Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 11 Issue #10 - Awesome New Demos and EPs

Written by: nikarg, RaduP, musclassia, Starvynth
Published: 08.11.2021

Clandestine Cuts Volume 11, Issue #10
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Brand New Independent Metal Lives Here.
Welcome to the Clandestine Cuts!

Is independent, unsigned, and underground metal what you seek? Weary traveller of the metal world, rest here a while. Clandestine Cuts are the best demos and EPs from these bands, the heart and soul of metal music. These musicians are slaves to their passions, and their blood keeps the metal machine alive and turning. Support them with a simple listen, and discover the future.

Metal Storm users: you can vote in the poll below to choose your favourite demo/EP of the issue. The winners each year are nominated in our annual Metal Storm Awards so exercise your rights: this is the one category chosen completely by YOU the readers. Make sure your favourite independent metal is recognized each year!

(Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Email nikarg@metalstorm.net to submit your music.)

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:

Clandestine Cuts Vol. 11 #09
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 11 #08
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 11 #07

And now to the new music...

Svmmer Kamp - Svmmertime Madness (Croatia)
[Instrvmental Svrf Black Metal]

I got my corpse paint on tonight
Svrfin' in the dark, in the pale sunlight
I got my svncreen on, ice qveen style
Spiked bracelets on, I'm feelin' alive

Oh, my Lord, I feel it in the air
The freezing svn above is sizzlin' like a snare
Honey, I'm frostbitten, I feel it everywhere
Nothin' scares me anymore

(One, two, three, fovr)
Kill me hard before yov go
Svmmertime madness
I jvst wanted yov to know
That baby, yov're the kvltest

I got that svmmertime, svmmertime madness
Sv-sv-svmmertime, svmmertime madness
Got that svmmertime, svmmertime madness
Oh, oh-oh, oh-oh

by RaduP

Varnok - Anthropogenic (USA)
[Thrash Metal]

I know a bunch of thrash trios or four-...os? Fiveos? Anyway. There's also Toxic Holocaust which used to be just Joel Grind doing everything. But I can't say I can think of any thrash duos. For pretty much any other genre (that matters) I can think of at least one. Now this isn't to say that Varnok only have two instruments playing at a time, but that Ralex handles bass, guitars, and vocals, giving each of those all the attention necessary. I'm not sure how it works in a live setting, but Anthropogenic has a lot of bass, and the production puts a lot of emphasis on that. It's clearly not a "professional" job, as Ralex is also in charge of the mix and master, while Baca, the drummer, did the artwork. But Anthropogenic sounds lo-fi in a really cool way, and that's not only in how bassy it is. That's 25 minutes of thrash that's pretty close to the heavy metal side of things, you know, the kind that doesn't shy away from mid tempo riffing. But I must admit, the production sets it apart more than the songwriting.

by RaduP

The Book - Sculptures Of The Gods (Czech Republic)
[Heavy Metal]

The Book is a four-piece from the Czech Republic that was formed in 2018 from the ashes of Žrec after the latter disbanded. They play traditional heavy metal and their demo is very much helped by the organic production, but as a whole it doesn’t sound so traditional because it is mixed with more extreme genres. You can hear some sick thrashy riffs on it, a few more doomy parts, as well as some U.S. power metal passages, and there are even harsh vocals too. The music reveals influences that begin from Satan, Mercyful Fate, and Black Sabbath and go as far as to touch on Bathory, Iced Earth, and Celtic Frost. However, this is not your average rehashing trad metal release, it’s not a senseless mix and match of styles, but an eclectic and enjoyable piece of music that sounds as authentic as it possibly can in a style where everything has already been invented a long time ago. The two songs featured here are quite different from each other and I would be very intrigued to listen to a full-length album by this band.

by nikarg

Eonian - The Nomad (USA/Spain)
[Symphonic Melodeath]

When is a solo project not a solo project? Arguably when there’s a dozen musicians playing on the record. Eonian is an extreme symphonic metal project founded by US-based Spanish guitarist Jaume Antuñano, although he has recruited the likes of drummer Freddy Ortscheid (ex-Entrails) and DM (Helioss) on vocals to bring his vision to fruition. The Nomad, the first offering from the project, flies by in a blaze of full-pelt melodeath riffs, blasts and grandiose mid-tempo marches, with each song capped off by intelligently implemented chorals and orchestrations (courtesy of Diego Soldi), as well as some exciting solo moments, such as the stirring folky violin solo in “Versus The Titan”. Kinetic and dramatic, The Nomad is a blast of a debut.

by musclassia

Lichfield - Dead Trees (Germany)
[Gothic Metal | Melodic Death / Doom Metal]

Lichfield is a new project from Germany that define themselves as a "dark metal" band. Their music is a throwback to the '90s sound of iconic acts, such as Amorphis, Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Anathema, and Sentenced. If you like any, or all, of the aforementioned bands, you will almost surely enjoy Dead Trees. The music of Lichfield is gripping and lush, always melancholic but with a more uptempo approach than what is normally expected from doom metal. The melodies by ex-Anubis guitarist, Sebastian Kraus, are gloomy and bittersweet, and the use of keyboards serves to make the music a bit more dramatic. The clean vocals have a distinct gothic timbre, while the harsh ones are mostly deep death metal growls, and less often they take the form of hellish, blackened shrieks. Lichfield do not try to hide their influences, since they finish this EP with a cover version of "Black Winter Day". Dead Trees is a very promising debut EP, reviving a sound that is loved by many metalheads, and leaving much hope for the future.

by nikarg

Earthwomb - Becoming Immanence (Peru)
[Atmospheric Black Metal]

There are probably not too many atmospheric black metal bands hailing from the Andes of South America that consist of musicians deeply rooted in grindcore, deathcore and technical death metal through their previous projects. Formed in 2019 in Peru's capital city, Earthwomb prove with their first EP that the combination of technical finesse, a heavy, powerful sound, and an unerring instinct for pitch-black melodies works surprisingly well when you can boast a vocalist whose high-pitched, piercing screams and bloodcurdling growls recall the unbridled brutality of Travis Ryan (Cattle Decapitation) or Will Ramos (Lorna Shore). Becoming Immanence offers everything you can hope for from modern black metal: very varied song structures full of dynamics and tempo changes, concise riff thunderstorms, a top-notch production, and a horror-inducing, threatening atmosphere. It might as well be the soundtrack to an astronaut's nightmare come true - the free fall through the icy cold of space into a giant black hole that suffocates the last desperate cry and obliterates any memory of it.

by Starvynth

Poll

What's your favourite new release this issue?

Login or register to vote. Results are hidden

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 87 users
08.11.2021 - 11:55
corrupt
With a lowercase c
What the hell is even Svmmer Kamp?
----
08.11.2021 - 13:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by corrupt on 08.11.2021 at 11:55

What the hell is even Svmmer Kamp?

Trve kvlt californian svrf metal!
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.11.2021 - 14:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Svurf blåk måtel was cool, same time cesky metaly was ok. But my vote goes for deutche..
Maco is from Peru and often talks about true metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.11.2021 - 16:45
Mehrad

Pretty weak compared to previous CCs IMO. The Book was the best one, and Svurf blåk måtel was cool too.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
08.11.2021 - 17:43
musclassia

Damn that bass cuts right through on Varnok, fair play

The Book is pretty great, yes I'm not inclined towards the trad-heavy parts, but they do a good job balancing the trad metal with the more intense extreme sections. Lichfield was pretty solid too, but it came down to between Eonian and Earthwomb for me, and had to give it to the latter, a very accomplished release that is
08.11.2021 - 22:22
Nejde
CommunityManager
I'm with Starvynth on this one.
08.11.2021 - 22:35
LifelikeAdvisor

My two favorites from this selection are The Book and Lichfield, for similar reasons I suppose; they both bring in different inspirations and blend them into their own mixture. I like that Lichfield builds on a throwback sound with the melancholic cleans and extreme growls, which ultimately sold my vote to them.

The Book probably would have won out though if they had more songs to showcase because I really like their approach.
08.11.2021 - 22:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeah, that Earthwomb release was pretty great.

I'd go for Svmmer Camp if it had vocals or if it was a tad longer, but as it is Earthwomb takes the spot for me
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.11.2021 - 23:14
nikarg

I haven't made up my mind on which release I will vote for yet, but for me Radu has won the best write-up award for the second month in a row with Svmmer Kamp. Last month it was the write-up of Dark Watcher. And to give credit where credit is due, both releases were brought to our attention by Karlabos.
15.11.2021 - 14:51
Al-thor

Lichfield just about edged it for me, Eonian and Earthworm came close and will be keep an ear out for all three. Thanks for pulling this together have ended up purchasing a fair few CC's over the last year or so and likely to be one or two more!
19.11.2021 - 12:26
nikarg

Written by Al-thor on 15.11.2021 at 14:51

Lichfield just about edged it for me, Eonian and Earthworm came close and will be keep an ear out for all three. Thanks for pulling this together have ended up purchasing a fair few CC's over the last year or so and likely to be one or two more!

I am also going to vote for one of these three, probably Eonian. Thanks for supporting!
19.11.2021 - 13:44
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Eonian for me too, this would be my decentding order:

1. Eonian - The Nomad
2. Earthwomb - Becoming Immanence
3. Lichfield - Dead Trees
4. The Book - Sculptures Of The Gods
5. Varnok - Anthropogenic
6. Svmmer Kamp - Svmmertime Madness
20.11.2021 - 17:25
ChapuLviz
Tropical Goat
For listening surf black metal there are Los Crveles, they've a harsh vocalist.
21.11.2021 - 23:13
Starvynth
i c deaf people
I jvst wanted yov to know
That baby, yov're the kvltest

I think it'll be absolutely impossible to ever top Radu's write-up, not even in the next 100 issues of Clandestine Cuts to come. Not only because the lyrics are hilarious, but also because they provide a really good impression of how Svmmer Kamp actually sounds like.

On a musical level, I thought Eonian and Earthwomb were extremely good, with the latter impressing me the most. Thus my vote goes to Peru.
----
signatures = SPAM
22.11.2021 - 17:26
Deadsoulman

I really enjoyed Eonian and Earthwomb and have a hard time deciding between the two. Probably the latter I guess.

The rest was ok, nothing too spectacular. Lichfield had the advantage of reminding me that I haven't listened to Sentenced in a very long time, a mistake I'm going to correct in the coming days.
14.01.2022 - 13:49
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Earthwomb. Lichfield i like the instrumental part of it, the vocals are kinda bad.

Hits total: 4631 | This month: 14