08. In This Life
09. Burn
10. Deep Inside
11. All The Pain
12. Stay With Me

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
It's been a long and consistent descent for In Flames for much of the last few years, skating by on their reputation rather than merit to keep their name relevant. It is against this back drop that they release I, The Mask, an album that is born with its back to the wall - can it come out swinging?

Read more ››
published 17.07.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 50   Visited by: 849 users
21.01.2019 - 21:33
Rating: 4
s_t_s
So far three songs released and while I really like I Am Above I also REALLY hate the other two songs ! No expectations at all anymore.
22.01.2019 - 10:42
Rating: 3
EricAxel36
The title track is okay but the other 2 pre-release singles are complete trash. Wonder if In This Life is a follow up to Take This Life, one can hope...
22.02.2019 - 17:46
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Why the fuck are y'all still paying attention to this band and feeling disappointed? They've been disappointing for longer than they've been worthwhile
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
28.02.2019 - 12:20
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by RaduP on 22.02.2019 at 17:46

Why the fuck are y'all still paying attention to this band and feeling disappointed? They've been disappointing for longer than they've been worthwhile

So true! Last good album was Come Clarity, that was in 2006. Last decent song was Alias, that was in 2008. These days Anders is more interested in his craft beer than his music. Only reason they keep doing music is because there are still sucker fans out there still willing to fill up the pockets of a band that lost it over a decade ago.
01.03.2019 - 12:09
Rating: 8
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
It is a very good alternative album!
01.03.2019 - 13:52
elven
Its a pretty enjoyable album, lots ot catchy moments, of course if you ppl are still expecting a jester race 2 album surely will be dissapointed, not even the main songwriter of those albums is in the band anymore..
01.03.2019 - 13:54
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by elven on 01.03.2019 at 13:52

Its a pretty enjoyable album, lots ot catchy moments, of course if you ppl are still expecting a jester race 2 album surely will be dissapointed, not even the main songwriter of those albums is in the band anymore..

Agreed, you have to judge on the album ignoring the band's history. Because it is a really good album.
01.03.2019 - 15:02
Therapy?
I feel it's better than their previous two efforts, although a tad too much ballad-like songs on it for my liking. The title song I, The Mask had me hyped up for this album but unfortunately it's still the best song on it. But I defenitely enjoy the listen. No one matches Anders' scream vocals. People who still expect In Flames to return to their old sound should really just get over themselves and stop expecting unrealistic things. I'd love for them to make a Colony 2.0 or Come Clarity 2.0 but it ain't happenin' and I've come to accept that.
01.03.2019 - 17:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Nejde on 28.02.2019 at 12:20

So true! Last good album was Come Clarity, that was in 2006. Last decent song was Alias, that was in 2008. These days Anders is more interested in his craft beer than his music. Only reason they keep doing music is because there are still sucker fans out there still willing to fill up the pockets of a band that lost it over a decade ago.

Since when Anders is brewing? not saying that it doesn't happen, but I never heard about that, contrary to Peter Iwers and Daniel Svensson who both left the band to concentrate on Odd Island Brewing (or contray to Mikael Stanne, too)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2019 - 18:14
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2019 at 17:40

Written by Nejde on 28.02.2019 at 12:20

Since when Anders is brewing? not saying that it doesn't happen, but I never heard about that, contrary to Peter Iwers and Daniel Svensson who both left the band to concentrate on Odd Island Brewing (or contray to Mikael Stanne, too)

Read it in an issue of the Swedish magazine Allt om whisky (Everything about whisky). The brewery is called Frequency Beer Works. Plans are to start up a distillery part also and do white spirits (gin, vodka and akvavit).
If the beer is half as good as their music nowadays, stick to that instead. Just saying.

In Flames as a group also collaborated with Glenfarclas and released a couple of whiskies some years back.
01.03.2019 - 19:14
Rating: 5
drummercrm
I am angry at myself for giving this a listen
01.03.2019 - 21:05
JÄY
Metal slave
Haha I'm such a fanboy, I love this release!
02.03.2019 - 00:05
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Nejde on 01.03.2019 at 18:14

Read it in an issue of the Swedish magazine Allt om whisky (Everything about whisky). The brewery is called Frequency Beer Works. Plans are to start up a distillery part also and do white spirits (gin, vodka and akvavit).
If the beer is half as good as their music nowadays, stick to that instead. Just saying.

In Flames as a group also collaborated with Glenfarclas and released a couple of whiskies some years back.

Didn't know all that, thanks!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.03.2019 - 05:14
Harmaajoki
COULD YOU JUST PLEASE STOP USING THE NAME OF IN FLAMES
----
Shit talking and shit taste, whatever.
02.03.2019 - 10:02
Rating: 7
Zersorger
Is this now better or worse than Battles?
02.03.2019 - 11:35
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Darkside Momo on 02.03.2019 at 00:05

Written by Nejde on 01.03.2019 at 18:14

Didn't know all that, thanks!

You're welcome. Glad I could enlighten you a bit
02.03.2019 - 12:29
s_t_s
Well I downloaded the full album and gave it a try. Have to say that over the last days I Am Above, Burn and even I The Mask have grown on me (not This is Our House though). Unfortunately these 3 songs are the best songs of the whole album, maybe the only ones worth with Voices. The rest is mellow and uninspired pop to me. :/
02.03.2019 - 14:58
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by s_t_s on 02.03.2019 at 12:29

Well I downloaded the full album and gave it a try. Have to say that over the last days I Am Above, Burn and even I The Mask have grown on me (not This is Our House though). Unfortunately these 3 songs are the best songs of the whole album, maybe the only ones worth with Voices. The rest is mellow and uninspired pop to me. :/

For me, it's the first time I don't mind the pop-ish tracks. They were good musically and vocally they weren't too terrible. Anders improved his vocals compared to the last 2 albums. Generally the album is good musically and the songs you mentioned in addition to "Call My Name", "We Will Remember" (which has a Breaking Benjamin influence) and ""All The Pain" are my favorites.
02.03.2019 - 15:22
Rating: 6
vinsanity7ua
Written by EricAxel36 on 22.01.2019 at 10:42

The title track is okay but the other 2 pre-release singles are complete trash. Wonder if In This Life is a follow up to Take This Life, one can hope...

even I Am Above?
03.03.2019 - 20:45
s_t_s
Still trying to get into this... thing. And while some songs are pretty cool, others are just a pain in the ass... Well for some time I was hoping that In Flames had found their way back to good music but NOPE.
04.03.2019 - 11:27
Ganondox
There is nothing really wrong with the new songs. It's not quite as good as old In Flames, but they lack the human capital to make albums like those again, and it's good for what it is. The main issue I have is it just feels so redundant, like they are out of ideas and just making generic songs in this style they developed. In this regard I actually prefer Siren Charms over the last two albums. Maybe they'll turn out something good if they actually spent some more time working on their albums.
05.03.2019 - 11:51
s_t_s
Written by Ganondox on 04.03.2019 at 11:27

There is nothing really wrong with the new songs. It's not quite as good as old In Flames, but they lack the human capital to make albums like those again, and it's good for what it is. The main issue I have is it just feels so redundant, like they are out of ideas and just making generic songs in this style they developed. In this regard I actually prefer Siren Charms over the last two albums. Maybe they'll turn out something good if they actually spent some more time working on their albums.

Anders doesn't seem to sing, he whins and cries like a baby :/
05.03.2019 - 20:09
kaskadian
Really good album! Probably my favorite of theirs since Come Clarity. Not a bad song on here. The instruments sound much better than on their last 3 releases, imo.
07.03.2019 - 03:46
Harmaajoki
Written by s_t_s on 02.03.2019 at 12:29

Exactly the same with me
----
Shit talking and shit taste, whatever.
07.03.2019 - 09:12
metalbrat
One can change styles, experiment with new genre, provides they maintain their standards in every new venture. Sadly, my fav, In Flames is doing just the opposite. Other than I am Above, no other songs can make you a repeat spin.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
08.03.2019 - 14:01
illumipony
Worse than bad, it's booooorrrrring. Literally, the only kind of music I absolutely can not stomach.
12.03.2019 - 19:43
frequenzangriff
They should just change the name and move on, as the flames are extinguished and all that's left are ashes ....
mixed feelings here - surely much better then the terrible "battles", can't hate the album but can't like it either. but i will never buy an inflames album ever again, that's for sure!

I will listen to any of the other many really good and talented bands out there.....
16.03.2019 - 10:15
Stormm
More of the same. And, please, don't say that they're "evolving", just don't. Evolution of this band stopped for about nine years ago. And Anders "Hipster" Fridén is more and more annoying.
23.03.2019 - 23:35
IBlackened
Written by Stormm on 16.03.2019 at 10:15

More of the same. And, please, don't say that they're "evolving", just don't.

Man, I fucking hate those condescending cunts. They try to dismiss anyone who dare not like a band for selling out by calling them close minded or immature and, what pisses me off the most, saying they actually "evolved". No, they didn't. It's not an evolution when they try to appeal to wider audiences by becoming softer, simpler, an uninspired generic shit with no identity. There's no musical merit in selling out. It's ludicrous to say they evolved, especially when, in this case, the band went from being melodic death pioneers to ordinary alternative metal/rock.

Sorry for the rant.
----
Their old stuff is better.
24.03.2019 - 10:58
Reaper_Redeemer
Hating In Flames from "Sounds Of A Playground Fading" and after, I believe this release has some moments in it. "I Am Above" is a great track, I admit it. If "Voices", "I, The Mask", "We Will Remember" were part of Come Clarity, would anyone complain for them? I think no. BUT, the rest of the album is as bad as all those releases they made this decade. For example "(This is Our) House" is a song that definitely made me disgust the album. No metalhead with common sense can accept songs like this to be released by one of mdm's pioneers. A shame...

Hits total: 11597 | This month: 39