05. Destiny
06. Little Bird
07. Why
08. Just A Matter Of Time
09. Hell Is For Children [Pat Benatar cover]
10. Summer Lightning
11. Instinct
12. Strength

Very good record, but not as strong as the previous one.

Mana was one of the greatest surprises of 2019 for me: an incredibly catchy gothic album with some strong new wave vibes in the style of bands like The Cure. Back then, I could still call these guys Idle Hands. Now, it’s Unto Others, a name that isn’t as good as the previous one, if I’m honest.

Coincidentally, I feel like the sentiment of “not as good as the previous one” can also be said about the album itself. That said, there are still a lot of good things going on with Strength.

First of all, I can safely say almost every hallmark of Idle... I mean, Unto Others is present on Strength: the charismatic and unique vocals, the new wave vibes, strong pace and flow, etc. Why does this get a lower score than Mana (which I gave a 9)? Well, you see... while everything is mostly in place, I do feel like there’s one significant thing missing. And that thing is the catchy nature of most of the songs on the album. Like I mentioned before, the previous album was incredibly catchy in terms of choruses. This one is solid (tracks like “Hell Is For Children”, “Why” and “Downtown” prove that), but I wouldn’t say it’s consistently on the same level as tracks like “Jackie”, “Nightfall or “Give Me To The Night”. As a result, the songs are a little less distinct from each other. Let’s just say that with Mana, I could identify all the songs (by name) after two listens, and that’s not the case with Strength. Imagine running into someone you knew really well, but you haven’t seen them in years and you need a second to realise it’s him/her. Well, Strength is like that, whereas Mana is that friend you instantly recognize from a distance just on their body language alone.

Now, what are some of the biggest strengths of Unto Others’s latest work? The production is top-notch. It has a beautiful balance in its mix; all the instruments have a strong presence throughout the record without overwhelming each other or the vocals. A very modern production, with a bit of old-school flair added to it for extra style points.

The performances from the band members are as strong as ever. They manage to keep the energy going throughout the whole album and spice things up when necessary. It almost sounds so effortless for them to make something engaging.

All in all, there’s not much more to say about Strength. It’s a good record through and through. It doesn’t reach the same heights as the previous one, but let’s be honest, that’s a really high bar to reach. Much like with Crescent’s Carving The Fires Of Akhet, I was looking for that second album experience that solidifies a band as one of my favourites in the (sub)genre. Strength does deliver in that way for sure. It’s an extremely enjoyable listen, one that’s easy to get into and also to recommend.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 12.10.2021 by You know I'm right, you just haven't realised it yet...

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 139 users
12.10.2021 - 15:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hate this name, from all names in the universe they chose this one. Boring name.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2021 - 18:41
Rating: 9
Uxküll

How was I unaware of this release, loved their previous release. Great review.
----
"Nullum unquam exstitit magnum igenium sine aliqua dementia [there was never great genius without some madness]."

Best of Metal A-Z: http://metalstorm.net/users/lists.php?user_id=158339
12.10.2021 - 19:24
nikarg

Written by Bad English on 12.10.2021 at 15:32

I hate this name, from all names in the universe they chose this one. Boring name.

I am not sure if you know, but they have chosen names that are taken from famous proverbs:
a) "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you"
b) "Idle hands are the devil's workshop"
I do find "Idle Hands" a better name by far.

I agree in general with the review, this album is less catchy and not as instantly memorable compared to Mana. The surprise element is also missing since this is not a debut. But I find it heavier, extremely enjoyable, and the only track I'd leave outside would probably be "Little Bird".
12.10.2021 - 21:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 12.10.2021 at 19:24

Written by Bad English on 12.10.2021 at 15:32

I am not sure if you know, but they have chosen names that are taken from famous proverbs:
a) "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you"
b) "Idle hands are the devil's workshop"
I do find "Idle Hands" a better name by far.

I agree in general with the review, this album is less catchy and not as instantly memorable compared to Mana. The surprise element is also missing since this is not a debut. But I find it heavier, extremely enjoyable, and the only track I'd leave outside would probably be "Little Bird".

NO I did not knew it, but in proverb it sounds cool, but not in a band name, but then again let music do the talking
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.10.2021 - 01:04
Rating: 8
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Uxküll on 12.10.2021 at 18:41

How was I unaware of this release, loved their previous release. Great review.

Time to catch up then. Some good music waiting for you.
13.10.2021 - 12:55
Tornado Of Souls

Really good review, i agree that this album certainly doesn't have the memorability factor of the predecessor, while still being very good in general.
14.10.2021 - 10:33
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
What's up with those vocals? They sound absolutely horrible! Weird singing and out of place reverb..
14.10.2021 - 11:04
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Fallen Ghost on 14.10.2021 at 10:33

What's up with those vocals? They sound absolutely horrible! Weird singing and out of place reverb..

I really like them tbh. Like I mentioned it's one of those things that reminds me a bit of The Cure.
14.10.2021 - 12:06
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by tominator on 14.10.2021 at 11:04

Written by Fallen Ghost on 14.10.2021 at 10:33

I really like them tbh. Like I mentioned it's one of those things that reminds me a bit of The Cure.

Maybe i'd get them if I would give them more than the chance I gave them, but my firsti mpressions didn't hit home for me.
04.11.2021 - 14:12
Rating: 10
Samot

Amazing Album .....probably my favorite of 2021!
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!
04.12.2021 - 13:24
Numichin4

Well written and accurate review. I had high expectations that this album could carry them further into the mainstream, but instead it is a stumble along the way.
08.01.2022 - 17:16
tintinb

Actually the out of place reverb makes it sound so good to me.
----
Leeches everywhere.
10.02.2022 - 03:28
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Overall this is very much Sisters Of Mercy influenced, which is actually a good thing.

Hits total: 2059 | This month: 16