05. Fuel Injected Suicide Machine
06. Collapse
07. Manufactured Hope
08. Cognitive Dissonance
09. Monolith
10. End Of Line

The Best Industrial / Cyber / Electronic Metal Album Of 2021

Additional info
Produced and engineered by Damien Rainaud.
Mixed by Andy Sneap.
Artwork created by Francesco Artusato.

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
And the beat goes on.

Read more ››
published 19.06.2021 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
Brutal Water
Rating:
Expectations were high for this album. Singer Burton C. Bell, up until now the only consistent member of the band, has quit Fear Factory for the third and presumably final time. While guitarist Dino Cazares confirmed that Fear Factory will continue without Bell, many longtime fans remain skeptical whether any future replacement singer can live up to Bell's legacy and would therefore love to see the "old" Fear Factory go out with a bang.

Read more ››
published 27.07.2021 | Comments (7)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 445 users
16.06.2021 - 13:38
Rating: 8
Brutal Water

Since I'm still somewhat new to MS (at least to the forums) I was wondering if we're allowed to talk about leaked-but-not-yet-officially-released albums without getting curbstomped. (I've preordered and already paid for the album, so it's not like I'm cheating the artist out of money.)

Anyway, after only one listen I'm happy with the album, though things may change a dozen more spins later. The first half is pretty cool and all, but to me it sounded like FF on autopilot. Good stuff, but it's just what you'd expect from FF.

The second half made a much better first impression overall. I can see Collapse, Manufactured Hope, Cognitive Dissonance and Monolith becoming my favorites of this album (even if Monolith is somewhat radio-friendly and mainstream). End of Line is surprisingly NOT the usual mellow closer, which is nice, though I would have been totally fine with something slow and soft like most of FF's album closers. Considering this is Burton C. Bell's last FF album it would have been nice to end things a bit more traditionally. Although this is the third time he quit the band, so never say never.
----
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
16.06.2021 - 22:29
Rating: 4
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Brutal Water on 16.06.2021 at 13:38

Since I'm still somewhat new to MS (at least to the forums) I was wondering if we're allowed to talk about leaked-but-not-yet-officially-released albums without getting curbstomped.

Discuss away. We do have a 30-day grace period from the release date for official reviews before guest reviews will be accepted, but forum comments are always encouraged.

Just avoid sharing any links to illegal means of accessing the music you're discussing, as that will immediately get you permabanned.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.06.2021 - 01:43
Brutal Water

Got it, thanks for the info!
----
18.06.2021 - 01:40
Archie 666

Good album. Shame Burton left but I understand if you can't survive on factory wages (I just can't get enough of this joke hehe)
18.06.2021 - 11:33
s_t_s

I've also downloaded the album almost a week ago. Not quite sure what to think about it. It is filled with energy and punchy riffs and drums, yet no song really makes it out of the lot. I will buy the album being a FF fan since the nineties but as a tribute to Burton C. Bell. Without him this is the end of it, no matter what Dino says. Every song comes with a lot of eletronic, mostly sounding like tekno stuff more than the usual industrial tone. There are also a lot of introductory words and I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy as the album seems to tell a story the way Obsolete did decades ago. Not a bad album so far but cannot compare to Genexus which is great imo.
18.06.2021 - 17:46
Rafael Pereira
Account deleted
This is my third listen, yet I get nothing but a WTFIT feeling. Where's the industrial aggressive-spanking sound? The insane screaming vocals, the riffle-shot drums along fast and massively heavy riffs? Are you serious this is FF? Because I must be nuts, but I felt like listening to a bit heavier version of some of the last In Flames albums, and that sucks at a top level. The lyrics? Damn! Didn't give it a 4 because I respect these guys a lot, but this surely is one of the biggest letdowns in a long time for me.
18.06.2021 - 18:42
Rating: 9
metalbrat

Feel sorry that the album got leaked earlier itself. I think most have already listened to it by now.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
18.06.2021 - 20:23
Rating: 10
Khold Baroness

Why this brilliant and a masterpiece of " brute force" so low recognition and a low rate? I don't understand you " people of metal " . Or it's because the band are from USA ( some hate here ? ) I'm a huge fan from FF and this album is by far one of the big 3. For all the haters...think again and listen carefully the entire album and give him justice ( 9/10 ).
18.06.2021 - 21:07
Rafael Pereira
Account deleted
I've been noticing many metal bands have been giving in to the temptation of replacing many of their elemental sonic characteristics with massive electronic effects. It might work for some, but it does get horrible and garble the band's originality and the experience you expect to have by listening to it. And there are very high doses of this problem happening here. I'm not stupid to ignore that industrial metal is about mixing metal with electronica, but I'll always expect from an industrial metal band more prominence in their metalish approach. This record gets shallower and shallower as you play on the tracklist until you finish it with a sensation of ears unfilled while your brain still have a craving for some true Fear Factory thing.

Maybe this is not a good time for me to enjoy (or I'll never really do) a disc like this, but always being so clear about my feelings, this is the only genuine way to express myself about it.
18.06.2021 - 21:29
Novas

Wow, this was pretty good. The first half sounded like "Obsolete"-era, taking a step back from their previous releases. But then get brutal once "Fuel Injected" comes on, and doesn't stop - except for "Monolith". Real drummer, like with the previous album. Bell sings on every song, even the heavy ones, which is nice & melodic. Sounds more metalcore that way. But sadly, this is his last release with the band (f**k you Dino!). But I'll be putting this on repeat for a day or two 🤘
18.06.2021 - 22:59
FYA
Destroyer
Guitar sounds very clean and "digital", but as usual - Dino is nothing more than a mechanic-riffing generator, so from this side I have nothing to complain.
But there's something missing in this album, and I am not really sure what.
And what is going on with all the electronics being replaced with symphonic parts?
18.06.2021 - 23:06
Mr. Mackey

Not sure what to think yet.
My expectations were maybe too high, especially after hearing Fuel Injected Suicide Machine. Long time since I heard such a great Fear Factory song! Unfortunately, no other song touches its brilliance in my opinion. Especially regarding the chorus. The album starts cool and omnious with recode and there are a lot of layered instruments, melodies and cool riffs to enjoy, but the album also becomes a bit too bombastic for my taste. It is still my favorite band, so let's give it another 100 spins to let it grow.
19.06.2021 - 01:06
Brutal Water

A couple of spins later I'm pretty confident that Manufactured Hope, Cognitive Dissonance and Monolith will be my go-to tracks of this album (but again, things may change in the future when I've listened to those tracks way too many times and rediscover some of the other songs). Collapse is pretty cool too.

I didn't care much for Disruptor when it was first revealed, but it's growing on me. Fuel Injected Suicide Machine on the other hand I liked right off the bat, but now that I've heard the rest of the album some more, I'm a bit baffled that they chose this track over some of the others mentioned above for their second reveal. It's a good song and all, but IMO there are better ones on this album.

Purity is the weakest track for me. I don't hate it or anything, but I find it a bit dull and during the last few spins I was tempted to skip it (but didn't, because I have a soft spot for FF, it being one of the two bands that got me into Metal in the first place).
----
19.06.2021 - 15:37
Rating: 7
Cake9001

Decent send off because good luck doing a Fear Factory tour, let alone album without Bell.
19.06.2021 - 21:04
VileVick-Bryant

Not to bad favorite tracks are Disruptor, Purity, Monolith, and End Of Line
21.06.2021 - 12:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Who's singer here
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.06.2021 - 14:15
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Bad English on 21.06.2021 at 12:34

Who's singer here

That's a rather strange question. Burton Christopher Bell, maybe?
----
signatures = SPAM
23.06.2021 - 05:24
Rating: 7
Aries Rising

Written by Starvynth on 21.06.2021 at 14:15

Written by Bad English on 21.06.2021 at 12:34

Who's singer here

That's a rather strange question. Burton Christopher Bell, maybe?

Have there been any rumors as to who might be the replacement singer?
23.06.2021 - 10:38
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Aries Rising on 23.06.2021 at 05:24

There've been plenty of rumors circulating that either Mark Hunter ( Chimaira), Howard Jones (ex- Killswitch Engage) or even Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta gonna take on the job, but the last thing Dino said was "I kind of wanna give an unknown guy a shot", so I really don't know.
----
signatures = SPAM
23.06.2021 - 23:35
mariano

I think this a solid release. Nothing really original for the standards of this band, yet it features the best of their sound ...and the production is a tad better compared to the previous release, which was quite good already.
26.06.2021 - 12:24
Brutal Water

Written by Starvynth on 23.06.2021 at 10:38

There've been plenty of rumors circulating that either Mark Hunter ( Chimaira), Howard Jones (ex- Killswitch Engage) or even Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta gonna take on the job, but the last thing Dino said was "I kind of wanna give an unknown guy a shot", so I really don't know.

Yeah, it's probably gonna be some unknown nobody, because actual famous singers wouldn't tolerate Dino's bullshit very long.
----
27.06.2021 - 23:43
s_t_s

Written by Starvynth on 23.06.2021 at 10:38

Written by Aries Rising on 23.06.2021 at 05:24

Whoever Dino finds it won't be the same FF as we used to know with Burton C. Bell and I strongly doubt the band will reinvent with a new singer. This is most probably the last FF album I will buy. I have strong memories of gigs with the band even though we all know that Burton has never been so good livewise esp when trying to sing...
04.07.2021 - 22:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Brutal Water on 17.06.2021 at 01:43

Guest review when?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.07.2021 - 09:58
Brutal Water

Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.07.2021 at 22:24

Written by Brutal Water on 17.06.2021 at 01:43

Guest review when?

Eh, I'm no good at writing reviews. I get hung up on details and end up talking about one small aspect while barely mentioning more important ones. I can practice, but I've never written essays that didn't read like total shit.
----
06.07.2021 - 21:44
Brutal Water

You know what? Fuck it, I'll give it a try and write a review after all. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? It gets rejected and that's about it. The time spent on it won't be a waste, because I'll be listening to FF during it.

Give me a couple of days and I'll have something ready.
----
08.07.2021 - 13:20
X-FrEaK

Wow my expectations were very very low even being a long time Fear Factory fan, but this was actually a good surprise. Now without Burton doesnt make sense to keep the band going under the moniker of Fear Factory, his voice is irreplaceable (yeah I know, Nightwish, bla bla bla).

Although Burton was miserable in his live performances, his voice (both his gutural and his clean) is too characteristic, good luck Dino lol
----
18.07.2021 - 14:31
Brutal Water

I'm still working on the guest review and I have doubts whether people will even care or see the album from a new angle. I suppose the best reactions it would get is a shrug and a lazy thumbs-up.

Grah, I've been polishing and re-writing passages for a while now. I don't know how other, more pro, reviewers go about these things. If anybody has seen the Stephen King/George RR Martin interview, well, I think I'm more of a Martin type of writer.

For example, you'd expect a review on a metal forum to talk about the individual instruments. What can I possibly say about the bass on this album? It's there, but it doesn't stick out in any way.
----
18.07.2021 - 19:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Brutal Water on 18.07.2021 at 14:31

It's there, but it doesn't stick out in any way.

You could flesh out a short paragraph about that exact thing tbh.
----
18.07.2021 - 20:05
Brutal Water

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.07.2021 at 19:32

Written by Brutal Water on 18.07.2021 at 14:31

It's there, but it doesn't stick out in any way.

You could flesh out a short paragraph about that exact thing tbh.

You're right, I should just try that.
----
30.07.2021 - 17:47
metalbrat

I am neither a fan of the genre nor of FF but still I liked few tracks especially second half of the album.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘

Hits total: 6653 | This month: 14