Reviewer:
N/A

17 users:
Band: Devin Townsend
Album: Guitar Improvisation #2
Style: Progressive metal
Release date: July 2020

01. Guitar Improvisation #2

After completing my review of Guitar Improvisation #1, I checked out installment #2 and thought, "Well, these are functionally the same. I probably don't have to review both of them." But then the first three comments on that review were, "Yes, and the second one???", so here I am.

Guitar Improvisation #2 deviates from Guitar Improvisation #1 conceptually as much as it does nominally: almost imperceptibly. Like the first volume of Devin's soundtrack to lounging at home, this album features a single, unbroken, 60-something-minute song generated by (one presumes) a lone guitar filtered into a refreshing puddle of ambient coolant. Even the cover art is the exact same design, recast in a leafy green with red undertones to contrast the previous album's rusty pink-orange.

The one real difference between these two albums is in tone. Guitar Improvisation #2 opens with the same gentle hum of edulcorative light and continues for several minutes as a simple extension of its predecessor's musical theme, but soon a sense of discord infiltrates the calm. The mood turns darker and delves deeper into active emotional language, entering lulls that are menacing rather than relaxing and engaging in a more dynamic crescendo/decrescendo over the course of its hour. I wondered about the previous album, and accepted the premise as far as my second paragraph here, but now I'm convinced that some synthesizer presence must be admitted, because the keys come into slightly sharper focus, a little colder and more direct than the purely atmospheric sounds of #1.

Devin still handles his instrument with a very light touch; #2 is never outright sinister, merely a complication of the light, sweet, ephemeral soundscape of #1. Even as it fades out, notes of tension still linger unresolved in the mist. If the first album was whale song - well, we're not up to shark song yet, but maybe this is undersea ruins or something.

Given how similar the two albums are, I couldn't exactly say that one is worse than the other - it all comes down to what kind of mood you want to envelop you for an hour. Personally, I prefer the first, since I don't need any more anxiety in my life, but maybe that's just my current mood; even though I prefer the first, I would also feel stupid giving this one a different rating, so I've just done the cool thing and omitted it altogether. I doubt this will be the last we hear from Devin before the pandemic blows over (implying that it ever will) or, indeed, before the month is through; he has been quite busy, and not just recording music. As much as new tunes, sometimes you just need to see something nice happen to get through times like these. We're lucky to have Devin.

Written on 11.07.2020 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 100 users
11.07.2020 - 07:57
Rating: 7
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
The madlad did it
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
11.07.2020 - 11:25
nikarg
staff
Now convince Devin to release a third one and then review that too.
11.07.2020 - 18:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Now review whole his disco and write getting into article and then ask nik n radu translate it to romanian and greek in 2 days
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.07.2020 - 17:29
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Is Devin becoming Buckethead?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
13.07.2020 - 23:55
Ivan Drago
As far as I know these were some of the backing tracks he used on his podcasts. He said he found it was easier to talk while noodling away and people kept asking for the audio
14.07.2020 - 15:51
SatanicBlood
Written by Karlabos on 13.07.2020 at 17:29

Buckethead is hundreds of releases ahead of Dev. I've listened to the majority of it too and it's become more of a quantity over quality when he pushed that much out over such a short frame of time. It just all essentially blends together by this point.
14.07.2020 - 15:53
SatanicBlood
Written by Ivan Drago on 13.07.2020 at 23:55

As far as I know these were some of the backing tracks he used on his podcasts. He said he found it was easier to talk while noodling away and people kept asking for the audio

Pretty much, also why I believe he won't release these as physical. Strange he made shirts for them though but Dev has made it a point on several occasions to mention he's broke whether it's for comedy sake or genuinely frustrated.
14.07.2020 - 16:55
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by SatanicBlood on 14.07.2020 at 15:51

Buckethead is hundreds of releases ahead of Dev. I've listened to the majority of it too and it's become more of a quantity over quality when he pushed that much out over such a short frame of time. It just all essentially blends together by this point.

I said it because of the 'recording improvisation and selling as a release' thing.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.07.2020 - 19:35
The Witchfinder
Account deleted

Would he be Canuckethead then?
10.12.2021 - 18:48
Rating: 7
RaduP