01. The Tendencies Of A Madman
02. Absolute Destruction
03. The Execution Of The Damned
04. Misleading Evil
05. The Fallen
06. Under The Influence
07. Apocalypse Dawn
08. Road To Nowhere

The year is 2017 and thrash metal has been injected with a syringe of an adrenaline-like substance called Misleading Evil. Hazzerd’s debut album revives all the best elements of 80's-style thrash: fast riffs, energetic vocals, blistering guitar solos, apocalypse-themed lyrics, and drumming that makes you headbang until your neck snaps.

The sound is super crisp, with crunchy, rhythmic riffs and crystal-clear, highly technical guitar solos. And then there's the star of the whole show: Dylan Westendorp. He's the band’s drummer, as well as the lead vocalist and the lyricist. His voice is extremely engaging and entertaining - clean but with a certain thrashy edge, delivering addictive in-your-face vocals. Every musician contributes wonderfully to the entire product: a catchy, energetic, and fun rollercoaster of metal!

Each and every song on this album is fantastic. The lyrical themes are very enjoyable and intriguing throughout, whether it's about a madman escaping the justice system, senseless war, the end of the world, or simply driving fast cars while drunk! But the album's true gift is the unparalleled talented performance and the nuanced song structure.

The first song, “Tendencies Of A Madman", takes no prisoners and opens with a fiery fury of drums before the guitar riffs come charging in, instantly grabbing your attention. Speed is the main theme throughout this album. Songs like “Execution Of The Damned” and “Under The Influence” deliver relentless drumming, a maelstrom of lightning-fast guitar solos, and tireless singing. “Absolute Destruction” might be my favorite track on here simply because of the extremely catchy chorus! Along with backing vocals and riffing that make my heart beat twice as fast, this song is a relentless joyride before finishing with a majestic piece of soloing.

The brilliance of Misleading Evil is that it doesn't rely only on insane speed. It also provides unexpected changes of pace, switching suddenly to very melodic instrumental sections. I can't describe with words how my heart soars when I hear that emotional solo from 3:57 to 4:55 in the song "Execution Of The Damned" - you'll have to listen for yourself!
The title track is a purely instrumental song that epitomizes all the album’s best traits. It starts with very calm guitar-work - almost reminiscent of Pink Floyd's psychedelic rock. And then, the heavy, crunchy guitar riffs once again take control. But only a few minutes later, the song takes a full 180-turn with the introduction of elegant and mesmerizing guitar-work. Despite it lasting almost 8 minutes, the song never gets boring thanks to these surprising changes in pace.

Another highlight is “The Fallen”, with machine-gun-like drumming, followed by some of the most nuanced and eargasmically beautiful guitar soloing that thrash metal has ever seen! The haunting yet satisfying bass plays a prominent role in setting the atmosphere of “Apocalypse Dawn”. I get goosebumps every time after “Apocalypse dawn brings eternal night!”, when the backing vocals come in to sing as one somber angelic choir.

The album ends in “Road To Nowhere” with an absolutely divine piece of acoustic guitar playing mixed with drums that sound like the rhythm of a marching army. The final notes fade to black, and I'm left wanting to spin it all from the beginning again.

Misleading Evil is a masterpiece of thrash metal. It is ultra fast, but also offers impressive melodic instrumental sections. The songwriting is very intelligent, the vocal delivery is captivating, the chaotic storm of guitar solos is master-class, and the entire experience is just so fun and addicting!

Well, as Hazzerd announced on their second track, “We are on a mission - of absolute destruction!”
And all I can say in response is: “Mission accomplished!”

Written by F3ynman2000 | 05.10.2021

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 46 users
06.10.2021 - 07:37
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Excellent review! You describe the album in such great detail, it sounds like you've discovered a hidden gem, I have to check this out
06.10.2021 - 08:11
nikarg
staff
Man, you do know how to sell an album! I am pretty sure we nominated their LP in last year's Awards but I don't think I have listened to this one. Probably going to rectify that later today.

Also, first review? Congratulations!
06.10.2021 - 15:21
Rating: 9
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 06.10.2021 at 07:37

Excellent review! You describe the album in such great detail, it sounds like you've discovered a hidden gem

Thanks for leaving a comment! Yeah, I think I first found this actually a year ago (September 2020) when it was recommended to me on YouTube from the channel "New Wave of Old School Thrash Metal". I found it absolutely amazing on my first listen, but I saw that it wasn't that well known.
This was before I had discovered Metal Storm, and I was mainly on the lookout for "classic" metal releases. So I didn't give Misleading Evil a second listen until a couple of weeks ago. After revisiting it, I was blown away once again, and I felt it deserved a review from me - Hazzerd's new addict!
I first wrote all my feelings down, describing the buildup, climax, and finale of every song.... but it turned out to be 1000 words long - woops! So I shortened it to this final product you see here (it reads so well because it was my fourth draft ).
I hope you enjoy the album - cheers!
07.10.2021 - 03:32
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
staff
Great review and thank you for bringing these Canadian guys to my attention. Killer album for sure!
07.10.2021 - 18:27
nonZero
Great review! I agree with your description of a "fun rollercoaster of metal", certainly an overlooked one at that. I really need to start writing reviews...
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
07.10.2021 - 18:32
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.10.2021 at 15:21

I enjoyed the album, and your right, It's a very good album indeed! I still can't get over the fact though that the drummer is also the lead singer it's not exactly the most common thing to hear, proberbly because it requires such an extreme level of multi tasking skills
08.10.2021 - 13:34
musclassia
staff
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 07.10.2021 at 18:32

Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.10.2021 at 15:21

I enjoyed the album, and your right, It's a very good album indeed! I still can't get over the fact though that the drummer is also the lead singer it's not exactly the most common thing to hear, proberbly because it requires such an extreme level of multi tasking skills

Drummer/vocalists will always amaze me, particularly ones playing complex styles
08.05.2022 - 00:39
Qualeen
I agree with your descriptions to a frighteningly exact degree . Most of all, I agree with your view of the tasty guitar sound (I find it so meaty I might substitute my next KFC visit with a spin of this album) and that of the vocals' being engaging. The vocals balance these two qualities of raw energy and precision very well. "Absolute Destruction" also was my favorite song on this, it gave me Hangar 18 vibes

Brilliant review btw!
----
So imminently visible - this cloaked innocent guilt
Sentenced to a lifetime, a second of structured chaos
Trampled by the ferocious, raging crowds of solitude
I'm the soil beneath me soaking up the sustenance of my own death.
[Meshuggah]
08.05.2022 - 13:30
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by Qualeen on 08.05.2022 at 00:39

I agree with your descriptions to a frighteningly exact degree . Most of all, I agree with your view of the tasty guitar sound (I find it so meaty I might substitute my next KFC visit with a spin of this album) and that of the vocals' being engaging. The vocals balance these two qualities of raw energy and precision very well. "Absolute Destruction" also was my favorite song on this, it gave me Hangar 18 vibes

Brilliant review btw!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you listened to this underrated gem of pure thrash energy!
23.07.2023 - 05:36
Guib
Thrash Talker
Great review, this is indeed one beast of an album!
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here

Hits total: 1349 | This month: 13