Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Next! - The Future Of Metal Storm

Dear Metal Stormers,

As you may have noticed, the site has undergone a few adjustments in recent months. We're now letting you in on what's happening and what that means for the site and its community.

We have deactivated ads (except for one, which was a miscommunication on our part that we had to make up for), database issues have become so few and far between that most of us in the team have now forgotten they ever existed, several dry-aged and matured bugs of old have simply disappeared, and in a few select spots, new shiny UI features have come to light.

There is a reason for this, and today we're letting you in on it. Metal Storm has undergone a change of ownership. The project that was previously the brainchild of and hand-crafted by our founder, Ivan, is now firmly in the hands of a newly founded nonprofit entity and thereby owned and operated by a team of current staff.

What does that mean for the site?

Initially, not much. ScreamingSteelUS will remain our beloved EIC and the rest of the team will continue doing what they have for years now.

One change some of you will have realized by now is that corrupt has taken over the site's development. He is both hunting down old bugs and preparing for a move to a new server right now. We also have more technological revamp planned and are working on that as well.

While there will be changes to the site in the future, don't expect or fear a big overhaul overnight. We love Ivan's design and have no plan to surprise you with a whole new version of Metal Storm out of the blue. Instead, you will see a constant small-step evolution and we will collect your feedback along the way to make the site we have loved and devoted so much of our time to for almost 18 years now the best platform we can for all of us.

What is going to happen next?

Our current plan is to move the site to new infrastructure on the weekend of September 11th/12th. During that time, the site will be down for a couple of hours while corrupt does the magic. We are already testing the new setup and things are looking good, but seeing that we are a small team of volunteers, unforeseen things can always happen and we are looking at the weekend of September 18th/19th as a backup date. Naturally we'll keep you posted, should that be necessary.

Once the move is done, we'll be relying on you! Much of the site's code is quite old. While we're hard at work to guarantee smooth operation on modern infrastructure, there will most likely be issues at first. Expect to find bugs we have missed in our own testing, wrong hard-coded information here and there, slowdowns, database hiccups, you name it. We are reserving a whole weekend for the move to be able to make adjustments to the infrastructure and closely monitor its operation for a few days while all of you have a chance to poke around. There will be a thread for you to report your findings, ask questions, and pat us on the shoulder for what will hopefully be a job well-done

What you can expect right after the move, however, is HTTPS across the whole site, full UTF-8 support in both the site and the database (that means you can use any character set from any language without the site garbling your text), and general performance improvements both from the new infrastructure and ongoing database optimization in the background.

How are we planning to finance this?

Honestly, we haven't agreed on a plan yet. For the time being, our cost is covered out of our own pockets. Ads are always an option, but one that none of us are really keen on. However, there is precedent for community-funded projects out there and we will definitely try that and see whether that covers our expenses. Many of you have previously voiced a desire to help fund the team and we're hoping that that will be enough for the site to run completely without ads and maybe even finance a few projects we have yet to come up with.

That won't mean we'll create a Patreon or Gofundme account and start releasing exclusive content. Metal Storm will always be free and 100% accessible to anyone anywhere (as long as they adhere to our community guidelines). But we will create a way for you to help fund the project on a completely voluntary basis. Not right off the bat, but you can expect updates on that soon. Also, as you know, on April 1st, this policy can always change for a day

Am I required to do anything?

No. Metal Storm is and will continue to be a community project. We welcome your help in maintaining our database; suggesting features; keeping the community healthy, welcoming, and inclusive; reporting news; and telling us our opinion sucks below every odd review. But if you prefer to just linger and post the occasional shout, that is fine with us.

Server time will change from Estonian to German time, but we will adjust all your profiles automatically. If you have set your time zone offset correctly for your current location now, it should still be correct after the move.

If problems should arise, we may be a little slow to respond for a few days and that may or may not have an effect on the submission of news, articles, or reviews.

We're excited to finally share this big development with all of you and are really looking forward to what the future of Metal Storm holds.

Your Metal Storm staff, elites, and contributors.

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 05.09.2021 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 86   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 667 users
03.09.2021 - 12:57
Byners

Now that's some good news!
I wish I could also help but my full time job makes it difficult to find free time...
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
03.09.2021 - 19:04
InnerSelf
proofread free
Thanks for everything Ivan and best of luck to the new Team. You guys rock!
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
03.09.2021 - 20:19
Oracles

This site will suck until Attack Attack! gets a dedicated profile.
03.09.2021 - 20:37
Gesualdo

Thank you very much for your work... and good luck in this new phase!!
03.09.2021 - 21:02
HiddenDictator

I wish you all the best of luck in this transition! This website reallly renovated my love for the metal scene and I appreciate all the hardwork the volunteers put into making it work. Thank you.
----
04.09.2021 - 00:16
Whitefish

Thanks for all your work, folks and all the best \m/
04.09.2021 - 09:06
sgtrobo

Well this is my favorite metal site on the intrawebz, and I love not getting the "database has shit the bed" error message all the time like we were for awhile, so I'm pretty happy about this, thanks a bunch!
04.09.2021 - 10:01
The Melting Snow

Do you guys offer internships?

I'm something of a coder myself.
04.09.2021 - 18:20
Rapid Fire

I think I'll never be able to thank the MS staff enough for their labour. I visit the site almost every day not only to check news, but also to discover new bands and styles and even to practice my english comprehension. Good luck with the changes and for sure I'll be there when fund tihng is announced.

Cheers!
----
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
04.09.2021 - 18:22
ANGEL REAPER

Interesting.
I am watching you.

EDIT: and don't loose my crap!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.09.2021 - 21:02
metalwolf

Fingers crossed
----
----------------------------------------------------------
Cthulhu for President! Why settle for the lesser evil?
05.09.2021 - 02:20
Dead God

I am a web developer, let me know if I can help in any ways possible 🤘🤘
06.09.2021 - 17:48
JsbMetal

See if you can add the option to rate individual songs within an album. It will make the website far more engaging in the long run and draw more members.
----
Counterpoint
JsbMetal
06.09.2021 - 17:53
MyNameJeff

Many of us are willing to contribute to the costs of running this website.
07.09.2021 - 13:53
Numichin4

Your an amazing group of people who are giving their time and money to create this brilliant metal web site. Once you know how you can donate then I will contribute.
08.09.2021 - 07:13
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by JsbMetal on 06.09.2021 at 17:48

See if you can add the option to rate individual songs within an album. It will make the website far more engaging in the long run and draw more members.

Cool idea!
I think I've seen that on Metal Kingdom: https://metalkingdom.net
(Although I don't have an account there)
08.09.2021 - 13:12
corrupt
With a lowercase c

I can tell you right now that that's not going to happen anytime soon
Technically, the database doesn't really know about songs, the track list is one large blob for it. I'm absolutely willing to change that, but that's a hefty piece of work and, unfortunately, there's a whole bunch of stuff we have to tackle first in the near future.
----
08.09.2021 - 14:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by corrupt on 08.09.2021 at 13:12

I can tell you right now that that's not going to happen anytime soon
Technically, the database doesn't really know about songs, the track list is one large blob for it. I'm absolutely willing to change that, but that's a hefty piece of work and, unfortunately, there's a whole bunch of stuff we have to tackle first in the near future.

IMG automatically resizes if you upload band pic, album artwork, musicians,
Also it change automatically format , I can resize but I dont know how I can change to jpg and other formats what does ms support.

Also another option all users reach 100 000 posts gets promoted to the tower
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.09.2021 - 14:41
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Bad English on 08.09.2021 at 14:00

I can resize but I dont know how I can change to jpg and other formats what does ms support.

Save as/Export, maybe?
I don't know which software you are using, but even MS Paint has this function, so this shouldn't really be a problem for anyone.

Great to hear that you can resize pictures. Some of the band profile images you have added (edit: cheers to IBlackened for fixing it) tell a slightly different story though.
----
signatures = SPAM
08.09.2021 - 15:37
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Starvynth on 08.09.2021 at 14:41

Some of the band profile images you have added tell a slightly different story though.

Long boys
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
08.09.2021 - 18:28
Eternity'sChild

Great news! I can't say enough how much I appreciate this site, being here on a daily basis to read news, discover music, and keeping my collection up to date. Nice to see that there is still so much life on here (in and outside of the site's staff). Wish y'all good luck on everything you've planned!
08.09.2021 - 23:56
IBlackened

Written by Starvynth on 08.09.2021 at 14:41

Great to hear that you can resize pictures. Some of the band profile images you have added (edit: cheers to IBlackened for fixing it) tell a slightly different story though.

Thanks to your comment I saw it was messed up and decided to contribute. I don't even know the band. lol
----
Their old stuff is better.
09.09.2021 - 01:20
Clushje

Nice one, would be very interested in a separate tech writeup about the new infrastructure and what optimisations you're making!
09.09.2021 - 10:26
Desha
delicious dish
Oh damn I missed this, really cool development! You guys are doing good work, hope the move goes well this weekend. Definitely let us know about the communal funding option soon!!
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
09.09.2021 - 12:14
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Desha on 09.09.2021 at 10:26
Oh damn I missed this, really cool development! You guys are doing good work, hope the move goes well this weekend. Definitely let us know about the communal funding option soon!!

We haven't started yet. Stick around for the weekend to stare at a "we're in maintenance" site for a few hours
----
09.09.2021 - 18:01
AndreMarcos

Thank you for all the hard work through out the years!

Hits total: 6163 | This month: 7