think the latest has a good balance of more mellow passages and heavier prog stuff. Though it's definitely not metal by any means.
22.08.2018 - 00:03
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I guess you didn't enjoy the last Drudkh album.
----
22.08.2018 - 01:05
Mercurial

Written by Maco on 22.08.2018 at 00:03

I guess you didn't enjoy the last Drudkh album.

I think I heard a bit of a song and it didn't grab me, but people keep saying it's good so I guess I'll have to listen to it at some point.
01.09.2018 - 15:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Gonna probably lurk this for the rest of the year for some review ideas, so thanks for posting!
Haven't listened to everything here but of what I recognize Imperial Triumphant, Xenward, and Chaos Echoes have probably been my favorites.

Also interesting to see you put Uada here, given your tastes I kinda would've figured they'd be a bit too generic for you. They are a good example of a band that does an unoriginal sound well though, so not a bad pick in my book
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.09.2018 - 21:42
Mercurial

Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.09.2018 at 15:42

Gonna probably lurk this for the rest of the year for some review ideas, so thanks for posting!
Haven't listened to everything here but of what I recognize Imperial Triumphant, Xenward, and Chaos Echoes have probably been my favorites.

Also interesting to see you put Uada here, given your tastes I kinda would've figured they'd be a bit too generic for you. They are a good example of a band that does an unoriginal sound well though, so not a bad pick in my book

Coool, I better keep updating it then.

And yeah, that's my exact reason for liking it. I do have quite a big thing for standard, meloblack when it's done well. Dauþuz and Kosmogyr probably aren't too far off in that they're quite melody heavy but are done well. It's nice to have the occasional listening album, especially for mp3 player usage,
08.09.2018 - 13:15
Zap
Written by Mercurial on 15.06.2018 at 00:19

You should check out Stuff's demo. It's really good.

There's actually a band here in Belgium called Stuff. Haven't heard their demo but they actually have a pretty good album out. Link says 2018 but I think it's from last year.

https://stuffmusic.bandcamp.com/

Also, your list format sucks, I hate it.
But I will probably use it at some point if I want to hear new music.
08.09.2018 - 13:27
Mercurial

Written by Zap on 08.09.2018 at 13:15

There's actually a band here in Belgium called Stuff. Haven't heard their demo but they actually have a pretty good album out. Link says 2018 but I think it's from last year.

https://stuffmusic.bandcamp.com/

Also, your list format sucks, I hate it.
But I will probably use it at some point if I want to hear new music.

Lolol, nice, I'll have a listen to some Stuff later.

Well this list was originally for me only as an easy access place for this year's records, I tried hiding it, but that didn't last long. Damn snoopy MS crew.

Hits total: 4325 | This month: 11