08. Rosario
09. Il Signore Degli Anelli Dello Stadio
10. Gabonzo Robot
11. Sulle Aliquote Della Libertà
12. Der Fluch Des Kapt'n Iglo
13. El Baile Del Viejo Que Mira Las Obras
14. Formia [digital bonus]
15. Biancodolce [digital bonus]

Mamma mia, this is Italian folk metal (la-la-la-la). As is the case with many parody acts, Nanowar Of Steel's impressive musical talents and versatility often go underappreciated by those who either don't get the joke or dismiss them because of their humorous nature. I, like most of you, do not speak Italian, so this album may be our first chance to experience Nanowar Of Steel on a purely musical level.

Nanowar Of Steel have been as incomprehensible as any band on the metal circuit these last few years. 2018's Stairway To Valhalla finally converted me into a fan, tempering 15 years of scattershot vulgarity and Jackson Pollock-style Manowar references into a collection of clever skits and makeshift anthems both consistently amusing and legitimately listenable. They followed up that album with two of the best singles of the decade, "Norwegian Reggaeton" and "Valhallelujah", whose ground-breaking musical ambitions you may grasp from the titles. Then there was this, and that's *very* different, and then there was this one, too, and I enjoy them but I don't speak Italian (just to remind you), so I haven't the faintest idea of what is going on either in the songs or in the comments sections. And wouldn't you know it, their latest studio album has absolutely nothing to do with any of those things.

The packaging speaks truth: this is a bona fide Italian folk metal album, and an uncommonly dedicated one at that ("We take parody very seriously," after all). According to the press kit, each song incorporates a different style of Italian folk music and is stuffed with folklore, not to mention guest appearances from prominent Italian metal musicians, and of course all the lyrics are in Italian (with the exception of German and Spanish versions of "La Maledizione di Capitan Findus" tacked onto the end). There are folk metal bands from Italy, but I'm not sure to what extent specifically Italian folk metal has any precedent - "folk metal" in Southern and Central Europe usually connotes a generic pan-Celtic sound - so if Folkstone, Furor Gallico, Elvenking, or their kindred have any claim to origination, it's news to me (a consequence of being generally unfamiliar with traditional Italian music).

Nanowar Of Steel already fused metal with reggaeton and gospel in this review, so they don't necessarily need credit for inventing another thing. By now, you may be possessed by a more important question (Italian-speakers, look away for a moment): how are you, a non-Italian-speaker, to appreciate an album full of jokes if you can't even understand them? Well, one answer is that, much like with Weird Al Yankovic, the patron saint of parody, I've found that the best Nanowar Of Steel experience comes from watching their music videos, which explain the crude nonsense and come with subtitles. But not every song is going to come with a video, and if you want to throw on an album in the car or on a jog or while removing a sword from a stone, you're (hopefully) not staring at a screen. That's where Nanowar Of Steel's underrated chops come into play.

Even without intelligible lyrics, the music speaks for itself, for Nanowar Of Steel always built their mirthmaking on skillful send-ups; one of my favorite things about this album is how "La Maledizione di Capitan Findus" still sounds like they're making fun of Rhapsody even though it primarily sounds like they're making fun of Alestorm, and it's a heck of an exciting aquatic anthem with or without captioning. "Gabonzo Robot" is more of a tribute to haphazardly dubbed anime shown on Italian TV decades ago than it is a reconstitution of actual Italian folk music, but it perfectly captures that "beginning-of-anime hero intro" sound - and before you go complaining that you're getting shorted on your authentic throwbacks, just try and dance along to "La Mazurka del Vecchio che Guarda i Cantieri" or "Scugnizzi of the Land of Fires." The sharp focus of Stairway To Valhalla carries over to Italian Folk Metal; the musicianship is impeccable, the production is springy and brawny, and the versatile vocals of Potowotominimak and Mr. Baffo facilitate the numerous contrasts in texture throughout the album. Some tracks sound reasonably close to your typical power/folk metal anthem-style compositions ("La Polenta Taragnarock" and the aforementioned "La Maledizione di Capitan Findus" should be able to hook you unawares, while "L'Assedio di Porto Cervo" will ensnare those in search of something darker and heavier), but other tracks offer me no easy point of comparison, being so thoroughly infused with a traditional Italian flavor that I've never heard elsewhere in this exact combination.

I may have no idea what's going on most of the time, but Italian Folk Metal is still likely to find itself somewhere on my 2021 list when this is all said and done. A catchy and ripping folk metal anthem will always transcend language barriers, and in between those blood-pumping Rhapsody rewrites, there are plenty of curious tunes that reveal the potential of yet one more genre fusion to fall in servitude before Nanowar Of Steel. I do hope that we'll get a full album of Norwegian reggaeton some day, but it really feels like Nanowar Of Steel has just begun to uncover its true power - both as a joke band and as a pusher of real boundaries.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 13.08.2021 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 162 users
13.08.2021 - 17:10
Taravilyaion

Quote:
... so this album may be our first chance to experience Nanowar Of Steel on a purely musical level.

Like all their other albums musically sucked...
----
"The best violence against one is the violence no one ever forgets.."
13.08.2021 - 17:27
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Taravilyaion on 13.08.2021 at 17:10

Quote:
... so this album may be our first chance to experience Nanowar Of Steel on a purely musical level.

Like all their other albums musically sucked...

Not at all. In fact, that's entirely the opposite of what I said several times throughout the review. What I'm saying is that all their other albums are in English, so you have the opportunity to get in on the joke (excusing the fact that some, like this, don't really need to be understood to be appreciated), whereas all you can readily appreciate on this album is the music itself (unless you happen to speak Italian).
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
13.08.2021 - 18:06
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I will put ketchup up my pizzza in honor of this album
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
13.08.2021 - 23:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Mm, interesting...
I always thought this band was a Manowar parody and therefore I assumed it sounded similar except that with... funny gags! bahaaa!

But if they are doing actual different stuff might as well check this out.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.08.2021 - 00:32
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Karlabos on 13.08.2021 at 23:43

Mm, interesting...
I always thought this band was a Manowar parody and therefore I assumed it sounded similar except that with... funny gags! bahaaa!

But if they are doing actual different stuff might as well check this out.

I haven't delved too far into their back catalogue, but my impression of them matched yours up until I listened to Stairway to Valhalla and learned that they had started writing actual songs. And this album is another step removed from that, so it might well be their most palatable to a broader audience. I'd say Italian Folk Metal is worth checking out even if you don't know or don't like their older stuff.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
14.08.2021 - 03:34
metalwolf

I've been following them for a while now, and I always admired the musicianship. Yep, it's parody but Nanowar is more than just that.
But the band is as bonkers as it can get: they actually did an "Ikea tour" (without of course informing the Ikea stores) until Covid put a (temporary) end to it. And when La Polenta Taragnarock was released you could even buy that polenta for a while.

Oh yeah...and then there's their daytime jobs: one of the members is a software engineer and another one is an astrophysicist...
----
----------------------------------------------------------
Cthulhu for President! Why settle for the lesser evil?
16.08.2021 - 11:08
nikarg

They are talented musicians and all but, for me, most of the fun comes from the lyrics. "Norwegian Reggaeton" is the pinnacle of parody in every sense; the music, the lyrics, the video. Maybe it is because I don't speak Italian, but I did not find this album enjoyable with the exception of "La Polenta Taragnarock". In fact, I did not even finish the album. Sorry.

I like the review though.
16.08.2021 - 11:09
Mehrad

Written by RaduP on 13.08.2021 at 18:06

I will put ketchup up my pizzza in honor of this album

You don't do it normally ?
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
17.08.2021 - 23:44
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by nikarg on 16.08.2021 at 11:08

They are talented musicians and all but, for me, most of the fun comes from the lyrics. "Norwegian Reggaeton" is the pinnacle of parody in every sense; the music, the lyrics, the video. Maybe it is because I don't speak Italian, but I did not find this album enjoyable with the exception of "La Polenta Taragnarock". In fact, I did not even finish the album. Sorry.

Yeah, the reggaeton and the pop parody songs were the only ones I could listen to as well. Musicalwise this album is too... Regular folk melodic metal for my taste
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
19.08.2021 - 12:48
Mehrad

Written by nikarg on 16.08.2021 at 11:08

Did you hear the Iranian pop song cover that they did ? "Esce ma non mi rosica". They wrote the lyrics like what they heard, not the translation. Like, it's "Eshghe mano midozdan" which means "They will steal my love (the girl I love)". It's pretty funny.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
19.08.2021 - 14:54
nikarg

Written by Mehrad on 19.08.2021 at 12:48

Did you hear the Iranian pop song cover that they did ? "Esce ma non mi rosica". They wrote the lyrics like what they heard, not the translation. Like, it's "Eshghe mano midozdan" which means "They will steal my love (the girl I love)". It's pretty funny.

Yeah, I've heard it and I like it. The italianized farsi sounds funny.
03.01.2022 - 05:50
Fishchip

Everyone's ignoring the absolutely bonkers brilliance of Il Signore degli Anelli dello Stadio? I can only guess from the general reaction that it's just an unfathomable wall of Italian that they haven't seen the video. Do some of those encompassed tunes sound familiar? Surely they do. The first half of this album, plus that song, completely makes it for me.

Hits total: 3266 | This month: 16