01. Chthonic Exordium
02. Chime Diabolicus
03. Blood Ornaments
04. Those Who Absorb The Night
05. Corpus Asunder
06. Scattered Into Dark
07. Instruments Of Somber Finality
08. The Torture Never Stops [W.A.S.P. cover] [Limited edition]

The first gulp from the glass of Hooded Menace will give you death doom, but at the bottom of the glass heavy metal is waiting for you.

It should be absolutely no surprise to anyone remotely familiar with Hooded Menace that their brand of death doom can be pretty melodic. Which, to the unfamiliar reader might bring images of Swallow The Sun or Saturnus, but Hooded Menace operate within a melodic space that is a bit different. They never shied away from their love of all things doom, regardless of shape or form. You could hear bits of stoner doom in Effigies Of Evil, bits of funeral doom in Darkness Drips Forth, and Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed is the closest that the band has gotten to sounding like old Paradise Lost. In short, Hooded Menace know how to subtly shake things up while still keeping the death doom core intact, and so far they've never disappointed with the resulting onslaught.

And if you're wondering what seasoning they're adding to their death doom sound this time around, they added a W.A.S.P. cover just to make sure that there is no room for doubt. Though something like Candlemass and Paradise Lost influences have pretty much always been part of their sound, and they're still clearly apparent here, this is probably the first time that their music has conjured images of Witchfinder General, Saint Vitus, or Mercyful Fate. But with, you know, the trademark death growls instead. The riffing retains the sorrowful doom tone, but there's such a muscular retro vibe, bringing it to the cleanest riffs you'd have heard on a Hooded Menace album so far.

Vocals aside, The Tritonus Bell strips most of the death from the death doom package, leaving room for the doom to flourish in its own retro form. There are shapes abound, with there being a pretty big gothic presence in "Those Who Absorb The Night" and even melodramatic clean vocals to contrast the galloping riffs of "Corpus Asunder". Though much of it still stays in rotting slow tempos, it's quite strange to hear Hooded Menace go this upbeat and it not sounding at all awkward. Hearing a Denner-esque solo erupt somehow doesn't feel out of pace. And to completely drive home the point, if you're listening to the right version of the album, once "The Torture Never Stops" comes around, it would feel at home amidst the other Hooded Menace tracks.

I'm quite pleasantly surprised by this heffy detour and how organically it was pulled off. I just hope Hooded Menace don't get too ambitious the next time they decide to season their sound and accidentally bite more than they can chew. But judging by how well they pulled The Tritonus Bell, I'm probably overthinking.

Written on 14.09.2021 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 130 users
15.09.2021 - 00:08
nikarg

Hooded Menace rule. The King Diamond / Mercyful Fate influence on this album and the part Andy LaRocque played are more than obvious. This is a heavy doom album with growls and yet another slight shift in their sound. As you say, they know how to subtly shake things up with each release. I really love this band.
15.09.2021 - 12:07
bleak
Account deleted
I love the new elements on this album. They did it very organically. This record is a lot of fun.
15.09.2021 - 15:12
Rating: 9
Charlotbk

Really love this album and like Nikarg the King Diamond / Mercyful Fate influence is so good!
17.09.2021 - 21:32
FYA
Destroyer
Skeletorcore
24.09.2021 - 16:04
Deadsoulman

I hadn't listened to Hooded Menace since Effigies Of Evil and I didn't expect the heavy metal side of their music to be so prominent. It's a very pleasant surprise. Excellent album.
01.10.2021 - 15:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Sounds a lot like ye olde Entombed and modern Carcass at various points. As for the metal bit, "Instruments of Somber Finality" - around the 1min mark or so as it progresses, omit the lead guitar that comes in and the basic riff sounds like RATT circa 1984. Kept waiting for "LAY IT DOWN!, LAY IT DOWN!"

Enjoying the album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.11.2021 - 16:31
Rating: 8
metalbrat

Perfect description about their style. First time listener but loved it.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘

Hits total: 1965 | This month: 6