06. Fortitude
07. The Chant
08. Sphinx
09. Into The Storm
10. The Trails
11. Grind

The Best Alternative Metal Album Of 2021

Additional info
Produced by Joe Duplantier at Silver Cord Studio.
Mixed by Andy Wallace.
Cover art by Joe Duplantier.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Reviewing a divisive album by a major metal band? I'm sure this will be a rewarding experience for me.

Read more ››
published 02.05.2021 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Mehrad
Rating:
The new Gojira album is not Magma 2, and it's not completely a "U Turn" from it. It has the perfect combination of both "old" and "new" Gojira.

Read more ››
published 03.06.2021 | Comments (6)

Found in 57 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 144   Visited by: 1007 users
09.05.2021 - 18:54
Rating: 7
JavierPaper
Written by Desha on 09.05.2021 at 18:36

Written by JavierPaper on 06.05.2021 at 05:03

For now this album deserves the award of the biggest disappointment.

This is not it for me simply because I didn't expect anything after Magma. So I wasn't let down, my expectations were just kinda met.

I was looking forward to last year thinking I was going to see a From Mars to Sirius 2 or a Magma 2 with a bunch of good riffs.
09.05.2021 - 18:59
Desha
delicious dish
Written by JavierPaper on 09.05.2021 at 18:54

I was looking forward to last year thinking I was going to see a From Mars to Sirius 2 or a Magma 2 with a bunch of good riffs.

ok the first one was a case of overblown expectations then. And it's not like it's a huge drop from Magma. Just a bit worse.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
09.05.2021 - 19:05
JavierPaper
Written by Stormm on 09.05.2021 at 16:25

Like 10 years ago, Derrick Green said about Gojira, that this band is only really progressive band in death metal territory. So except from band like this that they will continue with same recipe and there will be something like From Mars to Sirius, part 2, is wrong from step one. I was hoping for less Magma feel, but Fortitude is essentially continuation of it, even more of meditative feeling all around which makes everything somehow more bland. More typical Gojira's straightforwardness would be nice.

It's amazing and sad at the same time how an amazing "progressive death metal" band becomes a band with a generic "alternative metal" sound, and it's also overrated by people.
09.05.2021 - 19:09
JavierPaper
Written by Desha on 09.05.2021 at 18:59

ok the first one was a case of overblown expectations then. And it's not like it's a huge drop from Magma. Just a bit worse.

In my opinion at least Magma has good riffs, in Fortitude I feel the riffs are "generic".
09.05.2021 - 23:45
Rating: 5
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Positively surprised by this, as someone not really into gojira all that much I didn't have any expections and I ended up really liking a few songs in there. Other than that, eh.
10.05.2021 - 10:22
Rating: 9
Mehrad
Written by Desha on 09.05.2021 at 18:51

Written by nikarg on 06.05.2021 at 23:38

Fortitude is the logical step forward after Magma

Exactly this I don't feel at all honestly. It's kind of limbo between Magma and L'Enfant Sauvage, while taking the worst two things from either. It just kinda feels like nothing. Something like Magma's title song or "Shooting Star" is still the biggest (ok) deviation from their mainstay sound.

with songs that stick to your mind, it is diverse, catchy, and is focused on proper songwriting, as opposed to a "chugga-chugga-listen-to-how-skilled-musicians-we-are" show-off.

Well the last point would've been a new low for Gojira, as none of their songs before have felt like that. I don't think any of these songs sticks in my mind except "The Chant", and that one only cause I hate it. I listened to it a few times now and you think I can actually remember a single riff from "Sphinx"? And that's maybe the best song on the entire record. I really struggle to understand how you can find this memorable at all.

After all, what is the problem exactly, the fact that they have departed from their previous sound or the repetition of things they have done before? Because, I have heard both arguments and I am puzzled as to how both can be valid at the same time.

I'm someone who would say that both are valid at the same time. They tried some new stuff ("The Chant"), but then also have some very formulaic songs on here (I mentioned a lot of the singles felt like L'Enfant Sauvage b-sides, which was an album that already had trouble being very memorable in its midsection). They didn't make a solid "here's the sound you know"-record, but they also didn't really experiment further on from Magma, in fact this is a step back honestly.

This record is the equivalent of your cat standing right inside the opened door, not staying inside or going out. "In or out, Gojira?" is where my frustration comes from.

I mean if you go into any album with that attitude , the chances that you won't like it or don't find it memorable are very high
Gojira is always memorable to me I don't know why .... from the heaviest to the tamest , from the fastest to the slowest
you can always listen to older albums though , I listen to Terra Incognita songs everyday
and Fortitude doesn't remind me of L'Enfant Sauvage at all .... maybe Grind a little bit
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
10.05.2021 - 10:29
Mehrad
Written by JavierPaper on 09.05.2021 at 19:09

In my opinion at least Magma has good riffs, in Fortitude I feel the riffs are "generic".

why "generic" ? the riffs are 100 percent Gojira
I agree that Into The Storm is a bit on the nose
----
10.05.2021 - 19:59
Rating: 6
zeromus44
In my opinion this sounds really bland and unspired. I guess old Gojira is dead and buried and this is the new Gojira post-Magma. They still sound like Gojira but as I said, more bland.

Some interesting riffs here and there, but apart from the first song I can't find one I enjoy from the beggining until the end.
10.05.2021 - 22:44
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Mehrad on 10.05.2021 at 10:22

I mean if you go into any album with that attitude , the chances that you won't like it or don't find it memorable are very high

Well of course, I won't like most albums or find them memorable. That's kinda true by definition lol. And I've went into a lot of albums with this mentality and still found them memorable or good. Turns out there's a lot of good music out there and I don't have to force myself to like stuff like this. And it's not like Gojira needs me to defend them or be a fan either lol
----
10.05.2021 - 23:26
nikarg
staff
Written by Desha on 09.05.2021 at 18:51

This record is the equivalent of your cat standing right inside the opened door, not staying inside or going out. "In or out, Gojira?" is where my frustration comes from.

{I didn't quote your whole reply for obvious reasons}
I'll just mention two things:
#1 I obviously respect your opinion and taste, but this album just appeals differently to me than it does to you. As we so often say, "one metalhead's trash is another metalhead's treasure".
#2 This record is the equivalent of your cat telling you that it has moved on with its life and so should you. Cats (and bands) are often like that.
11.05.2021 - 08:05
Mehrad
Written by Desha on 10.05.2021 at 22:44

Written by Mehrad on 10.05.2021 at 10:22

Well of course, I won't like most albums or find them memorable. That's kinda true by definition lol. And I've went into a lot of albums with this mentality and still found them memorable or good. Turns out there's a lot of good music out there and I don't have to force myself to like stuff like this. And it's not like Gojira needs me to defend them or be a fan either lol

yes exactly
fans are not "supposed" to love all albums by a band
I mean you can like 1 or 2 and still be a fan
----
11.05.2021 - 08:07
Mehrad
Written by nikarg on 10.05.2021 at 23:26

Cats (and bands) are often like that.

no cat will stay in one place if you tell it to
----
11.05.2021 - 11:55
Desha
delicious dish

I'll just mention two things:
#1 I obviously respect your opinion and taste, but this album just appeals differently to me than it does to you. As we so often say, "one metalhead's trash is another metalhead's treasure".
#2 This record is the equivalent of your cat telling you that it has moved on with its life and so should you. Cats (and bands) are often like that.

Oh sure you enjoy it! I just was trying to explain what is frustrating to me as a long-time fan and how the two problems you found contradictory actually aren't
Problem is that this cat moved on with its life and decided to settle down right in the doorway and it's GETTING COLD GODDAMNIT
----
11.05.2021 - 23:02
Rating: 5
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
I will give this album credit for the sole purpose that this album beat DJ Khaled for being the best selling album in America this week. Anything rock or metal that beats processed music like that is something I must respect.
12.05.2021 - 01:26
JavierPaper
Written by Mehrad on 10.05.2021 at 10:29

They are not 100% gojira riffs, they tried to be 100% gojira riffs but they were mediocre.
12.05.2021 - 01:28
JavierPaper
Written by zeromus44 on 10.05.2021 at 19:59

In my opinion this sounds really bland and unspired. I guess old Gojira is dead and buried and this is the new Gojira post-Magma. They still sound like Gojira but as I said, more bland.

Some interesting riffs here and there, but apart from the first song I can't find one I enjoy from the beggining until the end.

I agree!
12.05.2021 - 01:41
JavierPaper
Written by Mehrad on 11.05.2021 at 08:07

Cats (and bands) are often like that.

no cat will stay in one place if you tell it to

The thing is, as you say:

If there is a cat that stays in one place forever, people will get bored and they will want the cat to do something new.

(I'm giving this cat example, but I'm talking about how it happens with bands).
12.05.2021 - 01:45
JavierPaper
Written by Gothic Metalhead on 11.05.2021 at 23:02

I will give this album credit for the sole purpose that this album beat DJ Khaled for being the best selling album in America this week. Anything rock or metal that beats processed music like that is something I must respect.

Well, that's not so bad
12.05.2021 - 01:51
JavierPaper
Written by Roman Doez on 09.05.2021 at 23:45

Positively surprised by this, as someone not really into gojira all that much I didn't have any expections and I ended up really liking a few songs in there. Other than that, eh.

Yes, the truth is that this year (not last year), I had very low expectations with the songs that had been released, but after listening to the whole album there are songs (very few) that are worth listening to.
12.05.2021 - 23:45
nikarg
staff
Written by Desha on 11.05.2021 at 11:55

I just was trying to explain what is frustrating to me as a long-time fan

I think the key is right here in this statement. This album is probably liked more by non-Gojira fans. I don't have a very large sample but people I know that couldn't stand Gojira in the past are quite positive towards Magma and even enthusiastic towards Fortitude.

I am actually happy that they are getting more attention and especially from crowd that is not really into metal. If you think about it, the metal bands that are considered to be really massive in the minds of mainstream music listeners are practically dinosaurs or close to that. And Gojira are becoming massive.

p.s. If someone told me 10 years ago that I would defend Gojira and their music in a discussion, I would laugh until my stomach would hurt.
13.05.2021 - 00:07
Desha
delicious dish
Written by nikarg on 12.05.2021 at 23:45

I think the key is right here in this statement. This album is probably liked more by non-Gojira fans. I don't have a very large sample but people I know that couldn't stand Gojira in the past are quite positive towards Magma and even enthusiastic towards Fortitude.

Ironically my wife got into gojira a bit last year (she doesn't like metal usually), but some of the old stuff like Art of Dying and Flying Whales lol
----
13.05.2021 - 00:58
JavierPaper

I am actually happy that they are getting more attention and especially from crowd that is not really into metal. If you think about it, the metal bands that are considered to be really massive in the minds of mainstream music listeners are practically dinosaurs or close to that. And Gojira are becoming massive.

p.s. If someone told me 10 years ago that I would defend Gojira and their music in a discussion, I would laugh until my stomach would hurt.

The thing is, in this band, for more than 10 years the albums are becoming more, more and more commercial that I think at some point in the band's career they are going to stop being metal and become an alternative rock band.

Maybe it's good that it gained a lot of popularity because it's not that it's a "bad" band, but I think that now it doesn't deserve so much respect.
13.05.2021 - 06:10
jawharessence
Since I totally disliked Magma, this album was satisfying.
14.05.2021 - 02:22
Rating: 8
CWA
I loved this album. I think it's a step up from Magma and a good new direction. Magma sounded the the beta test for a new direction and Fortitude sounds like the alpha version in my opinion.
14.05.2021 - 11:27
Mehrad

I'm a sucker for old and heavy af Gojira ( Terra Incognita being my 2nd favorite by them )
but I liked Magma , and Fortitude even more
and it's a good thing that their getting attention , eventually people would get into metal and many new people would discover their masterpieces like FMTS
----
14.05.2021 - 11:33
Mehrad
Written by JavierPaper on 13.05.2021 at 00:58

Maybe it's good that it gained a lot of popularity because it's not that it's a "bad" band, but I think that now it doesn't deserve so much respect.

many bands get so much hate just because they're popular
some people have never even heard the album and claim that it's shit because they get on the hate-wave
personally would always respect them , they connect with me the way no other band does ( Pink Floyd is another one )
just a personal taste thing
----
14.05.2021 - 11:39
Mehrad
Written by CWA on 14.05.2021 at 02:22

I loved this album. I think it's a step up from Magma and a good new direction. Magma sounded the the beta test for a new direction and Fortitude sounds like the alpha version in my opinion.

agreed
don't know how one would say Magma is better than Fortitude
although Magma good
----
18.05.2021 - 02:22
JavierPaper
Written by Mehrad on 10.05.2021 at 10:29

There are few riffs that practically "grab me" like Magma did.
18.05.2021 - 02:22
JavierPaper
Written by Mehrad on 14.05.2021 at 11:39

Written by CWA on 14.05.2021 at 02:22

agreed
don't know how one would say Magma is better than Fortitude
although Magma good

At least magma did not have tribal sounds
18.05.2021 - 02:29
JavierPaper
Written by Mehrad on 14.05.2021 at 11:33

Written by JavierPaper on 13.05.2021 at 00:58

many bands get so much hate just because they're popular
some people have never even heard the album and claim that it's shit because they get on the hate-wave
personally would always respect them , they connect with me the way no other band does ( Pink Floyd is another one )
just a personal taste thing

Yes, the thing is that just when Gojira had all that talent and potential people didn't know it that much, then Gojira started to have commercial sounds and only then, when Gojira lost a little bit of its potential, people had more respect for it than they should have had before, not now.

Hits total: 13568 | This month: 56