09. When Once Again We Can Set Our Sails
10. Skoll And Hati
11. Wings Of Eagles
12. Into The Dark

Staff review by
nikarg
Rating:
N/A
I enjoy myself so much when metal "connoisseurs" shit on popular bands. I mean, it's cool to be blasé towards something so many others like, isn't it? I'm glad I don't belong to this "enlightened" group of metalheads because, even though I love the underground and do believe that metal thrives because of it and is dead without it, I let myself appreciate the goods that catchiness and melody have to offer.

Read more ››
published 04.05.2019 | Comments (31)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 34   Visited by: 960 users
20.03.2019 - 14:26
s_t_s
Well since Jomsviking was by far their weakest album in decades I don't want to feel any hype for this. Really bad as I used to enjoy AA a lot, not the best band ever but they delivered strong and powerful songs !
20.03.2019 - 17:56
thornh
The new song, Raven's Flight, is a huge step in the right direction. Closer to stuff from "With Oden on Our Side" or "Twilight of the Thunder God". Very good song.
20.03.2019 - 20:42
Rating: 7
DeathMetal
I really hope Raven's Flight isn't the best on this one... I love these guys, but they're just cookie cutter songs now...
20.03.2019 - 21:05
Pitwulf93
Written by s_t_s on 20.03.2019 at 14:26

Well since Jomsviking was by far their weakest album in decades I don't want to feel any hype for this. Really bad as I used to enjoy AA a lot, not the best band ever but they delivered strong and powerful songs !

I feel ya man. They somehow gained major traction with that album though, kind of like PWD did when releasing Ire (also by far their weakest at that point). First Kill by AA is a great song though, I have to say.
20.03.2019 - 21:15
s_t_s
Written by Pitwulf93 on 20.03.2019 at 21:05

I feel ya man. They somehow gained major traction with that album though, kind of like PWD did when releasing Ire (also by far their weakest at that point). First Kill by AA is a great song though, I have to say.

There are good songs in JOMSVIKING but more than half the album sounds weak, where is that juggenaut we used to love ? When listening to all their older material I still feel that rage making my blood boil !
20.03.2019 - 23:53
G.A.Y
26.03.2019 - 01:36
Headbang like a vikinfucker!

10.04.2019 - 13:17
blindg
Written by Pitwulf93 on 20.03.2019 at 21:05

Nothing is wrong with it. It's their best album by the far. They just keep getting better with each one.
10.04.2019 - 19:07
gavdann
I guess your taste veers more to the more commercial, easily accessible side of metal then. I agree with the majority, thought it was very weak. Someone described them as sounding like retired Vikings. "Raise Your Horns" was just embarrassing.
17.04.2019 - 11:39
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
By accident, I just stumbled upon a rather decent Amon Amarth cover band.
These guys are doing a great job of parodying the band's infamous inability to break out of their self-inflicted and cramped confines of constricted creativity.

----
signatures = SPAM
03.05.2019 - 10:37
s_t_s
Will listen to the full album asap but from the first 2 singles I don't have the smallest expectations.
03.05.2019 - 17:51
BlackMetalDay
Not a very bad album, but nothing really interesting either. There are too many albums from Amon Amarth, I own 9 from then, from Once Sent From The Golden Hall until Deceiver Of The Gods, and this new album adds nothing to their previous discography.
03.05.2019 - 20:03
Crème fraiche
New year, new AA album..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
03.05.2019 - 20:13
WorpeX
Made of Metal
This really isn't a bad album at all, I think people just try to find a reason to dislike Amon Amarth since they went more mainstream. That said, the first half of the album feels very disjointed, the songs themselves are fine but they don't fit together very well. Its like they wrote too many singles for the album and threw all of them into the first half. Second half sounds much more polished.
03.05.2019 - 20:34
Rating: 8
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by Crème fraiche on 03.05.2019 at 20:03

Huh, what? They take 2/3 years to release a new album. This one took 3 years, just like the last.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
04.05.2019 - 12:30
Rating: 4
EricAxel36
Best AA album in a looooong time! Their 2 promotional singles are a couple of the weakest tracks on the whole record. Love the opener and a couple near the beginning of the album. Solid effort.
06.05.2019 - 01:09
AndreMarcos
On the same level as Jomsviking. Nothing really remarkable but enjoyable.
06.05.2019 - 15:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Decent album to people who is into it, another old real metal band put album out for chosen people. Its not just guitar riffs, what was good here btw, all songs was good and fitts to lyrics, all here is pefrect if you understand history, folk lore , legends and live such life and are friends whit germanic nature, heritage, culture. This is not for outsiders
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.05.2019 - 17:06
Crème fraiche
Written by Dark Forever on 03.05.2019 at 20:34

Written by Crème fraiche on 03.05.2019 at 20:03

Huh, what? They take 2/3 years to release a new album. This one took 3 years, just like the last.

Oh man! They will surely bless us with a masterpiece!
07.05.2019 - 23:12
SebaRaven36
Very good work, this album has more strength which never bores you
09.05.2019 - 11:43
X-FrEaK
Never thought I would say this (even more after the unveil of THAT album cover), but this is their best album since Twilight Of The Thunder God, so.... eleven years lol
----
09.05.2019 - 12:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-FrEaK on 09.05.2019 at 11:43

Never thought I would say this (even more after the unveil of THAT album cover), but this is their best album since Twilight Of The Thunder God, so.... eleven years lol

cover is wortsh what this band ever has put out, I dont like it , but music is awesome
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.05.2019 - 10:45
s_t_s
Written by X-FrEaK on 09.05.2019 at 11:43

Really matter of taste ! To me this album definitely marks the day when I stopped listening to Amon Amarth.
19.05.2019 - 11:37
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi
It's an OK album, but it's just done to death at this point. When I listen to this I feel like listening to some older AA album, not this.
27.05.2019 - 22:01
Rating: 9
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Finally got to around this and I'd say, "Berserker" thrown last of her 3 records out of the park comprehensively.

A very tightly composed and well-structured album that's enthralled with once-lost Amarth's richly elements with less chaos.

Great album.
29.05.2019 - 02:45
Rating: 10
ScnD361
I'm really loving this album. I found it to be fresh a very melodic and strong (in their new style).
04.09.2019 - 01:05
drangbird
I've always been a big AA fan, though Jomsviking cooled me a bit (a shame since the saga is so solid). Needless to say, I didn't really hype myself up for this album. All in all, it's not bad but its not great; it's got a handful of pretty good songs, some interesting and catchy melodic stuff going on but then it also has an equal amount of stale material.
Decent tracks: Mjölner Hammer Of Thor, Valkyria, Raven's Flight, Skoll And Hati, Into The Dark.
Edit: "The Berserker At Stamford Bridge" is actually a pretty solid song.
20.10.2019 - 07:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It's both a blessing and a curse to be this consistent/repetitive. Every Amon Amarth fan has heard all these songs before, but that's what makes them so fun to listen to. The world keeps turning and these Viking fetishists keep churning out more nostalgic-soaked melodeath riff-fests. Their sound is incredibly commercialized and accessible for mainstream audiences worldwide, but their level of success given their style is evidence of their songwriting prowess.

They aren't reinventing the wheel, but that's never been their motive. They just want to write some heavy catchy tunes for aging fat guys to headbang to and that's just as noble an endeavor as anything these days.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2020 - 18:05
caimanjosh
Been quite enjoying this album! I really think they bottomed out with Deceiver of the Gods, which was pretty weak as a whole. I liked Jomsviking slightly more than DoTG, and now Berserker is pretty good. Really their best album since at least Surtur Rising or Twilight of the Gods. So what if it's "more accessible"? The music is catchy, fun, decently heavy, and perfect for lifting some heavy iron to. Headbang on!
22.01.2021 - 11:17
Rating: 5
BennyMetGer
That was it for me...since Twilight Of The Thunder God NOTHING new, just like AC/DC.

Hits total: 12367 | This month: 38