Metal Storm logo
Zeal & Ardor - New Single Out

As part of their forthcoming self-titled studio record, Zeal & Ardor premiere the following single - "Götterdämmerung". The new music effort is scheduled for February 11th, 2022 official release.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Zeal & Ardor
Posted: 15.10.2021 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 107 users
15.10.2021 - 14:12
UnknownCheese
That main riff sounds like something Trapt would play. Fuckin' lol. Then you got the welfare Opeth section at the end. Was totally worth pausing Ynkleudherhenavogyon for the laugh.
15.10.2021 - 15:01
Lanthros
I won't say it sucks but this by fat my least favorite song they've ever done.
15.10.2021 - 15:44
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Not great, not terrible
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
15.10.2021 - 16:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Black metal/alternative rock

I love it.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.10.2021 - 16:33
Zap
I have no idea what this band is going for anymore. Every time I check out a new single it's something completely different and usually not that great.
16.10.2021 - 03:44
Aries Rising
Written by Zap on 15.10.2021 at 16:33

I have no idea what this band is going for anymore. Every time I check out a new single it's something completely different and usually not that great.

It's hipster music, like Deafhaven and most modern tech death.
16.10.2021 - 11:37
Zap
Written by Aries Rising on 16.10.2021 at 03:44

It's hipster music, like Deafhaven and most modern tech death.

And what exactly does that mean? I don't see what tech death, Z&A and Deafheaven have in common.

I used to like this band (even though I suppose they were "hipster music" to begin with) because the music was creative and the artist was able to draw from different influences to create something fresh, cohesive, and focused (unfortunately sometimes to its detriment, since songs started having the same structure over and over and began sounding the same). Now, it seems derivative and aimless, which is unfortunate because I wanted them to mix it up, just not like this.
16.10.2021 - 15:20
RiouxMax
Written by Zap on 15.10.2021 at 16:33

I've been feeling the same! Devil is Fine and Stranger Fruit are suuuch good albums, filled with catchy songs exploring a broad spectrum of sounds. Everything released after seems so bland and forgettable to me.
16.10.2021 - 15:23
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I'm surprised ppl don't seem to like the blackened Creed thing. It's still an unique and original thing to do.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.10.2021 - 20:53
Aries Rising
Written by Zap on 16.10.2021 at 11:37

Written by Aries Rising on 16.10.2021 at 03:44

It's hipster music, like Deafheaven and most modern tech death.

And what exactly does that mean? I don't see what tech death, Z&A and Deafheaven have in common.

I used to like this band (even though I suppose they were "hipster music" to begin with) because the music was creative and the artist was able to draw from different influences to create something fresh, cohesive, and focused (unfortunately sometimes to its detriment, since songs started having the same structure over and over and began sounding the same). Now, it seems derivative and aimless, which is unfortunate because I wanted them to mix it up, just not like this.

Bit of a stretch I know, but to me Deafheaven and Zeal are both "black metal" bands made by people who've probably aren't actual fans of Black metal or have even taken the time to learn about the genre, so it comes off as disingenuous. Deafheaven is a shoegaze band pretending to be black metal and their latest release kind of prove that, and Z&A comes off as some dude whose just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks and probably has only heard of like two black metal albums in his entire life.

TL;DR Neither band look or sound like musicians who are truly fans of black metal or its history therefore come off as insincere.

As for tech death, most bands nowadays look and sound like burnt out jazz musicians who are more concerned being as technical or brutal as possible and forget to make good music that has some lasting appeal. Modern tech death becomes an tedious exercise of trying to find a memorable moment in a 45 minute to an hour long album.

Maybe I'm just being an old fart yelling at clouds.
17.10.2021 - 11:21
tintinb
Written by Karlabos on 16.10.2021 at 15:23

I'm surprised ppl don't seem to like the blackened Creed thing. It's still an unique and original thing to do.

I like it. Dunno what the complaining is all about. Fucking loved run and love this single too. They still sound very unique to me.
----
Leeches everywhere.
18.10.2021 - 17:47
Zap
Written by Aries Rising on 16.10.2021 at 20:53

Maybe I'm just being an old fart yelling at clouds.

Maybe.

I don’t necessarily disagree with what you say about the music; I also find most tech death tedious, I don’t like Deafheaven (although I don’t care whether they are “fans of black metal or its history”) and the (recent) Z&A also sounds to me like someone “throwing things at the wall to see what sticks” (although again, I don’t care how many black metal albums he’s heard in his life).

That said, I still don’t see the point of lumping them all together as “hipster music”, since, to the best of my knowledge, tech death is trying to achieve something completely different than Deafheaven or Z&A. One is a genre (overly) concerned with technical musicianship, while those two bands blend black metal or pseudo-black metal with something outside of metal. I don't think they have that many fans in common, but I could be wrong.

Hits total: 1325 | This month: 13