Metal Storm logo
The Server Move Bug Hunt Thread

Original post

Posted by corrupt, 11.09.2021 - 15:16
Please use this thread to report your findings on whatever you think is buggy on the new server.

As announced in the news post, this is a place to collect actual bugs and issues, not ideas yet and also not general issues with site functionality. Just problems that weren't there before the move but are now
25.09.2021 - 03:53
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Updates section "New releases" no longer updating as of 9/9. Albums are releasing, but no longer generating updates.
25.09.2021 - 20:02
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
The Bandcamp link for Necrophobic doesn't work. Does Necrophobic not have a bandcamp account or is this a bug?
25.09.2021 - 20:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by F3ynman2000 on 25.09.2021 at 20:02

The Bandcamp link for Necrophobic doesn't work. Does Necrophobic not have a bandcamp account or is this a bug?

BC players must to be updated manually , find more such bands can post it there
https://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=28567
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.09.2021 - 15:22
Redel

Written by Redel on 11.09.2021 at 23:31

I am in community_forum_new posts most of the time. Every page reload there ist muuuuch slower now (10-15 secs). But I read you are on it.

Possibly related to the server downtime yesterday, we are now at 20 sec for each reload there at my end (mobile). Do you think you can write a work around again to speed this up?
27.09.2021 - 20:09
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Hmm, I added an album but the pic didn't upload? Not sure if this is a recurring thing...
The pic is normal. JPG format, 227x332.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.09.2021 - 21:28
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Karlabos on 27.09.2021 at 20:09

Hmm, I added an album but the pic didn't upload? Not sure if this is a recurring thing...
The pic is normal. JPG format, 227x332.

Yeah, that's a new bug. Your image is not perfect because of the uneven aspect ratio, but that's not the real problem. It simply doesn't work anymore.
----
signatures = SPAM
28.09.2021 - 00:38
corrupt
With a lowercase c
I fixed a configuration mistake that allowed a single log file to grow large enough to fill up the whole hard drive. For that to become permanent, I'll need to rebuild all containers, which will happen some time in the next few days, mean a few minutes of downtime and be properly announced in advance.
----
28.09.2021 - 10:54
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by LeKiwi on 25.09.2021 at 03:53
Updates section "New releases" no longer updating as of 9/9. Albums are releasing, but no longer generating updates.

Sorry for taking so long to respond
We noticed that notifications have stopped working and are investigating that. It might yet take some time to fix as I'm honestly absolutely clueless why they don't work atm.
Your issue with the New Releases page I cannot reproduce. Can you elaborate?
----
28.09.2021 - 11:35
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by corrupt on 28.09.2021 at 10:54

I'm sure he's talking about users/updates.php, because that's where new releases of your watched and favourite bands should show up. But the list doesn't update anymore, it has been static since the weekend of the server move.
----
signatures = SPAM
28.09.2021 - 11:37
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Starvynth on 28.09.2021 at 11:35
I'm sure he's talking about users/updates.php, because that's where new releases of your watched and favourite bands should show up. But the list doesn't update anymore, it has been static since the weekend of the server move.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah well, as you know, we're on it

Apart from the imminent production-critical issues, this has priority to us, people. It will get fixed asap!
----
29.09.2021 - 05:51
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by corrupt on 28.09.2021 at 10:54

Sorry for taking so long to respond
We noticed that notifications have stopped working and are investigating that. It might yet take some time to fix as I'm honestly absolutely clueless why they don't work atm.

No problem! I mean the "new releases" section of the updates page. We get these update notifications every Fri usually, but haven't received any since 9/9.

29.09.2021 - 17:31
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia

There's a weird grey thingy under the MS logo... And it's actually Radu's review of the Watching From A Distance live at Roadburn (it's 100% functional, if you click on it it gets you to the review).
And when going all the way to the end of the recent reviews, of course now there's a hole

Not really a major bug since it's probably gonna disappear when another review is posted
29.09.2021 - 17:40
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Roman Doez on 29.09.2021 at 17:31
There's a weird grey thingy under the MS logo... And it's actually Radu's review of the Watching From A Distance live at Roadburn (it's 100% functional, if you click on it it gets you to the review).
And when going all the way to the end of the recent reviews, of course now there's a hole
Not really a major bug since it's probably gonna disappear when another review is posted

That looks like a caching issue to me. Have to tried to ctrl+f5 the site? (reload without cache).
----
29.09.2021 - 18:11
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by corrupt on 29.09.2021 at 17:40

That looks like a caching issue to me. Have to tried to ctrl+f5 the site? (reload without cache).

Just did that, tried several times, sadly didn't work
29.09.2021 - 21:39
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Roman Doez on 29.09.2021 at 17:31

There's a weird grey thingy under the MS logo... And it's actually Radu's review of the Watching From A Distance live at Roadburn

That wasn't mine
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
29.09.2021 - 23:25
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by RaduP on 29.09.2021 at 21:39

That wasn't mine

My bad, I thought it was yours for sure (probably since there was no rating), didn't bother checking out like an idiot, apology to SSUS for the lack of credit
30.09.2021 - 00:07
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Attribution doesn't change the fact that I cannot reproduce your issue. Not even using Chrome
----
30.09.2021 - 05:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I'm also able to click right under where it says \\_next and it links to some review...doesn't always work tho. I think that bug has been there for a while and comes on and off over the last few years.
30.09.2021 - 05:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by LeKiwi on 30.09.2021 at 05:04

I'm also able to click right under where it says \\_next and it links to some review...doesn't always work tho. I think that bug has been there for a while and comes on and off over the last few years.

Yeah, I remember that bug. Also there was a time where there used to be a little gray tile of a review there that nobody knew what was until they clicked.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.09.2021 - 22:48
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Good to know that this affects multiple people. I'm a bit busy with other work right now but I'll try to investigate what's going wrong there and maybe I can find a setup that reproduces the issue asap.
----
07.10.2021 - 21:48
Redel

Written by Redel on 27.09.2021 at 15:22

in community_forum_new posts:

Still 18-20 sec for each reload in there for me.
No chance you can rebuild the fix that you had already built for this before that server downtime 10 days ago?
That brought the reload time down to 2-3 sec, which I found totally acceptable.
Now I am having a bit of a hard time there.
Not meaning to push this thing, I understand you are busy with other stuff right now, just pulling it up on the table again.
07.10.2021 - 23:40
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Redel on 07.10.2021 at 21:48
No chance you can rebuild the fix that you had already built for this before that server downtime 10 days ago?

I know. And I'm sorry I haven't been able to do something about it. We're investigating the issue but it's a hard one to track down. There's a few things we have in the pipeline to try but the last and next couple of weeks I'm unfortunately a little swamped to actually sit down and focus on these things
----
08.10.2021 - 13:36
Redel

Written by corrupt on 07.10.2021 at 23:40

I know. And I'm sorry I haven't been able to do something about it. We're investigating the issue but it's a hard one to track down. There's a few things we have in the pipeline to try but the last and next couple of weeks I'm unfortunately a little swamped to actually sit down and focus on these things

Thank you. I promise to wait patiently.
09.10.2021 - 09:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I use chrome, I have this problem like 6 years no, maybe 3 I dont remember. When I watch YT video full screen bottom dont work, I need go to YT to see on full scream, same from mobile
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.10.2021 - 19:53
corrupt
With a lowercase c

I should have paid more attention to what you said. During that downtime we actually did lose a config change that I made which was causing this further slowdown compared to before. I restored that change and the site now loads reasonably fast again.
----
14.10.2021 - 20:06
Redel

Written by corrupt on 14.10.2021 at 19:53

I should have paid more attention to what you said. During that downtime we actually did lose a config change that I made which was causing this further slowdown compared to before. I restored that change and the site now loads reasonably fast again.

It does indeed. Thanks for fixing it -- and for paying attention eventually
22.10.2021 - 18:03
Redel

In community_forum_new posts:

Damn, we are back at 20 sec for each reload in there since yesterday (or is it my end?).
Got that fix killed again?
22.10.2021 - 19:11
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Redel on 22.10.2021 at 18:03

Damn, we are back at 20 sec for each reload in there since yesterday (or is it my end?).

Nope. Same here.
----
signatures = SPAM
23.10.2021 - 22:35
Redel

Written by Starvynth on 22.10.2021 at 19:11

Written by Redel on 22.10.2021 at 18:03

Nope. Same here.

It is fast again now, at least for me.
30.10.2021 - 21:38
Redel

Just curious:
I remember having read somewhere that we wanted to go to German time with the server move, right?
Well, it is 9:30 pm here right now. And I just received a time stamp on a post of 10:30 pm.
Tonight we will have a time shift once again, summer time ends, means German time will even be one hour more away from current "metal storm time".
Are we still in the process of changing the metal storm time zone? Or have I misunderstood something?