02. Métal Noir
03. Sacrifice De Sang
04. Ex-Cathédrale
05. Hymne Au Vampire (Acte III)
06. Les Océans Du Vide
07. Le Triomphe De Lucifer
08. Les Océans Du Vide [bonus] [synth version]
09. Sacrifice De Sang [bonus] [synth version]

It's French black metal. What more do you want?

Seth's origins are entrenched and entwined in Season Of Mist's, signifying, in a sense, a roundabout return to form that accentuates bullet belts and leather vests as much as pristine production and philosophically charged ideologies. And while Les Blessures De L'âme deserves its own contextualized appreciation for its cult following and underground impact, La Morsure Du Christ further establishes the band's significance as they look to carve out a particular niche in black metal's storied history with a grandiose performance harkening back to the earliest renditions of the genre -- a history they helped develop.

But this isn't a project limited to being relegated to the past. This is a band rejuvenated and refreshed, and there are plenty of worthy headlines to capture the ire of a group of anti-Christian misanthropists to derive lyrical inspiration from.

Anyone even passively familiar with the Notre-Dame de Paris incident in 2019 where the iconic cathedral became engulfed in flames will either scorn this album's cover art or support it for highlighting the downfall of a religious institution. For a band like Seth, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that the music therein is an emerging force straight out of the mid- to late-'90s, only modernized. The bombastic and unrelenting nature carries with it the pent-up rage induced by nearly a decade of silence, delivered efficiently in a palatable 44-minute duration. It's a structurally sound and thoughtful album all around, with a pinpoint mix and organic feel despite the heavy synth usage, and the natural storytelling flow within each track highlights the chemistry of this revamped line-up. Not a moment goes to waste.

Newly appointed vocalist Saint Vincent's ferocity cuts through the music like a knife with his raspy shrieks and growls, bringing a different dynamic to the band's sound compared to Black Messiah's somewhat deeper pitched approach. His intensity is matched equally by the rest of the unexpectedly cohesive supporting cast, firing on all cylinders with a newfound sense of confidence and maturity only hinted at in The Howling Spirit, which tended to borrow too much from others as opposed to serving as a vehicle of creation for their own unique product. La Morsure Du Christ couldn't be more Seth if it tried.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written on 01.08.2021 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 160 users
01.08.2021 - 19:43
Rating: 9
Uxküll

Echo this review to the letter, one of the best black metal releases of 2021 and Seth's best album to date.
----
"Nullum unquam exstitit magnum igenium sine aliqua dementia [there was never great genius without some madness]."

Best of Metal A-Z: http://metalstorm.net/users/lists.php?user_id=158339
01.08.2021 - 20:03
nikarg

What Troy and Uxküll above me said. Upper echelon black metal. The cover art rules too.
02.08.2021 - 05:13
Rating: 8
tintinb

This album was a great album. Tight black metal pwrformance. A solid 8/10 from me.
----
Leeches everywhere.
03.08.2021 - 14:25
Rating: 9
Frozen Catalyst

Top album, learnt some French too. 😬
03.08.2021 - 18:09
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Words and score have me fired up to check it out. nice work, rocketed up my 2021 listen to queue.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.08.2021 - 01:12
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Intense album with a nice retro black metal vibe "a la Francaise", and very catchy for being BM. Good review Troy!
04.08.2021 - 03:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its like journey back to time when BM was young in all countries . amazing one
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.08.2021 - 12:06
Deadsoulman

Unsurprisingly good album. Seth have been reliably putting out good albums for over two decades. They're one of the most consistent French BM bands. It's the level of goodness that's surprising. Their older albums had a tendency to meander at some points, this one goes straight to the point. Pretty catchy stuff, too.
26.08.2021 - 12:56
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
That cover art is pretty fucking brave for a French band! If you're into medieval architecture you'll be mourning the loss of such an important structure, regardless of its function. I enjoyed the album a lot - even the symphonic elements which are usually a bit of a turn off for me. To quote Borat: 'Very nice, I like.'

Hits total: 3074 | This month: 33