10. Down In The Dumps
11. Orbit
12. Skyfall

Disc II
01. Golden Times [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
02. Save My Hide [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
03. Pumpkins United [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
04. We Are Real [limited Japanese edition bonus]

The Best Power Metal Album, The Best Album Artwork & The Biggest Surprise Of 2021

Additional info
Produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and co-produced by Dennis Ward.
Mixed by Ronald Prent at Valhalla Studios in New York.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
No pressure Helloween, it's not like this will be the most anticipated power metal album released this decade or anything.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2021 | Comments (43)

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 169   Visited by: 1309 users
19.06.2021 - 00:42
Rating: 6
Redel
Uuuuuhhhhm, yeah a 6.
I did not find much here that kept my interest on the first spin.
Should I respin it to verify?
Well, I should.
...but I wont.
19.06.2021 - 01:09
Rating: 10
Júlio
Written by Redel on 19.06.2021 at 00:42

Uuuuuhhhhm, yeah a 6.
Well, I should.
...but I wont.

I think you should ... the album grows with every listen
19.06.2021 - 01:15
Rating: 6
Redel
Written by Júlio on 19.06.2021 at 01:09

Written by Redel on 19.06.2021 at 00:42

Uuuuuhhhhm, yeah a 6.
Well, I should.
...but I wont.

I think you should ... the album grows with every listen

...and I would. But you know, for that I need something that hooks on the first spin.
Here, there was almost nothing original I would say. I have heard all this a hundred times before (is my impression).
19.06.2021 - 01:42
Rating: 8
CWA
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.06.2021 at 16:43

I typically go out of my way to avoid power metal

I'm not trying to insult you but I'm guessing you're easily prone to pessimism. All the supposed metal fans friends I have that shun the power metal scene but cant get enough black and death metal are usually more bitchy, whinny and more easily irritated by the little things than the friends of mine who enjoy power metal . But to your credit you mentioned you will give it a shot making you better than my power metal hating friends already, lol.
19.06.2021 - 09:22
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Yep, it was pretty good for this style of Power Metal. Will probably be returning to a couple of songs from this.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.06.2021 - 09:49
MetalHead9494
Written by CWA on 19.06.2021 at 01:42

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.06.2021 at 16:43

I typically go out of my way to avoid power metal

I'm not trying to insult you but I'm guessing you're easily prone to pessimism. All the supposed metal fans friends I have that shun the power metal scene but cant get enough black and death metal are usually more bitchy, whinny and more easily irritated by the little things than the friends of mine who enjoy power metal . But to your credit you mentioned you will give it a shot making you better than my power metal hating friends already, lol.

I have a friend who is exactly the same. He can't stand power metal or any song with a positive vibe. He also is always irritated and pessimistic and has anger management issues.
19.06.2021 - 11:15
nikarg
staff
I have a friend who loves power metal and he is depressed. Maybe it's because he listens to power metal.

Are you people serious?
19.06.2021 - 12:26
MetalHead9494
Written by nikarg on 19.06.2021 at 11:15

I have a friend who loves power metal and he is depressed. Maybe it's because he listens to power metal.

Are you people serious?

I mean, everyone is different, but I do see such a pattern in people. I had some friends in the past as well who used to listen mainly to doom metal, and their whole vibe was negative. But of course some sad people would her happy music to feel better and vice versa
19.06.2021 - 13:05
Rating: 7
branco108
According to Kai Hansen they making songs together like on Keeper albums. Everyone comes with his song so album is little bit unballanced. Highlight is Skyfall for sure and most boring are Angels. But yes it is a good album but maybe little bit overhyped. And i dont like sound so much
19.06.2021 - 13:06
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
A remote friend of mine is ugly. Like really really ugly. His entire neck is littered with warts and he has a squint like a flounder.

His favorite genre is power metal.
----
signatures = SPAM
19.06.2021 - 13:14
Rating: 5
Novas
I'm mostly a huge fan of thrash. It's my favorite kind of metal. But my go-to is power metal, it's my "radio." And when I'm angry, I listen to death metal. I'm very open to all kinds of metal. And I'm a pretty laid-back, quiet guy who accepts the majority and doesn't let anything get under my skin and I don't care for very much. But with that being said, I too have noticed in my metalhead friends their personality toward specific metal genres. Those whom are coolheaded yet aggressive loves thrash/death and hates power metal. To me, power metal is a genre that tackles old-school heavy metal and AOR 80s music with a metal twist. It's not for everyone, especially those who only like aggressive metal and think metal is purely aggressive. They won't accept power metal because it's not "heavy" enough, same goes for metalcore. To them, if it has clean vocals, it's not metal. They wouldn't even consider Judas Priest or the heavy metal genre as Metal. But it is correct that certain music is accepted by people with certain emotions. Country, pop, rap - it effects everyone based on how they lived, what their growth environment was in their life, the experiences they went through. And they avoid other music because of the image it displays.
19.06.2021 - 13:24
Novas
I became a metalhead back in my high school days when I fell into depression, back in 2006. I came across Iced Earth and Kamelot. I say it's a good contrast between 2 different forms of metal. Developed a love for playing the drums and thrash metal. I was the only person in my school that listened to metal while everyone else were into country, pop, rap. In America, metal was dead. You only hear Metallica on any local radio nearly across every state. It's still somewhat dead. I think back in 2016, metal has been slowly coming back here. But I can honestly say, metalheads are more realistic yet level-headed about life and more in check with their emotions - no matter the metal genre - than people who do not listen to metal at all. I know without it, and all it's many subgenres, I wouldn't be who I am today.
19.06.2021 - 15:51
CWA
Written by MetalHead9494 on 19.06.2021 at 12:26

Written by nikarg on 19.06.2021 at 11:15

Are you people serious?

I mean, everyone is different, but I do see such a pattern in people. I had some friends in the past as well who used to listen mainly to doom metal, and their whole vibe was negative. But of course some sad people would her happy music to feel better and vice versa

That's exactly it. It's a pattern in temperament that I see as well. It's obviously not 100% but the strong pattern holds a general truth. Two of my friends in particular who are really drawn to the heavily nihilistic side of metal are the most miserable of my friends and it just comes down to the fact that you are what you input into yourself. If you consume nihilism you will be a nihilist; If consume shallowness and pessimism you process and then most likely output such qualities, and conversely If you consume heroism you will have a more heroic tendencies. I personally take pride in the fact that Ive never been a subgenre specific person (notwithstanding prog and symphonic, but those can be slapped on to anything), though I will try to avoid music that is down right degenerate. I dont prefer power metal over death, black etc and vice versa and unfortunately that's not the case for most metal fans I meet, at least where I live. With the exception of places like Japan and South America there seems to be a really bizarre crusade against power metal.
19.06.2021 - 15:56
CWA
Written by Novas on 19.06.2021 at 13:24

I became a metalhead back in my high school days when I fell into depression, back in 2006. I came across Iced Earth and Kamelot.

Very eerie, lol. This very line that you wrote applies exactly to my life, lol. The setting, the date, the emotion and the bands hahaha.
19.06.2021 - 16:01
CWA
Written by Starvynth on 19.06.2021 at 13:06

A remote friend of mine is ugly. Like really really ugly. His entire neck is littered with warts and he has a squint like a flounder.

His favorite genre is power metal.

That makes perfect sense. It's very hard to be ugly in such a superficial world. Power metal covers the positive themes of courage, triumph of the under dog and overcoming trials and tribulations better than most other genres out there. I'm sure those are the types of themes that keep him sane.
19.06.2021 - 19:07
Mehrad
Overrated. the vocals are really annoying to me, but it had some good interesting riffs.
it's way too long too, could have been like 50 minutes. some lyrics were a bit cringe.
I don't usually like power metal because it's overloaded with mediocracy and the melodies are over-done to hell and it's very goofy most of the time; but this album wasn't bad.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
19.06.2021 - 20:06
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by CWA on 19.06.2021 at 16:01

That makes perfect sense. It's very hard to be ugly in such a superficial world. Power metal covers the positive themes of courage, triumph of the under dog and overcoming trials and tribulations better than most other genres out there. I'm sure those are the types of themes that keep him sane.

Uhh, did I say he was sane? Because he's not.

But seriously now, I think it's rather the other way around. Because I really can't think of any other metal genre that sounds as artificial and superficial as power metal. The whole dungeons and dragons theme and the same old heroic sagas told over and over again seem incredibly antiquated, out of touch with reality and outright silly to me.

So power metal is music for mentally weak characters who are tired of their dreary existence and therefore prefer to escape into a fantasy world of brave swordsmen, beautiful princesses and mysterious wizards?
No. Because I would neither presume to be able to draw conclusions about the mental health of a complete fan base only on the basis of musical taste nor intend to generalize individual character traits as a mass phenomenon just because it's easy to recognize a pattern that I want to see.

On topic: Kiske saves this album, it's great to have him back.
----
signatures = SPAM
19.06.2021 - 21:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Some of the shouts about the power metal to be a personality savior and nihilism pessimism were dead rightly amusing.
19.06.2021 - 22:49
CWA
Written by Starvynth on 19.06.2021 at 20:06

Uhh, did I say he was sane? Because he's not.

But seriously now, I think it's rather the other way around. Because I really can't think of any other metal genre that sounds as artificial and superficial as power metal. The whole dungeons and dragons theme and the same old heroic sagas told over and over again seem incredibly antiquated, out of touch with reality and outright silly to me. So power metal is music for mentally weak characters who are tired of their dreary existence and therefore prefer to escape into a fantasy world of brave swordsmen, beautiful princesses and mysterious wizards?
No. Because I would neither presume to be able to draw conclusions about the mental health of a complete fan base only on the basis of musical taste nor intend to generalize individual character traits as a mass phenomenon just because it's easy to recognize a pattern that I want to see.

What would possess you to strawman and misrepresent an entire genre, lol? Don't sweat the little things my friend. I could miss represent Black and Death just as easily. Not to mention death and black, particularly black, metal bands literally have dungeons and dragons and wizards in their music as well. Not to mention zombies, aliens, black magic, vampires, werewolves, mythological figures etc. I guess they are all out of touch with reality too? Bands should just mature and be realistic and write about the soul sucking existence of the 9-5 working life or about just the unfairness of life in general. Who needs symbolism, allegory, and metaphor when you can have the unparalleled beauty of literalism. Also, I didnt draw conclusions about an entire fan bases mental health. I observed, recognized and mention a particular characteristic, which was pessimism, in metal fans who seem to have a hatred for the bright and clean sounds of metal, particularly power metal, but cant get enough of the dark and guttural sounds and the more wear-all-black side of metal. It's not a pattern I "want" to see, it's simple a pattern that is there.
20.06.2021 - 02:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff

I'm not insulted but for the sake of discussion I'll take the time to inform you that you're about as off-base as one could get by assuming my disposition based on my musical preferences. I won't speak to your anecdotal evidence supporting your opinion as that's about as flawed a system there is to corroborate a theory, but I will say that I listen to music (particularly outside of the metal spectrum) that rivals, if not surpasses, power metal's happy-go-lucky tropes.

As for the album, I stopped listening after the first two tracks for the same reasons I don't even bother investigating this genre save a few exceptions such as this. I can respect the musicianship and songwriting but this anthemic, jubilant, and energetic style of metal does absolutely nothing for me -- though I'm glad it exists for you.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.06.2021 - 02:30
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.06.2021 at 02:16

I'm not insulted but for the sake of discussion I'll take the time to inform you that you're about as off-base as one could get by assuming my disposition based on my musical preferences. I won't speak to your anecdotal evidence supporting your opinion as that's about as flawed a system there is to corroborate a theory, but I will say that I listen to music (particularly outside of the metal spectrum) that rivals, if not surpasses, power metal's happy-go-lucky tropes.

As for the album, I stopped listening after the first two tracks for the same reasons I don't even bother investigating this genre save a few exceptions such as this. I can respect the musicianship and songwriting but this anthemic, jubilant, and energetic style of metal does absolutely nothing for me -- though I'm glad it exists for you.

I was just reading through all the comments and I was just about to post " Troy don't listen to this" and I'm sorry I was too late
20.06.2021 - 02:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by JÄY on 20.06.2021 at 02:30

I was just reading through all the comments and I was just about to post " Troy don't listen to this" and I'm sorry I was too late

It's okay, you tried.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.06.2021 - 02:32
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
I really like this album. It's all I've been able to listen to for 4 days now (got the leak on Wednesday)
20.06.2021 - 05:59
CWA
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.06.2021 at 02:16

well, part of my assumption was also due in part to your user name, lol. There are many pessimistic and proud people out there and your comment, in conjunction with your user name, gave me that impression. Wasn't trying to put you in a box or anything, sorry if it came off that way. Just so people don't think I hate on pessimists, as they do have value, I will mention they are generally far less naïve than the optimist. Though one thing I am shocked to see from some people in this tread is that they have yet to recognize that psychological temperament and musical preference are linked. This is even addressed by the most hackneyed pop psychologist. Not that you need a psychologist to recognize the obvious.

Would also appreciate if you a shared a band or two that surpasses the "happy-go-lucky tropes" of power metal as you have me intrigued, but very skeptical.
20.06.2021 - 06:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff

well, part of my assumption was also due in part to your user name, lol. There are many pessimistic and proud people out there and your comment, in conjunction with your user name, gave me that impression. Wasn't trying to put you in a box or anything, sorry if it came off that way. Just so people don't think I hate on pessimists, as they do have value, I will mention they are generally far less naïve than the optimist. Though one thing I am shocked to see from some people in this tread is that they have yet to recognize that psychological temperament and musical preference are linked. This is even addressed by the most hackneyed pop psychologist. Not that you need a psychologist to recognize the obvious.

Would also appreciate if you a shared a band or two that surpasses the "happy-go-lucky tropes" of power metal as you have me intrigued, but very skeptical.

Uh, forgive the username -- it both serves as an homage to my favorite band at the time of joining (Insomnium) as well as expressing myself (as you so eloquently estimated, a pessimist). Sometimes I still play the persona for effect but I also recognize that as a Staff member and Moderator and Official Contributor and etc whatever, my facetiousness is unfortunately restricted to certain limits. Hence this truthful diatribe:

I should preface my response by acknowledging that your impression isn't entirely based in fiction, regardless of your aforementioned anecdotal experience. I've come across much of what you've relayed in this thread in my own life, for better or for worse. It's one of the reasons why "confessing" to people that I listen to metal is such a burdensome topic. Spoiled apples ruin the bunch, so to speak. But you don't have to apologize for putting me in that box -- it's almost compulsory given the facts at hand. At the end of the day, we're all in that box together. Unfortunately.

But you and I seem to be deviating beyond the nature of this thread, and considering neither of us are wackjob trolls intent on ruining discussion, feel free to PM me to continue this topic. We have the inherent benefit of being Canadian metalheads and that has to count for something. (Sorry.) (Excuses pour le désagrément occasionné.)

Also this band sucks. (I had to do it.)
----
20.06.2021 - 08:28
Mehrad
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.06.2021 at 06:31

Also this band sucks. (I had to do it.)

that caught me off guard
----
20.06.2021 - 10:53
Stormm
There was so massive hype over this album, that we probably already have most overated album of this year.
20.06.2021 - 11:37
Mehrad
I mean most metal is about crazy/unreal/"out of touch with reality"/fantasy stuff
for example you have the castles and dungeons, going to a battle in both power and black. there's themes of grotesque murders and being a powerful ultra man in death. dragons and fantasy stuff in heavy metal also. "weed king", "power of the riff lord", "black amps like mountains" (those are not that unreal lol) and that kind of stuff in stoner doom. doom in general is very fantasy driven too. killing god/worshipping Satan in black metal. there's a lot of that stuff going on.
it's funny that we in the metal community discriminate against people who like a specific kind of metal, and in the world, metalheads in general are considered Satanists, violent, perverts, weirdos, "out of touch with reality" and simply idiots.
----
20.06.2021 - 13:07
musclassia
staff

A mercifully sane statement amidst a thoroughly confusing album thread discussion

Yeah I've seen a few comments here complaining about him, but he's the obvious highlight of the album for me.
20.06.2021 - 13:14
JoHn Doe
I haven't had so much fun with a Helloween album in a very long time, a very pleasant surprise for me.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 23565 | This month: 89