10. Down In The Dumps
11. Orbit
12. Skyfall

Disc II
01. Golden Times [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
02. Save My Hide [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
03. Pumpkins United [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
04. We Are Real [limited Japanese edition bonus]

The Best Power Metal Album, The Best Album Artwork & The Biggest Surprise Of 2021

Additional info
Produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and co-produced by Dennis Ward.
Mixed by Ronald Prent at Valhalla Studios in New York.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
No pressure Helloween, it's not like this will be the most anticipated power metal album released this decade or anything.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2021 | Comments (43)

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 169   Visited by: 1309 users
20.06.2021 - 16:54
Rating: 10
Duck Dodgers
Written by Mehrad on 20.06.2021 at 11:37

... and in the world, metalheads in general are considered Satanists, violent, perverts, weirdos, "out of touch with reality" and simply idiots.

Which "world" are you referring to?
20.06.2021 - 16:56
Rating: 5
Mehrad
Written by Duck Dodgers on 20.06.2021 at 16:54

I meant to say ordinary people who don't listen to metal
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
20.06.2021 - 16:59
Mehrad
Written by musclassia on 20.06.2021 at 13:07

thoroughly confusing album thread discussion

it really is
----
20.06.2021 - 17:07
Duck Dodgers
Written by Mehrad on 20.06.2021 at 16:56

Written by Duck Dodgers on 20.06.2021 at 16:54

I meant to say ordinary people who don't listen to metal

Not in my part of the world.
20.06.2021 - 17:32
Mehrad
Written by Duck Dodgers on 20.06.2021 at 17:07

when someone finds out that you're a metalhead, don't they assume you are violent or you have some anger management/mental issues ?
I meant generally. maybe you haven't encountered these kind of people yet.
----
20.06.2021 - 23:00
Duck Dodgers
Written by Mehrad on 20.06.2021 at 17:32

Written by Duck Dodgers on 20.06.2021 at 17:07

when someone finds out that you're a metalhead, don't they assume you are violent or you have some anger management/mental issues ?
I meant generally. maybe you haven't encountered these kind of people yet.

No they don't. Been listening to Metal for more than 25 years. Must have been doing something right.
However, my love for Helloween is still the same since 25 years ago!
21.06.2021 - 09:15
Rating: 6
majormalfunction
Pleasantly surprised, not counting the great Hansen & Friends album this is the best Helloween related record since Rabbit Don't Come Easy/ Majestic
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
21.06.2021 - 11:26
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Reading posts from people who claim that people's mental dispositions are related to the sub-genre of metal they listen to - priceless.

As the old saying goes - it's better to remain silent and only look stupid than to open one's mouth and dispel all doubts.
21.06.2021 - 12:03
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Mehrad on 20.06.2021 at 11:37

and in the world, metalheads in general are considered Satanists, violent, perverts, weirdos, "out of touch with reality" and simply idiots.

Are you describing yourself? Thanks for this somehow redundant insight into your psyche.

But seriously, we must live in two separate worlds.
21.06.2021 - 12:44
Mehrad
Written by Daniell on 21.06.2021 at 12:03

Are you describing yourself? Thanks for this somehow redundant insight into your psyche.

But seriously, we must live in two separate worlds.

maybe I exaggerated. but yeah, in Iran for example metalheads are kinda not accepted in the society; like people don't expect you to listen to metal, not that they care or anything (some assholes do, unfortunately). yeah, I'm guilty of exaggeration.
the argument that people's mental health relates to the music they listen to is really dumb anyways.
----
21.06.2021 - 13:54
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by CWA on 19.06.2021 at 22:49

Not to mention death and black, particularly black, metal bands literally have dungeons and dragons and wizards in their music as well.

Yes, that's true, and I never said otherwise. We can readily agree that the lyrical content and the imagery of black and death metal are often just as silly as those of power metal. There is also a lot of overlap, because since Black Sabbath at the latest, the darker sides of (after)life and human abysses have been an integral part of metal lyrics.

But there is a big difference in this respect between the more extreme variants of metal and that of power metal. For in black and death metal, the reference to these very themes is already indicated by the definition of the respective genre. Needless to say, death metal is about death and gore - what else would it be? And of course Black Metal deals primarily with the dark sides of life instead of family holidays on the pony farm.
But I don't see this correspondence between imagery, sound and lyrics in power metal.
How do the uplifting power metal melodies and saccharine keyboard sounds of Gamma Ray, Powerwolf and Galneryus fit in with album titles like Empire Of The Undead, The Sacrament Of Sin and Into The Purgatory? In my humble opinion, it doesn't fit together at all, and that's exactly why power metal is usually only bearable for me in very small doses, if at all. And that has nothing to do with the alleged fact that I have no fun in life and that I am an incorrigible pessimist who wallows in his own suffering and the misery of the world all day long, but that the exaggerated cheerfulness of power metal simply does not appeal to me any more.

I grew up with power metal at the end of the eighties, bands like Manowar, Helloween and Blind Guardian were my introduction to heavy metal and I still have fond memories of their early albums. But that was over 30 years ago, and since then my taste has changed and evolved - just as metal has significantly evolved in three decades. Most of my friends feel the same way, they began with power/heavy/speed metal and now listen to black, death and doom. But none of them is suicidal and none of them has been admitted to a mental hospital yet.
Therefore, I can't really take your generalizing remote diagnosis seriously in any way. It's simply bizarre.

Written by CWA on 19.06.2021 at 15:51

That's exactly it. It's a pattern in temperament that I see as well. It's obviously not 100% but the strong pattern holds a general truth. Two of my friends in particular who are really drawn to the heavily nihilistic side of metal are the most miserable of my friends and it just comes down to the fact that you are what you input into yourself. If you consume nihilism you will be a nihilist; If consume shallowness and pessimism you process and then most likely output such qualities.

Written by CWA on 19.06.2021 at 22:49

Also, I didnt draw conclusions about an entire fan bases mental health. I observed, recognized and mention a particular characteristic, which was pessimism, in metal fans who seem to have a hatred for the bright and clean sounds of metal, particularly power metal, but cant get enough of the dark and guttural sounds and the more wear-all-black side of metal. It's not a pattern I "want" to see, it's simple a pattern that is there.

It's quite exhausting and tiring to have discussions with people who contradict themselves within a few hours. If just a few examples ("two of my friends") are enough for you to interpret an alleged pattern as fact, then you are clearly generalizing.
Either you have recognised a strong pattern or you haven't, you cannot have your cake and eat it.
So maybe we should better leave it at that.
----
signatures = SPAM
21.06.2021 - 18:08
Júlio
I am cheering so much for this album , everyday i look to the rating, hopping that it goes up... This album is so good , it is like a dream for every long time fan of Helloween ..
21.06.2021 - 18:35
Written by Duck Dodgers on 20.06.2021 at 23:00

No they don't. Been listening to Metal for more than 25 years. Must have been doing something right.
However, my love for Helloween is still the same since 25 years ago!

lucky you. nice little bubble you got there. Metalheads certainly are frowned upon and labelled unnecessarily, as is Metal music.

I've been listening to Metal since 2006 and tried to iintroduce it to friends, family and people online many times and mostly got told off with comments like "this is satan music", "are you ok? what's wrong with your life", "did you gf just leave you?"

there is very little understanding in the general public about metal music.. especially in my country, and as the guy stated, in Iran too. I can name many other countries if you wish me to.

even in the UK and US, metal is considered more satanic than nicki minaj showing her bum, or hip hop songs about murder, rape or drugs... if you are unaware of that, you really have spent life locked in a bubble :p
21.06.2021 - 18:36
About the album, can someone please tell me if there is a ballad on there? which song?

I like my power metal cheesy to begin with.
21.06.2021 - 18:51
Rating: 8
musclassia
Staff
Written by The Melting Snow on 21.06.2021 at 18:36

About the album, can someone please tell me if there is a ballad on there? which song?

This album is blissfully ballad-free
21.06.2021 - 20:27
Mehrad
Written by musclassia on 21.06.2021 at 18:51

Written by The Melting Snow on 21.06.2021 at 18:36

I hope it did though, could've balanced things out a little bit.
----
21.06.2021 - 21:21
musclassia
Staff
Written by Mehrad on 21.06.2021 at 20:27

Written by musclassia on 21.06.2021 at 18:51

I hope it did though, could've balanced things out a little bit.

Normally I'm a fan of shifting dynamics and tones between songs on albums, but I feel like power metal ballads have such a high miss-to-hit ratio that it's just not worth it most of the time
21.06.2021 - 21:56
chomskeet
I generally dislike power metal, however, this is a very solid release. Unsurprisingly the vocals really stand out. I would have to say that all things considered I'd much rather listen to Galneryus than this if I happen to be in a power metal kind of mood. I would say they are more musically focused (and neoclassical) vs Helloween which is more vocals oriented imo. Also, reading this discussion on stereotypes among metal subgenres is quite amusing. I have to say that that since I like a lot of subgenres and go to a lot of shows that many fans do neatly fit in subgenre stereotype boxes. This is especially true when the fans are single subgenre vs pan-subgenre. Also, just curious, how many metal fans actually read and pay attention to lyrics? I think that metal lyrics are generally horrible or just plain stupid and don't care at all. I think Ne Obliviscaris is the only metal band off the top of my head with stellar lyrics
22.06.2021 - 01:28
Júlio
So sad to see the Album drop to 8.49 ... but it is the will of the masses .. IMHO only the Keppers are above this album .
22.06.2021 - 01:54
Júlio
My order .
16. Chameleon
15. Pink Bubbles Go Ape
14. Gambling With The Devil
13. My God Given Right
12. 7 Sinners
11. Rabbit Don't Come Easy
10. Keeper Of The Seven Keys: The Legacy
9. Straight Out Of Hell
8. The Dark Ride
7. Master Of The Rings
6. Better Than Raw
5. Walls Of Jericho
4. Time Of The Oath
3. Helloween
2. Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt. I
1. Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt. II
22.06.2021 - 05:36
Rating: 9
mikeprado30
Well, nothing changes in Metalstorm. So many people bashing Power Metal releases "because YOLO"

So many absurds like "weak voices", "Out for the Glory weak song" (FREAKIN' REALLY? ), Kiske's "whiney voice" (GOD!!!!! ).

Better come back everybody of you to listen your blast beat feast with Cookie Monster groanings

Those things make me really loathe the toxicity Metal community has inside itself So many bashing to the effort of great musicians bringing a top-notch quality release like this one.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
22.06.2021 - 08:40
Mehrad
It's all about different tastes, but me hearing some old guy screaming "My Life ! Hands off !" is just ... I can't
----
22.06.2021 - 08:49
Tried 40-50 seconds of a couple of songs randomly. na. nothing to like there.

cringe vocals. predictable riffs. boring song structures.

Power Metal 101: Go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa aaaaaaaaaaaa weeeeeeeee" with the vocals. move your fingers on the fretboard at random with focus on speed even if there is no melody at all. make sure your lyrics say "glory, hell, heaven, eternity, star, skies and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Power Metal is for those of low IQ.
22.06.2021 - 08:51
Mehrad
Written by chomskeet on 21.06.2021 at 21:56

how many metal fans actually read and pay attention to lyrics?

I don't care for the lyrics 99 percent of the time, but I'd appreciate it if it's good. in this album, they're not good. sometimes to the point that it's really annoying (like the line I mentioned in my last comment).
----
22.06.2021 - 08:53
Mehrad
Written by The Melting Snow on 22.06.2021 at 08:49

Power Metal is for those of low IQ.

Oh god please, don't start it again
----
22.06.2021 - 09:13
Written by CWA on 19.06.2021 at 16:01

Power metal covers the positive themes of courage, triumph of the under dog and overcoming trials and tribulations better than most other genres out there.

I swear I hadn't read this comment when I said power metal is for those with low IQ

...and for those who feel like a hero after listening to a song about dragons.

When I was 6 I saw Spiderman and believed I will be Frog-man one day and jump all the way to Mars. Thank you Marvel for the positivity you brought in my life. You the Genre.
22.06.2021 - 10:29
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
I will have to remind you all that the genres I like are for good people.

The genres I don't like are for bad people.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
22.06.2021 - 11:06
Zap
Written by mikeprado30 on 22.06.2021 at 05:36

Well, nothing changes in Metalstorm. So many people bashing Power Metal releases "because YOLO"

So many absurds like "weak voices", "Out for the Glory weak song" (FREAKIN' REALLY? ), Kiske's "whiney voice" (GOD!!!!! ).

Better come back everybody of you to listen your blast beat feast with Cookie Monster groanings

Those things make me really loathe the toxicity Metal community has inside itself So many bashing to the effort of great musicians bringing a top-notch quality release like this one.

Where is all this bashing? I went through the entire thread, by far most comments praise the album, a few call it overrated, no one is bashing power metal as far as I can tell. (well maybe one comment, but it was posted after yours) Those that dislike the album are pointing out why; or they are not generally into power metal but still gave it a shot.
As for toxicity, this thread remained surprisingly civil, even when going wildly off topic. A terrible example of "toxicity in the metal community".
Stop playing the victim on every power metal album thread just because not everyone agrees with you that this is some kind of masterpiece. Just because there is good musicianship here doesn't mean everyone has to like it. If all you want is praise for the things you like, go to Youtube where the top comments will usually be the ones praising the video you're watching.
22.06.2021 - 11:46
JoHn Doe
Written by mikeprado30 on 22.06.2021 at 05:36

why do you keep stating the same thing over and over again, ignore all counterarguments to your statement, myself included, twice

It's not about blast beats and growls, I can't get into a lot of extreme metal, but i can't get into euro-power either. It's predictable, corny and cheesy most of it. People stating that is not an attack on you, it's just their opinion.

I enjoyed the new Helloween immensely, it was a pleasant surprise how great the songwriting is. There you go...
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
22.06.2021 - 11:52
Mehrad
Written by RaduP on 22.06.2021 at 10:29

I will have to remind you all that the genres I like are for good people.

The genres I don't like are for bad people.

if you were a "true" metalhead, you would like the metal I like
----

Hits total: 23571 | This month: 95