Release date: November 2003

01. Vanadis
02. ...As Long As Winds Will Blow...
03. Aduatuza
04. Donar's Oak
05. ...The Ardent Awaited Land
06. Homeward Shore
07. Farewell

Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty is argubly Falkenbach's best album, and one that should not go unnoticed by any Viking metal enthusiasts.

Little is known of this one-man band from Germany in the metal world, that is unless you delve into the Viking metal genre itself, in which case Falkenbach will be often mentioned as pioneers, even considered masters of the genre alongside the likes of Bathory's Viking era, Månegarm, and of course Moonsorrow.

Although helmed by Vratyas Vakyas, session musicians were brought in for Falkenbach's third release, Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty. On this album, Falkenbach use a great deal of traditional folk elements, even more so than on the previous release, as they wanted to create a more epic soundscape, as opposed to the blackened atmosphere of the previous releases. The style does have similarites to Moonsorrow, but unlike Moonsorrow, the songs here on Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty are more easily accessible, as most don't have a running time of 10 minutes or more.

Much like Viking-era Bathory, Falkenbach tend to use atmospherics such as ocean waves, like on the opening to the song "Vanadis", as well as the sound of horns, to give a the listener a real sense of Viking exploration and adventure. The album starts off in epic fashion with the atmospheric opener "Vanadis", which is the longest track on the album at 9:25 minutes, but the sheer quality continues throughout the entire album. In particular, the final two tracks, "Homeward Shore", and "Farewell", are argubuly the two best songs in Falkenbach's whole discogroghy; "...As Long As Winds Will Blow..." and "Donar's Oak" are also top quality songs, with some striking folk melodies.

The album Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty shows some of the best musicianship this genre has to offer, and I think it's fair to say that Falkenbach not only pulled off a classic by their standards, but for Viking metal as a whole.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by AndyMetalFreak | 22.12.2021

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 34 users
22.12.2021 - 22:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good job, good album. I this band still active no news has been heard for a long time.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.12.2021 - 22:29
Rating: 9
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Bad English on 22.12.2021 at 22:03

Good job, good album. I this band still active no news has been heard for a long time.

Thanks they are a very good band indeed, one of the best in Viking metal, I have no idea if Falkenbach have been active since their last release back in 2013, or whether or not Vratyas Vakyas has moved onto other projects since, but he did a very good job with Falkenbach.
06.03.2023 - 11:50
Rating: 8
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
I love their 1998 album. So I decided to check out the rest of their discography, and what do I find? An Andy review!

Falkenbach is the best viking folk I've listened to. So calm and entrancing. I can have it on repeat for a long time before losing interest.

My favorites are probably the first track and the last two tracks, but the whole album is a really great atmospheric journey
06.03.2023 - 11:54
Rating: 9
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.03.2023 at 11:50

I love their 1998 album. So I decided to check out the rest of their discography, and what do I find? An Andy review!

Falkenbach is the best viking folk I've listened to. So calm and entrancing. I can have it on repeat for a long time before losing interest.

My favorites are probably the first track and the last two tracks, but the whole album is a really great atmospheric journey

I remember this being one of my first review's, I always been one of my favorite albums from this genre, such an epic and majestic atmospheric journey!

Hits total: 965 | This month: 11