05. Regret
06. Stay
07. Coma
08. Alone
09. Adore
10. DDHS

Top 20 albums of 2019: 20

Additional info
Producer, mastered, mixed and engineered by Josh Schroeder.
Available on CD, black 12" vinyl (limited to 400 copies), green vinyl (200 copies), and purple mixed vinyl (200 copies).

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
N/A
Ok, what even is post-black metal?

Read more ››
published 18.04.2019 | Comments (6)

Found in 33 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 573 users
15.02.2019 - 13:44
Isalith

That's quite a shift in style. The material released so far have a strong scent of Gojira. Really interesting. The last one was already great but felt a little bit too opportunistic regarding the strong similarities to Ghost Bath's Moonlover.
12.04.2019 - 02:50
Rating: 9
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
13.04.2019 - 14:42
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I love it. Probably one of my favourites albums of 2019.
13.04.2019 - 17:05
Rating: 8
Wes

Very much enjoying the Novembre and Summoning inspired vocals, and even melodies in some parts. At the same time, the album sounds incredibly fresh and unique.
13.04.2019 - 22:50
MetalManic

It's perfect.
13.04.2019 - 23:18
Rating: 10
flipthecoin

Well this is a great discovery, I've very much fallen in love with it.
Definitely in my top runner ups for 2019 AOTY!
14.04.2019 - 10:47
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
What's this? A melodeath or prog album not in the #1 slot for the year?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.04.2019 - 14:14
HarryKawaiiDesu

Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.04.2019 at 10:47

Were not halfway through the year yet, dont get too excited now.
16.04.2019 - 12:06
nonZero

Reminds me a lot of Deafheaven. A great album outstanding production.

8.5/10 leaning towards an 8.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
16.04.2019 - 12:47
Mercurial

Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.04.2019 at 10:47

I listened to a few tracks, and this sounds way more like melodeath than black so don't get your hopes up
16.04.2019 - 15:00
MetalManic

Written by nonZero on 16.04.2019 at 12:06

Reminds me a lot of Deafheaven.

...and The Eyes Of A Traitor

^band profile is not working. Must be the 'invisible' factor
16.04.2019 - 15:41
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by MetalManic on 16.04.2019 at 15:00

...and The Eyes Of A Traitor

^band profile is not working. Must be the 'invisible' factor

It was the lowercase characters, there I fixed it for ya
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
16.04.2019 - 22:39
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Gojira? Melodeath??
Not really...

My digipak sticker says "... represent a band that has established and evolved their post-black metal sound. For fans of Deafheaven, Wolves In The Throne Room, Agalloch" and even though this statement is obviously driven by selling strategies, I tend to agree.

Anyway, this is some great and intense stuff.
Absolute highlight for me so far: when 'Alone' merges into the title track. These two songs just belong together and shouldn't be heard separated from one another. Eleven minutes of goosebumps and anything you need.
----
signatures = SPAM
17.04.2019 - 10:04
Mercurial

The thing with black metal elements is that they're so sound dependent, as opposed to structure and songwriting oriented, that you can water something down to the nth degree and people will still slap a black metal label on it for the kudos and street cred. Then on the opposite side an album can be littered with all manner of harmonising clean vocals and soaring heavy metal melodicism and heavy metal or melodeath won't get a mention, it'll just get called post-black or prog black etc. Granted I didn't listen to much of this, but I would bet my left and valuable nut that this is so highly rated because it's so very unblack metal and contains so many traits that makes melodeath so highly rated on MS (which is why I haven't listened to much of this myself )

Might sound like I'm gatekeeping black metal, but I'm not. It's just funny the lengths people / labels will go to to shoehorn in the black metal factor these days, when often it's just an inconsequential amount.
17.04.2019 - 10:18
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Mercurial on 17.04.2019 at 10:04

The thing with black metal elements is that they're so sound dependent, as opposed to structure and songwriting oriented, that you can water something down to the nth degree and people will still slap a black metal label on it for the kudos and street cred. Granted I didn't listen to much of this, but I would bet my left and valuable nut that this is so highly rated because it's so very unblack metal and contains so many traits that makes melodeath so highly rated on MS (which is why I haven't listened to much of this myself )

Might sound like I'm gatekeeping black metal, but I'm not. It's just funny the lengths people / labels will go to to shoehorn in the black metal factor these days, when often it's just an inconsequential amount.

Yeah, a lot of post-bm bands like Harakiri For The Sky or Vallendusk sound way closer to Insomnium than Altar Of Plagues
----
17.04.2019 - 10:21
Mercurial

Written by RaduP on 17.04.2019 at 10:18

Yeah, a lot of post-bm bands like Harakiri For The Sky or Vallendusk sound way closer to Insomnium than Altar Of Plagues

What's that, your sludge band has some raspy vocals? Black fucking metal. Wait... Your death metal album has toilet production?

I don't personally mind that it happens, but it's amusing to see the level of appropriation that occurs.
17.04.2019 - 10:22
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Mercurial on 17.04.2019 at 10:21

What's that, your sludge band has some raspy vocals? Black fucking metal. Wait... Your death metal album has toilet production?

Your speed metal has satanic themes?
----
17.04.2019 - 10:23
Mercurial

Written by RaduP on 17.04.2019 at 10:22

Your speed metal has satanic themes?

Your daughter is called Melissa? Keep her away from the town church, heathen.
17.04.2019 - 15:33
Reignstroem

This may be very close to my aoty depending on the future outcome. It almost feels like they are trying to create a whole new genre, and succesfully doing so too!
18.04.2019 - 01:44
nikarg

Fuck genres, this album is great.
18.04.2019 - 12:12
Reignstroem

I just meant that their sound is very unique in my opinion. I can hear a lot of influences from other bands in different genres. Otherwise I agree. Genres, while they can give you a good direction searching for new music, it's also the topic of many toxic discussions.
18.04.2019 - 13:05
nikarg

Written by Reignstroem on 18.04.2019 at 12:12

I just meant that their sound is very unique in my opinion. I can hear a lot of influences from other bands in different genres. Otherwise I agree. Genres, while they can give you a good direction searching for new music, it's also the topic of many toxic discussions.

My comment wasn't directed to you specifically; in fact, I couldn't agree with you more. I was just making a point that it's better to enjoy the music than try to pigeonhole it.
18.04.2019 - 13:53
Reignstroem

Written by nikarg on 18.04.2019 at 13:05

My comment wasn't directed to you specifically; in fact, I couldn't agree with you more. I was just making a point that it's better to enjoy the music than try to pigeonhole it.

Ah, my bad then! It sure is better! I bet I have bands in my "Metal"-playlists that many wouldn't count as metal, but fuck it! They are all mine
18.04.2019 - 19:24
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Great stuff. Both intense and melodic, great short, softer tracks in-between the more energy-packed ones, and it gets better as it progresses, culminating in the title track Adore. It's great to see these "post" bands using clean vocals without losing any of the intensity, darkness and overall feeling of the album. The acoustic guitar gives a nice touch to it too.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
20.04.2019 - 18:43
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Remember how much shit this band received for their previous album's cover?
----
rekt
09.10.2019 - 13:12
Rating: 10
Metal Rasputin

Wow. Just WOW.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
16.01.2020 - 20:36
skeksis25

Yeah, this is great. One of the best albums of 2019.
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7023
14.05.2020 - 14:28
Mr. Mackey

What a pleasant sound. Nice melodies.
Some of the songs start out incredible! Although they lose their momentum quite a bit later on.
24.08.2021 - 23:43
Rating: 7
Mehrad

I didn't hear any Gojira in this (unfortunately) other than one or two riffs.
The album was mostly average but ''Horizon'' and "Portrait Of Pieces" were really good.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
25.08.2021 - 12:07
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Mehrad on 24.08.2021 at 23:43

The album was mostly average but ''Horizon'' and "Portrait Of Pieces" were really good.

If you don't feel the gripping intensity of "Alone" and "Adore", then you're already dead inside.
So don't be surprised when friends and relatives tell you that you smell funny. I'm sorry to say that, but it's the smell of decay.
----
signatures = SPAM

Hits total: 7681 | This month: 24